Cavani gets 3 match ban from FA for his social media post

jem

Yep if I was Saudi Arabian and if you called Messi God in S/A you are going to jail mate
Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but I will say that having taught Saudis here in Toronto (whom I absolutely adored for the most part), I had to be very careful with my choice of words/subject matter (and that was in my own country.)

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I am starkly surprised by some of the comments here. This is the "minimum" punishment he could have received after being charged. There was no way that the FA would have let this go.

Letting this go would have been tantamount to setting up a precedence for players/clubs to use "lack of intent" as a get out of jail card even when the act was perpetrated with malicious intent. It is clear that Cavani has fallen prey to the general condition within football where racism is rampant and any act of letting players accused of racist behavior get off without punishment would be a step in the wrong direction.

It is unfair for Cavani but I think it is the right decision by him and the club to not contest it. Nothing good will come out of that.
It wasn't the minimum if the FA upheld the disrepute (by accident, not intentional but disrepute nonetheless) while dropping the "aggravated breach". That's the one that carries 6 games, or 3 with mitigating circumstances.

They were never going to do it though. I agree the club dealt with it well and Cavani clearly can't be arsed to have it drag on, just wants to get on with playing football.

As it stands, we are joint top if we win our game in hand, last thing club or player want is dragging this on.

Mindhunter

And you've missed my point - the poster I was responding to said they would be disappointed if Cavani hadn't been punished; the obvious inference being that said poster felt Cavani had made some kind of ethical breach (even though it is fairly obvious that it was an innocent mistake.) And it being an unwelcome word in England is a bit weird, given that it is a Spanish word that hardly has everyday currency in England (unlike the similar-sounding, and obvious unacceptable 'N' word.)

I think the FA could have easily avoided 'letting it go' by issuing a stern reminder of player duties to Cavan, and you can be sure he wouldn't have repeated the mistake. The fact that this same FA chose not to punish Millwall for the clearly intentional, and racist, actions of its fans but chose to punish Cavani in this way is not right in my opinion.
Sorry if I missed the point. It's most certainly an honest mistake and not an ethical breach.

It's not weird that a word that sounds like "negro" will be unwelcome in the English speaking world. I am not sure why you don't get it. Agreed that the FA could have issued him a stern warning and a fine without a ban. However, that would have been used as a precedence in the future for players to argue against a ban for a similar offense that could have been overturned on appeal or challenged in court. The FA simply didn't want to set up the precedence to allow themselves the leeway to punish others guilty of using racist words (or racist sounding words) on social media.

Again, it isn't fair on Cavani as he gets the raw end of the deal and his reputation has taken a minor hit. The analogy with Milwall again isn't relevant because Cavani is being charged based on the code of ethics for "players" not fans. You may argue that there are contradictions on how similar offenses are dealt with based on whether you are a player or a fan and you would be right.

gungho

Twitter post

Face to face education? :lol: What the hell, this is so stupid.
Bunch of sad, stupid clowns, the western world has truly gone to shit. A work ban + public shaming and re-education + a hefty fine for THAT?! No wonder China's finding it so easy to take over, their framework is partially already implemented.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
One rule for Cavani and other rules for Hennessey and Bernardo Silva!
FA are clowns. :lol:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Sorry if I missed the point. It's most certainly an honest mistake and not an ethical breach.

It's not weird that a word that sounds like "negro" will be unwelcome in the English speaking world. I am not sure why you don't get it. Agreed that the FA could have issued him a stern warning and a fine without a ban. However, that would have been used as a precedence in the future for players to argue against a ban for a similar offense that could have been overturned on appeal or challenged in court. The FA simply didn't want to set up the precedence to allow themselves the leeway to punish others guilty of using racist words (or racist sounding words) on social media.

Again, it isn't fair on Cavani as he gets the raw end of the deal and his reputation has taken a minor hit. The analogy with Milwall again isn't relevant because Cavani is being charged based on the code of ethics for "players" not fans. You may argue that there are contradictions on how similar offenses are dealt with based on whether you are a player or a fan and you would be right.
I think it’s extremely weird that because a word sounds like an offensive word, it shouldn’t be used, It has massive cultural differences hence Suarez trying to claim its use against Evra and the FA admitting that Negrito is not a racially motivated term.

