Cavani, Hit or Big Hit?

What are you on about? I made a point that we probably paid him what we would have signed him for. That was it.
You wouldn't have gotten him under contract for 4m euros, I mean Inter Milan paid half that for Ashley fecking Young. And if PSG were bizarrely that generous to dump a top goalscorer out of their squad for 4m euros (much needed money), then of course you'd be paying him a 4m euro signing on fee on top of that. You do realise that even players signing for cash get signing on fees right?

But regardless, what was your point when asked "he was free, what more do you expect?" and you refuted that as though he somehow wasn't free? Are you now saying you posted it for no reason other than to say he wasn't free, when clearly he fecking was?

Last edited:

GueRed

I'd say in between.

Would've been a hit if he was available for most games.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Hes exceeded my expectations.. hes scored important goals and gave us depth. We play well with him on the field.. he couldve done better but i am satisfied

Foxbatt

if we put in crosses like that Cavani is going to score a lot more goals. Just try to put in the right area and he does the rest. Far too long we have been trying to play as if it was Martial at CF. Cavani needs the ball in those areas and not to his feet outside the box.

dave1956

His movement in and around the box is very good, he brings a true centre forward and goal scorers experiance to the training ground. I have noticed that on more than once during a match he can been see speaking to Greenwood. He most certainly was worth the punt, i suspect the main problem is that he is thinking faster than the supporting players, they do not see the movement, Foxbat, I believe has hit the nail on the head with his observations on how to get the best out of Cavani.

RUCK4444

Watch him for that diving header. Watch his body language, how he is watching and on his toes waiting for that possible cross. You can't teach a player like Martial that. He doesn't switch off in the box, every movement has purpose.

This is the instinct I hope Greenwood has and hopefully becomes more apparent as he develops. Edinson is a breath of fresh air in this respect, I hope our forwards are watching and learning.

dogwithabone

His passion is infectious, just watching him leave the field at the end and seeing what that victory meant to him.

Trequarista10

I absolutely love it knowing we've got a proper centre forward who is a threat in the box and who wants to get on the end of crosses. We're so much more dangerous with him in the side.

Given that Haaland is IMO unrealistic, and we have a great prospect in Greenwood, I'd be happy if we keep Cavani for another season with a view to Greenwood becoming first choice number 9. Spend the money on a proper right winger instead.

dave1956

His movemnt around the box reminds me of 2 great goal poachers, 1. Denis Law and 2 Jimmy Greaves. Both these players actually moved into positions where they expected the ball to arrive. When this movement comes off it leaves defenders flat footed they cannot react in time to prevent the movement, also the attacking player already has adopted the right body position to meet the ball with the usual results that the ball ends up in the net. On another note he does seem to have developed a rapport with Greenwood, whereby Greenwood is putting in balls areas where he knows Cavani will be.

Red00012

Put it this way, if he goes at the end of the season we're back to Martial up front. Let's have a whip round for him?
It isn’t about the money , I gathered from the interview they want him to stay but I don’t think his family are in the UK with him.

CM

For what he is I think Cavani has been a hit.

Put it this way if he leaves in the summer we need another striker. Outside of Haaland or Kane (who I don't think we will put up the finances for), there are very few strikers who can offer what Cavani does. Work rate, great movement in the box, aerial threat and he is clearly well thought of by the manager in terms of professionalism and influence off the pitch.

I think the club will try to convince him to stay for another season but if he were to leave it would be a bit of a blow. I like Martial and Greenwood but there is still uncertainty over whether they can handle the burden of being United's main striker between them. Even if Cavani only starts 15-20 games, he is a great option to have off the bench and in the squad.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This is not a serious question, really? Came on a free and the first time in ages we have a proper striker. Sure, he's 34 and not available too much, but would anyone here prefer to have Ighalo? Or spunk 15-20m on Josh King?

He's been crucial to us. fecking don.

