Cavani is not respected enough around here

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Yeah, Cavani can piss off. You cannot expect to be the boss at work if you are in 50% of the time at best. It's been closer to 15% this year or is he saying that's because he's sulking and he's never been injured?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He’s jacked it in when the club needed him the most. Good riddance.

The #mufc fans are furious you can't stay fit for two minutes you money-grabbing merchant.
This much was obvious.

He didn’t want another year, he was begged and pleaded with by Ole and the management, and he was assured he’d be the main man up top; so eventually he signed.

Of course he was fecking furious and we’ve just ended up wasting a whole year of time and money on a player that clearly felt completely betrayed, when we rejected his chance to move again in Jan we put him in a “feck you lot” moment.

Another bit of proof of how stupidly short term we are run.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Yeah, Cavani can piss off. You cannot expect to be the boss at work if you are in 50% of the time at best. It's been closer to 15% this year or is he saying that's because he's sulking and he's never been injured?
Minutes played for club vs country shows what a cnut he is. Never available for us, almost always available when it's time for international duty.

Since the Copa last summer:

Uruguay
Minutes played: 747
Country minutes in that period: 1560
Percentage of minutes played: 48 %

2 of the games in September he was ready to attend but the club didn't let him go.

United
Minutes played: 761
Club minutes in that period: 4170
Percentage of minutes played: 18 %

He'll miss the next 3 games as well taking the number down to 17 %.

RonaldoVII

Good job we did bring in another striker given his injuries and lack of effort. Imagine having to rely on him, Rashford and Martial all year.

m1tch

He's really let himself down this season after showing real quality last year.

Rightnr

Minutes played for club vs country shows what a cnut he is. Never available for us, almost always available when it's time for international duty.

Since the Copa last summer:

Uruguay
Minutes played: 747
Country minutes in that period: 1560
Percentage of minutes played: 48 %

2 of the games in September he was ready to attend but the club didn't let him go.

United
Minutes played: 761
Club minutes in that period: 4170
Percentage of minutes played: 18 %

He'll miss the next 3 games as well taking the number down to 17 %.
Wow, I was almost bang on with the 15%. He definitely will not be missed.

Red-17

Makes absolutely no sense. If anything, he would have a bigger role the second half of this season. Went from Martial, Greenwood, and Rashford as potential options to just Ronaldo. Guarantee if he was actually fit/wanted to play, he would be playing in just about every match. Ronaldo has scored something like 7 of our last 8 goals, I think we could make room for another goal scorer on the pitch.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

The #mufc fans are furious you can't stay fit for two minutes you money-grabbing merchant.
And us fans are furious because were promised a fully functioning striker not a lump of meat upfront.

It's clear this guy took advantage of a weak management.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
This much was obvious.

He didn’t want another year, he was begged and pleaded with by Ole and the management, and he was assured he’d be the main man up top; so eventually he signed.

Of course he was fecking furious and we’ve just ended up wasting a whole year of time and money on a player that clearly felt completely betrayed, when we rejected his chance to move again in Jan we put him in a “feck you lot” moment.

Why didn’t he leave in January? Ask the club to rip up his contract or at any other time throughout the season

Mercurial

He hasn't been featuring for so long I kinda forgot he still was here. :p I'd like a high paying job like that someday.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

We're a shockingly run club, but just as bloody well we did bring Ronaldo in.
Could you imagine it otherwise? Aimlessly punting it to Rashy hoping he could do a run like 2-3 years ago.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So him expecting to be the number 1 striker is kind of hilarious . We have some really oversized egos at our club . The man must have played 90 mins no more than 5 games last season
You just hope that the club have learnt from these sort of deals.
Ronaldo was worth it, with his history and still high level, but Cavani was pure mercenary stuff.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Absolute disaster of a signing. Just having any average striker that is actually available most games would be an improvement next season.

Idxomer

An unprofessional player being unprofessional, not a surprise after he did the same at PSG.

HookedOnAPhelan

Waste of money. To think Ole begged him to stay last summer. Though tbf I (and I think most others?) was happy to keep him on too, really liked him last season.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Edison Cavani had a really good first year here. Production was so so for a while, and he did have injuries, but every time he played he was all heart and it was honestly infectious. He had every bit of the making of a cult hero.

Im reading a lot of assumption about why we let him stay another year here, and its all pointing fingers at incompetent management.

At the end of the previous season, Cavani scored 10 goals in 11 matches.

