Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manny

Grammar Police
He needs to be played into fitness now. We are always going to get undone with McTominay, so why keep putting off.

Not getting him up to speed will cost us in the long run.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Him not starting is putting more pressure and spotlight on him when he does come on

Red-17

I don't really get the massive criticism today? He was a pretty clear upgrade in possession - probably the best he has looked all season - especially with the first time balls into our attacking players. Defensively, he wasn't perfect, but no one will ever be against this City side, he certainly wasn't poor defensively. Would be interested to see a partnership with Fred and one of Bruno or Eriksen either on Thursday or next weekend.

AdNani

Missed the game today, but i feel like it might be the end of Mctominay benching him, st some point we have to realise that we have 10x the player sitting on the bench. More games he plays the fitter/sharper he'll be.

RedDevilQuebecois

He needs to be played into fitness now. We are always going to get undone with McTominay, so why keep putting off.

Not getting him up to speed will cost us in the long run.
That is what drives me nuts at times with Ten Hag. After today, there is no longer much of an excuse for not giving Casemiro those starts over McTominay.

Red-17

That is what drives me nuts at times with Ten Hag. After today, there is no longer much of an excuse for not giving Casemiro those starts over McTominay.
Why don't you wait until it actually happense before criticizing him? McTominay had been one of our best players in a few key wins where we turned things around. He still gave Casemiro minutes in those games despite that too. It is not good for squad morale to bench someone performing well based on reputation alone. Look at what it did to Martial when we signed Sanchez.

If Casemiro is still on the bench next week, then I will understand your frustration.

Irwin99

Looks so off the pace whenever i've seen him. Like Ronaldo and a few others you're just hoping we can play him into some form in these Europa League matches.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Imagine we bought best DM in the world from CL champion, just to play him in Europa league and use him as bench player in PL.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm not surprised by his poor start/ adjustment period. Barring unique talents I'm not favour of signing 29/30 year olds for huge sums of money. The PL takes adapting and its harder as you get older. It's just too much hassle and risk which usually isn't worth the payoff.

croadyman

Now we know why we can sign Casemiro... We've been scammed by Madrid. They knew he's declining.

We've had more than half month without games. What's this he's not fit excuse
Yet another midfielder not wanted by manager, could have spent that wasted £100 odd mill on Osimhen instead.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
When you're winning games it's not the best idea to drop players that are playing well for you. So ten Hag starting McTominay over him was justified and I'm sure we'll see more of Casemiro from here on in.

croadyman

When you're winning games it's not the best idea to drop players that are playing well for you. So ten Hag starting McTominay over him was justified and I'm sure we'll see more of Casemiro from here on in.

See sense and get McTominay back on bench

united for life

I understand Ten Hag sticking to a winning team. He didn’t change players when the team was winning. However, after the hammering yesterday, I think it is time to bring Casimero into the starting lineup. I am glad that Scot has improved under Ten Hag, but we are talking about a different class here with Casimero. Scot is a good back up, but let the better player play

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

We won three games in a row before we got Antony and that did not stop him being put right into first team against the most in-form team in the league.

Lyng

We won three games in a row before we got Antony and that did not stop him being put right into first team against the most in-form team in the league.
There is a difference though. Mc Tominay was playing very well. Elanga wasnt.

Sarni

There is a difference though. Mc Tominay was playing very well. Elanga wasnt.
Eriksen, Martinez also went straight into the team from day one (Martinez barely had a preseason either) and it took Malacia three games to cement his place in the squad, and prior to that he'd still get 45 minutes against Brentford.

I just think Casemiro was not Ten Hag's idea at all. We brought him because he was the best midfielder available but he's not someone that manager had wanted.

Bobski

Imagine we bought best DM in the world from CL champion, just to play him in Europa league and use him as bench player in PL.
Imagine we bought that player and his fitness was clearly well below where it needed to be. Do you just play him anyway, sacrifice the short term for the long term benefit? In a normal season I would say yes, but with the WC this year it might be next season before Utd see the best of him.

Disappointing that he hasn't been ready to go immediately.

Vapor trail

I'm not surprised by his poor start/ adjustment period. Barring unique talents I'm not favour of signing 29/30 year olds for huge sums of money. The PL takes adapting and its harder as you get older. It's just too much hassle and risk which usually isn't worth the payoff.
Him an Eriksen as key first team players is worrying. It's not that either player is particularly bad not by any stretch but why isn't the focus on younger talent which represents better value in the long run and even potential resale value if things don't work out ?

The recruitment during the summer for me I've labelled average but upon reflection it's quite poor due to two things, that's the average age acquired and a squad that still lacks balance. You don't need to spend obscene amounts to mitigate the right balance in a team. It's more about the profile of the players acquired. The fact that there's no updates about those recruitment staff being replaced gives a lack of optimism for anything that's logical to take place in the winter market.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Imagine we bought that player and his fitness was clearly well below where it needed to be. Do you just play him anyway, sacrifice the short term for the long term benefit? In a normal season I would say yes, but with the WC this year it might be next season before Utd see the best of him.