The FA have always been a bunch of sock cooking custards anyway.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I assume Man Utd have a "code of conduct" for its players, as most professional setups these days do. In addition, I would think Premier League AND/OR FA have a CoC of their own that all clubs and players adhere to. I also assume this (the language issue) is covered under the CoC legalese and the intent is irrelevant.

If so, I cannot see any grounds for Cavani or the club to contest. They've done the right thing to move on and not make a big issue out of this. For better or worse, in the world that we live in these days, you have to follow the "when in Rome" philosophy.
Exactly. When in England, understand that the fact that the FA is racist.

antohan

Great post and fantastic to hear from someone actually living in Uruguay. The only thing I will say is that I remember seeing a report from back when this happened that said there are some black Uruguayans who feel uncomfortable with this word being said and want to try and root it out.
It wasn't a black Uruguayan, it was an African poster who had a relative working over here and not feeling comfortable with it, which is understandable I guess. We all carry our own cultural baggage wherever we go, for better or worse.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I appreciate the negrito word splashed over the UK media was a Liverpool PR campaign. That doesn't change the fact that the word is in the UK public awareness and our club has had direct exposure to the word. Therefore our briefing and induction to new players should cover this fact and advise that they avoid the word! It is basic stuff and a big error in our clubs induction for Cavani.

So fundamentally, the point remains the same.
No. He can use the word just fine. Stop being so close minded.

lsd

The Oracle
From everything I have read the word can be used to cause offence in South America as well as in a endearing way.

Therefore South Americans are aware of how it can be taken

lex talionis

There was no clearly discriminatory intent in this case. What the FA are apparently relying on is a theory that a person can belittle another person unintentionally by referring to that other's person race. In a case where there's clearly no intent to belittle, demean, discriminate or any in way impugn the humanity of the person to whom the footballer is addressing his views, the FA should have at worst explained that its rules are its rules and given Cavani the functional equivalent of a yellow card and not a three game ban plus a heavy fine.

In fact, I would go so far as to suggest that it's the FA, not Cavani, who needs counseling.

jem

Correct me if I'm wrong, but has there not been cases in which clubs have been charged for the conduct of their fans?

antohan

Statement from Cavani. He's clearly gutted.

Also, the English translation is a bit off. Incómodo more closely translates to "uncomfortable" rather than 'inconvenient'. But then again, isn't the nuance of language the reason this happened in the first place?
Translation is terrible, which is probably a good thing as you could make more hay out of this post than the original one.

Starting to agree the club should be vetting social media posts.

manutddjw

I wonder if the like 4 people out of hundreds who insisted a horrible racism was committed will then go into the match day thread and complain about Ole and our striking options.

GMoore23

We should have appealed, to stall the ban if anything in the hope he could play a part in the Liverpool game. His movement and physicality would have been a nightmare for their makeshift defence.

roseguy64

We saw it with that PSG game where the ref's crime was to point to a group of staff, all dressed similarly and differentiate by saying "the black guy".

I was startled by how many people thought that was something to get upset about as opposed to merely the easiest way to quickly point someone out.
Hmmm

TheReligion

Abusive
We should have appealed, to stall the ban if anything in the hope he could play a part in the Liverpool game. His movement and physicality would have been a nightmare for their makeshift defence.
He can.

He misses villa city and Watford.

We then play Burnley and Liverpool. He's back for Burnley.

roseguy64

Not at all surprising but an absolutely disgraceful decision.

If intent isn't taken into consideration in these matters then there is something really wrong. There was absolutely nothing racist about the tweet at all.

United have clearly accepted this tactically from knowing they have no chance of winning an appeal and selecting the games they're happy for him to miss.

I get the impression they expect the City game could be called off so he'd miss Villa, Watford and Burnley.
This happened with Bernardo Silva. Context and intent was used so he escaped the 6 match ban and only got the 1 match ban plus 50k fine. But the rules have changed and it's now a minimum 3 match ban,

Nori-

This whole situation has really pi**ed me off.

The players, the fans, the club and the F.A ALL know he said what he did in a non racist way. In the language he said it, its not considered racist, it's a term of endearment.

To then go ahead and ban him for 3 games and slap him with a fine shows the F.A have no real interest in rooting out genuine racism in the sport and are more interested in looking the part. They easily could have given him a warning, or simply asked him to attend a course on the subject in relation to UK culture and that would have been the end.

