Casemiro | United Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief123

Well the BBC has it up to £70 million. Which is more than 80 million euros, potentially. For a guy with little to no resale value, let that just sink in. That's more than Bayern recently paid for De Ligt who's 23 years old, and this type of fee would normally get you close to signing one of the best young midfielders in the world. And then there's Casemiro's wages, he has been an elite level performer but ultimately he still is a workhorse type of defensive midfielder, not a modern day Zinedine Zidane. I guess it was literally an offer so good that he and Real Madrid just couldn't sensibly refuse it.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62608356

Best case scenario for this transfer is that he's a good and solid but extremely expensive midfielder for us for a few years. Worst case scenario, I don't even want to think about it. We've literally spent over a billion during the last decade with a transfer succes rate of less than 20%. There was a part of me that hoped this madness would finally stop this summer, and it looked like it. But now we're just desperate and panicking and massively overpaying while the whole football world sees us as a laughing stock.

At the same time I'm torn, because at least we're bringing in a player who is an upgrade on what we have, which could make watching this season unfold much less soul destroying.
Let’s be honest, when has Utd ever thought about “resale value”.

Even when we’ve bought younger players, resale value has been pointless.
We are getting nowhere near the money back on AWB £50m, DVB £40m, Maguire £80m, Bruno £60m.

So might as well get some high calibre players in with no resale value.

Ole'sattheWheel

Ironic saying that after chelsea just paid £62m for a left back who’s achieved nothing.
Tbf a chelsea fan saying United are shit at negotiating AND Chelsea themselves being shit at negotiating (with their new owner) can both be true at the same time

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Yeah, 80m for a 31 year old doesn't sound like great business, to be honest. God knows what wages he will be on, too. But that's what you get without proper planning and last minute signings.
Madrid bought him for 6m when he was 21 sold him for 80m at 31, that's the type of singing we should be making, but that needs a world-class scouting setup I guess.

Chief123

Tbf a chelsea fan saying United are shit at negotiating AND Chelsea themselves being shit at negotiating (with their new owner) can both be true at the same time
But it also highlights the market we are in. Price for average players is 40-50m now. No team out there can boast they have top tier negotiation powers. It all comes down to supply and demand.

The likes of richarlison going from a relegation team for £60m to a team known for being good negotiators.

City get a great deal in Alvarez for £14m but get cleaned up for £100m on Grealish.

We paid a premium on Casemiro and Martinez but got a great deal on Malacia.

Every deal is dependant on the circumstance and value it brings to the team. Every signing is a gamble.

OrcaFat

Yeah, 80m for a 31 year old doesn't sound like great business, to be honest. God knows what wages he will be on, too. But that's what you get without proper planning and last minute signings.
Madrid bought him for 6m when he was 21 sold him for 80m at 31, that's the type of singing we should be making, but that needs a world-class scouting setup I guess.
Who’s this 31 year old, again?

Hester_manc

I think Casemiro is a type of player we need in our midfield. My only problem is that Ten Hag has been talking about rebuilding United, and then he signs with two 30 years old players. How are they long time solutions?

ti vu

Out of interest, who even starts this conversation with regards to gauging if Casemiro wants to sign? Who is he being tapped up by?
Maybe his agent rang us and offered him to us? RM got some young midfielders to compete for his place. It's well known we're looking at a DM, and willing to offer a good financial package.

Ole'sattheWheel

But it also highlights the market we are in. Price for average players is 40-50m now. No team out there can boast they have top tier negotiation powers. It all comes down to supply and demand.

The likes of richarlison going from a relegation team for £60m to a team known for being good negotiators.

City get a great deal in Alvarez for £14m but get cleaned up for £100m on Grealish.

We paid a premium on Casemiro and Martinez but got a great deal on Malacia.

Every deal is dependant on the circumstance and value it brings to the team. Every signing is a gamble.
True

MrEleson

Probably one of the very few players to consistently be able to limit Messi.

I Am Zlatan

What is the general reaction from oppo fans?
my friend is a Liverpool supporter, he thinks Casemiro started declining last year, he said he’s older and slower now, and since he’s not that technical, he doesn’t think it’s that good of a signing. I think he’s just bitter..

OrcaFat

30 sorry, he'll be 31 in 5 months. They bought him for 6m when he was 21, sold him for 80 at 30, that's great business.
Right. But it’s £60m plus £10m in add ons. I suppose you mean Euros.

You’re right it’s Good business either way but it is made possible by the fact that they did other good business recruiting the depth in his position.

A side point is that Good business for them doesn’t mean it’s Bad business for us. He is worth what we’re paying and they wouldn’t even take that if they weren’t so stacked in CM.

TOKUGAWA-X

We could have signed up Declan Rice if we added another 30M and we would have had an 8 yrs old younger amazing HM.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Right. But it’s £60m plus £10m in add ons. I suppose you mean Euros.

You’re right it’s Good business either way but it is made possible by the fact that they did other good business recruiting the depth in his position.

A side point is that Good business for them doesn’t mean it’s Bad business for us. He is worth what we’re paying and they wouldn’t even take that if they weren’t so stacked in CM.
Yeah, I meant 80m euro. They actually bought a 21 year old DM for the same amount, Tchouameni, 80m, 21 years old.
Dont get me wrong, Im very happy we finally got a good DM after all these years, but I've got to be honest, I would rather we did it like Madrid are doing it, buy young. Also, quite a few voices from Madrid fans saying he's dropped a level or two in the past year, hope not. Maybe they are just a bit bitter.

croadyman

Really hard to get excited about this. He’s a decent player but the reported 70 mil + add ons is an absolute joke. Real laughing all the way to the bank and Casemiro making a quick exit probably realising his playing time was about to get reduced due to Camavinga and Tchouameni.

United are a complete joke. Recruitment is absolute piss. I hope he does well but see Him becoming another expensive mistake.
Wouldn't bother watching him in Utd shirt then if you feel so underwhelmed by this signing

croadyman

Absolutely brilliant signing but we need another player to come in to play alongside him. Someone with the craft and guile to thread the lines and open up passing angles in a deeper role.

Ten Hag has a huge upgrade on the existing options at his disposal and Casemiro is also a huge upgrade on Edson Alvarez who was the DM at Ajax. We now need the Gravenberch profile.
Who is out there we can get of that ilk, will admit neither Whitwell or Stone suggested in their tweet we want another midfielder which is worrying. Mind you they didn't mention about a backup GK, RB or RW/ST either

Last edited:

Marcelinho87

I think Casemiro is a type of player we need in our midfield. My only problem is that Ten Hag has been talking about rebuilding United, and then he signs with two 30 years old players. How are they long time solutions?
It doesn't hurt to add quality experience in a rebuild though tbf, Martinez, Malacia and possibly Antony are all young enough players.

Giggsy13

my friend is a Liverpool supporter, he thinks Casemiro started declining last year, he said he’s older and slower now, and since he’s not that technical, he doesn’t think it’s that good of a signing. I think he’s just bitter..
You need a new friend.

the_cliff

Tell him to go watch the UCL final again.

He won't....

Or send him this video:

3KDré

To rebuild you don't necessarily need young players. You need a mixture of both. There's no point buying young players if you don't have good role models to follow and good characters in the squad. Martinez, Casemiro and Malacia seem to have the character to play for us.

acnumber9

Luckily it’s neither £80m nor is he 31. Why do people have to exaggerate everything just to be miserable about it?

HayabusaUtd

The same Casemiro that made Pools attack look awful in the UCL final?

Witchking

You must be a real pessimist to lie and make up numbers :houllier:

TheReligion

Abusive
He is a great signing but yet again highlights Utds inability to negotiate at even a competent level.
:lol: £100m Lukaku out on loan, £50m Werner gifted back to Germany, £80+m for a CB that’s not even a full intentional and £62m to Brighton for a player even City wouldnt pay more than £30m for.

Glass houses mate, glass houses

wazz786

Looks like this is almost a done deal. Welcome to the greatest club in the world, Casemiro aka THE WALL.

Tyrion

Graham Hunter isn’t happy:

I find La Liga journalists both entertaining and annoying compared to Premier League ones. They're much more dramatic. Sid Lowe in particular has never heard a question that he wouldn't take 3 minutes to answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.