Disappointing that he hasn't been ready to go immediately.
Apparently at such age and price, we bought him for immediate impact, not for long term investment which could allow more patience and could afford to have another 1-2 years of adaptive period.

Bobski

Apparently at such age and price, we bought him for immediate impact, not for long term investment which could allow more patience and could afford to have another 1-2 years of adaptive period.
It has to be immediate impact at that age and price, you don't spend huge on 30 year olds and then allow a season to adjust.

Either way he needs to play, watching him he looks very pedestrian in is movement, albeit with some flashes of quality and superior reading of the game to our other options. Need to know if it is his fitness or if it is just who he is now.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Antony was a right winger and had played under ten Hag at Ajax.

Sarni

Antony was a right winger and had played under ten Hag at Ajax.
The second part is vital I think.

I expect if we'd signed De Jong instead of Casemiro, on the same day, he'd have started the very next game and McTominay would be on the bench.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I expect if we'd signed De Jong instead of Casemiro, on the same day, he'd have started the very next game and McTominay would be on the bench.
I disagree. I think Eriksen would have been on the bench.

Sarni

I disagree. I think Eriksen would have been on the bench.
Yeah, possibly, or they'd rotate. Maybe even Bruno would make his way to the bench with Eriksen playing higher up.

I think we may have made the same mistake with Casemiro we did with Mata. We signed a player that was not manager's choice and he doesn't really have a way to use him, difference is ten Hag is not actually afraid of just using him as back up and benching him whereas Moyes felt obliged to play Mata.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Stick him and Fred in together VS any decent sides and pick between Eriksen/Bruno. Dont mind the latter 2 starting Vs teams we should beat but with Varane now out for a bit, we need to rethink how we setup

Tibs

With Bruno not really performing right now, we need to give Fredemiro a few games with Eriksen ahead of them. Bruno and McT benched.

AdNani

Eriksen, Martinez also went straight into the team from day one (Martinez barely had a preseason either) and it took Malacia three games to cement his place in the squad, and prior to that he'd still get 45 minutes against Brentford.

I just think Casemiro was not Ten Hag's idea at all. We brought him because he was the best midfielder available but he's not someone that manager had wanted.
Martinez played because Lindelof was injured, Varane was being eased in. Malacia came in because Shaw had an absolutely horrific start to the season. Eriksen played because we have no one else who can offer what he can.

Mctominay has being playing well, It's not like Mctominay offers anything Casemiro doesn't, Casemiro is better on the ball and better defensively, He'll be just fine under Ten Hag.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

If we have signed De Jong instead of Casemiro, we would need Mctominay even more in starting 11, as we don’t have another ball winner in our midfield.

Marwood

But there was nobody performing well on the right wing to block Antony being selected.

McTominay suddenly spurted into the form of his life and Casemiro in his brief appearances didn't exactly look brilliant.

A-man

I don't really get the massive criticism today? He was a pretty clear upgrade in possession - probably the best he has looked all season - especially with the first time balls into our attacking players. Defensively, he wasn't perfect, but no one will ever be against this City side, he certainly wasn't poor defensively. Would be interested to see a partnership with Fred and one of Bruno or Eriksen either on Thursday or next weekend.
I fully agree. He still makes a few mistakes and loses possession in ways I don’t like, but the upgrade was clear. It was clear already after ten minuter that he was needed.

Smores

But there was nobody performing well on the right wing to block Antony being selected.

McTominay suddenly spurted into the form of his life and Casemiro in his brief appearances didn't exactly look brilliant.
It's hard to blame Ten Hag for sticking with McTominay but we really need to move towards bedding in our best team rather than allowing temp form to slow that down.

Rajma

Caseimiro is much better player than Scott although now less mobile maybe, by default you can’t play a lightweight midfield with Eriksen and Bruno (who in addition doesn’t value the ball) with this version of Caseimiro. It then is really obvious that our most balanced midfield will be Caseimiro, Eriksen, and Fred when given a run of games to adjust and mold together. Though decisions will need to be made by ETH but if he wants to get away from our counter-attacking nature then it’s absolutely necessary.

MUFC OK

Should have started with his big game experience but can see why he went with McTominay who had been playing well this season. Time to use him from the start at the weekend.

Gordon Godot

Should have started with his big game experience but can see why he went with McTominay who had been playing well this season. Time to use him from the start at the weekend.
If he wasnt up to start this match vs McT then we should never have signed him. Reinforces the view that he was 100% not an ETH signing and that nothing has really changed at the club. We are still a mess. Only spend big when team is losing and fans are protesting. All on the owners and the execs they appoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.