Instead they have cheapened the issue and turned situation into a circus. A lot of players in the past have complained that no genuine efforts are made to stamp out racism, just slogans and empty actions. For me, this is one of them. Shameful.

Manya.para.siempre

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN28B695

‘However, Fernandez also said Afro-Uruguayan communities had increasingly expressed their unease at the word and some considered it discriminatory.’
Not sure who this Fernandez guy is but a one line quote by him is hardly any evidence of reports.

This is from the academy of letters in Uruguay rejecting the racial connotation of the word.
https://www.elpais.com.uy/informaci...ni-grave-injusticia-evidencia-ignorancia.html

Leethal

Slightly off topic , but I disagree with the notion that just because it was said to a white person it can’t be racist. I remember at school there were these two white girls who used to greet each other saying ‘what up my n**ga’ and remember feeling extremely uncomfortable every time they did it even though I don’t believe they did it go be racist but it could easily come across that way.
You just called them white girls - IE: differentiated and identified the girls by their ethnicity and skin colour - identical as the referees did against PSG. Yet one's deemed racist, and one isn't. I'm all for stamping out racism where it is used to stereotype, unfairly categorise, or with the intent to cause or influence harm. However, I think the world's starting to become a little bit precious and overly sensitive when people are looking for ways to prove they aren't a racist, rather than stamping out the actual problem.

POF

This happened with Bernardo Silva. Context and intent was used so he escaped the 6 match ban and only got the 1 match ban plus 50k fine. But the rules have changed and it's now a minimum 3 match ban,
The Bernardo Silva charge was a joke too. There was clearly no ill intent there either.

In Cavani's case, context and intent should have been used to demonstrate that there was nothing racist about it at all. The outcome should have been the charges being dropped and an apology for tarnishing his good name.

Denis' cuff

Not much difference between Suarez aggravated, aggressive baiting of a high end rivalry opponent, within the confines of high pressure match between traditional rival vs a social, affectionate message to a friend/compatriot after the game, thanking him for his congrats

fecking idiots - as is anyone seeking to justify it

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not much difference between Suarez aggravated, aggressive baiting of a high end rivalry opponent, within the confines of high pressure match between traditional rival vs a social, affectionate message to a friend/compatriot after the game, thanking him for his congrats

fecking idiots - as is anyone seeking to justify it
Well Suarez got an 8 match ban in fairness. And a permanent stain on his character.

Since then they've tightened things up so a 3match ban was in effect the minimum Cavani could get.

dove

Well Suarez got an 8 match ban in fairness. And a permanent stain on his character.

Since then they've tightened things up so a 3match ban was in effect the minimum Cavani could get.
Ban length is not the biggest issue here, the biggest one is that the Cavani thing was deemed to be racist which clearly wasn't. FA are a bunch of idiots so I am not surprised by that but it's still worrying how can organization like that "fight" racism without knowing what the racism is.

Denis' cuff

minimum 3 match ban for saying an affectionate “thanks” to a mate. I know it’s a difficult concept when all the evidence is abundantly clear to see.

they really are fecking clueless and its very disturbing that the game is in the hands of clueless as well as previously proven corrupt officials who largely got away with it.

RyRoc

You just called them white girls - IE: differentiated and identified the girls by their ethnicity and skin colour - identical as the referees did against PSG. Yet one's deemed racist, and one isn't. I'm all for stamping out racism where it is used to stereotype, unfairly categorise, or with the intent to cause or influence harm. However, I think the world's starting to become a little bit precious and overly sensitive when people are looking for ways to prove they aren't a racist, rather than stamping out the actual problem
Not sure why you’ve brought that PSG incident into it as that’s a whole different topic, not once have I referenced that. I said that the notion that a white person can’t say a racial slur to another white person without it being offensive is wrong and I stand by that.
As for the rest of your point I always get a bit uncomfortable when people start using words like precious and overly sensitive when it comes to talking about race as for very obvious reasons it is indeed a sensitive topic and that kind of language just stops people having healthy debate over it.

