Cavani gets 3 match ban from FA for his social media post

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Despite it being silly given the context, I find it odd that the term is just accepted as being accepted there, to be honest. Just because it's the done thing there doesn't mean it's A ok does it?
He didn't even say it to a black guy! Does anyone here in the UK actually understand the cultural significance of the word? I certainly don't so I wouldn't presume to pass judgement on it. And given the FA was until incredibly recently run by a man who didn't know you shouldn't say "coloured people" any more, you'll forgive me if I don't believe for one minute they understand the cultural significance of a word in another language. Their "linguistic consultants" or whatever they were called were probably the chairman's mate who went on holiday to Costa Rica once.

Siviz

Supports
Swansea
Ludicrous decision. A warning, maybe. A fine? Bit of a stretch, but fine. Suspension? Downright silly. Face-to-face-education? Now that's just fecking delusional. How about the FA take a face-to-face-education in Uruguayan customs instead?

90 + 5min

Prepare to be disappointed then. In life you learn when to fight a battle and when not to, you have to see the bigger picture.
That is what I think too. Sometime it is better to just let it go.

We know stupidity of the this ban. But so be it. TheFA can throw a party or two with the money they got now.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Most of em seem to leave the pics to a social media manager, but a lot of their stories seem to be their own.
I think if lessons are to be learned then anything written will have to be vetted first.

What an age we’re living in, jeez

RedDevil@84

This will backfire on LFC-FA as it will galvanise our squad into "us against the world" mentality and drive us towards winning the league.
Jose is not in charge. So I doubt that.

Having said that, we must show our anger by smashing Villa

Superunknown

I think what you are trying to say is - JACKPOT! :)

The Villa-game he wouldnt have started
The City-game he wouldnt have started
The Watford-game - we wont need him anyway
Just got to hope that none of those games gets postponed due to Covid.

Havak

Pokemon master
At the moment, he misses Man City, Watford, Burnley right? If the City game is postponed, he'll miss the game at Anfield.

Definitely smells a bit this one considering how long it took them to dish out the punishment and when the appeal period lasts to.

Also had all season so far to rearrange our game with Burnley in the first place, but conveniently put it just before the Liverpool game. Hate to put the tinfoil hat on, but I get the feeling this is because of the comments Ole made after the Everton game (PL).

Joke.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Of course they wait until he misses the City/Pool game. The FA are cnuts.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
3 games for using language common in his native language..

You sure showed Cavani and the world how to not be racist FA.

There is nothing about this that isn't absolute over the top bullshit.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Would have been surprising if there was any other outcome as the three game suspension is the minimum as far as I'm aware. Cavani and the club doing the right thing by first apologising and then not contesting the charge.

Havak

Pokemon master
Villa, City and Watford

If City game gets postponed, then Burnley.
He can play Villa tomorrow as we have until the 4th to respond I thought? If we respond today does that mean he misses tomorrow?

I was under the assumption the ban is effective from the 4th in this case.

RedDevil@84

How is this a 3 game ban whilst B Silva was a 1 game ban?
Cavani was charged with "improper conduct bringing game into disrepute" and "aggravated breach for implying colour/race/ethnic origin" while Silva was charged with "bringing game into disrepute" only

FA had already decided it will be a lengthy ban. So there was no real escape, unless FA agreed to drop the "aggravated breach" clause.

RedDevil@84

He can play Villa tomorrow as we have until the 4th to respond I thought? If we respond today does that mean he misses tomorrow?

I was under the assumption the ban is effective from the 4th in this case.
Didn't United already say we have accepted it?

Fridge chutney

Foreigner uses word in friendly way on social media in his own language that is apparently culturally acceptable where he is from...I mean I can see why it’s an issue and that you would want to dissuade players from using such words but dishing out fines/bans with no thought of context is just a recipe for disaster further down the line.
What are you talking about? I'm sure the FA board are a culturally sensitive and diverse group...

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
This will sound stupid but how FA can ban you for something which you did in your private time?
Not sure, but probably the same reason why victims can't get a player like Mings sentenced behind bars from what he does on a football pitch.

Fridge chutney

Most of em seem to leave the pics to a social media manager, but a lot of their stories seem to be their own.
It seems to be a mix these days. Some posts are clearly from the players, and some are from a PR or marketing management team. A lot of Bruno's stuff seems authentic, for example.

Stacks

No surprise the rules are clear and this was always going to be the outcome.

We know it wasn't intended as anything racially but it's how it is interpreted here and we can't argue.
I too am not surprised by the ruling but we can argue if a nation of English speakers misinterpret Latin Spanish words, should you be punished? Interpretation "conveys meaning of the spoken word from one language to another"

If we spoke our own form of Spanish e.g. Castellano and certain Latin American words were interpreted different then fine, but we are not Spanish speakers here so how are we interpreting Latin American languages wrongly? Is it possible that English speakers don't actually understand how Spanish works?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This will sound stupid but how FA can ban you for something which you did in your private time?
Because it's on a platform that is seen by 100s of thousands of people?

It's not like he's written something on a facebook personal message!

90 + 5min

The FA said in a statement: “Edinson Cavani has been suspended for three games, fined £100,000 and must complete face-to-face education after admitting a charge for a breach of FA Rule E3 in relation to a social media post on Sunday 29 November 2020.”

Comedy on highest level.

DoomSlayer

Feck off, the whole FA are a bunch of jokers! This reminds me of the time Rooney was punished for swearing in front of a camera during a goal celebration, don't remember what game it was exactly.

Perfect timing as usual, Ighalo is out of the door and we have no back-up striker.

Coleyoscar

The FA decides to take no action in response to racist booing of players taking the knee at Millwall and now this overreaction to what everybody knows was, at worst, an error of judgement.

This inconsistency is what actually brings our game into disrepute

RedDevil@84

Feck off, the whole FA are a bunch of jokers! This reminds me of the time Rooney was punished for swearing in front of a camera during a goal celebration, don't remember what game it was exactly.

Perfect timing as usual, Ighalo is out of the door and we have no back-up striker.
The most hilarious ban was Rooney and Scholes ban.
Red carded in the pre-season friendly in Amsterdam against Porto, but FA said, they did not care. Rooney and Scholes cannot play in PL for 3 games.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
No surprise the rules are clear and this was always going to be the outcome.

We know it wasn't intended as anything racially but it's how it is interpreted here and we can't argue.
Yes I agree that a English speaking country should look at foreign languages and look at words and expressions that look similar to English words that someone might find offensive if they try REALLY hard.

On that note: I bring you racist crayons:

crossy1686

career ending
Despite what you think of the ban, they waited until he was fit to apply it. Feels like the time they banned Rooney for swearing all over again

Kag

Was always coming. The insistence that the ‘education’ must be “face-to-face” seems to be woefully oblivious.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I too am not surprised by the ruling but we can argue if a nation of English speakers interpret Latin Spanish words. Interpretation "conveys meaning of the spoken word from one language to another"

If we spoke our own form of Spanish e.g. Castellano and the Latin American words were interpreted different then fine, but we are not Spanish speakers here so how are we interpreting Latin American languages wrongly? Is it possible that English speakers don't actually understand how Spanish works?
Well this is the interesting part to it.

It's not like he's come to England and used the "n" word that everyone in England knows to be offensive.

He's used a word in his own language that appears to have different meanings - and clearly used it in a friendly way (unlike Suarez's embarrassing defence of his own use of whatever he said)

The only way forward for clubs is to have players get every post approved by the PR team.

You'd be furious if you were manager losing a player for the same length of time as some sort of horrific challenge on the pitch.