Cavani, Hit or Big Hit?

Bondi77

He has scored a few goals so far but I am putting him in the Miss category.
The season still has a way to go and he may score some crucial goals that will make our season successful but I have not seen a good consistent level of performance so far. There is the other aspect of him being a great pro and the benefit of the other players watching him and learning from that but I must say I was expecting a lot more.

Tarrou

definitely a hit for me

was not expecting him to pull up trees at his age coming to a new league

Threesus

Well, he has exceeded my expectations, I must say. I was expecting falcao 2.0, and he has been nothing like him.

I don’t know how to feel about him having become our starting striker. Although that says more about Tony, I suppose. He should have been an option off the bench, yet we are asking him to lead our line from the off. If we sell Tony this summer, bring in another striker and extend Cavani’s contract by another year. His experience might be valuable.

youngrell

Certainly a hit for me.

He’s been quiet in a few games but pretty much all of those have been while Rashford and Martial have been awful in the same game and failed to deliver any kind of service from out wide.

Donut

He’s been decent, similar level to when Larsson came for a few months.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
How can anyone put him in a miss category?

he’s done what’s asked of him and scored us some vital goals in close games Despite being a bit part player.

rollingstoned1

He has been better than I thought he would be, not to mention he must be a good influence on the likes of Martial, Rashford and Greenwood for sure. i hope they're learning a thing or 2 from him.

mav_9me

While some of it depends on your expectations, for me he is a hit.

At the very least he has shown us what a proper striker can do.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I knew he was a good striker that missed sitters at times so he has done as I expected.

OmarUnited4ever

The expectations we had on the day Cavani arrived were that Martial will lead the line as our no.9, continue his goalscoring form previous season, while Cavani provides cover in easy cup ties/ league games or come off the bench.

We didn't expect Cavani to become our starting no.9, so he's done alright for the role we expected him to play, so he is been definitely a HIT.

I also believe he can give us another year playing the same role (backup experienced striker), assuming Martial turns it around or we bring a new striker (Halaand? or Kane? -- one can only dream)

Dr Foo

Hit. A glaring indictment that someone meant to be our backup striker has usurped Martial easily. More than met our expectations, but a team meant to be challenging for top trophies should only be relying on him as a backup. Love his attitude though, and invaluable role model for our young forwards

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Bigger hit than Martial's ever been.
Literally the first reply for someone to try and make the thread about one of the Caf's current whipping boys.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
The season still has a way to go and he may score some crucial goals that will make our season successful but I have not seen a good consistent level of performance so far. There is the other aspect of him being a great pro and the benefit of the other players watching him and learning from that but I must say I was expecting a lot more.
You're the first person I've come across who hasn't been really pleased with Cavani. I think he's been fabulous tbh, and I'm gutted we didn't sign him many years sooner.

Tallis

If we hadn’t signed him, our season would have been a lot more screwed than it already is.

That easily makes him a hit for me

Wing Attack Plan R

I think Cavani is like a good patch on a tire that had a puncture: it’s holding up better than expected and we can roll along closer to our destination.

That said, we needed new tires a long time ago, and we’re not going to keep retreading this set.

Cast5

Hit, he’s done exactly what an experienced free transfer is supposed to do.

GazTheLegend

How could he be seen as anything other than a hit

But for 1cm he would have fired us into the next round of the champions League, and he had us in title winning form for a while. He's been great.

Only reason this thread exists is because of a nonsense FA ban that hit just as Cavani was REALLY hitting his stride.

Idxomer

Neither here nor there yet, the end of the season will determine that.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Neither here nor there yet, the end of the season will determine that.
Pretty much same for me.

He’s quite clearly got major quality in his movement and he’s an absolute classic no.9, but at the end of the day, he’s 34 years old with 7 goals in all competitions. Wouldn’t say he’s been a hit, but definitely wouldn’t say he’s been a miss yet.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I think Cavani is like a good patch on a tire that had a puncture: it’s holding up better than expected and we can roll along closer to our destination.

That said, we needed new tires a long time ago, and we’re not going to keep retreading this set.
Agree with this

davidmichael

It’s a weird one as Cavani hasn’t banged in a load of goals which is what he was brought in for BUT what he has done is show us just how much we need a proper striker as even past his best he’s miles ahead of Martial whilst also being a great teacher for Greenwood too.

Some of the goals that Cavani has scored I’ve sat and thought to myself “there’s no way anyone else in our squad scores that goal” and it comes down to positioning, desire and being a natural in the position which just shows what we’ve been missing for a long time and I’m including Lukaku when I say that as his game was piss poor unlike Cavani.

Deery

Dreary
He’s been great for what he’s supposed to be and I really like his work rate and forward play, but I don’t want us to extend his contract either which I think is what is probably going to happen rather we got a younger hungrier striker of the same elk that can score many goals.

Nico87

A big hit considering his age and the fact he was a free transfe. A lot of his quality work is hugely understated, his clever movement creates spaces that other players are not running into.

Revan

Assumptionman
He’s been decent, similar level to when Larsson came for a few months.
He already has 7 goals (6 in the league), Larsson scored only 3 (one in the league). Cavani single-handed won a couple of matches for us, Larsson never did so.

FattyFooty

He's actually a striker. And if you are surrounded by Rashford, Martial and Greenwood you will be a little inconsistent.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I love him. He has exactly the right mentality and shows us what a real centre forward can bring to our team.

I struggle to figure out how anyone can watch him play for us and think he's been a "miss". Unless you mean he's been missing from our line-up too often.

tomaldinho1

Too early to say. I do think he gets too much praise in here and if the season ended tomorrow he’d definitely be a miss for me.
However there are many games left and so time for anything to happen.

90 + 5min

Curious about what you expected from him?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
As a backup striker he’s been fine. As a starting striker he’s done nowhere near enough....although none of our other strikers have either which is just weird.

He’s been praised to the hilts by pundits, which is bizarre, but always the case with these types of players.

For me his movement in the box is good but he isn’t scoring goals. Other than that we are a better team when he isn’t playing because when he plays our other forwards have to play like wingers and we lose a lot of dynamism.

I couldn’t say he’s been a missive hit or miss....just meh overall.

dal

He’d be seen as a bigger hit if Martial wasn’t so bad. He’s doing exactly what we brought him for which is get the odd goal and be a bit part player and show commitment.

The problem is Martials so bad we need Cavani to start most games.

I believe this is a good way to manage a squad but we just need a proper number 9 for martial.