Cavani and Ronaldo in the same XI

Abraxas

I don't see how it works very well with our personnel.

We're not going to play them both down the middle in some kind of 4-4-2 because it doesn't offer any protection at all to our defence and we don't have suitable wingers. Similarly, a 3-5-2 is not a consistent option because we lack suitable wingback options on the right and I don't think our quality through the middle of the pitch is good enough to put up with only having one source of width (Shaw)

We're probably not going to sacrifice Bruno centrally in our current setup so that idea of one withdrawn is toast.

The most logical would be one of them plays from a nominally wide forward position because it doesn't require wholesale tactical changes. Both can do this. But would it actually be productive? I think you lose a bit of speed and potentially creativity. One is always going to be a bit unhappier and having to do a defensive job. Would they be stepping on each others toes as they both want to take up similar positions - they're not young anymore, they want to use their energy in and around the box. Does that then leave us without much natural width on the left which has been our main attacking outlet for years now?

Theres a lot of question marks and I think that's because on paper it looks wrong at this stage in their career but you never know, I'm not adverse to seeing it for a game or two or when we desperately need a goal.

Last edited:

OleGunnar20

De Gea
AWB - Varane - Maguire - Shaw
Greenwood - Bruno - Pogba - Sancho
Cavani - Ronaldo

Attack Attack Attack !

lex talionis

I’m sure it would be a good idea against most clubs, but given the opponent on Saturday we can make this work.

Flanders Devil

This is the only way I see it working but 8t benches Mason, Sancho and Rashford, which I don't want to see happen.

I can’t see it working well with both starting, but if it were to happen -I agree what you have is best.
OR you go the ultra attack version of this and swap Shaw and AWB for Rashford/Sancho and Mason/Sancho (as LAM and RAM rather than wingbacks).
That would be fun to watch!!

Demaw

Two guys who know how to score and make amazing runs. As mentioned with low blocking teams, they have the understanding to break them down. Are they guys we want pressing for 90 minutes, no, but with 3-4 chances we could score two goals and then restructure to keep the win. You don't lose many games with talents like these two on the field together. Combined with Mason the defences won't know who to focus on. Three players with 20 goals in each of them and Bruno feeding them.

Dante

Average bang
We might see it 3 or 4 times before the end of the season, but only when we're chasing a game and the likes of Rashford/Greenwood/Sancho are being rested.

These two won't be regular teammates.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Aren't they too similar?

I think Cavani will struggle for game time this season. He kind of over played his 'Uraguay First' attitude tbh so serves him right

CloneMC16

Playing two strikers in the current era is suicide. Ronaldo is not a winger and will only play as a #9. They would both have to be upfront for it to work. We will never do this at the start of any game. Maybe in the final 10 minutes if we're desperate for a goal. Cavani is going to have to sit it out more often than not. Ronaldo is here and he is better than Cavani. Probably harsh on him, but it is what it is. There is zero reason to destroy the balance in our team to fit in Cavani.

We also just signed Sancho for £74m and have Greenwood in fantastic form. Removing our wing forward positions would be insane. Cavani is not going to be here next season. We should not be changing our system for him when Greenwood, Sancho and Rashford will be here for years to come.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Personally this is one of the main reasons I thought Ole wanted Rice - as the shielding 3rd CB/CDM

De gea

Varane - Rice - Maguire

Trippier - Pogba - Mctominay - Shaw

Bruno

Cavani - Ronaldo​

The more fast alternative upfront is

Greenwood - Rashford​

Then swap Cavani for the left footed Haaland for the same approach the following season.

If VDB has a future he can take Mctominay's spot due to us playing a back 3 as well etc.

Chicharo

No. Practically all of the possible options that would give Ole the opportunity to play them both require that we play only one DM (which for the quadrillionth time we can't, because of the obvious reasons).
The only way they could and probably will play together is when we are in a desperate situation to score.
Among other options is to put Ronaldo on the wing (he hasn't been a winger for some time) or sacrifice Rash, Greenwood and Jadon, and with Pogba playing on the left we will sacrifice at least one of them anyway.

AussieDevil

I think if we play this team in defence:

——————-—-DDG

AWBMaguireVarane Shaw

———————-Fred

———-Bruno———Pogba

Sancho —————— Ronaldo
——————Cavani

And when attacking we position like this:

——————--—-DDG

——-—-AWBMaguireVarane

————————-Fred

Sancho——-Bruno—-Pogba——Shaw

———-——-Ronaldo ——Cavani

We play at a high enough level that our players should be able to execute this style of play. It’s not too dissimilar to what Mourinho did at Chelsea when hed push one fullback up and tuck the other in.

lenny_1248

You just do what Real did.
4-3-3 in attack and 4-4-2 when you defend.
Pogba needs to be benched in that scenario though....

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's ironic to have the two best off the ball runners in football and most likely only ever see them on the pitch together when we're in desperation mode trying to get goals by any means necessary.

