Cavani is not respected enough around here

stevoc

It always seems the United ones that are affected by it. City get fecking legends of their club who spend half their careers there...we get Veron, Di Maria, Cavani etc.
Well I'm sure their second under the table salary buys them a lot of sunbeds and sun lamps to combat their seasonal affective disorder.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Seems to be a running theme with a lot of South American players who move to Northern England. You'd almost think they aren't aware that the planet has a tilted axis which causes seasons and differing amounts of daylight at different times of the year.
I'm aware of all that and was aware throughout the decade or so I lived in the UK. Never got over it though.

It's a mix of lack of sunlight and not feeling any heat from the sun (not just in winter but most of the year bar a few Summer days).

Lots of players have put up with it just fine, of course, but I can see how it can be a total arse, particularly with covid, lockdowns, etc.

stevoc

I'm aware of all that and was aware throughout the decade or so I lived in the UK. Never got over it though.

It's a mix of lack of sunlight and not feeling any heat from the sun (not just in winter but most of the year bar a few Summer days).

Lots of players have put up with it just fine, of course, but I can see how it can be a total arse, particularly with covid, lockdowns, etc.
I doubt anyone does mate, even most people from this part of Europe don't particularly enjoy the lack of sunlight at certain times of the year.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Still one of my favourite players :drool:

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Ogden claiming he was shocked it went dark at 3pm in the Winter. For starters, the sunset in Manchester on December 21st was about an hour later than that, and he lived in Paris for years where the sun sets at a similar time. Journalism these days.
It's bullshit. The general public in the UK can't believe it goes dark at 3 and we see this winter every year.

These journalists are the real enemies.

Abraxas

Unfortunately we got him way past his peak and it was difficult to even get him on the pitch for various reasons. His time is strange in that his actions didn't scream commitment, and yet his performances were relatively committed, at least relative to some of his team mates. Overall I don't think he's one that will be remembered too fondly - he did okay for periods.

Bobski

Utd need to stop with these type of signings, the last few years have been our tribute to the AC Milan retirement home for declining stars tour of the late 00's.

Brophs

The One and Only
He was alright in his first season but people lost their shit because he ran around. There were also rumours he was refusing to play or declaring himself unfit for some games he didn’t fancy. The second season has been a waste of everyone’s time. He hasn’t really wanted to be here at all.

honirelandboy

Falcao, Zlatan, Cavani, Ronaldo. Its Manchester United not a retirement home.

Cavani was never good enough for us.

Judas

Open to offers
It didn't work out for the reasons I and others expected. He's injury prone and quite simply a bit precious. Shame this 2nd season ever happened, because if he'd left last summer he'd probably be remembered a lot more fondly.

TsuWave

Seems to be a running theme with a lot of South American players who move to Northern England. You'd almost think they aren't aware that the planet has a tilted axis which causes seasons and differing amounts of daylight at different times of the year.
The ones at City seem to not mind it

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The ones at City seem to not mind it
A second off the book wage deal helps.

Also, I cringe everytime I see the thread. Guy is constantly injured and rarely features for the club, has wanted to leave for a good amount of his time here and some people think he's not respected enough?

copen1945

So why do a lot of the South Americans who've played for United seem to mind then?
Liverpool prominently have an Egyptian, Brazilians and players from Iberia. No problems with them. They are all mercenaries. We just need to become better at buying those who would actually play per their pay. Cavani has been using United as a training base for his World Cup appearance.

Redlyn

I still remember Larsson's half a second here but Cavani will be forgotten as soon as he leaves.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
“Cavani couldn't believe that it got dark outside at 3 pm in the winter”

:lol: It’s like me moving to Australia and then being shocked that instead of snow I’m witnessing 40 degrees at Christmas. Do some basic research ffs.

Good fecking riddance to this dimwit.

JB7

Falcao, Zlatan, Cavani, Ronaldo. Its Manchester United not a retirement home.

Cavani was never good enough for us.
I'm not sure on this, signing older players has it's merits however we've obviously applied the strategy poorly at times with varying results.
  • Falcao was still only 27/28 and was signed on loan with a view to a deal IIRC. It didn't work out but was relatively low risk with a potential high reward - sure the wages were high but we were dishing out stupid money that summer anyway.
  • Zlatan led us to one trophy and well on the way to another before his injury. We then replaced him with Lukaku. 90 odd goals in the 5 years since leaving us would suggest backing Lukaku over Zlatan was a poor move.
  • Cavani was good for us last season, did a good job and was exactly what you want from a senior pro. Obviously he got the hump this season but had he left in the summer he'd have remained a popular signing.
  • Ronaldo, well you're not going to not sign Ronaldo. I still maintain the biggest issue with signing him was then asking him to play the lone striker role which he's literally never played consistently at club level. It was an insane thing to do early on but obviously after January we had no other options. Still got 24 goals though.
I'm not saying having the first choice number 9 being an older player is always the best idea unless they are a Ronaldo level player but similar to how Zlatan has been a squad player for Milan this year or Cavani last year for us, there are definitely merits to having those players around if their influence is positive.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I've seen Paris get dark around a similar time in winter and this guy lived there for 6 years.

Kopral Jono

Had we won the Europa League last season Cavani's time with us would be remembered quite fondly by the vast majority of our fans, irrespective of him downing tools since Ronaldo came around.

I got a lot of stick for saying he would flop here and wouldn't break 10 goals in his first season. I was wrong, he got exactly 10. He was once class and put the effort in on the pitch but ultimately he wasn't good enough during his time here. He will be remembered fondly for a while but eventually barely make the footnotes of our history.

RopersReturn

If we’d have bought a few a years ago, under stable management and a respectable squad, he’d have been legendary.