Casey Stoney has resigned

decorativeed

Hearing from sources at the club that Stoney was getting her house renovated by the club sponsors (new Kohler bathroom etc). They finished work the day before he handed in her resignation. Got to admire her timing for that!

Also I know that she sent out allstaff emails in response to Ed Woodward sending out club schedules without including any of the women's team matches on it. He then allstaff replied with a grovelling apology claiming it was an accident.... But then failed to follow up and correct it.

The club is a shambles, and I don't blame her for no longer wanting to deal with it. Unfortunately I don't think we'll be able to replace her with someone of a similar standard.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Hearing from sources at the club that Stoney was getting her house renovated by the club sponsors (new Kohler bathroom etc). They finished work the day before he handed in her resignation. Got to admire her timing for that!

Also I know that she sent out allstaff emails in response to Ed Woodward sending out club schedules without including any of the women's team matches on it. He then allstaff replied with a grovelling apology claiming it was an accident.... But then failed to follow up and correct it.

The club is a shambles, and I don't blame her for no longer wanting to deal with it. Unfortunately I don't think we'll be able to replace her with someone of a similar standard.
Ha. She was definitely having some Kohler stuff put in, I know that to. But that renovation is nowhere near completed either.

Woodward stuff is a bit interesting as according in Emma Sanders she actually got along well with him and was sorry to see him go!

pascell

Any chance the MUST will put a question forward to Joel Glazer in the fans forum regarding this?

Saying that, I think they'll give a 'sweep it under the rug answer' saying she got a better offer elsewhere.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Rumours today that she’s been lined up to manage my local team, Wrexham. The men’s team...

Surely not, right?

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Rumours today that she’s been lined up to manage my local team, Wrexham. The men’s team...

Surely not, right?
Just looked that up right now. Seems a long shot - Emma Hayes from Chelsea was linked with Wimbledon (she denied it) earlier in the season so maybe things like this are being leaked to get more press?

That said, if it's true, the location would mean her family could stay in their current home/schools. They've also had that takeover from Ryan Reynolds etc so it might makes sense that way. Casey has coached mens youth players before when she was a player, she's not been stuck in a WSL bubble that way.

The only reason I've ever doubted the NWSL stories is because she never went to America to play in the WPS like the other players did, Smith etc and she could have. There's very limited womens football jobs if her family does want to stay home and doesn't want to go to a National Team.

One thing to note was that Emma Hayes said the Wimbledon job didn't appeal as her setup was better than that was, if Wrexham who're leagues below are a better prospect that Man Utd Women it's a bit of an inditement of the current setup really.

Lightbringer

Any chance the MUST will put a question forward to Joel Glazer in the fans forum regarding this?

Saying that, I think they'll give a 'sweep it under the rug answer' saying she got a better offer elsewhere.
How do we make sure this happens if possible?

Surely not, right?
It would be a really interesting move if true. I would be really surprised, her stock in the women’s game is really high, and she’s swapping that to work at a small club (no disrespect), and more importantly most managers at that level don’t go on to be successful at a high level.

Sparky Rhiwabon

It would be a really interesting move if true. I would be really surprised, her stock in the women’s game is really high, and she’s swapping that to work at a small club (no disrespect), and more importantly most managers at that level don’t go on to be successful at a high level.
They don’t intend to be at that level for long. They’ve just appointed Les Reed, formerly DoF at Southampton - these guys mean business

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It's still a better job than being a women's team manager. and even if she fails at it, her stock at the women's game wouldn't be affected by much.

sparx99

I’ve no problem with women managing men’s teams but what’s the dressing room protocol? Does she only come in once everyone is decent?

Cloud7

After seeing how good the Barcelona women's team did recently, I thought about how cool it would be to one day see our own women's team winning stuff as well. And then I see this thread and see that the Glazers have fecked up the woman's team as well, which makes me sad.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I know this is about the Wrexham job, but the Forest Green owner recently came out and said he wouldn’t be averse to giving a female manager a chance. I think it would be great in all honesty, probably not successful though.

Brophs

The One and Only
I just hope the club that give a female manager a job do it for the right reasons and not just to make a point. I’d be pretty certain that there are managers - Emma Hayes and Casey Stoney closer to home - who could do a good job in men’s football, given the chance and the support. The latter is just as important as getting the chance, though. Otherwise you just end up with these women being used for headlines.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I mean same question for the men’s coaches in women’s teams. It must be awkward or inconvenient in some capacity.
Well, to be fair, aren’t there players who are openly gay in some women's teams? I guess getting naked in front of them is no different to getting naked in front of Phil Nev?

