Cavani is not respected enough around here

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We used to play two strikers. They can play together but then none of our other forwards get to start. I think the opposing defence would prefer not to face Cavani and Ronaldo together in the centre. It means going to a diamond or a 442.
We'll have to trial it at some stage.

See how something like Matic at the base of a diamond, McFred and then Bruno works out.
Loads would be needed from Shaw and AWB though.

Means our set of wide forwards aren't involved though. But it's unclear if Ronaldo on the left, Cavani centre, then one of Sancho/Greenwood right, would work out.

432JuanMata

The thing the likes of Cavani and Ibra(when here) have made this forum look stupid, most people here when we are signing these players complain about the age and say they don’t want etc. But what people don’t understand is if you look after yourself and don’t rely on pace then mid 30’s these days is a good age.

I feel people get stuck in the past when most players declined last 20’s. I’ve seen posts here saying “nearly 29 don’t want” etc. Cavani always relied on his movement and has one of the smartest brains in the game it was obvious he would do well here.

Foxbatt

I'm all for playing two strikers but In my opinion a diamond or a 4-4-2 would only work if we have a proper holding midfielder. We do have one in Matic, but expecting him to consistently perform as a single pivot given his age is a tough ask.
That I agree with you. That is why I feel that we need to sell some players like Martial, DVB and buy a good DM. I really do not think we needed Sancho. Not because he is a bad player but I really do not like to play with two dedicated wingers in every game.

Teja

With Rashford returning as well, I wonder how this will play out.

I expect Ronaldo / Cavani start and Rashford super sub on the LW? And Greenwood and Sancho can fight it out on the right.

Pogba has to play CM at this point.

tomaldinho1

I'm all for playing two strikers but In my opinion a diamond or a 4-4-2 would only work if we have a proper holding midfielder. We do have one in Matic, but expecting him to consistently perform as a single pivot given his age is a tough ask.
Matic could work if we threw caution to the wind and played Varane/Bailly as a CB partnership, both are fast enough to compensate for Matic & Bailly can come out the line and be aggressive whilst Fred/VdB...lol who am I kidding...McT ahead of him would just press/receive the ball higher up the pitch. It's not ideal but then again, we aren't exactly playing well so worth trying it I'd have thought.

Foxbatt

We'll have to trial it at some stage.

See how something like Matic at the base of a diamond, McFred and then Bruno works out.
Loads would be needed from Shaw and AWB though.

Means our set of wide forwards aren't involved though. But it's unclear if Ronaldo on the left, Cavani centre, then one of Sancho/Greenwood right, would work out.
I see it as Matic, Fred and Scott on the sides and Bruno on top of the diamond with Cavani and Ronaldo up front. Yes we are playing narrow and asking Shaw and AWB to provide the width. But both Cavani and Ronaldo also can move to flanks themselves when needed and put in decent cross when required. Both Fred and Scot can play box to box and like to play box to box and do not have to hold the DM position as it is something they are not very good at doing.
I remember Johan Cruijff once talking about not starting Van Basten not because he is not good but because he wanted to batter the opposition physically in the first half and then release Van Basten on them. Sort of like horses for courses. So if we need to counter attack we also have the option of bringing in fast players to have a go at tired players.

Fitchett

I see it as Matic, Fred and Scott on the sides and Bruno on top of the diamond with Cavani and Ronaldo up front. Yes we are playing narrow and asking Shaw and AWB to provide the width. But both Cavani and Ronaldo also can move to flanks themselves when needed and put in decent cross when required. Both Fred and Scot can play box to box and like to play box to box and do not have to hold the DM position as it is something they are not very good at doing.
I remember Johan Cruijff once talking about not starting Van Basten not because he is not good but because he wanted to batter the opposition physically in the first half and then release Van Basten on them. Sort of like horses for courses. So if we need to counter attack we also have the option of bringing in fast players to have a go at tired players.
That would be a defender's nightmare :lol:

alexthelion

With Rashford returning as well, I wonder how this will play out.

I expect Ronaldo / Cavani start and Rashford super sub on the LW? And Greenwood and Sancho can fight it out on the right.

Pogba has to play CM at this point. sit on the bench.
That's better.

PoTMS

Not sure if this has been posted but so good to see how much credit he gets from his teammates for the goal. His work rate alone sucked the ball into the net.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Our attack turned to shite after he was subbed.
Cavani does create a lot of space because of his movements, it's really is strong suit so he makes things easier for other attacking players.

snk123

Cavani was absolutely shit. Anyone who argues otherwise is just lying. His touch, passing even his heading (best chance of the match) was off. Stop saying we were better with him because it wasn’t because of him.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Benched again just because ole cant bench ronaldo or stick him upfront with ronaldo, doing that would entail benching one of mcfred.

The only player who's treated worse is donny.

Lee565

Again the club has screwed him over mich like van der beek, cavani wanted to go back home but no, ole convinced him that he wanted for another year as a regular striker but now has to make do with being a sub for nearly the entire season.

Jonathan Brown

Supports
Newcastle United
Can we take him at Newcastle in January please. Him and Jessie would do us just fine. ;-)

CloneMC16

Benched again just because ole cant bench ronaldo or stick him upfront with ronaldo, doing that would entail benching one of mcfred.

The only player who's treated worse is donny.
Playing Cavani is not going to bench one of McFred. It's going to bench Rashford or Greenwood.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Playing Cavani is not going to bench one of McFred. It's going to bench Rashford or Greenwood.
What good is mcfred anyway ? We're leaking goals with them and doing feck all going forward.

Glorio

We love Edinson, but somehow I agree with the OP - brilliant player. If he was younger, would be my number one choice for the captainship.

He's the example you want younger players to follow. Ole's comments on his character throughout last week typify the man. It's just a shame that you almost know he'll be unavailable for certain chunks of the season.

Mike Smalling

Add him to the long list of players that joined the club way too late in their careers. Schweinsteiger, Zlatan, Falcao, Ronaldo (second time), Matic, etc.

Love him as a player, by the way. Just think it's a damn shame we did have him the past 5 years.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Waste of money. Spends more time not playing for whatever reason

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Another cult hero where it took people too long to realise he's not that useful. In this case, the reason is he's too injury-prone or unwilling to play with a niggle.

All well and good butt he's paid way too much for that, plus the issue with internationals at the start of the season.

SAF is the GOAT

Another cult hero where it took people too long to realise he's not that useful. In this case, the reason is he's too injury-prone or unwilling to play with a niggle.

All well and good butt he's paid way too much for that, plus the issue with internationals at the start of the season.
That was the same issues with him in PSG

MattJ166

That was the same issues with him in PSG

He had like 243 goal involvements in 301 games, he definitely was useful during his time at PSG.

He's a very good player, even for us, when he is fit but as he is aging his body can't really handle the all action style he deploys. When he does play he's usually one of the best of the pitch, he'lleven better under ralf.

stoinz

He plays well when he plays. Think it is just the way he plays that it is not sustainable over the course of a season and hence the injuries.

jem

He had like 243 goal involvements in 301 games, he definitely was useful during his time at PSG.

He's a very good player, even for us, when he is fit but as he is aging his body can't really handle the all action style he deploys. When he does play he's usually one of the best of the pitch, he'lleven better under ralf.
Jeppers is no doubt crafting a reply to this....

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He would be respected a lot more if he could stay fit for five bloody minutes.

Rightnr

The key here is how long it took him to get to 301 games.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
The key here is how long it took him to get to 301 games.
According to transfermarkt it's 252 goal involvements in 303 games, first of which was the season 13/14 and he left in 19/20 which means 7 seasons which is an average of just over 43 games a season, not really the "absent" sort you claim is it?

KingCavani

It's so god damn frustrating, especially as the partnership with Ronaldo showed real potential.

He's a class act but a bit of a liability with these injuries.

Rightnr

According to transfermarkt it's 252 goal involvements in 303 games, first of which was the season 13/14 and he left in 19/20 which means 7 seasons which is an average of just over 43 games a season, not really the "absent" sort you claim is it?
Firstly, he has been absent for us, of that there is little doubt despite your little passive aggressive jibe.

Secondly, he's older now, so might be worth splitting up the period but in any case, he's not been available for a long enough period to justify all this adoration and expectation that he's somehow to be Ronaldo's partner who is seemingly always ready to play.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Firstly, he has been absent for us, of that there is little doubt despite your little passive aggressive jibe.

Secondly, he's older now, so might be worth splitting up the period but in any case, he's not been available for a long enough period to justify all this adoration and expectation that he's somehow to be Ronaldo's partner who is seemingly always ready to play.
It wasn't passive aggressive, it had a sarcastic tone, you didn't comment on what he has/ hasn't done for us, I addressed what you commented on, you can revise your statement if you wish but for PSG he was very reliable despite the reputation he seems to have.

I agree he can't be relied upon which is the more important conversation but I think the love and admiration is for what he has achieved, the fact he seems to genuinely want to play for us, be a good experience and is a proven winner. I would love for him to be Ronaldo's striker partner but he isn't fit enough but the coaches may know more about that so we will have to see. I think Ronnie could work equally well with his abilities with someone who can hold the ball up so it's a shame Martial is so out of form as he would have been the other most natural partner.

Rightnr

It wasn't passive aggressive, it had a sarcastic tone, you didn't comment on what he has/ hasn't done for us, I addressed what you commented on, you can revise your statement if you wish but for PSG he was very reliable despite the reputation he seems to have.

I agree he can't be relied upon which is the more important conversation but I think the love and admiration is for what he has achieved, the fact he seems to genuinely want to play for us, be a good experience and is a proven winner. I would love for him to be Ronaldo's striker partner but he isn't fit enough but the coaches may know more about that so we will have to see. I think Ronnie could work equally well with his abilities with someone who can hold the ball up so it's a shame Martial is so out of form as he would have been the other most natural partner.
Well, I was more questioning how long he took to get to the number of games, not that the whole conclusion was wrong.

In any case, I rate Cavani (and Martial although he's been dire of late) but for me, he's a bit like Bailly. Love him as a player but if he's not there when we need him, what's the point?

The whole mentoring Greenwood seems to have gone this season as well and we're paying him a million a month. Those are not the wages for someone who's a great cameo player.

I’d make the same case about Greewood. I remember how hyped United fans used to get about very average United academy players who ended up being pretty crap. Yet Greewood has come onto the first team, more the held his own, put in great numbers, showed great natural finishing and the potential to be a great but people are mostly like “meh we need a replacement when CR7 leaves”