Cavani replacement

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So with the rumours lately, and oles quotes on him not sounding great - it’s fair to assume he’s off at the end of the season.

who would be a good replacement?

I think we all know the clear number 1 target is Haaland, but that won’t be easy. Who else is a realistic target that can come in and do a job instantly.

davidmichael

If we sign Sancho then we no longer have to use Greenwood out wide on the right so that’d mean Martial and Greenwood as central strikers, personally I’d look into re-signing Depay as he’s a lot better than when he was when we had him and he offers depth through the middle as well as on the left and as a free transfer we’d save money as I doubt he’d want as much as Cavani is on.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
So with the rumours lately, and oles quotes on him not sounding great - it’s fair to assume he’s off at the end of the season.

who would be a good replacement?

I think we all know the clear number 1 target is Haaland, but that won’t be easy. Who else is a realistic target that can come in and do a job instantly.
It depends if we believe Greenwood is our long term #9 or not. If we do, then I'm in favour of another Cavani/Zlatan type signing for a year or 2. Ronaldo maybe?

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If we sign Sancho then we no longer have to use Greenwood out wide on the right so that’d mean Martial and Greenwood as central strikers, personally I’d look into re-signing Depay as he’s a lot better than when he was when we had him and he offers depth through the middle as well as on the left and as a free transfer we’d save money as I doubt he’d want as much as Cavani is on.
It's actually not a bad shout, provided he'd be okay with not being a guaranteed first choice. But I think he's off to Barca if Koeman stays in charge.

justsomebloke

I don't think I'd feel happy going into next season with Martial/Greenwood. Neither has given anyone reason this season to believe they're ready to shoulder that burden. I think it makes sense to move Martial out at this point, and Mason looks like he'll need more time before he's the main option. Another Cavani-like signing is better than nothing, but it's really not a good solution. We will need two top strikers going forward, and Greenwood's one of them. Get the other one in now.

Haaland should be our 1st, 2nd and 3rd priority, because he's a kind of player you almost never have the chance to acquire, and the chance is there now. That goes beyond positional needs logic.

If we can't get him, then IMO the priority has to be someone who can be a first choice on the right, and preferably also fill inn well for Bruno in the central position. IE, Jack Grealish. Because there we have not just a need to upgrade, but really a gaping hole. Even if you assume Diallo will develop into a more regular role, that really only helps fill the gap left by Lingard and Mata if they depart, as we must expect they will.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Depay? Ffs! We need a great goalscorer and there’s a brilliant one in Haaland. If we have to go for the next tier down then it’s DCL or similar for me

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Depay? Ffs! We need a great goalscorer and there’s a brilliant one in Haaland. If we have to go for the next tier down then it’s DCL or similar for me
I think Haaland is everyone's first choice but if we don't get him then I'd rather not spunk 80-90 million on DCL, because that's what Everton will ask for him and he'll be saddled with that price tag. People will expect things of him he won't be able to deliver and it'll be another Lukaku like situation.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Sign Sancho, Neto or whoever and move Greenwood central. If we can't get Haaland, that is.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It’s Haaland or no one for me, as we have done makeshift deals in the past and they never work out. I’m convinced Greenwood could have a devastating season if we bought someone like Sancho on the RW to feed him. With a deeper playmaker in midfield we would also end up creating far more which I’m confident Greenwood would capitalise on.

AgentSmith

If we can’t get Haaland is it really worth spending £60/70 million on someone like Calvert Lewin? It’s a point of diminishing returns with any of these other expensive options.

We’d be much better off investing that type of money in a RW like Sancho who would have far more of an impact on our overall attacking play.

Maybe someone me like Ings if we were able to get him on a cheap deal. Only a year left on his deal in the summer.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Who's the latest past-it striker looking for one last payday?

Checks notes...hold on...

He's coming home.

Drizzle

If we can’t get Haaland is it really worth spending £60/70 million on someone like Calvert Lewin? It’s a point of diminishing returns with any of these other expensive options.

We’d be much better off investing that type of money in a RW like Sancho who would have far more of an impact on our overall attacking play.

Maybe someone me like Ings if we were able to get him on a cheap deal. Only a year left on his deal in the summer.
Calvert-Lewin would be north of £80m.

Ings is a very good shout, however. Still only 28, premier league proven, good all-rounder who would get us 20 goals a season I reckon. And affordable.

justsomebloke

Ings is a very good shout, however. Still only 28, premier league proven, good all-rounder who would get us 20 goals a season I reckon. And affordable.
And injury-prone. :)

Anyway, that only makes sense if we assume we're looking for a backup striker. I don't think we are, or at least I don't think we should. I think Greenwood should be the backup striker. What we should do is get someone for the right wing, and an upgrade on Martial as top striker.

AgentSmith

Yeah I was being conservative and it’s still a rip off. Everton would definitely demand closer to your price which would basically be our entire budget.

I don’t think Southampton would stand in Ings’ way the Everton would with DCL and he wouldn’t impede Greenwood’s progress either.

And injury-prone. :)

Anyway, that only makes sense if we assume we're looking for a backup striker. I don't think we are, or at least I don't think we should. I think Greenwood should be the backup striker. What we should do is get someone for the right wing, and an upgrade on Martial as top striker.
Who would be your choice for this upgrade on Martial if we can’t get Haaland?

Kag

I don’t watch that much football outside of United but it seems quite worrying that I can’t think of a single attainable forward outside of Haaland who would come in and make the impact we clearly need up top.

I mean, just look at some of the suggestions in here. Ings? Calvert-Lewis? Some fella at Frankfurt who couldn’t get a kick for Milan? Where are all of the strikers?

I’d make Haaland the priority but if we can’t get him then we need to invest in the right wing.

justsomebloke

Who would be your choice for this upgrade on Martial if we can’t get Haaland?
Oh, I don't know. Then it becomes a large field, and I don't know nearly enough about most of the players in it to have a really firm opinion. Kane, if he decides to leave, would obviously be great. I like DCL, but agree he would hardly justify the cost and might not respond well to playing with the kind of pressure that kind of pricetag would bring at a club like United. Jimenez, possibly. I like Dybala, but I think the moment has passed with him. Lautaro Martinez maybe?

Wheato

Haaland's 65m buy out clause isn't until 2022. Considering the 60m that we just had to borrow to cope with pandemic losses, it is highly unlikely that we are splashing out 150m on him this summer.

If Cavani is gone to Boca in the summer, and we need an experienced stop gap forward to lead the line, score goals and develop the younger players, then I can see a lot of positives in taking a punt on Cristiano Ronaldo, with maybe a two year deal.

Yes he is 36, but so was Zlatan. Ronaldo is comfortably a 30 goal a season striker. He is still banging them in, 23 so far this season. He is as fit as a racehorse, methodically looks after himself, and most importantly, he loves United. He could single handedly turn all the draws we have been having in the last few years to wins. He can carry a team on his own, if needs be. He is a machine.

People saying Aguero, Vardy etc..

Might as well go big, if we want to improve and progress to winning titles and trophies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
https://www.patreon.com/posts/48966550

A good read. An article to show why we need Sancho first before Cavani‘s replacement or no 9. Well, I had the same view last summer why we needed Sancho. Beside, Sancho also capable to score goals. Similar to Bruno in term of both are creative player and have high number of goals and assists not just one of them.

Swedish_Plumber

It would be nice to get this next one right and have a reliable 20 goal a season CF for the next 5 years. Even with a pandemic the going rate for one of those is going to be expensive.
Having said that our options are limited, so failing getting a goal scorer we may need to look at someone who is fantastic everywhere else and can help create for our wide players- like Liverpool did with Firmino during their peak seasons.

Matthew84!

Definitely not Ronaldo, he's the wrong age, cost way too much in wages, will put others out as he takes all free kicks and he doesn't track back, Haaland if not Sancho, keep Cavani another season,
If Pogba stays he has been used on the left so Rashford can also rotate as a striker
Just thought perhaps we could raid Spurs for Son?