Andersons Dietician

Do we have a new manager yet for the woman’s team? Think Fergie could be persuaded. First manager to do the treble with men’s and woman’s team.

krentz

Gotta be honest I'm very disappointed with her decision to resign, i thought she couldve been sir Matt of our women team. Now our women team is such in disarray i'm worried about next season.

Andersons Dietician

See she has taken a job in San Diego. I’m guessing as assistant coach cause I think in the announcement it’s with the USA team coach is it?

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
See she has taken a job in San Diego. I’m guessing as assistant coach cause I think in the announcement it’s with the USA team coach is it?
No she'll be the manager/Head Coach. Jill Ellis (ex USWNT) is instead acting a bit like a Director of Football for them.

It was rumoured immediately after the United exit with Twitter talk that she'd been in discussions with them since Feb time. TBH San Diego is going to be a challenge in NWSL, they're starting the same time as the much more hyped Angel City (they have loads of celebs as owners) and they're in the same state as them as well. That said ACFC still haven't announced anyone except Eni Aluko as their Sporting Director.

A bit of a strange decision to go now when Stoney never went abroad as a player, but money wise it probably makes sense. The fact it she was discussing this move right when the United season fell apart is another bitter pill to swallow. TBH she went down in my estimation a bit with the recent Athletic report that she tried to resign right before the all important Arsenal game. Things were obviously crappy last season at United but there are some things you just don't do as a manager and thats one of them to me. Really took her eyes off the ball to me.

Andersons Dietician

No she'll be the manager/Head Coach. Jill Ellis (ex USWNT) is instead acting a bit like a Director of Football for them.

It was rumoured immediately after the United exit with Twitter talk that she'd been in discussions with them since Feb time. TBH San Diego is going to be a challenge in NWSL, they're starting the same time as the much more hyped Angel City (they have loads of celebs as owners) and they're in the same state as them as well. That said ACFC still haven't announced anyone except Eni Aluko as their Sporting Director.

A bit of a strange decision to go now when Stoney never went abroad as a player, but money wise it probably makes sense. The fact it she was discussing this move right when the United season fell apart is another bitter pill to swallow. TBH she went down in my estimation a bit with the recent Athletic report that she tried to resign right before the all important Arsenal game. Things were obviously crappy last season at United but there are some things you just don't do as a manager and thats one of them to me. Really took her eyes off the ball to me.
I thought it might be something like that, No disrespect but even with the state United woman’s team seems to be in assistant coach of a team in the US probably would have been a big step down.

Saying that I feel like a director of football for our woman’s team would be a great idea. I’m guessing Casey had a lot of power when it came to decisions for the woman’s team and maybe it needs someone who can take the reigns permanently and allow the manager/coach to do their job.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
I thought it might be something like that, No disrespect but even with the state United woman’s team seems to be in assistant coach of a team in the US probably would have been a big step down.

Saying that I feel like a director of football for our woman’s team would be a great idea. I’m guessing Casey had a lot of power when it came to decisions for the woman’s team and maybe it needs someone who can take the reigns permanently and allow the manager/coach to do their job.
I think some of the current womens team issues are that she was the be all and end all for the team. Some of it will be because she wasn't given a big enough budget. But we also need to remember that when Willie Kirk left after 6 months, instead of replacing him as her assistant manager she instead got her Father in Law out of retirement for 18 months to do the job. She only appointed Martin Ho after he'd already worked for the U21 team for a year.

I don't doubt her budget was limited, but I now wonder how much was her and how much was the club. Maybe because she started everything she felt like she needed so much control? But I note again from the Athletic article that one of the Finance Directors has taken over as an effective General Manager of the team. How can there not already have been someone with that role? Seems to me either because of Casey herself or the club she was the Manager/GM/DOF and probably other roles. When really that needs to be different people, who can't all leave at one time and put things back to square one.

edcunited1878

This is pretty cool! She's now the best manager for a pro club in San Diego...loads more successful and better than Landon Donovan.

Casey has the opportunity to develop a team from the ground up and she has the full support of Jill Ellis and Molly Downtain. While Angel City FC is the glamour club and has a lot of women ownership/investors, the playing setup is much better, more qualified, and does things without the lights/attention...something that Casey appreciates and loves. You get the attention by doing things the right way and by winning. That's the entire setup of this club.

“I think we’re going to have an exciting team,” she said. “In my conversations with the coach, I think that we’re very similar in terms of what we value and what we are drawn to in the game.”

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
So I guess the rumours that she had already accepted a job in America when she left United were probably true then. :rolleyes: