Cavani, Hit or Big Hit?

rooney2009

You are literally the first person I've seen have a problem with Cavani's movement.
Not with his movement as he doesn’t stop moving
My problem with him sometimes is that he goes looking for the ball and waste his energy chasing the ball all over the place
I want to see him in the box or final 3rd
Rooney used to do this a lot as well
BTW I’ve always been a massive Cavani fan and I loved Rooney

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Hit. We should be desperate for a long term striker of his ilk in the summer.

dave1956

He is a natural goal scorer and like all top class goal scores he is continuously moving pulling defenders out of position but the most important part of his play is thinking one and two moves ahead of the defender, and working out where the ball should be and moving into that space. Law, Greaves and Shearer amongst others had that ability. Unfortunately you need players around you who can anticipate the movement, see the space and make the pass, and at this. period in the teams development I only see Pogba, Fernandes, Matic and Mata who have those skills to get the best out of his movement.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I can't believe this thread got as far as it did. We are crying out for a center forward more than any other position which says a lot. Cavani is good but we need a guy in his prime.

jem

Not with his movement as he doesn’t stop moving
My problem with him sometimes is that he goes looking for the ball and waste his energy chasing the ball all over the place
I want to see him in the box or final 3rd
Rooney used to do this a lot as well
BTW I’ve always been a massive Cavani fan and I loved Rooney
Ah ok. I do find his hustle refreshing, especially in contrast to Martial’s.

jem

I think he's been great. The only problem has been his availability: he missed time at the beginning due to Covid measures; got an unfair (in my opinion) 3-match ban; and has been out twice due to injury (which was the biggest concern with his signing in the first place.)

redrobed

Cavani is a Utd legend.

We got him on a free transfer and knowing our owners are the way they are, he’s probably being paid significantly less than he could have got elsewhere. He’s not quite what he once was but he’s shown hunger and ambition in coming here and is still doing a decent job even now.

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
Monster Hit. Still world class, still hungry as hell and on a free.
He wasn’t free though was he?

You ought to know better as a Utd fan but iirc you paid a €4million signing on fee, agreed a €10million salary for the 1 year that you’ve got him and you pay an easily achieved €2million bonus at the end of that.

IMO he’s a truly great player and he’s worth every penny of your outlay, but free? Nah.

Champagne Football

You ought to know better as a Utd fan but iirc you paid a €4million signing on fee, agreed a €10million salary for the 1 year that you’ve got him and you pay an easily achieved €2million bonus at the end of that.

IMO he’s a truly great player and he’s worth every penny of your outlay, but free? Nah.
It was registered as an official free transfer, similar to all free transfers between clubs each transfer window.

So whatever weird agenda you have, it doesnt align with the facts.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Like to see him start more games, and I like to see a lot more balls pinged into the area for him to get on the end of.

A-man

I thought he would be around ten league goals by now. On the other hand, most of his goals have been important goals giving us points.

feck off we’re actually paying him? I’m fuming.

I swear I thought he was playing with no salary. Not happy.

Crustanoid

I think he’s a great player and hopefully the younger strikers can learn from him and improve too. He’s had a very good influence already

Chief123

He has scored a few goals so far but I am putting him in the Miss category.
The season still has a way to go and he may score some crucial goals that will make our season successful but I have not seen a good consistent level of performance so far. There is the other aspect of him being a great pro and the benefit of the other players watching him and learning from that but I must say I was expecting a lot more.
How is he a miss when he’s been our best striker this season in the limited games he’s played?

bizarre thread.

Murray3007

Would say he's closer to Hit then Miss, although he has missed some great chances for us in games we didnt win, personally think its time we gave Greenwood the chance at ST till the end of the season to see how he does in that position.

Bondi77

How is he a miss when he’s been our best striker this season in the limited games he’s played?

bizarre thread.
What is bizarre about it?
He has scored a few goals but saying he has been our best striker with Martial the only real other option is hardly setting the world on fire is it??

Chief123

What is bizarre about it?
He has scored a few goals but saying he has been our best striker with Martial the only real other option is hardly setting the world on fire is it??
Exactly the point. He is the only striker who has offered anything of note. How you can even consider him being a miss is bizarre in itself. Have you even seen what he offers when he plays?

Alfie092

A massive hit if you also take into consideration he was a free (albeit on massive wages but not astronomical). I feared he could be a major flop like a Falcao but was confident he would do well, which he has.

We have to accept his age, his recent injury record and the fact he is now playing in a much more demanding league compared to Italy and France. So he is bound to pick up a few knocks (which he currently has) and not be able to play every game. We currently have to manage him well and pick in advance which game he is to play in, just like what SAF used to do.

Right now and I think it's the same with a lot of fans, would prefer Cavani as the 9 over Martial. So I would keep him fresh for as many PL games as possible and rest him for the Europa League and FA Cup games.

Neither. I was expecting a miss, which he has not been, but he hasn't exactly set the league alight either.

He never stops working but his contribution otherwise has been a little disappointing, his goalscoring especially hasn't been up to much considering how good his movement is. If it weren't for Martial being so useless this season Cavani would be adding depth on the bench, which was probably the intention. If he was only doing that then we would be raving about him. As a starter we need better.

Devil81

I expected more goals but then I've watched him so frustrated at times with Rashford and co.

I would imagine he would score bag loads if they wasn't all so greedy in front of goal.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I don't see how anybody could possibly reach the conclusion that he has been a miss. The question is how much of a hit has he been.

Far as I'm concerned, if he'd only played one game for us it would have been worth it because we've had a wonderful example of what we've been lacking in the striker role and what we need to be looking to add to the team. As it is he's scored 7 goals (I think) and almost all of those have been game changing goals.

red_de_pologne

I've had concerns over his injury record and adapting to PL.
Overall he's been a hit, exceeded my expectations in terms of goals, work ethic, work rate, concerns over fitness have unfortunately also been confirmed.

He never stops working but his contribution otherwise has been a little disappointing, his goalscoring especially hasn't been up to much considering how good his movement is.
Looking at it like this, I really do think fans like yourself would be disappointed with most strikers in Europe. We create so so little for our number 9.

Cavani, despite his fecking incredible movement is performing exactly to his xG.

In short... you need to look deeper.

GledTheRed

Not as good as the media and pundits would make you believe.

I'd still go all in for Haaland and release him if we could pull off the deal.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Jury is still out. I’d say marginal hit.

Hes playing with players like Rashford & Greenwood who never pass & it’s not like we create much either. Being United’s number 9 is a graveyard shift.

RUCK4444

How is this thread not closed? He’s been above and beyond what many of us expected, his desire and attitude put players like Martial to shame.

No purchase fee, short term deal, you couldn’t get a better bang for your Buck.

He’s not here long term so we should absolutely still go all out for Haaland, but that’s obvious anyway.

In terms of a stop gap striker we couldn’t have gotten a better player.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
the only miss i'd give him is when he misses the ball with a swinger.

He's done it 3/4 times now where a low ball is fired into the box and he tries to hit it first time and completely messes it up. Apart from that though he's been better than I expected.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He came late when he should have been here from the first match,missed 3 games with a suspension and has had a couple of injuries.

Overall a hit even with the above stuff. A good stop gap squad option for a couple of seasons.