Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember the geese

I don’t need to say the good things about him because we all know it and it gets repeated often but his passing is really bad, really need a volume passer next to him next season because it’s becoming quite an eyesore
Why praise a player because we're all sick to death of that! Let's shit on him instead.

Trequartistry

His passing looks worse because he plays in a position where it is dangerous to lose the ball. He has about the same pass% completion as Bruno at 78%. Weghorst is our worst passer with 72%.
Yeah, Bruno who’s notoriously known for being extremely wasteful and a huge risk taker

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What’s mad? It’s true, he’s not a good passer and we desperately need one next to bim

My bad. Casemiro good! No, Casemiro great!

Now we really need a high volume passer next to him
Good passer and high volume passer are two different things, you can be a good passer and a mid volume one too.

lex talionis

I understand how it becomes fashionable here to crap on world class players like Casemiro, but it is not possible to heap enough praise on the man. Simply astonishing how great he is, including his play with the ball.

marktan

They did beat Madrid 5-0 in the Clasico, that's a massive part of the (deserved) mythology of that team. And it wasn't an average Madrid, this was almost exactly the team that was going to win the league the next season with 100 points (Casillias, Ramos-Carvalho-Pepe-Marcelo, Alonso-Khedira, AdM-Ozil-Ronaldo, Benzema/Higuain)

Weirdly enough, apart from Madrid (that season - 1 win, 2 draws, 2 losses, 3-9 aggregate), the only team that could really compete with them for long stretches was ... Arsenal at the Emirates.
It was a good team but not as good as it became, that midfield especially is light compared to Casemiro - Kroos - Modric.

My point was more the calibre of teams around. I did say the Real team was good, it was the rest of the teams in Europe that were poor. United were crap by 2010/11. We won the league with a really low points total. Chelsea who were good in that era weren't good that season. Inter lost Mourinho and had the fat spanish waiter (if I remember correctly). Bayern you could argue were good but even then they weren't as good as they became. And of course Schalke made the semis.

So in 10/11 when they won the CL, the only genuinely good team was Real. Compared to 17/18 when Real faced PSG, Bayern, Juve and Liverpool. And then you had one or two other teams like City and Barca that were decent too.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
That midfield was untouchable at club and international level for 4 years. It started unraveling after pep left, xavi got old, Messi became less of a team player, experimenting with Fabregas and Sanchez and going away from the 4-3-3.

But in their prime the outcome of every single midfield battle was already decided. The only question was if the opponent could counter through the wings and expose the defense quickly. There was no question of actually winning in the middle. The teams who did beat them or came close (Inter and Chelsea) stood off, stayed organized, and countered. Real after the 5-0 pressed very high, and if that failed, fell very deep.

You can argue about the opponents, but equally their level of dominance was something else. Real won a lot of even games vs Bayern, for example. Small margins.
Barca generally didn't do close fought victories. Usually they dominated the game and won, or they dominated the game and lost (Chelsea 2012). There's 3 games in that entire span where they created only as much or less than their opponents: their only lucky win (Chelsea 2009), Madrid's title winning clasico 2-1, and the inter 3-1.

And about the opponents, Barca=/=Spain but the same core in the same style dominated very good midfields of Italy and Germany.

It's why the away game at arsenal was so weird, they actually contested the midfield and made it an even fight.

Last edited:

Sir Erik ten Hag

Reminds me of the Yaya Toure transfer from Barcelona to City. Same impact, same skepticism, same dominance...

RoyKeaneReborn

That Barca team was different, but a lot of it had to do with the system. Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta was a better trio for how Pep wanted to play, they just mauled teams.

Real Madrid although even more successful than that Barca team in Europe never made me go “wow, I’ve never seen anything like that before”, which is what I felt when I saw that Barca team.

Real Madrid reminded me a bit of our treble team although better, it wasn’t always easy or pretty but they’ve won the lot through sheer determination and obviously quality across the board, Barca was just miles better than everyone else.
At their best they’ve made every team they faced, week in week out, to look like amateurs, they dominated teams on a scale I've never seen before or since, top teams.

