[Castles] Maguire has indicated to #mufc that he would like an English-born/speaker defender

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Definitely a story written to fit a stereotype.

How many of the best club partnerships since the 90s / Bosman have been two players from the same country? Surprisingly few from what I can remember.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
No way Maguire has indicated that. He plays in a team full of international player of which he is the captain. I don't think he will even consider making this kind of request to Ole.

But if he has then do you people reckon he should be the captain?

dinostar77

The news, genuine or otherwise, comes from Ian McGarry, rather than Duncan Castles, as is clear if you listen to the podcast. 26 mins 8 secs is the starting point.

While both of them are typically critical of United, in this particular podcast, Castles gives a relatively balanced assessment of United's approach towards their recent Football Director and Technical Director appointments, then insight on Eric Bailly being offered a new deal and Maguire's lack of pace preventing United from adopting a different style of defending. Castles also makes clear that he doesn't rate Solskjaer in the slightest and considers the decision to spend £80m on Maguire to be a big mistake.

Personally, I am deeply sceptical of the idea that United are going to spend heavily in the summer on a CB, especially given the number of clean sheets we have had against the top teams. We have a huge number of scouts, so of course they will be doing their job, looking at possible options, should we decide that we have to buy.
Most of the critics on here wont have listened to the podcast, but judge anyway. What Castles said about Murtough was interesting in particular.

Personally i like the pair and the podcast. Been listening for years. They often break news first and rarely sensationalise. But go ahead with the bashing. I've said my piece.

Judas

Open to offers
I couldn't ever imagine caring about where a player is from, it's their talent that matter. You see plenty of idiots on here saying crap like "don't want anyone from Argentina!!!" due to stuff that happened with players over ten years ago. It's beyond pathetic.

wolvored

It might have been said in jest off the cuff, anything. The press will twist anything to suit a sentationalist story. Terry in 2006 was asked could we win WC he said we got a good chance on TV. In the Sun next day Terry were definitely going to win WC and stuff around that what was never said. That's just a mild example as I saw the TV interview

Withnail

The news, genuine or otherwise, comes from Ian McGarry, rather than Duncan Castles, as is clear if you listen to the podcast. 26 mins 8 secs is the starting point.
Calm down, this wasn't from Castles (who does have some sources), it was Ian McGarry (who is at best a 12th tier journo). I'd imagine there's nothing in this if McGarry is peddling it. He doesn't even write for a newspaper any more as far as I know. His stories are always the the type that are impossible to check...

If it was true then you would be right to be worried.

If McGarry said it then it's more than likely absolute pony and not worth discussing.

Withnail

Most of the critics on here wont have listened to the podcast, but judge anyway. What Castles said about Murtough was interesting in particular.

Personally i like the pair and the podcast. Been listening for years. They often break news first and rarely sensationalise. But go ahead with the bashing. I've said my piece.
Ah yes McGarry loves that line: 'You heard it here first'

But did you really? And if you did how many other stories did you also hear which weren't even close to being true?

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
If McGarry said it then it's more than likely absolute pony and not worth discussing.
You could tell Castles thought it was nonsense while McGarry was saying it. McGarry also reckons United see Maguire "as a typical English defender who isn't great on the ball so they want to sign someone who is better in that department" (to paraphrase)... Castles had to step in at that point...

redshaw

Announce we've signed Victor Lintel, teach him to say alright mate in a Sheffield accent.

Slabhead and Lintelhead with Jughead as backup

Last edited:

big rons sovereign

Is this a steaming pile of shit I see before me?
Why yes, yes it is!
Castles in bullshit shocker, read all about it, you heard it here first.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Maguire's XI

Henderson

Aaron Wayne Bethford
Maguire
Axel Terrance
Luke Shaw

Scott McTominay
Fred Smith

Marcus Rashford
Mason Greenwood
Dan James

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That podcast is self aggrandizing nonsense. Self proclaimed transfer experts, tactical experts and sporting directors.

Surprised no one's offered them a job to run a whole club top to bottom, the way they talk with such assertiveness on topics.

Judas

Open to offers
It's weird to see McGarry on some sort of ITK podcast, when he used to just be on BBC Five Live as the most clueless know nothing pundit. He's never got much insight of note and seems to pull shite out of his arse more than Castles, which is quite impressive.

copen1945

During the West Ham game, Maguire did well to get AWB in line when he was making mistakes. Maguire is taking on the captain's responsibilities to command the team. Other insinuations are unwarranted.

lsd

The Oracle
Hopefully next year he will have an English speaking cell mate

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
It most likely BS but I wouldn't rule it out if it's true.
I have done it myself in Master League, and the majority voted for Brexit anyway.

A-man

Hes not racist, hes nationalist. Harry is the type of guy who sings his national anthem in the shower.
If Harry wants someone who is:

English speaking
English born
White

It can easily be taken for racism...

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I don't get it ? Does lindelof not speak English or something ?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
People giving this story oxygen is baffling. Our fanbase can be annoyingly thick at times.
It's not surprising, people need a reason to have a go at our players or management. So it's easy to see why twat like Castles gets enough clicks for their stories.

Even if he did secretly think that, does anybody believe he would actually say it, let alone say it loud enough for it to leak to the press. It would destroy team morale if he openly said he only wanted English players around him.

Besides, we've all heard Maguire and Lindelof interviewed. I know who my money would be on to pass an English exam.