Cavani, Hit or Big Hit?

rooney2009

He has been ok
Runs around too much for me instead of staying in the box,also not very good at holding up the ball so we do not have as much possession when he plays
I wonder what he will be like if he plays in a front 2
Hopefully Martial can find his form again or maybe the future is Greenwood

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Neither a hit or miss.

tomaldinho1

Best example how fee IS important in judging players. If he was played 50,60mil then he would be a miss. But for free player he was excellent transfer. Our best buy this year.
He’s pretty expensive still! Think that’s why he came here because Athletics refused to pay his agents fee.

I don’t get why people want to write him off or declare him a hit now. Just wait until the end of the season.

acnumber9

He’s done better than I expected so far and we’d be worse off without him so probably a hit so far. Not a roaring success either mind, but our best first team signing in the summer for sure. Which says a lot about the business we did.

Foxbatt

He is a bit because he is exceeding the expectations. He was brought to provide back up. Yes he is missing some chances but he is going to score more if we keep finding him. He has been unlucky too as he has hit the post a few times. It's good that we don't try to go thru him all the time. His movements also create space for other players who should be taking advantage of that space.

Apokalips

Literally the first reply for someone to try and make the thread about one of the Caf's current whipping boys.
It's so boring going into threads to see hate spewed at players unrelated to tge topic at hand.

A section of our fans have this weird obsession with negatively comparing our players with each other and creating weird rivalries within our squad. No one can talk about Rashford/Martial/Cavani/Pogba/Bruno etc and just discuss THEIR individual performances, form or attributes without shade being thrown at one of the others in their position.

Anyway, he's been pretty good so far but definitely has room to improve. He shows a lot of quality in his touches and is the hardest working forward for sure. He has an air about him, great addition to the squad

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
A 33 year old player comes in, who hasn't trained in about a year, and immediately takes the place of your main forward, and you're calling it a miss????
Martial has been tragic this season....to be fair 1 goal every 254 minutes since Cavani has (not immediately) replaced Martial is also woeful.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I actually think he’s been very consistent in performance. His goal scoring less so, but we’ve not exactly been playing great

He's been very good, obviously not a miss.

Hope to see him kick on and finish the season around the 15-goal mark in the league, which would be a massive success.

OrcaFat

Good player. Good value. Contributing plenty. Not a long term solution but, unless he gets a significant injury, I think he’ll be here another year and will probably do enough to justify it.

All that said, I bloody hope we get a new CF soon.

macheda14

That’s not true at all. The only revisionism that there has been regarding Larsson is that he was some kind of second-coming. He barely did anything on the pitch. We were excited by his signing but that was about it.
Apart from the fact that players and Fergie loved him and his impact.

In Fergie’s autobiography
“In his last game in our colours at Middlesbrough, we were winning 2-1 and Henrik went back to play in midfield and ran his balls off,” Ferguson wrote.
“On his return to the dressing room, all the players stood up and applauded him, and the staff joined in. It takes some player to make that kind of impact in two months.
“Cult status can vanish in two minutes if a player isn’t doing his job. Yet Henrik retained that aura in his time with us. He looked a natural Man United player, with his movement and courage.”

When he was leaving Fergie said this:
“He’s been fantastic for us, his professionalism, his attitude, everything he’s done has been excellent,” the former Man United manager said.
“He’s been fantastic for us, his professionalism, his attitude, everything he’s done has been excellent,” the former Man United manager said.

“We would love him to stay but, obviously, he has made his promise to his family and Helsingborg and I think we should respect that – but I would have done anything to keep him.”

His impact wasn’t about the goals it was the example he set and the boost he gave everyone while we were going through a minor injury crisis up front.

Gary Neville- “Henrik has been fantastic for us," Neville said. "It's not just him filling a position, it is his work-rate, attitude and movement. I just hope we can keep him for as long as possible."

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
100% a hit. For all of you that said bringing in x y or z would harm such a players development. Competition is more important that any one player getting enough games. It could have all turned out really badly but he’s actually been carrying our attack in games. It’s down to our board that we are so reliant on him and that we keep having to look for short term fixes after bottling the haaland deal. Haaland or Martinez need to be our next big striker.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Classic internet fan thread.

How on earth can anyone even attempt to argue on "miss".

Born2Lose

Is this a WUM? Goals per 90 minutes in the league.

Cavani 0.7 Rashford 0.4 Martial 0.3

He'd be even higher if he was getting some decent service. Remember Rashford not passing to him for certain goals in the Southampton and Liverpool away games and that's off the top of my head.

always_hoping

The OP had some high expectations for a mid 30 year old injury prone forward if he reckons he has been a miss.

For me he's been one of Uniteds top 5 performers this season.

The Irish Connection

his work rate off the ball and movement in the box have made us better. but he has missed a few good chances.
for me, he shows how much we need Haaland.
his experience is good for the squad too. a minor hit.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Considering he was a free transfer we can't have many complaints, I think he's been good.

Red & White

I’d say he’s a hit so far. I’ve been pleased with his efforts and I hope he gets a few more league goals to finish the season on a fair number, which none of us were sure of when he came in. Seeing a striker with his movement and desire has been worth it alone for me. I think watching him has made the club realise what we’ve been missing in a forward and this move may well be the catalyst for a big forward signing in the next 6-18 months.

tomaldinho1

It's so boring going into threads to see hate spewed at players unrelated to tge topic at hand.

A section of our fans have this weird obsession with negatively comparing our players with each other and creating weird rivalries within our squad. No one can talk about Rashford/Martial/Cavani/Pogba/Bruno etc and just discuss THEIR individual performances, form or attributes without shade being thrown at one of the others in their position.

Anyway, he's been pretty good so far but definitely has room to improve. He shows a lot of quality in his touches and is the hardest working forward for sure. He has an air about him, great addition to the squad
Yh agreed. Needs to be some quality control regarding posters who just put the boot into players or managers in threads where it’s not the topic of discussion.

Smores

In the context of the type of signing he was it seems a hard to argue anything other than a hit.

I do think some of the praise goes too far mind you.

Superunknown

He's a hit for me. I would love to see some clear and sensible justification of why he could be considered a miss.

hobbers

Considering he was free and is earning only about 2/3 of what Martial is currently being paid to stink up the place... yeh he's a hit.

caid

Hit mostly. The availability every week isn't ideal but he's a great option to have. As good a rotation / injury cover option as you could ask for really. Martial being really poor as a first choice isn't his fault and leads to me looking for more from him than its reasonable to expect at times.

Chairman Steve

He’s barely been here 6 months and this threads up? :lol: I would say he’s been a ‘hit’ so far all things considering.

mikel

He's fine. He wasn't brought in to carry the team. Probably needs better service.

SER19

If anything seeing how absolutely inept the guy pretending to play at number 9 tonight is, should mark cavani as a hit purely by being far better despite being a 34 year old free transfer

jem

He has been ok
Runs around too much for me instead of staying in the box,also not very good at holding up the ball so we do not have as much possession when he plays
I wonder what he will be like if he plays in a front 2
Hopefully Martial can find his form again or maybe the future is Greenwood
You are literally the first person I've seen have a problem with Cavani's movement.