Having said that, the impact that Casemiro made here, prime Busquets couldn’t have made in a million years. Casemiro is a far more adaptable player, whilst Busquets would’ve needed a higher calibre of players around him to thrive, plus all these important goals that Casemiro scored this season…

What a player we got ourselves, unbelievable signing, in 3 or 4 years we could be speaking of him in Cantona terms as a signing that was the catalyst to a huge period of success to the club.
The other great midfield trio that gave me this feeling was the Milan team in the mid/ late 2000s. The combination of Pirlo - Seedorf - Gattuso/ Ambrosini. The 3(4) of them were all in their peak years. I recall there was a Champions League 2nd leg at the San Siro where we were thoroughly outclassed in midfield by this group.

InfiniteBoredom

It's why the away game at arsenal was so weird, they actually contested the midfield and made it an even fight.
Wilshere having the game of his life aside, I think the stats were skewed a bit by Pep's self-sabotage. Barca were 1-0 up and cruising and he took off Villa. Without his threat upfront it became much easier for Assna to push up and that helped with their ball retention.

mctrials23

Yes Casemiro misplaces some passed because he is being asked to make risky passes at times. The sort of passes that make the opposition nervous to push too high up the pitch because your DM is cutting through their lines on a regular basis. His general passing is very good and yes he loses the ball when trying to make more progressive vertical passes but we don't have the control in midfield to offload that to someone else at the moment. Its also a really useful quality in a DM.

Its one of the massive reasons he is such an upgrade for us. Previously teams knew that with a whiff of pressure our deep lying midfielders would play sideways and slow the game down because they had no idea where their teammates were. Thats all changed now.

Unsurprisingly he is not KDB with his passing. He does however read the game really well and know where all his teammates are and what balls are on. That allows him to make seemingly "hit and hope" passes that actually go to our forwards.

kaku06

couple decades from now there will be a random mancunian lad named "Casemiro Gallagher" walking around
Oh man. Not only you decided to name your unborn after Casemiro but also you chucked out the family planning in the first place and infact decided to have another child in his honour. :drool:

Chief123

I’m shocked to see him being voted as the best player in the world in his position. He’s never been a great player. Just a steady a eddy.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I’m shocked to see him being voted as the best player in the world in his position. He’s never been a great player. Just a steady a eddy.
It's only 'cos Modric is in there too you see, so he can carry him to being a somewhat acceptable footballer.

Suedesi

He gives me Rafa Nadal vibes - gentle and soft spoken off the pitch, but transforms into a beast as soon as he steps on the court/pitch

TheReligion

Abusive
Anyone else saw Casemiro apologising to the fans for not being able to speak English and explaining he’s trying to learn the language and culture so he can communicate with everyone including the staff.

Seems such a great guy.

Real Name

Anyone else saw Casemiro apologising to the fans for not being able to speak English and explaining he’s trying to learn the language and culture so he can communicate with everyone including the staff.

Seems such a great guy.
Is there a video?

Case fekin miro in our ranks, CFM.

I'll get my coat.

Tony247

I don’t need to say the good things about him because we all know it and it gets repeated often but his passing is really bad, really need a volume passer next to him next season because it’s becoming quite an eyesore
He is not a playmaker. A playmaker should be following him, taking right position to receive the ball.

Red Rash

Best player on the pitch. So much more than a CDM, a real box to box midfielder

M Bison

Supports
York City
We need a CM more than any other position imo. The difference between us with him and without is night and day, we need more quality in midfield. Absolute class act.

Bobski

He is so good that the numerous shanked passes don't even register as significant. He is so smart in his decision making, it is like a superpower.

sammyhol

We’ve arguably had better passers in midfield (Scholes..just!)

and we’ve had absolute box to box, leader, legends (keane, robson)

and we’ll probs only get a few great seasons out of him if we are lucky….

but he might be the most complete midfielder I’ve ever seen at United.

he can do literally everything. Passing, scoring, leading, tackling, positioning. He is phenomenal.

tomaldinho1

Loved it when he was grabbing and shouting at Bruno after he lost it then won it back - nice to have nutters who only want to win again

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He is so good that the numerous shanked passes don't even register as significant. He is so smart in his decision making, it is like a superpower.
Well said. All of his passes had an intent to speed things up and it's a massive difference with McT/Sabitzer. He is levels above them

Status
Not open for further replies.