Carrick

quethenoo

Im loving watching the combo of anderson and cleverly but that is my one concern about them, that they dont shield the defence as well as they could perhaps, which is where carrick comes in I suppose. He has a big role to play for us this season, and I wouldnt be surprised to see him in ahead of cleverly in our tougher games.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Im loving watching the combo of anderson and cleverly but that is my one concern about them, that they dont shield the defence as well as they could perhaps, which is where carrick comes in I suppose. He has a big role to play for us this season, and I wouldnt be surprised to see him in ahead of cleverly in our tougher games.
They've played 2.5 games together and we've conceded 1 goal. Yep, They don't shield the defence and leave us wide open.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Rafael's height is still a problem, and his defending was a problem. Young players have flaws in their game. Very few young players excel at the positional side of the game, generally it comes with experience. It's not a criticism. Surely you can see the opposition midfield getting in behind our midfield more often than normal with Anderson and Cleverley?
Is evras height a problem? I don't think it's a massive problem, not in the long run. Besides we've added plenty of height into the squad. Even experienced players have flaws Brwned. What I can see is not much difference. If people are suggesting Carricks an amazing defensive midfielder? I won't agree. I don't think he is. I think he's weak, he's not the brightest and I don't think he's that intimidating if your attacking him. He'll get blocks in, win a tackle or two but he's not dominating enough. Cleverly and Anderson are obviously younger, inexperienced but both are used to defending to a certain degree. Both make an effort to support and break forward. I think our defense is very strong, quick and can block any space that may exist on occasions. In general though, it's just finding the right balance and it will come. No question but it needs games to properly bed down. What we have seen, is good football for such a young team

acnumber9

They've played 2.5 games together and we've conceded 1 goal. Yep, They don't shield the defence and leave us wide open.
Yeah, performances over such a small sample size are conclusive evidence alright. Goals conceded are also evidence the opposition haven't been wasteful. Top post.

Striker10

Yeah, performances over such a small sample size are conclusive evidence alright. Goals conceded are also evidence the opposition haven't been wasteful. Top post.
If your talking about such a small sample size, why is anyone suggesting there's any problem there? City scored from two set pieces. WBA away from home would trouble anyone...they're not mugs. Spurs at home shot from anywhere. Why don't people question what we wouldn't have done with other players? Maybe we wouldn't all feel so positive if we'd have played the other players?...

Kelvin

fergie must have realised carrick has been a passenger for us and decide to drop him for good.

Irwinwastheking

I can't believe how pathetic that is...you go looking for a thread about a player you don't like, essentially to remind everyone you don't like a player, and then tell everyone how great it is that nobody's talking about him.

Sir Alex has always said Carrick gets into form from closer to Christmas time, strangely, and it's not the first time he's phased him into the team after the season's start. Hope he plays against Arsenal because he usually excels, and because Arsenal are so good at exploiting the spaces that Anderson and Cleverley obviously leave. That said, he doesn't have Fabregas to mark out of the game any more.
Yep, pity he didn't play today alright, he was badly missed. Accept the fact Brwned that he's not in the running for a start when Clev and Ando are fit.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
fergie must have realised carrick has been a passenger for us and decide to drop him for good.
Doubt it. Think he will join Cleverley and Anderson in central midfield when Fergie wants to control the game better.

Irwinwastheking

:lol:

Yeah, look at the post I was quoting. What sample size of matches was he looking from? At least I was using actual facts and not makey upey opinion.

But no, you're right, choose to criticise my post....

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Carrick normally starts the season slowly. He'll play a part, but he's not going to find it easy to get his place back if Ando and Cleverley keep playing the way they are.

acnumber9

If your talking about such a small sample size, why is anyone suggesting there's any problem there? City scored from two set pieces. WBA away from home would trouble anyone...they're not mugs. Spurs at home shot from anywhere. Why don't people question what we wouldn't have done with other players? Maybe we wouldn't all feel so positive if we'd have played the other players?...
They can see the matches with thier eyes. They can see players getting inbetween our midfield and defence. Not being punished for it doesn't mean it's not happening. With Cleverley we won't know for sure if he can do this job for a while, he's an attacking player though so it's natural that his defensive work could cause concern. With Anderson we've seen it over 4 years that although he's improved in the respect he does at times leave our defence exposed.

While we're playing as we are though I doubt too many will complain about Carrick not playing. However, anyone who thinks Carrick won't play a big part this season is retarded.

Irwinwastheking

You are beyond doubt the worst poster on these forums. The mod who promoted you needs to take a long hard look at himself.
Way to resort to insults to try to win an arguement. Calling people poor posters and retarded in a debate about a player must make you a wonderful poster then.

