Cavani replacement

SemiPro

I think realistically our best chance of signing Haaland was when he was at Salzburg. It just seems to me like if he wanted to come to United he would have chose us instead of Dortmund.

I know there’s were issues with release clauses and Raiola looking a cut of any future transfer fee but Raiola is still his agent. What’s changed?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Anyone else think signing Ronaldo would leave a bad taste in the mouth? The guy legged it the first chance he got, after comparing himself to a slave no less, gave 10 years of his peak to a (at that time) European rival and in the process cost us the chance to dominate Europe for 3-5 years. I’m convinced we’d have at least 2 more European cups, and who knows how many leagues in a row.

There’s a massive asterisk next to ‘United legend’ status in my opinion, and if we’re being honest he always seemed to have more affection for Fergie than United itself anyway. For him to come back here at 36 like none of that ever happened wouldn’t really sit right. It’s not quite Rooney returning to Everton at 34 with a beer gut, but is it the mark of an apparent ‘elite club’? We should be looking forwards, not back.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If Pogba wants out, and Juventus wants him, the a Ronaldo swap makes a lot of sense assuming Ronaldo can still play well up top.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
If Pogba wants out, and Juventus wants him, the a Ronaldo swap makes a lot of sense assuming Ronaldo can still play well up top.
If we are building for the future then a year or so makes sense. Cavani looks as though his body has had it

Castia

I think we’ll go for Sancho again and use Martial/Greenwood as our strikers.

Cheekiey

How has no one mentioned Harry Kane...

yes Haaland no.1 target but if we can’t get him then get Harry Kane who is an elite striker. I can’t see us getting Kane and Sancho in the same window. If Kane doesn’t win anything with Mourinho who was brought in to win at least 1 trophy then I think he’ll want out.

MattofManchester

We'll probably go for a RW, and persist with Martial, sadly. If we go that route, I'd rather persist with Greenwood. Give him the freedom to get that role nailed down.
If the goals start coming between now and the end of the season, I'd experiment.

I say this because I think we still need to keep the order. The RW has been neglected for so, so long. If we keep leaving it, it will remain neglected.

lysglimt

Scout

yes Haaland no.1 target but if we can’t get him then get Harry Kane who is an elite striker. I can’t see us getting Kane and Sancho in the same window. If Kane doesn’t win anything with Mourinho who was brought in to win at least 1 trophy then I think he’ll want out.
For the simple reason - he will cost us £120-130 million in transfer fee - add to that agent costs and a wage of £15-20 million a year. He is 28 years old in the summer - so maybe (MAYBE) we will get 4 good years from Kane.

So basically we are paying £200 million minimum for a player whose value could be close to nothing in 4 years.

You don't have to be a financial genious to figure out that signing Kane could be devastating for our financials unless he delivers for 2-3 years as well as he has for Spurs.

Giggsy13

No need to consider a swap, as I think Pogba is staying. Ole wouldn’t talk about ongoing contract talks if there was a legitimate chance Pogba was leaving. Juve’s finances have been hit hard and they need to sell.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Because he'd be way too expensive.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ornstein said today Kane wants to leave and 120m is likely the number.

It's going to take a similar effort for Haaland to come here if its this window. Both players for me are worth the fee so it's really down to the club to decide whether they want to spend big.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
There's a bit of a chronic striker shortage in global football right now, and while I wouldnt rule out the possibility of Kane forcing a move this summer the numbers involved would be astronomical. As they would be for Haaland too of course, but he has a good few years on Kane so easier to digest.

If we can't get Haaland I honestly wouldn't have an issue with giving Greenwood a season to stake his claim. We all agree that there is a special player in there so it would be a gamble worth taking, as long as we can bring in Sancho or Raphina or somebody of that ilk to give him the right service

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No need to consider a swap, as I think Pogba is staying. Ole wouldn’t talk about ongoing contract talks if there was a legitimate chance Pogba was leaving. Juve’s finances have been hit hard and they need to sell.
That doesn't make sense, why would he only say contract talks are ongoing if its 100% he will stay? They've been ongoing for over a year and Raiola said Pogba is done. I think it's 70/30 Pogba goes but even if it's 50/50, that's still a big chance. Juve can't afford Pogba with hard cash but they can offer a star player of their own, which is why I can believe a Ronaldo swap situation with both clubs roughly even in wage bill by the end.

Widow

Dybala.

He can play RW, amc and upfront. Scores some loverly goals, has great vision and not happy with his playing time at Juventus

Giggsy13

Anyone else think signing Ronaldo would leave a bad taste in the mouth? The guy legged it the first chance he got, after comparing himself to a slave no less, gave 10 years of his peak to a (at that time) European rival and in the process cost us the chance to dominate Europe for 3-5 years. I’m convinced we’d have at least 2 more European cups, and who knows how many leagues in a row.

