Casey Stoney has resigned

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Just seen images of City's training complex and ours. Night and day.
City's
Ours

City have also incorporated the women's team alongside the men's.
While we have our woman's team training at either the extremely outdated and tired Cliff centre or Leigh Sports Village ground.

G-MUFC

Come on. If that is true, then the club needs to be publicly shamed for this.
I agree. The media should be all over this.

To be fair she's one of the best young managers in the women's game. So why would she stay at a club that doesn't even invest in training facilities when she could go to plenty of clubs that do appropriately invest.

This club is being left behind by the likes of City and this story is clear evidence of that.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
City's
Ours

While we have our woman's team training at either the extremely outdated and tired Cliff centre or Leigh Sports Village ground.
:( :mad:

Bulldog United

Considering the absolute state of Old Trafford, this is both a) wholly believable and b) unsurprising

If the Glazers want to make a statement, how about no dividends for a few years and putting that money (and more) into infrastructure?
You'll have to wait another year for that statement on April 1st and no other day.

Given how big the women's game has grown in their own country, you'd think they'd realise the massive potential of backing our women. They really couldn't give a flying feck about SOCCER. The excel spreadsheet shows them all they need to care about.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
When the club announced the Womens team they said they'd train at the Cliff and it would be refurbished. Thats never happened.

They've always trained at LSV on the public pitches. But during the winter they trained a bit indoor at the Cliff. They also said they were looking to expand Carrington and had plans to do so and include the Womens team in that (and the youth teams).

Its been 3 years and nothings been done. Originally I was like "Well the Cliffs to old and small so maybe thats why they're at LSV", but now it's clear it's because they promised this that the other and did none of it.

You look at the players she managed to get (Heath, Press, Groenen) and there is no way they'd recommend the setup to any of their NT teammates. I'm gutted about this, and the fact that players only found out an hour before, that she did those quotes at the weekend mean it's not been a planned decision, she's wanted to stay but in the end they've just renegged on to many things and she's like, San Diego is a nice place to live, good weather and a team who'll actually be supported.

Think what could have been done by that team this season if she'd not been screwed over by injuries that are because of where they were training! They could have challenged for the title with Heath available, they would have got top 4 with Russo and Ladd fit.

Shambles.
This is why the Glazers latest statement has received nothing but pessimism from me. In 2 years time very, very little would be done towards enhancing Old Trafford and Carrington.

edcunited1878

Disappointing that the club didn't make tangible progress in the past few years. Don't even think this can be totally blamed on covid, which disproportionately impacted women's sport more than men's sport.

She built a very capable team and even if they did qualify for CL, their resources and facilities were still too far behind.

Promises not kept and not even remotely acted upon has forced Stoney's hand. Sad.

City and Chelsea have been able to financially support their women's teams for a while now, plus City just has an abundance of cash and facilities, it wasn't hard for them to have a viable women's team.

All the best to her. She did a fantastic job from the ground up and was very detailed. Too bad the club supporting her didn't meet her at her level. Club totally loses out on this one.

Andersons Dietician

Sad news. If its down to the lack of facilities and so on then that’s terrible. The Glazers are all about money but surely any buisness person can see the opportunities that investing in the woman’s team could lead to.

Why wasn’t there more coverage of them, their activities as the team was getting put together and developed over these past years. Give them a proper United stadium, get them some sort of marketing thing with Addidas and generally just do more.
Decent facilities for training is the least they could ask for and the fact that we are supposedly one of the biggest clubs in the world they should have the best available.

Bit worried who they are going to bring in now to replace her and is the woman’s team going to slowly fade away to an after thought. Be a hard season next year if Press, Heaton, James and probably some others leave.

I just find it crazy they can’t see the oppertunites that are there for this team, just need to grow the fan base which will happen naturally with their own stadium and time.

Lightbringer

Chelsea has 348 000 followers on twitter, Man United have 219 000. In just 3 years. The interest is there, the club just need to act on it fecksake! I am feckung furios now that we have wasted a potential Sir Alex on the womens side.

This team without the mass injuries would have eased into a CL spot, its just unfair the way things have played out.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Chelsea has 348 000 followers on twitter, Man United have 219 000. In just 3 years. The interest is there, the club just need to act on it fecksake! I am feckung furios now that we have wasted a potential Sir Alex on the womens side.

This team without the mass injuries would have eased into a CL spot, its just unfair the way things have played out.
You don't need to spend much to get a quality womens team - as seen with this one. They'll have spent almost nothing on transfers (maybe 100k at most) and wages per year will be a few of the mens weekly wages. Next season the Sky deal comes in. They have more than 1m followers on Instagram. Press and Heath sold more shirts than the men for a few days after their signing.