The Irish Connection

One thing is for sure, his movement creates chances, and that’s Haaland’s best attribute along with finishing...

LDUred

I wouldn't go overboard. I am a massive Cavani fan but it hasn't always been great for him this season. By his standards and United's, he hasn't had an amazing season and he probably should be in double figures at this stage (today he had a goal wrongfully chalked off, which as a striker he would have been absolutely seething about).

That being said, we've needed him around and he's added something that we've been missing more often than not. We generally look a better side going forward when he's playing and he also adds something to the side with his experience and sheer physical presence. He makes the kind of intelligent runs that our younger strikers do not, and this creates opportunities not only for him but for others.

The incident with the Twitter post did seem to derail his season, as have niggling injuries that have kept him out. I would give him a 7/10 for his contribution so far and a one year contract extension. However, it's a concern that he keeps picking up knocks as you'd obviously want a back up striker to be more or less ever-present.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The problem Cavanis having is Bruno and Rashford arnt playing the best currently, their passing and decision making on when to pass especially Rashford has been poor lately, they both produce moments of brilliance, but all round their games have been below par. Cavanis starved of good chances at the minute.

Our wide players tend to dribble shoot a lot rather than create.
Was thinking exactly that when Rashford ran into traffic (again) today. Enter Greenwood and boom, suddenly everything was so much easier.

Pogba was on fire too. Loved it how he shat on Jose playing a roaming and tactically indisciplined role :lol:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It isn’t about the money , I gathered from the interview they want him to stay but I don’t think his family are in the UK with him.
I wonder if that's because they're not allowed to come over post Brexit or just because they don't want to.

I wonder if that's because they're not allowed to come over post Brexit or just because they don't want to.
Won’t have anything to do with Brexit as he has a valid permit to be in the UK. More likely is corona-restrictions, imagine moving to a new country during these times, good luck making friends or learning/enjoying the culture.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I’ve noticed a correlation between hit and miss posts and whether he scored last game or not

Loon

:lol:
He's likely to get a run until the end of the season now as long as he stays injury free; so we might get to see what he can bring at full fitness. After giving Greenwood a bit of schooling yesterday, and the passion he showed, I'd love him to stick around another year.

TwoSheds

Won’t have anything to do with Brexit as he has a valid permit to be in the UK. More likely is corona-restrictions, imagine moving to a new country during these times, good luck making friends or learning/enjoying the culture.
Yeah he has a valid visa...do they?

Yeah he has a valid visa...do they?
Erm, obviously. You don't give a father a visa and ban his kids and partner, that's not how visas work. It's a fairly simple process when kids are involved*.

The requirements are usually:

The rules are different for each type of partner but you’ll always have to show you have enough money to support them and prove your relationship is genuine
I think having a kid together proves the genuineness of the relationship and I think he has enough money to support the family. Here's the full requirements:

You need to be earning a certain amount, or have enough savings, in order to bring your partner to the UK to live. This is called ‘meeting the financial requirement’.

You don’t need to meet the financial requirement if you have refugee status or humanitarian protection.

If you do need to meet the financial requirement, you’ll need to prove that you earn a minimum annual income (before tax). The amount depends on who you're applying for.

If you’re just bringing your partner and no children, you’ll need an income of at least £18,600 per year before tax.

If your partner is bringing children with them, you’ll need to earn an extra £3,800 for the first child, and an extra £2,400 for each child after that. You don't have to pay the extra charge if you’re bringing children who are British or children who have indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

If you’re bringing children and your partner is already in the UK, you’ll still need to show your income is £18,600 plus the extra amounts for your children.

He earns more more in 2 days than the basic annual requirement.

