Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt851

He will always take cards because of man marking we try to play in cm. This leave gaps he can’t always cover on time, leading to mistimed tackles or professional fouls.
It’s doable if our ball retention improves but as long as we are indulging players in their basketball approach our defensive players are genuinely at risk.
He protects the defence but the guys ahead of him have to also protect him, that’s how it works. It’s either the complete midfielder next to him(De Jong/Lavia/Can) or a workhorse(Modric/Valverde/Kante) type to make sure the gaps to his periphery are smaller and engage opponents in front of him long enough, for him to be more central defensively.
Calling modric a workhorse is interesting

Stadjer

Calling modric a workhorse is interesting
Modrid is extremely talented but doesnt he also work really hard? Doesnt hecover a lot of distance during a game besides being one of the most talented players on the ball?

work horse has a bit of negative attached to it though… the less talented but hard working player. A Weghorst basically

Twiggy

Modrid is extremely talented but doesnt he also work really hard? Doesnt hecover a lot of distance during a game besides being one of the most talented players on the ball?

work horse has a bit of negative attached to it though… the less talented but hard working player. A Weghorst basically
Modric doesn't run as much in a match as I think people believe he does. He goes on a big run around 75 minute mark each match which makes people people believe he's been running non stop the whole time (partly joking, but also not). He's gone missing the last 3 matches vs Barca. He's still amazing though and he does work pretty hard, just not 'workhorse' levels of hard.

croadyman

Not with the current personnel no as all of our other midfielders are box-to-box or no.10s. We need to sign another DM who can rotate with him next season.
Yeah it's mad this wasn't mentioned in Whitwell & Ornstein article about transfer priorities for the summer because it's absolutely vital

RedBanker

I love you Ole
We should have appealed. What did we have to lose? Anyway now it will be 0/9 points for us and probable end of third place hopes.

croadyman

We should have appealed. What did we have to lose? Anyway now it will be 0/9 points for us and probable end of third place hopes.
Be astounded if we take nothing from Brentford or Everton at home considering home form

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Modric doesn't run as much in a match as I think people believe he does. He goes on a big run around 75 minute mark each match which makes people people believe he's been running non stop the whole time (partly joking, but also not). He's gone missing the last 3 matches vs Barca. He's still amazing though and he does work pretty hard, just not 'workhorse' levels of hard.
Going into the World Cup final, he’d covered more distance than any other player.

By the end of the final he was overtaken by Perisic and Rakitic by 0.2km. He definitely runs a lot. It’s not just the eye-catching runs, he’s constantly moving.

Scottynaldinho

Even with him in the team, the performances dropped off and it was very noticeable. Having a fresh Cas will be a huge boost to our campaign.

Ole'sgunnarwin

As good as he is, still annoyed with him. To have 3 suspensions already is ridiculous. We've dropped so many points because of this.

But he's class, one of our most important players. Stop the silly fouls and hopefully we'll get a great few years from him. So much better than our other midfielders.

croadyman

As good as he is, still annoyed with him. To have 3 suspensions already is ridiculous. We've dropped so many points because of this.

But he's class, one of our most important players. Stop the silly fouls and hopefully we'll get a great few years from him. So much better than our other midfielders.
Yeah that first suspension for Arsenal hurt most

Twiggy

Going into the World Cup final, he’d covered more distance than any other player.

By the end of the final he was overtaken by Perisic and Rakitic by 0.2km. He definitely runs a lot. It’s not just the eye-catching runs, he’s constantly moving.
Yep I hear you, but I'm talking about nowawdays. There's no doubt that he used to run more than many other players and especially in that 2018 World Cup he gave everything - but that was 5 years ago, and he just doesn't cover those same distances, which at his age makes sense, but at the same time I think because of his age people overestimate the amount of running he's doing these days. I very rarely miss a Madrid match, I've seen him play most times this season and he does go missing at times for large parts - take for example the last 3 matches vs Barca. He's still a fantastic player, don't get me wrong.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah that first suspension for Arsenal hurt most
Eh didn't matter a whole lot. We lost 3-2 (should've got battered performance wise but held it close with result) and honestly keeping it to a close score like that at least probably have us some weird confidence that we did that without casemiro. Before that, we were on a great run and would most likely have lost to Arsenal regardless, great runs are tough to keep up. We were due. This way, he had a rest for the next batch of games with Barca and the cup final. So it worked out.

