Casey Stoney

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Good article, some heartfelt stuff from Casey on her own struggles as a younger woman/player in there.

I always like these little peeks inside the club and how we operate. I remember someone saying that we basically mimicked a lot of our men's/youth team structures when we set up the women's team. Interesting that that has extended into the psychological and wellbeing support side as well.

Grande

Good article, some heartfelt stuff from Casey on her own struggles as a younger woman/player in there.

I always like these little peeks inside the club and how we operate. I remember someone saying that we basically mimicked a lot of our men's/youth team structures when we set up the women's team. Interesting that that has extended into the psychological and wellbeing support side as well.
For the moment it looks like the men’s team are trying to the set up of the women’s team, and luckily so! The first Man United leader after Ferguson that I felt ‘gets’ what United should be about was Casey Stoney, and noe Ole Gunnar Solskjær.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
It feels like she's the ideal manager for us. On the one side she's creating a team from scratch, on the other hand she's played for enough clubs that she can enjoy what United are willing to offer in terms of expertise built running the men's teams.

That interview podcast is a long one (40 minutes!) - ideal for a commute to work or similar sort of listen. She talks about United, her sporting upbringing, her ambitions for the women's game and her personal life.

A few random highlights:
United, "the most integrated I've ever felt as part of the club. It's the attention to detail."
"We try not to play at the same time as the men," because it's seen as a clash by the women's team crowd (which apparently isn't the case for all women's clubs). "I'd love to be here for many more years."

She talked about seeing the future in terms of giving little girls the opportunity to play and to showing them that football can be an ambition. From relabelling the football shirts/boots as "children's sizes" rather than boys sizes to making sure schools let girls play football and boys play netball, rather than just building in the assumptions. "I want them to see they have the same opportunities to play. I don't mean the same money - I'm a realist - we don't draw as many fans at the moment."

On her time at Chelsea and how things used to be in the women's game. "We didn't even have club tracksuits - John Terry bought us some."

She turned professional at 30! Up until then she'd funded herself with part-time jobs like "betting shops - they open a bit later, which was good because football training was usually 8pm to 10pm, so early starts were hard," and as a coach of women's teams and junior teams (girls and boys).

On her personal life. "I'm a football manager and I'm a mum." She hopes that one day, that being gay will be a non-story (for the men as well as the women) so a player can choose to say, "Yeah, I'm gay - so what?" and talk about their family etc if they want to.

Recent changes in the women's game (in particular it adopting the winter schedule after years as a summer league). She noted that without United (who've pulled the average crowd size up) attendances have actually declined a little this season which she blames on the fact it's harder to bring the kids in bad weather. She also commented on the fixture list mess in general, "United had 7 games in 20 days, now we've no match for 3 weeks," and how it's hard for fans to build the team into their routine.