Last edited:

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
A huge hit. He came as a retiring legend, scored crucial goals that has lead to critical points for us and he's been an absolute role model for our attackers, showing them exactly the thing they are missing - how to be a great goalscorer, not just a scorer of great goals ( (C) Ole) - how to pick positions, poach, and always be ready for a clinical finish. His winning mentality has been infections, second to none

What else can anybody possibly have hoped from Cavani, in a single season? We should be extremely grateful to him. Our progress this season is largely thanks to him (and Bruno, and Luke)

What else can anybody possibly have hoped from Cavani, in a single season? We should be extremely grateful to him. Our progress this season is largely thanks to him (and Bruno, and Luke)
The real shame for me has been the ban, he was hitting his stride then and it really seemed to put the brakes on his season. I desperately hope he stays for a year with the fans as I'm certain he'll be even better next season as he settles and the team get more used to doing exactly what Mason did yesterday.
Would enable us to spend on Sancho and rotate Mason more in the CF position.

I'd sell Tony.

TwoSheds

Erm, obviously. You don't give a father a visa and ban his kids and partner, that's not how visas work. It's a fairly simple process when kids are involved*.

The requirements are usually:

I think having a kid together proves the genuineness of the relationship and I think he has enough money to support the family. Here's the full requirements:

You need to be earning a certain amount, or have enough savings, in order to bring your partner to the UK to live. This is called ‘meeting the financial requirement’.

You don’t need to meet the financial requirement if you have refugee status or humanitarian protection.

If you do need to meet the financial requirement, you’ll need to prove that you earn a minimum annual income (before tax). The amount depends on who you're applying for.

If you’re just bringing your partner and no children, you’ll need an income of at least £18,600 per year before tax.

If your partner is bringing children with them, you’ll need to earn an extra £3,800 for the first child, and an extra £2,400 for each child after that. You don't have to pay the extra charge if you’re bringing children who are British or children who have indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

If you’re bringing children and your partner is already in the UK, you’ll still need to show your income is £18,600 plus the extra amounts for your children.

He earns more more in 2 days than the basic annual requirement.
That's not the full requirements I don't think. You also have to have a civil partnership or marriage I believe. Trust me, the Home Office are cnuts, they don't make this shit easy. A lot easier if you're a millionaire of course though yes.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He has scored 7 goals and 2 assists in league (1091 mins), that's a very good record and he has scored some important goals too.

Shame we signed him so late in his career.

In between.

We brought him in to score us goals and he's been a miss in that respect.
We expected good movement and he's delivered as expected.
We didn't expect him to work so hard so he's been a hit there.

One regret is that we hoped he would teach our strikers, but all its done is show us none of our strikers will ever be good enough in that position. It's a wasted effort. If we had a proper number 9 coming through the ranks he would learn so much from him.

Overall, for a free it's been a good move but I wouldn't go signing him up for anything longer than a year at a time.

GBBQ

You wouldn't have gotten him under contract for 4m euros, I mean Inter Milan paid half that for Ashley fecking Young. And if PSG were bizarrely that generous to dump a top goalscorer out of their squad for 4m euros (much needed money), then of course you'd be paying him a 4m euro signing on fee on top of that. You do realise that even players signing for cash get signing on fees right?

But regardless, what was your point when asked "he was free, what more do you expect?" and you refuted that as though he somehow wasn't free? Are you now saying you posted it for no reason other than to say he wasn't free, when clearly he fecking was?
Fanboys are so weird.

My statement was ' I’d say any money we saved on a transfer fee was offset by a signing bonus and the wages he’s on.' "I'd say" being the key phrase here. It wasn't stated as fact but my view that his agent would negotiate him a better signing bonus and wages because of no transfer fee. As a 33 year old striker looking to move in a pandemic i don't think his fee would have been all that.

And of course he wasn't free if you have to pay a big signing bonus. Or does that not count as money?

Now to the other point you have confidently claimed the signing bonus was £4 mil and wages of less than £200K, do you have the contract to back that up? I've seen many different figures some as high as £9 million and wages in excess of 200K per week (and that doesn't include play & goal related bonuses).

