Cavani, Hit or Big Hit?

The Oracle

I'm like a broken record when it comes to Cavani, because I say the same thing every time...

Lose Cavani, and we lose our aerial threat in the box.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's really good.

He is 34 though. So we wouldn't want to find ourselves in a position where we're actually depending on him continuing to be this good (or better with more appearances) next season.

Judas

Open to offers
Don't give him 1 year, give him 2. Even if all he does in the second is one on one training with Mason, it'll be worth the wages.
Nah this is where we've gone wrong before. You give him one, and see where we and he is after that. He's not exactly on tiny wages either I bet.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Love seeing these threads a year after they are created.

The guy is the 3rd top scorer after the two GOATs over the past 11 years. He's born winner and goalscorer and is in my top 3 favourite players of all time for us.

I'm waiting for the winner from him in the Europa league :)

Dobba

Nah this is where we've gone wrong before. You give him one, and see where we and he is after that. He's not exactly on tiny wages either I bet.
Phil Jones is getting paid six figures a week to contribute as much to matches as I am. If we're chucking wages around like confetti, give Cavani a bundle.

littleman

I realize not much are business-minded here, but whether we can give Cavani 1 or 2 is really dependent on whether we have leverage.

I.e. Whether he wants 1 year with MUFC more than whatever other offer he gets.
I.e. Whether we're willing to have 0 years with Cavani and have Martial/whomever else lead the front as opposed to 2 years with Cavani, with an unknown performance degradation in year 2.

It's really a management issue that a DOF would usually solve. None of this can/should be seen in a vacuum

M Bison

Supports
York City
I realize not much are business-minded here, but whether we can give Cavani 1 or 2 is really dependent on whether we have leverage.

I.e. Whether we're willing to have 0 years with Cavani and have Martial/whomever else lead the front as opposed to 2 years with Cavani, with an unknown performance degradation in year 2.

It's really a management issue that a DOF would usually solve. None of this can/should be seen in a vacuum
Whats your definition of “business minded”?
:lol:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I just want to see this guy jumping into a packed OT crowd before he departs, that is all.

Luke1995

Why he was signed to just a one year deal ?

Dude should get a three year contract based on his current form

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Those of us who thought we might only be getting his Soccer Aid years have been made to look a bit foolish.

He looks great right now, when he’s on the pitch. The problem is that he’s essentially only been doing it part-time. We can’t afford to give him the salary of a key player, when he can only give us half the game time you might expect. We’d still need to sign another centre forward.

Amarsdd

predicted 15+ goals and at least one hattrick from Cavani this season when he was signed. Here's hoping he fulfills my prediction in the EL final!

Spoony

The People's President
Not bad. Not at all bAd.
Better than average! Seriously a 34 year old performing at such a high standard is mental. There's nowt better for fans than having a top striker banging them in.... Ruud, Rooney, RVP and now Cavani. Such a shame that he's come here later on in his career. Would to see him playing in front of a packed crowd chanting his name. He's such a warrior.

diarm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh my god this place makes me laugh.

Red_toad

Why he was signed to just a one year deal ?

Dude should get a three year contract based on his current form
He wasn't, it was a 1+1 subject to him wanting to stay and the club wanting him to stay. Ole wants him, the issue is the pull of home for him.

Gazza

This post is cute.

Lastwolf

I never really rated him, cause I don't watch ligue1 games and everytime I watched PSG in Europe, he didn't seem to play that great.

Have to say, glad to be wrong, wish we'd signed him a few years back.

The Firestarter

Better than average! Seriously a 34 year old performing at such a high standard is mental. There's nowt better for fans than having a top striker banging them in.... Ruud, Rooney, RVP and now Cavani. Such a shame that he's come here later on in his career. Would to see him playing in front of a packed crowd chanting his name. He's such a warrior.
Kinda mental that PSG didn't win the CL with him , Zlatan , and later Neymar.

dal

Kane, Cavani, Grealish, Rashford, Greenwood, Bruno.

That would be bloody tasty with Martial and Pogba gone.

Delano

By a number of accounts, Cavani was Woodward's dream signing for years. Maybe he should've been DoF after all!? :nervous:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea

Cheeky Ole.
I watched that live and thought Ole nailed that answer. I think Cavani has another year left at his level. He may not be able to start every game, but he is all business out there. He knows how to get in the defence to best receive the ball. His instinct in the 9 position is great.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I am going to be honest, until recently I have always been 50/50 about Cavani.

I know he scores a lot but, I felt, he also misses a lot. Even in Rome he should have scored twice before he did...

...but he did.

He gets in the position to miss and, frankly, his misses don't feel any worse than most strikers. Plus he has the tenacity not to let his head drop, and to keep looking for chances, even when it's not falling for him.

A month or so ago I was worried that his mind was at Boca and he was just going through the motions. Since then a switch has been flicked. You love to see it.

Could easily end up with 20 goals this season, which would be crazy considering how much football he's missed.

Vernon Philander

Ibra gave us more goals, more consistent starts, and at a then older age than Cavani is now. We're only talking 4 years ago mate

MADReaLJL

I am going to be honest, until recently I have always been 50/50 about Cavani.

I know he scores a lot but, I felt, he also misses a lot. Even in Rome he should have scored twice before he did...

...but he did.

He gets in the position to miss and, frankly, his misses don't feel any worse than most strikers. Plus he has the tenacity not to let his head drop, and to keep looking for chances, even when it's not falling for him.

A month or so ago I was worried that his mind was at Boca and he was just going through the motions. Since then a switch has been flicked. You love to see it.

Could easily end up with 20 goals this season, which would be crazy considering how much football he's missed.
It's his trait since his early years. Reminded me of Saha. Bloody good player who needs few chances to score. He'll score anyway since his movement create plenty of chances.

Caius

Hard to believe that Rooney is only a year older than Cavani :houllier: if only he took care of his body the same way as Cavani.

Great news that he's signed back up for a year! All around positive influence for the team both on and off the pitch.