In theory, they would be magical together, but we don't have two-way wingers to accommodate them in a 4-4-2, and Ronaldo is actually being wasted asked to play properly wide now, so putting him on the left is not optimal, instead lessening his impact on the pitch.

The only way it realistically works is to use wingbacks, but that makes all our wing-forwards redundant, which we're simply not going to do.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I think if we play this team in defence:

——————-—-DDG

AWBMaguireVarane Shaw

———————-Fred

———-Bruno———Pogba

Sancho —————— Ronaldo
——————Cavani

And when attacking we position like this:

——————--—-DDG

——-—-AWBMaguireVarane

————————-Fred

Sancho——-Bruno—-Pogba——Shaw

———-——-Ronaldo ——Cavani

We play at a high enough level that our players should be able to execute this style of play. It’s not too dissimilar to what Mourinho did at Chelsea when hed push one fullback up and tuck the other in.
Wouldn’t Ronaldo take up the left forward role instead of right?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Unless we're playing against a 3rd division side then playing Ronaldo and Cavani together would be stupid. They are both old and cannot/wouldn't backtrack.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We should try like a 4-1-2-1-2

De gea, AWB, Varane, Maguire, Shaw, matic, pogba, mctominay, Bruno, Ronaldo, cavani.

People might say it’s narrow but then they’ll be space out wide for full backs to bomb forward and hit crosses in to the likes of cavani and ronaldo, also gives us an option to play through the middle, ronaldo still has some pace about him.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Looking at the Squad, it needs a good trimming down next summer, players we thought we're good 1st team Players are suddenly becoming deadwood.

The likes of Martial, Matic, Mata, Bailey, Jones, Telles... should be let go after this season, which would open up space for fresh and Hungry players either from Academy or new signings.

There have been teams stacked with more Attacking talent i.e Real Madrid Galacticos of Ronaldo, Raul, Owen, Figo... I remember Inter Milan having Andrino, Martines, Christian Veiri, Recoba once.

P.S; Excuses me i started off topic didn't see a thread were my Opinion in the first two Paragraph fit, so i thought this was the closest.

UpWithRivers

It might work but it epitomizes Oles reign at the club. Its just fitting players in without a long term strategy. Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea have a system and a long term strategy. They buy players to fit a system and each player slots in accordingly. It feels like we are always making sht up on the fly.

Thiagoal

Imagine Cavani and Ronnie on the end of those 375 crossed Moyes got us delivering V Fulham all those years ago. We’d have won that game handsomely :drool:

jesperjaap

A few people mentioning Ronaldo moving out wide, yet nobody mentioning Cavani out wide when he has played there for a while for PSG himself. Neither of these options are optimal in my opinion as there are better options on the flanks.

Would love to see the two of them together up front, but we simply dont have the right central midfielders to support them and really you lose Fernandes or play him deeper.

I only see a Cavani and ROnaldo partnership happening from the bench in certain situations

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I’d rather see us warming both guys up to the idea of both playing only parts of most matches for us. We need Ronaldo to give us more when he plays, which he should be capable of doing if he only needs to play 65 minutes, with Cavani replacing him to give us fresh legs.

There might be the odd occasion you want both when pushing for a late goal, but it shouldn’t be the norm, as they are our only two bonafide centre forwards.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Glad that Ole is rotating Cavani and Ronaldo and not falling into the trap of trying to build a team around playing both of them together. I posted back in May this year that Ronaldo and Cavani would be a good centre forward rotation for United, but never thought I’d see it. Cavani’s shown his strengths, but he can’t play much more than 40% of our minutes. Ronaldo will be better for having minutes managed too.

Kag

Glad that Ole is rotating Cavani and Ronaldo and not falling into the trap of trying to build a team around playing both of them together. I posted back in May this year that Ronaldo and Cavani would be a good centre forward rotation for United, but never thought I’d see it. Cavani’s shown his strengths, but he can’t play much more than 40% of our minutes. Ronaldo will be better for having minutes managed too.
I agree in principle as I don’t think Ronaldo will do enough hard yards on the wing and we’re not good enough to get away with that at the moment. I wouldn’t have chosen the game before an international break to rest Ronaldo, though.

I’m more than happy to be proven wrong, mind.

Sviken

Ole is fecking clueless, but that's the way it should have gone from the first minute we brought Ronaldo. Cavani is literally the perfect prototype partner for Ronaldo

cyberman

No more talk about Ronaldo slowing things down and other such nonsense. We can play dynamic football with him up top and there’s no excuse not to

spiriticon

Our best team has the both of them in it. Unfortunately they are both old as feck

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
For his own sake, as well as the team, hopefully he takes lessons and dont play Ronaldo as lone CF going forward.

Always been better with a CF playing by his side.

ForeverRed1

Could be a real partnership there. Have to be careful not to over play them and protect them but it’s a joy to watch.

two very nice goals