Carrick

Siorac

Can someone point to a game or two where Carrick has singlehandedly grabbed the game by the proverbial scruff or scored a couple of important goals to earn us three points or an important qualification
Set us on our way with a well-taken goal against Roma in 2007, in a game he was excellent in btw.
Gave us the lead against Blackburn in March 2007, in a very important game in the title race.
Won the penalty against Spurs in 2009, one of the most crucial moments of the title race.
Scored a winner against Wolfsburg in the CL group stage in 2009.

There, four games for you. And I don't even know why I bothered, since the question was incredibly stupid anyway. Carrick has many flaws but berating for his lack of goals is baffling, really...

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
He'd be world class if he didn't get so flustered when pressed, given time and space he can impose himself on a game. Unfortunately the teams we play week in week out tend to operate a pressing style against us so he can look poor against the weaker teams. On the other hand when we play sides that don't press all over the pitch or/and man-mark him he comes into his own, these tend to be sides like Chelsea who think they can give us a game and don't need to simply "destroy" our gameplan.

Interval

Level
Turn it round? We've played one game.
:lol: I know

He needs to be a bit quicker to decide what he does really, he takes too much time on the ball and our play get's bogged down quite a bit.
This is the crux. He is a fine player but seems to doubt his own decision making. If we look at all the matches in the past where he has played well, he seemed quite self assured.

We do need another in the CM area though. Especially with Fletcher really struggling to make a come back.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Can someone point to a game or two where Carrick has singlehandedly grabbed the game by the proverbial scruff or scored a couple of important goals to earn us three points or an important qualification
Wigan in 08/09 to be fair. Fantastic goal which won us the game.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Carrick is a superb pkayer to have in the PL... Its when players like iniesta.. Messi etc have a run at him when he looks to be found out....
This sums it up for me. Carrick has done well for us, he just has not stepped up to another level. He should not be blamed for that because that is not within his capability. He does not have enough in his locker to be in the top most bracket of midfielders. People should accept that and stop criticising him for it.

Interval

Level
This sums it up for me. Carrick has done well for us, he just has not stepped up to another level. He should not be blamed for that because that is not within his capability. He does not have enough in his locker to be in the top most bracket of midfielders. People should accept that and stop criticising him for it.
Yeah. Perfect summary.

The fact that he doesn't step up is also not true. I remember the match against Aston Villa where we won 3-2 with Macheda's goal. He was at the start of almost everything. Even the highlights would show you that.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
So according to your post we shouldn't criticise a player at United because he's not capable of stepping up his game and he's not in the top bracket of midfielders. At United. Really?

He scored 2
2 from 7. Well done him. It was a great night for sure, but the point remains that that seems to be the best example you can come up with. Not great one is it?

No Carrick today. Not looking good for him.
:)

KGBhoy

It's not like Cleverley and Anderson will play 50 games each for us. There will be plenty of opportunities for Carrick, Park, Fletcher and even Giggs. That midfield doesn't look so bad now!

Ole'sbodyguard

Carrick will be back in the side soon enough. I have no doubts about that, especially when the CL gets going.

Good to see Anderson getting an extended run in the team though. It's been needed for a good while.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Will be very interesting to see if he starts tomorrow. I have a feeling he will. And we will play 4-5-1

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
I think Park will be played ahead of him with Welbeck dropped (Harshly)

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Great stuff, had to go to page three for the Carrick thread. Just how I always wanted it.
I can't believe how pathetic that is...you go looking for a thread about a player you don't like, essentially to remind everyone you don't like a player, and then tell everyone how great it is that nobody's talking about him.

Sir Alex has always said Carrick gets into form from closer to Christmas time, strangely, and it's not the first time he's phased him into the team after the season's start. Hope he plays against Arsenal because he usually excels, and because Arsenal are so good at exploiting the spaces that Anderson and Cleverley obviously leave. That said, he doesn't have Fabregas to mark out of the game any more.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
I can't believe how pathetic that is...you go looking for a thread about a player you don't like, essentially to remind everyone you don't like a player, and then tell everyone how great it is that nobody's talking about him.

