Cavani, Hit or Big Hit?

Kaos

I had zero expectations for him here, and considered his signing nothing more than a desperate marketing move by Woodward to try and salvage the Sancho shiteshow. So based on those very low standards he's been a hit for me. Scored some pretty crucial goals for us and is easily our most effective number 9 - though that itself is perhaps a damning indication of the state our attack more than anything.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
He lifted the curse from the number 7 shirt by being good.
Just for that he’s a fecking legend.

GBBQ

And grown adults using terms like "fanboys" aren't at all weird.

Well TransferMarkt had his transfer value at closer to 20m, and the "most valuable free agent on the market". PSG were demanding almost 30m for him 6 months earlier from Atletico, so you might wanna reconsider how much they'd have accepted for him under contract.

https://psgtalk.com/2020/01/the-pri...t-pay-if-they-want-to-sign-cavani-in-january/
https://www.marca.com/en/football/spanish-football/2020/01/15/5e1f56c8e2704efa6b8b462a.html
https://en.as.com/en/2020/01/30/football/1580396771_623890.html

Once again, every signing, be it Paul Pogba or Bruno Fernandes gets a massive signing on fee, agents fees and then massive wages on top. Hell Paul Pogba gets a fecking 3.4m pounds loyalty fee annually. Now 4m EUROS (widely reported, for example here, here) 3.8m pounds, and less than 200k /week aren't huge sum a la Zlatan by any stretch, so yes, Cavani was "free" in the footballing sense of a free transfer. Even if we were to say he gets 15m a year all in, well we're talking peanuts for United who paid 105m euros for Paul Pogba and then pay him 3.4m loyalty + 16m wages + bonuses /year, all players at United get a shit tonne of money.

So if your only point there was that footballers are never actually "free", erm, no shit, great insight.
Ok so this is a long winded way of saying no you don't have visibility of the contract so you're just making assumptions. Thanks, I appreciate the effort.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Been a medium to good success solely on his performances. He hasn't played enough unfortunately. I suspect his off the field impact has been quite sizeable though, and while his signing as a player obviously wasn't free that part of his character definitely was because there would be nothing stopping him phoning it in here. He has nothing to prove, but he seems like the kind of guy who'd stay out on the training pitch with Mason or Marcus or even fecking Hugill if they asked him to.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Hit. Shame he has missed some games through injury as he seems to need a few to get sharp when he comes back which hurts us. When he looks sharp he is very dangerous.

Lee565

I would have liked to have seen mata feature more this season even as a sub when cavani has been playing as he is type of creative player that could have fed him good chances more regularly.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
The real shame for me has been the ban, he was hitting his stride then and it really seemed to put the brakes on his season. I desperately hope he stays for a year with the fans as I'm certain he'll be even better next season as he settles and the team get more used to doing exactly what Mason did yesterday.
Would enable us to spend on Sancho and rotate Mason more in the CF position.

I'd sell Tony.
I mostly agree. I think we still need a world-class CF, so ideally I would also sell Tony, buy a star CF and keep Cavani for depth + what he brings to the club in winning mentality. While Mason can play in the middle, I am still not convinced that it is his best position. It may be better Mason to stay on the right wing, not buy Sancho and spend that money on CF, instead.

If we are dreaming, adding Haaland, selling Tony and keeping Cavani would be a huge step towards titles, in my opinion. But I don't for a second think Haaland would join us.

In reality, chances of us signing a world-class CF are very slim, and everybody says Cavani is leaving in the summer. In the best case, we maybe buy Kane, who I don't rate high anymore. It's a bit depressing considering that Cavani-style, younger CF is single most needed player for us.

Green_Red

Hit. Shame he has missed some games through injury as he seems to need a few to get sharp when he comes back which hurts us. When he looks sharp he is very dangerous.
There's no questioning his ability. He's the best centre forward we've had since Rooney at his peak. Wish he was 5 or 6 years younger. Good to see how he coaches players on the pitch too. We'd be making a mistake if we let him leave this group. We cant guarantee he will be fit enough to play every game but his experience is invaluable, and he has a winning mentality which are positive influences for our young squad to have in there, especially the forwards.

Raveneye

There's no questioning his ability. He's the best centre forward we've had since Rooney at his peak. Wish he was 5 or 6 years younger. Good to see how he coaches players on the pitch too. We'd be making a mistake if we let him leave this group. We cant guarantee he will be fit enough to play every game but his experience is invaluable, and he has a winning mentality which are positive influences for our young squad to have in there, especially the forwards.
After Greenwood took a touch too many on the ball yesterday resulting in a move breaking down, Cavani could be seen coaching him. A few minutes later Greenwood delivers that amazing one-touch cross for the second goal.

0le

Zlatan was pretty good to be fair.

Ibi Dreams

I've loved watching the way he plays when he's on it, so a hit for me. Hasn't always looked sharp and has missed games, but he's scored some beauties and at times been a joy to watch. Sometimes I think we should step back a bit from discussions about stats, age, injuries and future and just enjoy what's in front of us when it happens. He was fantastic last night and not for the first time, a proper striker

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Obviously a hit, he came on a free and has had big moments with a very decent goal/90 minutes ratio. The problem has been fitness. Can understand a big part of Cavani's struggles being covid related and cultural and maybe wanting to leave in the summer, but he's also struggled with fitness and generally takes a couple of games to get going again after injury. Would definitely keep him next season if he wants to though. Just helps out with the CF position for another year so we can focus on RW and rotate Greenwood with Cavani up top more.

That's not the full requirements I don't think. You also have to have a civil partnership or marriage I believe. Trust me, the Home Office are cnuts, they don't make this shit easy. A lot easier if you're a millionaire of course though yes.
They are the full requirements from the UK home office website, and no, no top Premier League footballer has ever had to move to England and leave his kids and missus in another country because they couldn't get a visa, you're chatting utter bollocks.

• husband, wife, civil partner, proposed civil partner or fiancé(e)
  • partner who you’ve lived with for at least 2 years

It's very easy for footballers to get visas for family, because the main requirement is finance based. Will they be a "burden on the state" is the main question here, and obviously the answer is a resounding no.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
They are the full requirements from the UK home office website, and no, no top Premier League footballer has ever had to move to England and leave his kids and missus in another country because they couldn't get a visa, you're chatting utter bollocks.

• husband, wife, civil partner, proposed civil partner or fiancé(e)
  • partner who you’ve lived with for at least 2 years

It's very easy for footballers to get visas for family, because the main requirement is finance based. Will they be a "burden on the state" is the main question here, and obviously the answer is a resounding no.
So a fiancé counts as well then but how do you prove you're engaged? It's the documentation that's a pain in the hole. But yes I'm sure you're right, footballers have people to sort that shit out for them. Not sure you need to be rude here.

So a fiancé counts as well then but how do you prove you're engaged?
They have a kid who’s about to turn 2, even if his missus got pregnant on the first night they met, they have biological proof that they’ve been together for longer than the 2 year mark required, oh and he’s famous as feck, it’s a bit easier then.

Have you never watched Wanted Down Under? Even a plumber can his missus a partner visa no problem, and that in one of the hardest countries for green cards.
As I say, it’s a non issue, and certainly never will be for a millionaire to get his/her partner and kids a visa.
Failing that, you know you can actually buy citizenship/residency?

• Golden Visas: Similar to CIP, but not necessarily guaranteeing citizenship, golden visas are granted to rich people who can afford to invest in government-run programs or properties, or make large investments or donations in the $250,000 and up range. This usually grants people and their families resident status. Some of these countries include Spain, Canada, Portugal, Greece, New Zealand, the U.K., and others.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
They have a kid who’s about to turn 2, even if his missus got pregnant on the first night they met, they have biological proof that they’ve been together for longer than the 2 year mark required, oh and he’s famous as feck, it’s a bit easier then.

Have you never watched Wanted Down Under? Even a plumber can his missus a partner visa no problem, and that in one of the hardest countries for green cards.
As I say, it’s a non issue, and certainly never will be for a millionaire to get his/her partner and kids a visa.
Failing that, you know you can actually buy citizenship/residency?
Good primary source there, Wanted Down Under :lol:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Injuries have kept Cavani from having a huge impact on the field. Only thing is, with his previous injury record it wasn't really a surprise. But when he's been available, for the most part, he's been really good. But what may prove to be the best part of Cavani's time here is the impact he has on Greenwood. Apparently he's really taken to him in a mentor type role. And the mere fact that Greenwood put in that cross to space on his first touch that Cavani headed in the other day shows that Greenwood's reading of the game is improving. In the past he would have taken that ball and tried to dribble. In the end, Cavani's time here could prove to be invaluable...

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
About 10 games to the end of the season. He has still space to prove himself more or other way around.

Quite excited to see what he can conjure up on top of this.

thepolice123

Shocking that there are people who thinks he is a miss.

If Larsson was a hit, how is he not one as well?

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
How is this question being asked?
A definite hit. I never rated him until I saw him play for us. He's been very good. Pity he wasn't 5 years younger.
One of his main contributions has been to show us how badly we need a centre forward & how much better this team could be with one.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He was a meme at PSG for his missed in the CL but his movement is second to none. Incredible striker.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Big hit for me. He was never gonna play week in week out, but with so few decent strikers available in world football these, he's been worth every penny of the 10 million signing on fee as a stop-gap while we figure out what to do about the position.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Put it this way. We are probably going to have to spend big to replace him if he decides to leave. I think he’ll stay if he’s positively affecting matches and he’s a starter at the top level. We are his last chance at this level but he looks like he will be able to continue for another few years yet whatever he decides.

Foxbatt

His movement for the chalked off goal was amazing. If we get Pogba in the mood and Cavani up front, we can beat any team. That also makes it easier for Bruno.
Just put it there and he will score. I hope he gets rested against Granada.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He has had his ups and downs. I was worried that he was going to be more Falcao than Zlatan, but he has proved to be a shrewd signing.

mikel

Hit all day long. He's the best striker on the squad.

sp_107

What is the Spanish word Cavani shouts after scoring every time ? something sounds like bappo

Stormrage101MUFC

I would have liked to have seen mata feature more this season even as a sub when cavani has been playing as he is type of creative player that could have fed him good chances more regularly.
I forgot we even have Mata, jeez when was the last time he even played? I know it was this season but it feels like a lifetime ago!

Ockham

Supports
Barcelona
Cavani is like when you blow a tire and put the miniature replacement donut on to get you safely to a garage. He was never more than a stopgap measure.

He’s done at the top. He still has great instincts but his technique has been found wanting because he’s not 23 anymore.

Scoring every 4 appearances is not great. Hitting 9 or 10 league goals for a full season of appearances would put him about middle of the pack. That’s not good enough for a team hoping to get back on top. We need to replace him in the summer.
Stupidest post I have ever read. Cavani has scored 7 league goals playing 1097 minutes of PL football this year. That is 1 goal for every 155 minutes he has played and all of them are from open play. No set pieces and no penalties.
Now try to find a player in Premier league that has played more than 1000 minutes this year and scored more often per minute from open play than Cavani has.
Or wait! I can save you time by saying THERE IS NO ONE.