The fact is that Carrick has slipped down the ranking at OT. That's simply the case. Sure he will get some games if Ando and Clev's slip up, but I find it more telling that Gigg's and Park are the ones coming of the bench and not the almighty Carrick. Some of the Carrick Fanbois on here simply can't see what's in front of them. He's not the player you think he is, or once was. Get over it. Resulting to petty insults makes you look like the idiot, not me.

acnumber9

It's not an insult when we're dealing in facts. It's stating the obvious. You'll be the first poster I 'ignore' on here. I have a feeling it will save me a fair amount of time sifting through bullshit.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Way to resort to insults to try to win an arguement. Calling people poor posters and retarded in a debate about a player must make you a wonderful poster then.

The fact is that Carrick has slipped down the ranking at OT. That's simply the case. Sure he will get some games if Ando and Clev's slip up, but I find it more telling that Gigg's and Park are the ones coming of the bench and not the almighty Carrick. Some of the Carrick Fanbois on here simply can't see what's in front of them. He's not the player you think he is, or once was. Get over it. Resulting to petty insults makes you look like the idiot, not me.
You do realise Carrick wasn't on the bench?

Siorac

Agreed. Shite and all as they were, Arsenal were running through the centre a bit too easily.
They're very good at that, even with this team. Most other sides in the league are not as penetrative through the middle.

Still, Chelsea might be a step too far for the duo... though you never know after this.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Yep, pity he didn't play today alright, he was badly missed. Accept the fact Brwned that he's not in the running for a start when Clev and Ando are fit.
Yeah, he's not in the running. You're right. Let's come back to this in a few months. You're right then I'm right. Oh it'll be so much fun.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
Ferguson has repeatedly said Carrick doesn't get up-and-running until around October, good and all as Cleverley and Anderson have been, it's a squad game, and we'll start to see a lot more of him, particularly when the Champions League rolls around.

Irwinwastheking

Yeah, he's not in the running. You're right. Let's come back to this in a few months. You're right then I'm right. Oh it'll be so much fun.
But it's not in a few months is it? It's now. September. We played Arsenal today. Those three points were just as valuable as they would be in May. I don't see what you're arguing about. He's not currently in the running for a place as the boys in-front of him are playing so well. If their form drops below the level Carrick is capable of I'm sure he'll then get a run.

I hope you feel vindicated then....

Irwinwastheking

Ferguson has repeatedly said Carrick doesn't get up-and-running until around October, good and all as Cleverley and Anderson have been, it's a squad game, and we'll start to see a lot more of him, particularly when the Champions League rolls around.
Exactly Feeky.

It's a squad game and Carrick isn't getting his place right now. I'm quite happy about that as I like how we play without him and Brwned and that other fella aren't. The facts remain though.

Striker10

They can see the matches with thier eyes. They can see players getting inbetween our midfield and defence. Not being punished for it doesn't mean it's not happening. With Cleverley we won't know for sure if he can do this job for a while, he's an attacking player though so it's natural that his defensive work could cause concern. With Anderson we've seen it over 4 years that although he's improved in the respect he does at times leave our defence exposed.

While we're playing as we are though I doubt too many will complain about Carrick not playing. However, anyone who thinks Carrick won't play a big part this season is retarded.
You make it sound like a team can never find space if a team plays with a defensive midfielder..we had one against barcelona and incidently there's not much point to it. We're Manchester United, not luton town....We don't have to be negative. Andersons 23/24 and Cleverlys 22...it's not suprising the balance isn't always correct but they weren't pressing forward at all times today

When you look at it, the inexperience Arshavin has a great chance from a smalling run that gets intercepted and their play the long ball exploiting the gap he left so it can happen.

Lots of people said cleverlys a winger.....inspite of it being known he's played fullback and other positions which means he's versatile. Clearly Carrick will play and i'm going to refrain from calling you a name......however he's not playing is he?.....

When you play Spurs...city..arsenal..you can be negative or positive. We've been VERY positive....and that's a fact. So you should think again.

Striker10

What does that mean? We're not considering Carrick until October? ;) Sir Alex also said you don't want to drop kids because it can demoralize them sometimes when they're playing well. What Sir Alex has to do, is manage a squad of players and that means saying the right things.

acnumber9

You make it sound like a team can never find space if a team plays with a defensive midfielder..we had one against barcelona and incidently there's not much point to it. We're Manchester United, not luton town....