Leethal

Not sure why you’ve brought that PSG incident into it as that’s a whole different topic, not once have I referenced that. I said that the notion that a white person can’t say a racial slur to another white person without it being offensive is wrong and I stand by that.
As for the rest of your point I always get a bit uncomfortable when people start using words like precious and overly sensitive when it comes to talking about race as for very obvious reasons it is indeed a sensitive topic and that kind of language just stops people having healthy debate over it.
It wasn't directed solely at you, I apologise that it seemed that way.

Saying that:

I don't think using a single distinguishable feature to identify people is racist. I'm sorry. I just don't think it is. If there was 4 brunettes and a blonde, I'd say the blonde. If there was 4 Asians and a Caucasian. I'd say the Caucasian.

This is not racism. This is identification. It isn't used to prejudge or slur; it's simply used to identify using a single, easily identifiable distinguishable feature. Yet we live in a world nowadays, where identifying someone as the "black guy" is deemed racist. (The PSG match official). This is what I think is precious and overly sensitive.

Let me again reiterate before people jump down my throat. . I genuinely abhor true racism. It's disgusting and has zero place in our modern society.

Revan

Assumptionman
Think the FA has no choice here.

I don't agree with the decision, but there needs to be a consistent standard set.

If Suarez is not allowed to call someone a Negrito, so shouldn't Cavani.

If this is allowed to slide, Suarez can sue the FA for wrongful suspension.
The situation are the same. If you ignore the following differences:

- Suarez called Evra ‘negro’, not ‘negrito’. One (in some circumstances) can be considered racist, the other does not.

- Suarez actually said ‘I don’t talk with you cause you are negro’ in a heated exchange, Cavani said ‘thanks negrito’ to a friend who congratulated him.

- Evra is black, Cavani’s friend is white, which makes the situation even more absurd.

Gungne

Uruguayan academics slam FA over Cavani ban

(Reuters) - The Uruguayan Academy of Letters on Friday denounced a three-game ban given to Manchester United’s Edinson Cavani on Friday, calling the sanction for alleged racism an example of English football’s lack of “cultural and linguistic knowledge.”

The 33-year-old Uruguayan used the word “negrito” in an Instagram post after the club’s victory over Southampton on Nov. 29, before taking it down and apologising. He said it was intended as an expression of affection to a friend.

On Thursday the FA said the comment was “improper and brought the game into disrepute”, fined Cavani 100,000 pounds and ordered him to complete “face-to-face education” as part of his punishment.

The academy, an association dedicated to protecting and promoting the Spanish language used in Uruguay, said it “energetically rejected the sanction.”

“The English Football Association has committed a serious injustice with the Uruguayan sportsman ... and has shown its ignorance and error in ruling on the use of language, and in particular Spanish, without noting all its complexities and contexts. In the context that it was written, the only value that can be given to negrito – and particularly because of the diminutive use – is affectionately.”

Words referring to skin colour, weight and other physical characteristics are often used among friends and relations in Latin America, especially in the diminutive, the academy said. In that context they are expressions of tenderness and are often used independently of the subject’s appearance.

United said Cavani chose not to contest the charge out of respect for the FA and the “fight against racism in football”.

“My heart is at peace because I know that I always expressed myself with affection according to my culture and way of life,” he wrote on Instagram.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
So ... if i buy a black pencil and I want to tell it to another guy in spanish i should tell him that i bought a pencil that is not white, nor red or brown or blue or green or yellow or maroon or magenta or orange or cream or ...

That’s how stupid the FA and the ones agreeing with it are

RedDevilzFox

No idea why people keep insisting its a term of endearment in South America. England is not South America. What happened to "when in rome".

Being homosexual maybe be normal in England but in some countries you get thrown off the buildings. Get it?

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
No idea why people keep insisting its a term of endearment in South America. England is not South America. What happened to "when in rome".

Being homosexual maybe be normal in England but in some countries you get thrown off the buildings. Get it?
I get it, i get it ... UK rules are as stupid as taliban’s ... ok

antohan

Go figure

Oh no, of course, it's not in the UK so it's OK. Romans and all that.

RedDevilzFox

I get it, i get it ... UK rules are as stupid as taliban’s ... ok
Let's not pretend other cultures do not have kinks of their own. I don't know south american culture that well, but if you dug deep enough you will find something that's considered offensive in SA but normal in England.
This is how it is around the world.