I have to admit, I thought some of the statements about Uniteds Infrastructure by the likes for Neville etc were a bit exagerated. I could slightly justify the womens issues this year due to Covid and needing different bubbles. BUT it's been 3 years and they've built nothing for the women at the Cliff or Carrington. Thing is it's not just the women as seen in the tweet below, they've doubled the number of staff and instead of building new buildings for them they're instead removing the Academy classrooms.

You can talk about the revenue brought in by both sides and the mens does dwarf the womens right now, but the simple things should be easy to solve - a gym, showers and toilets. They've been at Carrington for 5 months and nothings been done. The Old Trafford games timing now makes sense, it was a sticking plaster because Casey was almost resigning and they were trying to convince her they were serious.

They've never fixed the roof at OT. The women haven't had a gym in 3 years. They've had temp buildings at Carrington for years and nothing built. Shambles.

buchansleftleg

This is another shameful chapter in the Glazer's occupation of the club. I don't use the word "owner" as they have only exploited the club.

Watch as other clubs swoop in and there is an exodus of players. Casey was an amazing manager and will be sorely missed by the team, the fans and the parts of the club that understand about honour, hard work, heritage and inspiration.

Really gutted by this news.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea

To be fair she's one of the best young managers in the women's game. So why would she stay at a club that doesn't even invest in training facilities when she could go to plenty of clubs that do appropriately invest.

This club is being left behind by the likes of City and this story is clear evidence of that.
Sports media are a joke. Issues like this need highlighting before they are brought to the attention by those within the game.

Look at the EFL. The only time the mainstream media give it much coverage is if there is an international break or the PL hasn't started yet. then they go all bleating hearts when a club goes out of business when they should have been shining a light on malpractice before any club gets to that point. But that requires real journalism and it's easier to create nonsense transfer stories or sensational headlines about Liverpool or United being in crisis after two defeats.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Sad news. If its down to the lack of facilities and so on then that’s terrible. The Glazers are all about money but surely any buisness person can see the opportunities that investing in the woman’s team could lead to.

Why wasn’t there more coverage of them, their activities as the team was getting put together and developed over these past years. Give them a proper United stadium, get them some sort of marketing thing with Addidas and generally just do more.
Decent facilities for training is the least they could ask for and the fact that we are supposedly one of the biggest clubs in the world they should have the best available.

Bit worried who they are going to bring in now to replace her and is the woman’s team going to slowly fade away to an after thought. Be a hard season next year if Press, Heaton, James and probably some others leave.

I just find it crazy they can’t see the oppertunites that are there for this team, just need to grow the fan base which will happen naturally with their own stadium and time.
I am not an apologist for the cnuts but we did lose a £100M last year. At some point, anyone who runs a P&L will understand that there have to be sacrifices made -- if revenues are down by 25% (due to matchday) and now sponsors are pulling out.

Our money don't grow from the ground unlike the other side.

We need to spend big on summer transfers, then big on refurbishing OT, big on salaries and now women's infrastructure.... at some point you just cant afford to do all of the above.

Choices need to be made.

croadyman

Stadium falling apart and shite conditions for the women. Grim situation for a supposedly "elite" club.
Not surprised in the slightest and just shows how poorly the club is being run on the mens and womens side

The Red Thinker

Shameful shameful shit. A United manager resigning because she felt she couldn't get basic facilities for her players is... heart-wrenching. Fecking Glazers.

pacifictheme

Big loss for the women's team. She's basically built it so hopefully we can find someone to replace her. Will be very tough.

stu_1992

Really damming of the state of the club. If these reports are accurate, then it's one of the clearest signs yet of our lack of investment from the highers ups. Really poor stuff.

yamo123x

She should have resigned after her comments about the womens league being too white....unforgiveable in my eyes.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Real shame that she has decided to leave. From what I could tell she has really built the team well, and we were progressing upwards.

Lots of worrying stories coming to light about the conditions our women's team was forces to deal with. Though all things considering not surprising either.

Hopefully the Club sorts it out, otherwise I can see the team dropping away rapidly, as it will only be a matter of time before the women's team/situation affects it's reputation in the women's game.

decorativeed

City's
Ours

Having physically been to both places and visited the facilities at Carrington, other than the fact they have the smaller stadium for the women's team, there is not a huge amount of difference. Inside Carrington is very impressive. You won't be able to tell that from an aerial photo.

Glorio

I think you misunderstand. That is a fact. No club has won both the Men's and Women's Champions League. I'm not even talking the same season here. No club that has won the Women's has ever won the Men's.