Lots of people said cleverlys a winger.....inspite of it being known he's played fullback and other positions which means he's versatile. Clearly Carrick will play and i'm going to refrain from calling you a name......however he's not playing is he?.....

When you play Spurs...city..arsenal..you can be negative or positive. We've been VERY positive....and that's a fact. So you should think again.
Did I? Saying it happens more with certain players than with others is saying a team can never find space? Really? I'm not sure what you're upset about. I never called you a name, unless you're saying Carrick won't play a big part in our midfield all season. If you are saying that you deserve to be called a retard. Much like Irwin here

Irwinwastheking

He's too set in his ways and he won't back down for fear of losing face. He's so wrong though. We have showed how we need to play.

We probably lost more games in the last 3-4 years playing defensively than going all out as we should do. With Carrick out of the team we play like the team I grew up loving. Attack everyone always!

Irwinwastheking

Did I? Saying it happens more with certain players than with others is saying a team can never find space? Really? I'm not sure what you're upset about. I never called you a name, unless you're saying Carrick won't play a big part in our midfield all season. If you are saying that you deserve to be called a retard. Much like Irwin here
Erm??

In you're words, Did I?

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
I agree with that Feeky, the only question i have is whether he will included in a 3 with TC and Anderson or in a 2 man midfield.

Personally i still have serious concerns about Carrick playing in any 2 man pairing. We have seen the benefit of pace through the middle and the positive effect it is having on our forward play, the reintroduction of Carrick in a 2 man midfield will definitely have a detrimental effect on our counter attacking ability imo.

He is simply too slow and immobile to cover the wide variety of attributes required for a regularly effective 2 man midfield. I still rate Carrick but not in a 2 man midfield, we just look so much better as a team than last season even without any real defensive cover in midfield, which for the most part is all Carrick regularly offers.

Striker10

your saying anyone that thinks carrick won't features retarded..which is a generalization. But how can anyone say he will? He might pick up an injury and be out for the season...Cleverly and Anderson might play so well he can't get in...we won a league with Giggs and O'shea one year.....the fact is time will tell. I don't take offence from a Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime who's trying to predict the future based on our present form. The fact is Berbatov can't even get a game up top. When will he feature? Or Fletcher...believe me you should be open minded to things because I don't know anyone on here would would have suggested we'd play a 4-4-2 today against Arsenal....which goes to show, people don't know do they?

I would dispute his importance. Some people think he's an incredible player, like Mozza.....and maybe his relatives. At a time when Scholes retires, he can't even get in a head of Cleverly and Anderson....two who apparently can't even wipe Carricks arse. Inspite of the space in the midfield and again we played two up top....we're not doing too badly.

Amir

Personally i still have serious concerns about Carrick playing in any 2 man pairing. We have seen the benefit of pace through the middle and the positive effect it is having on our forward play, the reintroduction of Carrick in a 2 man midfield will definitely have a detrimental effect on our counter attacking ability imo.
Depends on how we play. When we played him and Anderson in a two-man midfield for some how matches last season, it worked brilliantly. It's about the combination, really. Same with Carrick-Giggs. Don't know how Carrick-Cleverley will work. As long as we steer clear of Carrick-Fletcher!

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Depends on how we play. When we played him and Anderson in a two-man midfield for some how matches last season, it worked brilliantly. It's about the combination, really. Same with Carrick-Giggs. Don't know how Carrick-Cleverley will work. As long as we steer clear of Carrick-Fletcher!
Yes we have seen good performances from Carrick and Anderson, but we have seen even more poor ones with that pairing too. Imo most of the good performances for that pairing are mostly dependent on how Anderson plays rather than any chemistry with Carrick. If there was such chemistry between the 2 then surely we would have seen regular and improving performances from both players. Very rarely if ever, have we seen such evidence of this improvement in consecutive matches.

I agree it is all about the combination, Anderson has now played the last 4 or 5 games to a similarly high standard alongside Cleverley, and the results are getting better with each game. They seem to have struck up a complimentary and effective partnership, which is not only benefiting their own individual form, but is impacting positively on the forwards too. The whole team dynamic has improved dramatically since the inroduction of these 2 into the middle and although at times we look a little exposed through the middle, the speed and imagination in our forward play is simply proving too much for the opposition so far. We are once again devastating on the counter attack, and imo that will cause serious problems for any team we face.

Carrick is simply too slow and immobile to form an effective pair, he simply does not provide anywhere near the variety of attributes needed. There is a case for him as the defensive player in a 3 man midfield, but in a pair he will leave his partner too much too do and our play will be slower and more predictable imo.