OGS certainly wanted Cavani to stay, being quoted as "wanting Edi to experience the true atmosphere at Old Trafford". Edison made a interview where he laid out several reasons for why he chose to stay: The fans in Manchester who absolutely adored him, even giving him his own song. The team was solid and were going places. And maybe as important is that his family enjoyed life in Manchester. More important is probably the Manchester United players who, according to Edi himself, kept "asking him to stay" "Stay Edi, we love you" etc. Those are all things Edi has said publicly.

Its not really as simple as "Edi got fecked and everyone is incompetent". He took another year becuase the atmosphere in the club before this season was absolutely phenomenal. No one can seriously sit and here and say that they didnt like what they saw going into the season.

So what the club signed on for a second year was the top scorer for the latter half of the season.

Ronaldo coming in after the fact of course changed everything. Its genuinely just a mashup of poor cirumstance and bad luck of the draw. Ronaldo is a player you sign and you figure it out later.

The amount of injuries or perhaps the lack of will to return from injuries this season has been an absolute joke though. He is fit to play for Uruguay but cant lace up for club.

Its such a shame it came to this in the end. Everything was set for grandeur and its come to bitterness

Greck

Why didn’t he leave in January? Ask the club to rip up his contract or at any other time throughout the season
He tried. RR said he wouldn't let him. I always felt RR would have been better off taking his own advice about letting wantaways leave. Massively disappointing do as I say not as I do moment. Might have even cost him a smoother tenure. Too bad it's the fans who have to suffer the consequences of the shiteshow.

Ole also should have never assured him. Can't say enough about how downright stupid Ole managed this year's squad. It's like he had no plan beyond "yay more goals". Dodged so many sack opportunities just to end up getting done by having too much talent.

Last edited:

flappyjay

He tried. RR said he wouldn't let him. I always felt RR would have been better off taking his own advice about letting wantaways leave. Massively disappointing do as I say not as I do moment. Might have even cost him a smoother tenure. Too bad it's the fans who have to suffer the consequences of the shiteshow.

Ole also should have never assured him. Can't say enough about how downright stupid Ole managed this year's squad. It's like he had no plan beyond "yay more goals". Dodged so many sack opportunities just to end up getting done by having too much talent.
To be fair to Ole, Ronaldo was probably never on our raider and I think a striker was not in the plans going into the last summer window.

Greck

To be fair to Ole, Ronaldo was probably never on our raider and I think a striker was not in the plans going into the last summer window.
That's what makes it worse. Did he even have a striker profile in mind or was just chasing names. Not knowing what to do with Sancho and Ronaldo after getting them was just amazing. No real plan and it cost him.

Last edited:

KeanoMagicHat

The Ronaldo signing had a lot of after effects all through the squad, and people wonder why the team is much worse than last season.

HookedOnAPhelan

To be fair to Ole, he must've been under immense pressure to sign Ronaldo. I know he had a veto on all signings, but imagine the fecking shitstorm if he had put his foot down and Ronaldo had signed for City. It was a no-win situation for him.

Dante

Average bang
That's what makes it worse. Did he even have a striker profile in mind or was just chasing names. Not knowing what to do with Sancho and Ronaldo after getting them was just amazing. No real plan and it cost him.
Ronaldo was a typical Woodward signing. He had a hardon for Galacticos since day one. His entire time at United was littered with poorly thought out transfers intended to help the marketing department rather than the manager.

Last edited:

Idxomer

Ronaldo's signing was mostly Fergie and his former United teammates.

Rightnr

The Ronaldo signing had a lot of after effects all through the squad, and people wonder why the team is much worse than last season.
We need a facepalm smiley for 'opinions' like this.

el3mel

This much was obvious.

Exactly. Only the club to be blamed for this mess. He wanted to leave and we are the ones who kept him. It's our own problem.

KeanoMagicHat

Yep, it had nothing to do with players not being professional enough.
If you have 7 or 8 high-profile players on big money expecting to be the 'man', that you've promised minutes to, competing for a few positions, expect a few of them to get pissed off and stop caring about the club. It's basic squad management. Even on Career Mode on Fifa, a very simplistic simulator of team dynamics, watch player morale disintegrate when you promised players would be key players and they end up back-up. It's squad management 101, I don't know why people are surprised the squad is toxic when so many players have been lied to about their role in the team and/or denied a chance to move to another team.

Exactly. Only the club to be blamed for this mess. He wanted to leave and we are the ones who kept him. It's our own problem.
Aye, we certainly fooled him and fecked him over somewhat, but signings like Ronaldo are so unforeseen and he appeared to at least crack on there and was still doing a bit until Jan, but how the feck we then thought it a good idea to force him to stay in Jan I don’t know. Clearly people at the club weren’t listening to him, and have only themselves to blame for how it’s turned out in the 2nd half of the season. They just threw money down the toilet.