(same will be true of Barcelona if their Women win it of course)
Oh ... my bad.
Thought you were on a wind up and that there was a hidden "confidence joke" in there that Chelsea men had already won (or were certified to steamroll City and win) the CL as I didn't recall your post having an "if" when referring to the men's final.

I thought it read if the Chelsea women win, it would be the first year .....
Maybe it did have an "if" for men as well though, and I completely missed it.

dal

There could be many reasons she left including personal (hope not) but yes she’s great.

DiMaria

Shameful shameful shit. A United manager resigning because she felt she couldn't get basic facilities for her players is... heart-wrenching. Fecking Glazers.
It’s really getting to a point where it’s embarrassing. They don’t give a sh*t about the club as a whole, but only the parts that they can milk for the most money. And so long as they make money and they are isolated in America they will never leave without a revolution. We need to keep at it every week nonstop and hit them where it hurts the most (their pockets).

As for Casey it won’t be difficult at all for her to find a top class job. I just hope it’s not for one of our direct rival. Wish her the best, she’ll surely be missed.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There could be many reasons she left including personal (hope not) but yes she’s great.
Abundantly clear working conditions for her players is definitely part of it.
The club even out out a pr statement trying to absolve themselves of blame for the conditions. Blaming Covid like we are the only team having to deal with Covid.
It's embarrassing.

RORY65

I am not an apologist for the cnuts but we did lose a £100M last year. At some point, anyone who runs a P&L will understand that there have to be sacrifices made -- if revenues are down by 25% (due to matchday) and now sponsors are pulling out.

We need to spend big on summer transfers, then big on refurbishing OT, big on salaries and now women's infrastructure.... at some point you just cant afford to do all of the above.

Choices need to be made.
In the official statement when they set up the women's team again (remember it was closed basically as soon as they came in) it stated that they would train at the Cliff once it had been renovated and yet in 3 years nothing has been done. To blame this on Covid is nonsense, it only became an issue during the pandemic because they're fecking liars.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Why leave now after all that progress? First bump in the road and she’s off?
It doesn't look like it's a bump in the road, more like she's been promised improved infrastructure since the team was announced and absolutely nothing has been done for the team.

They've given them the bare minimum and she's managed to recruit well on a lower budget than the teams above her. Leicester are coming up this year and will have one of the best facilities in the womens game, they probably had a similar budget to her, Everton as well.

She's walked because she can't see it changing and she can get a better job in the NWSL without having to deal with this rubbish.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Only last year Stoney said this:

"This is our third year in existence, we're building it slowly, we've got a fantastic squad, and I'm proud of the work we've done in the window and the squad we’ve got is capable of achieving things.

"It's natural, in the men's game you have bigger budgets at the top than the bottom. It’s showing in the women’s game now."

She then went on to complain about City essentially 'buying' their way to the title back in Feburary.

United Womans team were producing more matchday revenue in the Championship than what City were doing in the WSL, but Covid has reduced the income the Womans team has received massively.

I get that she was probably fed a story of improving facilities and increasing budgets, but surely there has to be a realization that increasing spend when the money isn't flowing as freely just isn't sustainable for such a new team.

I get the impression that she maybe has become slightly disillusioned with the whole situation as she wants to break into that top three but due to the nature of the United Womans team, being fairly new and still growing, she is fustrated that it's taking so long.

If you look at the situation, United Womans team are performing above all expectations, I didn't expect them to be so competitive at this stage of their development, Stoney deserves credit for that of course, but also the scouting and recruitment dpt deserve some credit.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It’s really getting to a point where it’s embarrassing. They don’t give a sh*t about the club as a whole, but only the parts that they can milk for the most money. And so long as they make money and they are isolated in America they will never leave without a revolution. We need to keep at it every week nonstop and hit them where it hurts the most (their pockets).

As for Casey it won’t be difficult at all for her to find a top class job. I just hope it’s not for one of our direct rival. Wish her the best, she’ll surely be missed.
You hit them at their pockets? And then you should not be surprised if we cant afford any transfer budget/priority players then.

You hit them where they live.

As you said they are isolated in America. Solving any troubles or problems is the job of UK-based employees like Woodward etc. That's Woody's job. The Glazers won't feel anything. The employees are paid to find solutions. Not the owners.

Invading their private space affects them. They are too far away to be affected by protests or otherwise an ocean apart.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Maybe she got another bigger offer? Doing an Alex Greenwood?
She's had better offers before and ignored them. The timing doesn't seem particularly advantageous for her or her young family. The speed it happened makes it feel like she made one last bid to get promises for next season, and got nothing. If they really did tell her that any training ground improvements would come out of her player budget then it's no wonder she picked up her phone to those with potential offers and decided to jump.

