Carrick's First Team

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
2 keepers on the bench? Mcfred in midfield?

Yeah nothing will change till these jokers leave with Ole
12 subs in Europe.

Of the 32 CL teams in MD04, 20 had 2 keepers on the bench (Ajax, Atalanta, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Benfica, Chelsea, Juventus, Liverpool, Malmo, Manchester City, AC Milan, Paris Saint-Germain, Porto, Real Madrid, Salzburg, Sevilla, Sheriff, Sporting Lisbon, Young Boys, Zenit). Funnily enough all the English sides apart from us.

And tonight our opponents have two on the bench as well. It's normal.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
You know what, i know this club is in crisis right now as to the future of the managerial structure......but i do love seeing Carrick on the sidelines all suited up.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
12 subs in Europe.

Of the 32 CL teams in MD04, 20 had 2 keepers on the bench (Ajax, Atalanta, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Benfica, Chelsea, Juventus, Liverpool, Malmo, Manchester City, AC Milan, Paris Saint-Germain, Porto, Real Madrid, Salzburg, Sevilla, Sheriff, Sporting Lisbon, Young Boys, Zenit). Funnily enough all the English sides apart from us.

It might be normal but I still maintain it's stupid. One sub keeper is more than enough and should be filled by an outfield player if possible. Appreciation the stats.

Halftrack

12 subs in Europe.

Don't talk sense, we need to keep the outrage going here.

MUFC OK

Mctominay is such a hinderance to us. Not comfortable passing forward, never an option to receive the ball. How long have we been expediting the same problems?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
It might be normal but I still maintain it's stupid. One sub keeper is more than enough and should be filled by an outfield player if possible. Appreciation the stats.
Away teams tend to take three keepers on the trip in case one of the other two picks up an injury before the game. Given we've "only" got 10 players on the bench out of a possible 12, Heaton isn't taking the place of an outfield player as we had two more spaces anyway.

Elanga, Mejbri, Mengi etc were better served playing against Villarreal U19s in the Youth League in a crucial game to help decide who would automatically qualify for the knockouts rather than be a probable unused sub for the first team.

unclemao

MacTominay has.not kicked on from his initial promise. So indecisive and ineffectual at decision making. Poor finesse at challenges. We need much better in the pivot

Abraxas

Not great but at least he has tried something.

The 4-3-3, 4-4-2 hybrid at least showed some deviation from the typical approach. It's an idea. Get Ronaldo some support, get into a shape to cover his lack of tracking back.

Just hasn't worked due to quality and lack of intensity as usual.

Swedish_Plumber

Hard for the players to show a new found confidence when it’s the same coaches they’ve had for the past 2 years.

Having said that some of these so called footballers don’t have an awful lot of ability with their feet on the ball. Any manager is going to struggle playing any sort of possession based stuff with our two midfielders and right back anywhere near the first team.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Away teams tend to take three keepers on the trip in case one of the other two picks up an injury before the game. Given we've "only" got 10 players on the bench out of a possible 12, Heaton isn't taking the place of an outfield player as we had two more spaces anyway.

Elanga, Mejbri, Mengi etc were better served playing against Villarreal U19s in the Youth League in a crucial game to help decide who would automatically qualify for the knockouts rather than be a probable unused sub for the first team.
On your first point fair enough. I did add the caveat if possible.

On your second point I disagree. Elanga, Mejbri and Mengi would be better served being with the first team as an unused sub than playing in a U19 game. It's a subjective evaluation but I think the chance to come on is worth a lot more than a U19 game whatever the stakes.

Maniron

Good team selection, well balanced, I am feeling more confident as a consequence

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Best performance of the season. Fair play Michael Carrick.

Let's hope Woodward isn't getting too excited, mind! :nervous:

Abraxas

First half was very tepid but the second half has been a smart display. Carrick laying down a claim.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Fantastic gameplan. Compact and sold shape in the 1st half then pick them apart in the 2nd half, this is what we should have done in the final.

ExoduS

I think Carrick deserves full time job. 4 year contract should be signed sometime this week!

el3mel

Did his job as a caretaker just fine. Good subs that changed the game for us.

Hopefully the board doesn't hire him permanently now.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
One game in charge and he’s got us knocked out of the Europa League.

ArjenIsM3

Good result. But let's not act like this was some kind of masterclass from Carrick. If not for De Gea we'd have been 3-0 down within the hour.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Thoroughly enjoyed that. Exactly what I want to see in the sense that for the first time in a long time we were a team with a shape, a structure and care and patience on the ball. As a foundation, it is exactly the base we should be building on.