Carrick/McKenna upgrade?

stevoc

Carrick and Mckenna were coaching under Jose, and the team back then played differently to Ole's team and didn't have as big a problem with set pieces.

In any case, it's hard to point the finger at background staff due to lack of solid info.
The likes of Smalling and Fellaini playing regularly back then would have helped in that regard.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Is that actually true though? Did we concede the most set piece goals in the league?

It's not all the players fault, but Lindelof plays nearly every game. Do you think Lindelof is good/strong in the air? If not what can the coaches do to coach him to be better/stronger in the air?
Leeds were the worst team in the league for set-piece goals conceded (15), we were one behind them with 14. So pretty terrible, basically.

stevoc

Leeds were the worst team in the league for set-piece goals conceded (15), we were one behind them with 14. So pretty terrible, basically.
Didn't know the exact stats cheers, knew we weren't great at defending them and amongst the worst.

Where would you find those stats?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Carrick and Mckenna were coaching under Jose, and the team back then played differently to Ole's team and didn't have as big a problem with set pieces.

In any case, it's hard to point the finger at background staff due to lack of solid info.
Not that I'm pinning this on them, as it's down to the manager to make sure he has what he needs covered in his setup. But under Jose those two were just a part of a bigger coaching staff, so there influence was almost certainly a lot less.

The Siege

I personally think Ole needs more experienced heads in there. At the end of the day, he's a manager who has not been put in a lot of crunch situations at a big club where the pressure to win a trophy is super high, so he's bound to falter on some decisions. But to have two inexperienced first team coaches at the same time trying to figure their way out is too many people trying to figure too much out at a personal level. Carrick and Mckenna have more to learn under managers with experience, and Ole needs a voice (beyond Phelan) he can trust to get solid coaching advice from and grind to get the basics right.

dinostar77

Who is the Utd first team defensive coach? Thats probably the role i would target for changing. Carlos Quieroz did wonders with our defenders when he was at the club and can be credited with helping to produce probably Utd best ever back four that got to back to back CL finals (Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, Brown).

VivaRonaldo85

I don’t really know what they do on a daily basis but their CV’s alone would tell me they lack the experience or prowess to have such important jobs with the double whammy of an inexperienced manager at this top Elite level. If the manager stays, the coach positions need reviewing for me.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Are they to serve United or United is to serve them?
Dump Carrick and McKenna to reserves or junior level, I don't know which part of our game they are responsible for, but we need changes to the coaching staff. Yesterday was another example of being outplayed by fairly inferior team. This won't be solved by buying players (unless we can get Kante/Veratti level CM).

I don't know if we can a CM this summer, but either way we need to upgrade on Carrick and McKenna.

Mercurial

Who is the Utd first team defensive coach? Thats probably the role i would target for changing. Carlos Quieroz did wonders with our defenders when he was at the club and can be credited with helping to produce probably Utd best ever back four that got to back to back CL finals (Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, Brown).
I support Carlos Quieroz coming back. Would be great for us. He is top notch, kinda like our version of Mauro Tassoti.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We dont know what their influence really is, but clear to see that things in training are not really improving our wuality of football

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Everyone is over reacting. It's early in the league and we're just working our way into a rhythm, just like last season. The Leeds game was very flattering, and tricked everyone into thinking we'd hit the ground running, when in reality Leeds are just perfect for us to play against (see last season also).

If we still look like this in October then I'll be concerned.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Blaming the coaches when we don't know the dynamics of how they work is silly. How many people blame Pep's assistants for tactical mistakes.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
That ship has long sailed. Ole has stuck to them and he'll carry responsibility for what they do and how they act

Eddy_JukeZ

We don't know the dynamics of how it works.

Though if I recall correctly, they were pretty much responsible for everything regarding training/tactical input prior to Ole's 1st game in charge. We smashed Cardiff then. Our PPDA that game was the highest of any top side that season. Still remains one of our best performances under Ole.