She was promised the Cliff, and then a new home at a bigger, revamped Carrington. She's currently got a tent and a portacabin on one of the outer pitches.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
She's had better offers before and ignored them. The timing doesn't seem particularly advantageous for her or her young family. The speed it happened makes it feel like she made one last bid to get promises for next season, and got nothing. If they really did tell her that any training ground improvements would come out of her player budget then it's no wonder she picked up her phone to those with potential offers and decided to jump.

She was promised the Cliff, and then a new home at a bigger, revamped Carrington. She's currently got a tent and a portacabin on one of the outer pitches.
Yep I agree with this and think the same. She's talked about next season and what signings were needed just a few days ago. This wasn't planned months ago completely. I think she's gone to a meeting with Woodward/Murtagh on Monday and they've reneged again on promises, she's got offers from the NWSL and so she's walked.

Covid can explain the need for the tent for a gym. But the fact they couldn't sort out some bloody toilets and took time before they even got them showers says it all.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I get that she was probably fed a story of improving facilities and increasing budgets, but surely there has to be a realization that increasing spend when the money isn't flowing as freely just isn't sustainable for such a new team.
She was fed a promise that they'd be in their home base of a freshly renovated Cliff in season one. Then an excuse that the team might soon need better than the (not renovated) Cliff and that United were looking at bigger and better things for them. This isn't about a post covid financial hit, it's about three years of failure to give her the infrastructure that she was promised.

Part of the big picture story for the women's team was that we weren't going to spend big on the player (transfer/wages) budget. Instead we were going to focus on developing young players, and suppliment them with experience/talent to give us a stable path to success. The superior infrastructure and technical support from United was supposed to be our secret weapon.

In many ways, it feels like Casey got us in a position to challenge too fast. The Glazers were content not to take the PR hit of, "the other Premier League teams all have a women's team - so why don't United," and they've done that.

Now we need to give them the next PR hit - how about proper facilities that don't make even your budget conscious manager walk out on you.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
She was fed a promise that they'd be in their home base of a freshly renovated Cliff in season one. Then an excuse that the team might soon need better than the (not renovated) Cliff and that United were looking at bigger and better things for them. This isn't about a post covid financial hit, it's about three years of failure to give her the infrastructure that she was promised.

Part of the big picture story for the women's team was that we weren't going to spend big on the player (transfer/wages) budget. Instead we were going to focus on developing young players, and suppliment them with experience/talent to give us a stable path to success. The superior infrastructure and technical support from United was supposed to be our secret weapon.

In many ways, it feels like Casey got us in a position to challenge too fast. The Glazers were content not to take the PR hit of, "the other Premier League teams all have a women's team - so why don't United," and they've done that.

Now we need to give them the next PR hit - how about proper facilities that don't make even your budget conscious manager walk out on you.
My question is this. Who's fault is this? Glazers/Woodward/Murtagh?

Obv the buck stops with the Glazers, but they're not the people arranging a pitch for the women to train on. Murtagh was involved from the start with the womens team, he was involved in the recruitment etc, he's been at games. Was he lying to Casey about the plans or did he actually think they'd be followed through and they've just not? Is it Woodward, he the Glazers man but do they say to him "Don't spend money on infrastructure, use whats there" or does he just prioritise signings instead with a limited budget? In 2019 they spent 12m on a shopping area near OT, retail is tanking anyway so why spend that money on that when you could spend it on facilities.

Glazers took over in 2005, they've not spent any money on OT. But I found this on wiki -

In 2012, work began on a new £25 million medical facility at the site. It was completed in early 2013, and includes a state-of-the-art hospital wing and sports science department for treating player injuries and assisting in recuperation, with treatment rooms and offices for; doctors, physiotherapists, sports scientists, sports psychologists, statisticians and dieticians. The facility was supplied with £13 million worth of medical equipment by Toshiba Medical Systems Corporation, as part of their sponsorship with the club, and the medical centre is fitted with x-ray computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and ultrasound scanners, as well as other high-tech screening equipment normally reserved for hospitals.

Now thats 7 years after they took over, so this has not been planned before then like the quadrents at OT. David Gill got Carrington improved then with a significant amount of money. This leads me to suspect that Woodward himself is a major reason for these lack of improvements. Since he took over theres been no major works, not since the Glazers.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea

Choices need to be made.
Sounds like you couldn't be more of an apologist for them.

Drop in the ocean springs to mind.

"Big losses Malcolm, where can we save a bit? We could take every so slightly less dividends for a year or so?"

"Don't be silly, cut the lunches at the canteen, the staff can bring their own from home, that'll cover it"