Cavani, Hit or Big Hit?

Wing Attack Plan R

Stupidest post I have ever read. Cavani has scored 7 league goals playing 1097 minutes of PL football this year. That is 1 goal for every 155 minutes he has played and all of them are from open play. No set pieces and no penalties.
Now try to find a player in Premier league that has played more than 1000 minutes this year and scored more often per minute from open play than Cavani has.
Or wait! I can save you time by saying THERE IS NO ONE.
Calm the feck down, son. Get used to people having a different opinion from you. Cavani's cameo this season should be it for him. We need a striker to take the team forward, one for the future. Cavani scored today against Granada with a shinned hit - they all count even the shinned ones. I like Cavani but he's simply past his best, the end.

Ockham

Supports
Barcelona
Calm the feck down, son. Get used to people having a different opinion from you. Cavani's cameo this season should be it for him. We need a striker to take the team forward, one for the future. Cavani scored today against Granada with a shinned hit - they all count even the shinned ones. I like Cavani but he's simply past his best, the end.
I won't calm down. You can have a totally legit discussion if Cavani should be Uniteds no 9 next year or not.Cavani is probably the best number 9 in the world when it comes to movement in the box only matched by Suarez. He had probably been the best goal scorer in PL by a dozen goals if he had played in City and played all games. To be fair the service he has got in United has not been great. That being said, I can agree with you that there are better options than an ageing Cavani for a huge club as United.
But your argument for ditching Cavani was either deliberately or by ignorance misrepresenting Cavanis scoring abilities this season.

Scoring every 4 appearances is not great. Hitting 9 or 10 league goals for a full season of appearances would put him about middle of the pack. That’s not good enough for a team hoping to get back on top. We need to replace him in the summer.
Cavani has scored more goals per minute from open play than everyone else that has played more than 1000 minutes in PL this season and that includes Harry Kane even after Kanes two goals yesterday. It is totally unfair to say that Cavanis scoring record this season is not good enough or in the "middle of the pack".

Wing Attack Plan R

I won't calm down. You can have a totally legit discussion if Cavani should be Uniteds no 9 next year or not.Cavani is probably the best number 9 in the world when it comes to movement in the box only matched by Suarez. He had probably been the best goal scorer in PL by a dozen goals if he had played in City and played all games. To be fair the service he has got in United has not been great. That being said, I can agree with you that there are better options than an ageing Cavani for a huge club as United.
But your argument for ditching Cavani was either deliberately or by ignorance misrepresenting Cavanis scoring abilities this season.

Cavani has scored more goals per minute from open play than everyone else that has played more than 1000 minutes in PL this season and that includes Harry Kane even after Kanes two goals yesterday. It is totally unfair to say that Cavanis scoring record this season is not good enough or in the "middle of the pack".
That's nice, dear.

Ranchero

He has scored a few goals so far but I am putting him in the Miss category.
The season still has a way to go and he may score some crucial goals that will make our season successful but I have not seen a good consistent level of performance so far. There is the other aspect of him being a great pro and the benefit of the other players watching him and learning from that but I must say I was expecting a lot more.
Man. He is a massive hit. Best finisher at the club and a massive influence on the younger players around him. We should beg to have him for another year

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Hit, if only to show those at the club what we can look like when playing with a proper centre forward/striker rather than trying to shoe horn a wide forward into the position.
We need to look however at a younger striker who can do some of the best stuff he does (Andre Silva would be my choice).

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Not even a question... of course a hit. Besides the goals and work rate, he's helping the young players to improve, which is more than I can say for the likes of Pogba. I'd say Cavani is close to being as successful as Zlatan

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He is a fantastic footballer and still running, harassing and creating in the 92nd minute.

He should be extended immediately. His influence on the younger players is plain to see.

Not even a question... of course a hit. Besides the goals and work rate, he's helping the young players to improve, which is more than I can say for the likes of Pogba. I'd say Cavani is close to being as successful as Zlatan
Stop making up stories

el3mel

I was starting to get worried about him last 2 months but my man never disappoints. Back to his best. :drool:

TheMitz

His passion is there for all to see. Pray he stays for another year. I love the guy

Judas

Open to offers
Bloody hell, says who? :lol: are you on the training ground? Pogba by practically every account is one of the most popular players in the squad. Bore off with agenda driven nonsense.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The right moment and time to bring him in and it's obvious he'll find way to score. His passing also high level.