Really the only game where his suspensions have actually cost us and would've panned out differently was the Southampton game where we played with 10 men. Otherwise, we most likely would've lost to Newcastle and Arsenal anyway, we drew to Leeds but beat them away and beat leicester and were able to have Casemiro fit for Barca, so that batch worked out as good as it would've either way, and then we beat Fulham in the cup and Brentford today.

The suspensions are annoying, but the end results in any likely wouldn't have changed anyway, bar the Southampton game. Maybe some better goal difference at best.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

As said above. If you actually break down the games he missed... The only result that likely would have been different was the Southampton draw. Performances drop without him but it's weirdly worked out to our benefit you could argue. He was fit and fresh for Barca games and the cup final while we pretty much got through that run of fixtures almost perfect, we would've lost anyway to Arsenal and probably same away to Newcastle, we drew to Leeds at home but beat them away (4 points between those 2 is fine) and on the balance of dropping those 2 points but having fresh casemiro for the other games, it just worked out. Beat Brentford and Fulham, if we beat Everton then I genuinely think Casemiro's 8 games suspended since the world Cup have only costed us 2 points compared to had he been available this whole time.

croadyman

As said above. If you actually break down the games he missed... The only result that likely would have been different was the Southampton draw. Performances drop without him but it's weirdly worked out to our benefit you could argue. He was fit and fresh for Barca games and the cup final while we pretty much got through that run of fixtures almost perfect, we would've lost anyway to Arsenal and probably same away to Newcastle, we drew to Leeds at home but beat them away (4 points between those 2 is fine) and on the balance of dropping those 2 points but having fresh casemiro for the other games, it just worked out. Beat Brentford and Fulham, if we beat Everton then I genuinely think Casemiro's 8 games suspended since the world Cup have only costed us 2 points compared to had he been available this whole time.
I just meant in terms of momentum,would have been interesting to see what had happened IF he'd been available and we won at Emirates

bringbackbebe

These two players elevated from absolute mediocrity of last season to genuine contenders. We were back to our usual self without them. Happy they're back.

LordSpud

I actually worry about Casemiro. Part of his being successful is being 'cute' - buying fouls, committing them stealthily. I worry that he will feel he's been found out by the refs and will be less likely to overcommit for fear of yet another red card.

croadyman

I actually worry about Casemiro. Part of his being successful is being 'cute' - buying fouls, committing them stealthily. I worry that he will feel he's been found out by the refs and will be less likely to overcommit for fear of yet another red card.
I think this is a valid concern and like I just said is proof he needs some backup in the summer

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Tomorrow is Casemiro's last domestic game of his ban. While he's been out, has he been taking part in full training? Is the idea that he can just slot back into the team?

"Yes, of course, he is taking part but that's especially for a player like Casemiro, that's not an advantage. So he needs the rhythm. He needs the rhythm from training, from games so he misses that but luckily he had the game with Brazil versus Morocco and we are lucky we are playing three games in one week, in six days and so he doesn't miss that much."

Are you concerned that he might be unfairly - not marked - but he's had two suspensions already for seven games. Are you concerned that referees are going to look for him unfairly and overly referee him and he will pick up another red card?

"I don't know. I have to trust the refs but I have to say from me, so both are definitely not a red card. And everyone who knows football, you know that when you play on top level you know that's not a red card because then you can send off in every game in the Premier League many players."

Sylar

We've navigated his absence well, Newcastle game aside. But that game everybody was poor so we probably end up with the same result anyway.

Couple of clean sheets too, and he's coming back at a good time.

Baneofthegame

We've navigated his absence well, Newcastle game aside. But that game everybody was poor so we probably end up with the same result anyway.

Couple of clean sheets too, and he's coming back at a good time.
Yeah, good timing for him coming back, got some fringe players some minutes as well, so Newcastle game aside I think it went fine.

If we can keep everyone else fit as well as Eriksen/Casemiro/Martial we will make top 4 and win Europa in my opinion.

lex talionis

His sentence has been served. We dropped a few points we might not have otherwise dropped, but here we are now and he’ll come back rested, fit and hungry.

Status
Not open for further replies.