Carrick

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
I won't say he's crap, I won't say he's been performing below par in quite a few matches this season, I just want to know why he does not learn from his mistakes. Why does he insist on dillydallying in midfield and let opponents rob the ball to create dangerous situations once or twice every 3 games? Why does he play dangerous backpasses putting his keeper in trouble?

He was an amazing threat. To our keeper.

Drainy

I won't say he's crap, I won't say he's been performing below par in quite a few matches this season, I just want to know why he does not learn from his mistakes. Why does he insist on dillydallying in midfield and let opponents rob the ball to create dangerous situations once or twice every 3 games? Why does he play dangerous backpasses putting his keeper in trouble?

He was an amazing threat. To our keeper.
I was waiting for this thread.
I usually try to avoid scapegoating but Michael Carrick has made it too hard not to blame him. He is in the team with the EXPRESS purpose of not giving the ball away and to keep it moving, but over the 2 legs all he did was give it away. I have a strong feeling he has become self-satisfied and he won't be here next season. On current form he won't be missed. Lets get a proper player with a winning mentality in the middle of the park, not some pussy who gets out muscled by everyone and bottles it in almost every big game.

SecondFig

To actually answer your question - he just needs time and space on the ball. And when that's denied to him, he panics or delays too long and is robbed. Which is a massive problem at the top level. When the team around him is rampant he can be superb, against opposition that stand off him, he can be rampant - but against a tight hardworking combative midfield he gets flustered.

Leg-End

Definatly has gone backwards since 08, he has all the qualities but I wish to feck he would man the feck up, far too many times he just doesn't commit or put his head in when its needed, case in point the first Bayern goal tonight.

marcus agrippa

Why does he insist on dillydallying in midfield and let opponents rob the ball to create dangerous situations once or twice every 3 games?
I wouldn't call it dillydallying, tbh.

I just think that for a central midfield players he's woeful at making space for himself. That static on the ball, he's bound to be robbed of it.

He's been playing with Scholes for 4 years or so. He should've learnt that art.

Brophs

The One and Only
I think he's a good player, but he's too hit-and-miss in big games. Not taking them by the scruff of the neck is one thing, but he's had too many poor performances in them in the last couple of seasons. Looks a case of not having the competition for his place that would keep him at his best, IMO. The injuries this season have really hurt us in that sense.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Far too weak for the first goal, and caught dawdling badly in midfield before what led to the second.

Puzzling because in 06/07, 07/08 he was brilliant.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Well below par all season. Awful tonight.

He has the ability but mentally he looks shot. His confidence must be at rock bottom.

Uncle Junior

Count me in now too lads, after like 14-16 months, it is time for me to jump off of the bandwagon. Not ONE good performance in this time period from him. He's gone by the end of the season I think, and I wouldn't mind at all.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I just think he's slow. He's not an intelligent player. He gets caught more often then he should. On form he's fine but even then he's not top drawer, at the minutes he's 'slow'

No doubt you'll get people defending him but how can you replace Scholes with Carrick? Ones world class and a legend and the other ain't even close to what scholes was.

Drainy

Far too weak for the first goal, and caught dawdling badly in midfield before what led to the second.

Puzzling because in 06/07, 07/08 he was brilliant.
I think he has grown self-satisfied. He doesn't have the same mentality as Giggs, Scholes, Neville etc. I believe he thinks hes proved to the world how good he is. He doesnt seem to realise that in football you are only as good as your last few games

Ekeke

One of my favourite players to watch when he's in good form. However, serious questions need to be raised about his position in our first choice starting lineup. He's been seriously wank. Thought he was brilliant against Arsenal a while ago. Other than that, he's had a pretty awful season.

Nearco

youth team player
At this point if Spurs wanted him back i'd happily exchange him for David Bentley. Or their tea lady.

beergod

unfortunately for Carrick the top teams won't stand off him and give him time in possession. the difference in his performances against teams that press hard vs teams that stand off a bit more is shocking in my opinion

Karel_Poborsky

Certainly doesn't deserve to be in the starting 11 at the present time. However, lack of any real alternatives (Scholes, Giggs needing a rest, and Park not playing well) has seen him keep his place in my opinion.

He certainly wont be sold as Uncle Junior suggested, that's just nonsense. He is a good player who is out of form. I expect to see him back to his best next season.

SittingBull

That's great and all, but what is Sergio Canales u
At United, we strive for perfection, and if we fai
He better get the fcuk out of the club next season. He is a prime example of a player losing his hunger after some successes. I would rather buy somebody like James Milner anytime, than to play that useless piece of crap.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
The bottom line for me with Carrick is that I find it hard to recall a single game where he has taken it over and dominated. I'm not even looking for the level of Keane v Juventus, just him taking ownership of a match.

This is why he is not a regular in the England team - both Gerrard and Lampard regularly do this for their clubs. Scholes has done it repeatedly...

Fair enough, they are some pretty good players to be compared too. But these players take over games on a regular/consistent basis. I cannot remember Carrick ever having done so - regardless of the opposition.

I really feel he needs to be told just how talented he is. If he does not understand and apply this knowledge, then he should not be at a club like ours.

lilcurt

Like I said how long do we accept he is in bad form for??? does there come a time when we just face that this is his ability level now and move him on or use him as a squad player.

For me we have two players in the squad him and Berba who don't do whats required of them? This summer will be interesting..

johnmufc

He was poor and it's so disappointing to see because he's proven in the past he's so much better than this.

People calling him shit or useless have very short memories though he must get his act together soon.

It's not by coincidence that our best performance this season came without him in the team. Scholes should have been given the rest on Saturday, not Carrick.
Our best performance of this season was at the Emirates in which Carrick outshone Fabregas and created two of our goals.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He better get the fcuk out of the club next season. He is a prime example of a player losing his hunger after some successes. I would rather buy somebody like James Milner anytime, than to play that useless piece of crap.
Milners a good young player. To be honest i'd even give Cleverly a shot at the role. He's quite a diverse player and ain't thick as shit on the ball

OneUnited24

Thought he was ok tonight but 2 goals were a result of him, first he knew the ref wasnt giving anything tonight and he still hit the deck under little contact. The second was just him losing the ball and us giving the corner away.

DevilsOwn

yep.

cant support him anymore. pathetic today. could have (should have?) stopped both the goals but didnt.

blame him more than rafael

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I think he has grown self-satisfied. He doesn't have the same mentality as Giggs, Scholes, Neville etc. I believe he thinks hes proved to the world how good he is. He doesnt seem to realise that in football you are only as good as your last few games
But the fact that he is constantly overlooked for England caps means surely he cannot believe this??

Pscholes18

Thought he was ok tonight but 2 goals were a result of him, first he knew the ref wasnt giving anything tonight and he still hit the deck under little contact. The second was just him losing the ball and us giving the corner away.

Olic pushed him down like Carrick was a fecking rag doll. Terrible terrible defense. Should of never put VDS in that position. I don't mind losing matches, its going to happen but to lose them with these fecking gift wrapped goals drives me fecking nuts. I'm still pissed at Neville the twat from the first leg.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
On the flip side...I think Hargreaves can see where his place in the team is when (if) he returns...

I think we would be a markedly better side with Hargreaves in for Carrick - particulary since with Fletcher and Gibson (admittedly on the back of tonight's performance) we have players who would thrive on having more freedom in the middle of the pitch.

DevilsOwn

and then he could have blocked the robben shot but chose to save his body