There’s a massive asterisk next to ‘United legend’ status in my opinion, and if we’re being honest he always seemed to have more affection for Fergie than United itself anyway. For him to come back here at 36 like none of that ever happened wouldn’t really sit right. It’s not quite Rooney returning to Everton at 34 with a beer gut, but is it the mark of an apparent ‘elite club’? We should be looking forwards, not back.
You can’t fault Ronaldo for wanting to play for Madrid. He’s Portuguese and his father supported the club. It’s not as if Ronaldo left for Madrid when they were at their peak either. They were miles behind Barca when he joined.

Ronaldo would have a massive impact on our young players and a 2 year move makes a lot of sense. Comparing it to Rooney returning to Everton is completely ignorant to the fact that Ronaldo is a machine, takes his health seriously and can probably play at a high level like
Zlatan has in his late 30s. Bring it on, a starting 11 including Ronaldo, Rash, Bruno and Pogba could challenge for the league presuming we strengthen at CB.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Ronaldo as another stopgap seems like the only option right now if Haaland isn't interested. We have a lot of striker talent in the youth teams, it would at least be a fantastic opportunity for them to learn from one of the greatest and give them the best chance of making it to the first team.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Wilfried Bony is out of contract, only 32 and a proven goalscorer in the Premier League.

I know there's the City link but if we can put our pride aside then we might bag a ready-made replacement.

Giggsy13

That doesn't make sense, why would he only say contract talks are ongoing if its 100% he will stay? They've been ongoing for over a year and Raiola said Pogba is done. I think it's 70/30 Pogba goes but even if it's 50/50, that's still a big chance. Juve can't afford Pogba with hard cash but they can offer a star player of their own, which is why I can believe a Ronaldo swap situation with both clubs roughly even in wage bill by the end.
Why would Ole show his hand and declare contract talks were ongoing if he didn’t think he was confident Pogba would stay? From a leverage standpoint it’s incredibly stupid.

Also look at the timing of Raiola’s comments, it was when Pogba was benched and not in the starting 11. There is method to Raiola’s style even though we dislike it and would rather not deal with it. He put the ball firmly in United’s court to decide what they want to do with Pogba. If United come back with a massive contract extension offer, you think Raiola would advise Pogba to turn that down? The agent fees get paid either way.

Infra-red

We can't afford Kane or Haaland, so those options are off the table for this summer.

Assuming Cavani leaves, we should, at the very least, get in a stop gap option. Martial has been in wretched form this season and going into next year with him and Greenwood as our only #9 options, would all but guarantee that our trophyless run continues.

mu4c_20le

We can't afford Kane or Haaland, so those options are off the table for this summer.
If we don't/can't sign them, it won't be a lack of money that's for sure. These are players that you bend over and make room for if there's even a chance.

Crashoutcassius

We won't be able to sign a replacement so we should probably extend cavani if we can. More likely that he stays than we actually get a top striker in

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why would Ole show his hand and declare contract talks were ongoing if he didn’t think he was confident Pogba would stay? From a leverage standpoint it’s incredibly stupid.

Also look at the timing of Raiola’s comments, it was when Pogba was benched and not in the starting 11. There is method to Raiola’s style even though we dislike it and would rather not deal with it. He put the ball firmly in United’s court to decide what they want to do with Pogba. If United come back with a massive contract extension offer, you think Raiola would advise Pogba to turn that down? The agent fees get paid either way.
He's not showing any hand, I don't get what you're insinuating. Saying contract talks are ongoing doesn't suggest he's staying or leaving. There's nothing to show.

Saying there's no contract talks on however, does show your hand, that it's over. So it makes sense to just say talks are on even if they aren't.

Rocknrolla69er

Can you rewrite the original post and write , what Cavani replacement can we sign that isn't a £100m plus transfer, no way Haaland moves this summer nobody can pay the fee, with matchday income well down, prem clubs paying back sky cash and Spanish clubs skint, clubs won't get around FFP rules. For the record Haaland is perfect for us just don't see it happening this season and hope we don't get tunnel vision and waste months chasing a lost cause

A lot mentioning Andre Silva, he looked a hot prospect in Portugal but then stalled slightly, seems to have picked it back up at Frankfurt, watching his goals, he certainley creates good space in the box, quite clever around the six yard box and makes runs ready for the winger delivering. Very intrigued about how much he d cost. Updated this is a quote from Silva "Asked to set his own price, the ex-Porto prodigy joked: “Around €105 million (£91m/$126m)?”
He added: “I’m kidding. I think I heard €30m (£26m/$36m) and something somewhere. When we sell our merchandise, we always increase the value a little bit."