Sir Alex has always said Carrick gets into form from closer to Christmas time, strangely, and it's not the first time he's phased him into the team after the season's start. Hope he plays against Arsenal because he usually excels, and because Arsenal are so good at exploiting the spaces that Anderson and Cleverley obviously leave. That said, he doesn't have Fabregas to mark out of the game any more.
One might say...they attack the space

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I hope we go 442 and batter the feck outa them.

I pray Carrick won't come in just cos we're playing arsenal.
I'm not sure why you think 4-4-2 would make us anymore likely to batter them than the 4-2-3-1 we been playing so far this season.

4-4-2 does not automaticaly guarantee more goals especially against a side who despite their problems will still come to play decent possesion orientated football.

Devil may care

Carrick's is the position I was hoping we'd buy a player for in this summer, someone with more mobility, athleticism and steel, at least someone to challenge him for the holding role as it's the only position we don't have at least two options in.

I expect he will play tomorrow but I think it will just be in a 2 with Anderson, as Arsenal's midfield will most likely be Ramsey, Rosicky and Lansbury, so I don't think we'll need to play a 3 man midfield against them as we have in the past.

puNANI

He usually plays well against Arsenal. If we were to play a 4-5-1 a midfield of him, Cleverley and Anderson has the potential to work well. I don't think he will start today but he will play his part during the season. He generally kicks on in January with the exception of his dismal 2009/2010 season.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

This.

Carrick always plays better November onwards, so why not let Cleverley and Anderson get games and match experience and ease Carrick into the squad when he usually hits form. No point playing an out of form Carrick when we have other options.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Gibson? :p (just say that because injury aside, I think he'll eventually go out on loan)

Our midfield is fine. Sometimes listening to people, they expect perfection. We're in very good shape. It's up to Carrick and the like, to step up their performances. Either way they're still picking up good money. There is no divine right, especially when you are playing/performing well. Sir Alex talks about the squad because you have to manage the squad but players can help themselves. I think Carrick needs to up his game. People talk about the space in behind like they talked about rafaels height, De Gea will improve with games ..etc...It's somewhat of a myth when you talk about good/improving players who pay attention to what's required.

Brwned

Rafael's height is still a problem, and his defending was a problem. Young players have flaws in their game. Very few young players excel at the positional side of the game, generally it comes with experience. It's not a criticism. Surely you can see the opposition midfield getting in behind our midfield more often than normal with Anderson and Cleverley?

acnumber9

It happens with any midfield combination we have that doesn't involve Carrick.

Devil may care

Rafael's height is still a problem, and his defending was a problem. Young players have flaws in their game. Very few young players excel at the positional side of the game, generally it comes with experience. It's not a criticism. Surely you can see the opposition midfield getting in behind our midfield more often than normal with Anderson and Cleverley?
The question is should we persevere and hope the combination becomes well oiled enough to be quality at both ends of the pitch, as they have only had a couple of games together.

It happens with any midfield combination we have that doesn't involve Carrick.
Yep because we only have on true holding player.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
I can't believe how pathetic that is...you go looking for a thread about a player you don't like, essentially to remind everyone you don't like a player...
Happens frequently with the Berba thread. We have a few "agenda bumpers" who thrive on this sort of activity.

We have it the other way too. The number of Rooney threads that appear after a match seems to be directly related to the number of his shots on/off target.

Brwned

The question is should we persevere and hope the combination becomes well oiled enough to be quality at both ends of the pitch, as they have only had a couple of games together.
Absolutely, we've already seen Anderson improve his positional game and he's taken on more defensive responsibility alongside Cleverley, and Cleverley's more tactically than Anderson already. They might never read the game as well as Carrick but they can definitely add more to their games defensively.

Still think it's a bit early to talk about Cleverley in terms of being part of our first choice centre mid combination though.