Denis Irwinning

Some player for a guy who's passed his best.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Imagine if we bought him instead of Lukaku. Could have even been cheaper considering he only had 1 year left before signing a new contract at the end of April 2017

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Bloody hell, says who? :lol: are you on the training ground? Pogba by practically every account is one of the most popular players in the squad. Bore off with agenda driven nonsense.
if you read my post, I said as far as I can see. My opinion - one, by the way, backed up by Roy Keane this afternoon! But of course, you are on the training field so know better. Oh and what agenda are you on about?

Judas

Open to offers
if you read my post, I said as far as I can see. My opinion - one, by the way, backed up by Roy Keane this afternoon! But of course, you are on the training field so know better. Oh and what agenda are you on about?
You don't even say "as far as I can see" in your post mate. You have no idea what Pogba does or doesn't bring to the young players.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
You don't even say "as far as I can see" in your post mate. You have no idea what Pogba does or doesn't bring to the young players.
I said from what I can tell! Oh and Roy Keane agrees. Do you think he knows nothing about football?

Number32

Who's available from PSG in the summer? Seems like we always hit the success by signing their ex-players.

Judas

Open to offers
I said from what I can tell! Oh and Roy Keane agrees. Do you think he knows nothing about football?
He's not in that dressing room either. Where am I saying Roy Keane knows nothing about football? Anyways this thread is about Cavani, you can keep your Pogba digs to yourself, he was great today.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Stop harping on about Roy Keane agrees. Whether Pogba is helping or not, neither you or Roy Keane has any clue.

pav1790

Imagine if we bought him instead of Lukaku. Could have even been cheaper considering he only had 1 year left before signing a new contract at the end of April 2017
Wouldn’t have come here I suspect. I say that not to slate us - I just think he was happy there.

The Original

He could know everything about football and be wrong on this point. Such judgments can only be made by those who interact with him from the inside, and without exception they've all said the opposite. Not that it matters, because this is the Cavani thread and ou can praise him without a pointless reference to another player.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
He could know everything about football and be wrong on this point. Such judgments can only be made by those who interact with him from the inside, and without exception they've all said the opposite. Not that it matters, because this is the Cavani thread and ou can praise him without a pointless reference to another player.
to be fair, some have blown my words out of context. What I meant is Cavani clearly is helping young players. It was supposed to be creditng him rather than an attack on Pogba but I still think Pogba, although probably liked (and none of us know one way or the other) isn't the teacher type. but that's just my opinion

Red_toad

Came on did feck all for a while then just elevated his game and looked like a dead cert to score at some point. He’s shows us exactly what Martial lacks, works hard, demands the ball and doesn’t give up.

Wing Attack Plan R

Some player for a guy who's passed his best.
Cavani has 8 in the league.
Lingard has scored 9. So have Barnes, Zaha, Mahrez, Sterling, and Aubameyang.

13 players have scored more goals than Cavani, 8 additional have scored the same number.
Of the forwards, Cavani is level with Jesus, Iheanacho, Maupay. Of the midfielders, he's level with Bowen, Pereira, Jota, Mane, and Maddison.

If that equals superstar to you, then so be it. Cavani is past his best even if he scores some dramatic goals for us. This is no discredit to Cavani; I like him, he's just not one for the future. We still need a young, hungry forward to take us to the next level (or get us back to where we belong). Cavani has been a good stopgap measure, an upgrade on the previous stopgap Ighalo.

Raveneye

Cavani has 8 in the league.
Lingard has scored 9. So have Barnes, Zaha, Mahrez, Sterling, and Aubameyang.

13 players have scored more goals than Cavani, 8 additional have scored the same number.
Of the forwards, Cavani is level with Jesus, Iheanacho, Maupay. Of the midfielders, he's level with Bowen, Pereira, Jota, Mane, and Maddison.

If that equals superstar to you, then so be it. Cavani is past his best even if he scores some dramatic goals for us. This is no discredit to Cavani; I like him, he's just not one for the future. We still need a young, hungry forward to take us to the next level (or get us back to where we belong). Cavani has been a good stopgap measure, an upgrade on the previous stopgap Ighalo.
Agreed that Cavani is a good stopgap. His age and deal length made that abundantly clear. It's unfair to compare Cavani to Lingard though.

Lingard thrives in a central role for a counter-attacking set up when given loads of space in front of him. That's just never something he would get consistently at a big club.

Cavani 's issue is that his age has turned into injury issues. When he's on the pitch he's as capable as any star in the team of putting in a worldie if a performance. It's just that he is by necessity of his age a squad player.

ForeverRed1

Love him, his attitude and his hair!

massive hit, hope we keep him another year, such a top guy to have around the club.