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Since we now know that the team's had a meeting and instructed them on how to best utilize Cavani's box movement, there's some likelyhood that the backroom staff might feel we could get a lot more out of Cavani, and primarily that Cavanis occasional lack of production is more down to the team than Cavani himself. He needs service if he's going to be good.

But for me he's a hit until proven otherwise.

El Zoido

Definite hit for me, shame he’s had a few injuries but he’s brought us something we didn’t have. Great professional to have around the club, he seems to be mentoring Greenwood really well too. He offers a lot more than purely what we see on the pitch.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
100% hit

Got to remember he only joined in October, hadn't played football for months, then got injured, then got banned. All that being said he's still managed to be top for us
I stand by what I said in Feb, I've loved having him here. I'd be very surprised if he stayed beyond this season though (I think his mind is made up the club just won't announce it yet) which will be really damaging for next season

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
The absolutely abysmal showing by Martial this season has probably meant we've been requiring more of Cavani than initially expected.

He's been terrific in patches in what was always going to be a difficult season to bed in, and he's clearly having a huge impact on Greenwood's development. Will be considered a successful free signing whether he stays or goes, and rightly so.

Maticmaker

Was clearly bang up for it today, and it showed with the best performance he's put in for us.
I agree, after West Ham match his body language as he walked off suggested he might have played his last game in a United shirt, but last night all his attributes were on display including his reserves of energy; at times galloping about like a teenager.
Those subtle moves in and around the box were fantastic, but Cavani's main claim to fame has to be his 'assist' for Fred's goal, not many players can boast that accomplishment on their CV :lol:

Fanboys are so weird.
And grown adults using terms like "fanboys" aren't at all weird.

My statement was ' I’d say any money we saved on a transfer fee was offset by a signing bonus and the wages he’s on.' "I'd say" being the key phrase here. It wasn't stated as fact but my view that his agent would negotiate him a better signing bonus and wages because of no transfer fee. As a 33 year old striker looking to move in a pandemic i don't think his fee would have been all that.

And of course he wasn't free if you have to pay a big signing bonus. Or does that not count as money?
Well TransferMarkt had his transfer value at closer to 20m, and the "most valuable free agent on the market". PSG were demanding almost 30m for him 6 months earlier from Atletico, so you might wanna reconsider how much they'd have accepted for him under contract.

https://psgtalk.com/2020/01/the-pri...t-pay-if-they-want-to-sign-cavani-in-january/
https://www.marca.com/en/football/spanish-football/2020/01/15/5e1f56c8e2704efa6b8b462a.html
https://en.as.com/en/2020/01/30/football/1580396771_623890.html

Once again, every signing, be it Paul Pogba or Bruno Fernandes gets a massive signing on fee, agents fees and then massive wages on top. Hell Paul Pogba gets a fecking 3.4m pounds loyalty fee annually. Now 4m EUROS (widely reported, for example here, here) 3.8m pounds, and less than 200k /week aren't huge sum a la Zlatan by any stretch, so yes, Cavani was "free" in the footballing sense of a free transfer. Even if we were to say he gets 15m a year all in, well we're talking peanuts for United who paid 105m euros for Paul Pogba and then pay him 3.4m loyalty + 16m wages + bonuses /year, all players at United get a shit tonne of money.

So if your only point there was that footballers are never actually "free", erm, no shit, great insight.

Last edited:

Nakhon Phanom

Blimey, I can't believe some of the posts on here.
The guy was free not a 50m signing.
Every player gets a signing on fee plus there is the usual agents fee to pay wether it's on a free or a big money signing.
The key word here is "free".
For me he has been an excellent acquisition both on and off the pitch and I hope he stays for another season.
A shame he has had one or two injuries but not unusual for a 34 year old striker.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Hit, for sure. But didn't have too high expectations when he joined. Experience, work rate and a few goals. Loved his celebration for the 1-1

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
He has been both a hit and a miss.

A miss due to his injury record. But when he is fully fit he is class.

I wont be too upset if he decides to move on. He has had a good season but we need to be looking more long term for that position