The United

If you have 7 or 8 high-profile players on big money expecting to be the 'man', that you've promised minutes to, competing for a few positions, expect a few of them to get pissed off and stop caring about the club. It's basic squad management. Even on Career Mode on Fifa, a very simplistic simulator of team dynamics, watch player morale disintegrate when you promised players would be key players and they end up back-up. It's squad management 101, I don't know why people are surprised the squad is toxic when so many players have been lied to about their role in the team and/or denied a chance to move to another team.
Did you just give me examples from Fifa career mode on squad management?

And who the feck are those 7 or 8 high profile players in this team? When I say high profile players, I mean players who have actually won tons of good stuff. None of your arguments excuses the lack of professionalism from some players here.

In this guy's case, he was injured/not available even before Ronaldo was signed...

Jericho

He was 34 when the season started. He didn't/doesn't have much time left in his career, if he was led to believe he'd be #1, which looks to be the case, then it's no wonder he's pissed off.

Longshanks

Unpopular opinion time, we would of had a much better season and not be in the mess we are now if we hadn't signed Ronaldo.

Ronaldo has come in and had a pretty good individual campaign scored plenty goals, but has actually made the team worse. He is such an individualistic player and he demands all attacking passes be played to him and also demands that the team work for him rather than him work for the team. You watch and its obvious players turn down good opportunities to shoot or play another player in to look for Ronaldo. Even if they are in a better posistion or they can put a different player in a better posistion it goes to Ronaldo.

Cavani for what its worth was much more the team player who would work for the team and help other players to get into goal scoring posistions, he made the team better. Ronaldo has made it worse.

Oh well its done now just add it to long list of stupid singings with no eye on the bigger picture we have made over the past few years. Maybe it was a good thing and now we are putting in a proper modern coach we may have a chance of righting the wrongs.

KeanoMagicHat

Did you just give me examples from Fifa career mode on squad management?

And who the feck are those 7 or 8 high profile players in this team? When I say high profile players, I mean players who have actually won tons of good stuff. None of your arguments excuses the lack of professionalism from some players here.

In this guy's case, he was injured/not available even before Ronaldo was signed...
I did because that's how basic it is that United have got wrong, you can't carry that big of a squad of high paid, high ego players and not expect a backlash, it's the history of football (or team sports) in general for 50-60 years.

Lingard was in the form of his life for West Ham and was in the England squad, then United say "we need you" and blocks a transfer but he is never picked. He even scored 2 goals in 60 minutes of football in the league in the first half of the season, but another move is blocked in January.
Cavani - been said in this thread.
Martial was given a £200k a week contract and would have been told he was going to be the main man for the next few years when he signed it. Then he doesn't even make the matchday squad.
Donie Van De Beek would have been told he was a key part of the team... doesn't even get more than 5 minutes off the bench in the majority of games, despite having no injuries. Went from a Champions League semi-final and costing £40m to getting less minutes than Phil Jones.
Henderson was told he'd be competing for goalkeeper on the team... doesn't even get cup games (obviously not competing with Ronaldo for places, but just talking about the poor squad management of the club and false promises they've given to players).

There's 5 pissed off players at the start, never mind Sancho being left out of the team for ages despite supposedly arriving as the saviour for United, signed for £75m, Bruno really struggling for Portugal in the Euros, coming back without Ronaldo in the team and scoring a hat-trick and looking reborn, then United sign the one player he can't play well with, and he goes immediately back into being a shell of a footballer.

The United

Unpopular opinion time, we would of had a much better season and not be in the mess we are now if we hadn't signed Ronaldo.

Ronaldo has come in and had a pretty good individual campaign scored plenty goals, but has actually made the team worse. He is such an individualistic player and he demands all attacking passes be played to him and also demands that the team work for him rather than him work for the team. You watch and its obvious players turn down good opportunities to shoot or play another player in to look for Ronaldo. Even if they are in a better posistion or they can put a different player in a better posistion it goes to Ronaldo.

Cavani for what its worth was much more the team player who would work for the team and help other players to get into goal scoring posistions, he made the team better. Ronaldo has made it worse.

Oh well its done now just add it to long list of stupid singings with no eye on the bigger picture we have made over the past few years. Maybe it was a good thing and now we are putting in a proper modern coach we may have a chance of righting the wrongs.
For that, Cavani had to be available from the beginning. He was not. We would not be in a far better situation with how the season turned out for our forward players.

Not to mention, few would remember the games he was any good playing in this season...if there was any.