For £26m that is a brilliant price

Gabriel Veron could be an interesting one too, reminds me of a young Ageuro. Definatley need our scouts to unearth a gem, Rashford, Martial and Greenwood just don't have that poachers instinct, a sticker that makes those little movements that result in goals in the area.

100% need a striker who will make an impact, with Greenwood as backup sharing the workload of games.

Martial can go, his times up.

Last edited:

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
https://www.patreon.com/posts/48966550

A good read. An article to show why we need Sancho first before Cavani‘s replacement or no 9. Well, I had the same view last summer why we needed Sancho. Beside, Sancho also capable to score goals. Similar to Bruno in term of both are creative player and have high number of goals and assists not just one of them.
Thanks for sharing that, a really great read.

On a very cynical note, you can see that Haaland is a very intelligent footballer, makes you wonder if Sancho's stats would be worse playing with Rashford and Greenwood as his number 9.

My personal belief is that Greenwood is utterly wasted playing the right of a three. Granted he naturally drifts to the right channel but I see him as our long term number 9.

Devil may care

1. Shockingly manage to sign Haaland.
2. Take a punt on Andre Silva and hope it doesn't become a Jovic situation.
3. Hope Mason can step up as the long term #9.
4. Buy another cheap, mediocre stop-gap like Ings.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Think he'd be a cracking signing tbh in the region of around 10mil. Albeit he's not someone I'd expect to come in as a starter.
His game link up and ball hold up play is really good but I doubt we’d get him for £10m though as Rangers turned down €17m euros for him last summer. Decent shout though. Odsonne Eduard of Celtic is another good forward. We really should look to exploit the Scottish market some good players in there.

LiamMillerBC

So with the rumours lately, and oles quotes on him not sounding great - it’s fair to assume he’s off at the end of the season.

who would be a good replacement?

I think we all know the clear number 1 target is Haaland, but that won’t be easy. Who else is a realistic target that can come in and do a job instantly.

Its a real shame Cavani isn't working out. Hopefully he gets a good run of form before the end of season, if we in a couple trophies his mind could be changed I think. We need someone with real quality who can lead the way for the youth behind.

Andre Silva could be a good option. Would also provide some good linkup with Bruno and in a price range our owners would entertain.

Haaland is a dream obviously . Unfortunately it likely won't happen unless Ole is working some black magic feckery behind the scenes.

Benzema could be a realistic fit in our team and could be some good linkup with our current french players.

Wheato

We just took out a 60m loan to pay some bills!!

We are not splashing out 120 - 150m on anyone this summer. Be it Haaland or Kane. It is not happening.

davidmichael

It's actually not a bad shout, provided he'd be okay with not being a guaranteed first choice. But I think he's off to Barca if Koeman stays in charge.
Barca are after Aguero to make Messi happy and apparently doing all the can to finance Haaland, since Laporta was elected everything has gone dead quiet on all links for Depay to Barca. They’re linked to Garcia, Alaba, Wilnajdum, Aguero and Haaland but with Messi, Griezmann, Ansi, Trincao and even though they’d like to move him on Coutinho is still there so I don’t see Depay as a option for them now which means we’d get a good run at him.

Infra-red

Barca are after Aguero to make Messi happy and apparently doing all the can to finance Haaland, since Laporta was elected everything has gone dead quiet on all links for Depay to Barca. They’re linked to Garcia, Alaba, Wilnajdum, Aguero and Haaland but with Messi, Griezmann, Ansi, Trincao and even though they’d like to move him on Coutinho is still there so I don’t see Depay as a option for them now which means we’d get a good run at him.
Depay on a free transfer wouldn't be the worst option, given how tight funds will be this summer. Of all the players in Europe's top 5 leagues this season, Depay has the highest xA (Bruno is 2nd).

davidmichael

Depay on a free transfer wouldn't be the worst option, given how tight funds will be this summer. Of all the players in Europe's top 5 leagues this season, Depay has the highest xA (Bruno is 2nd).
We could sort out a centre back (Milenkovic) and a forward (Depay) for a combined £20 million if we’re lucky which leaves proper money for Sancho and a defensive midfielder.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Thanks for sharing that, a really great read.

On a very cynical note, you can see that Haaland is a very intelligent footballer, makes you wonder if Sancho's stats would be worse playing with Rashford and Greenwood as his number 9.

My personal belief is that Greenwood is utterly wasted playing the right of a three. Granted he naturally drifts to the right channel but I see him as our long term number 9.
Well, Haaland only joined Dortmund in January of last season, his first debut is 18th January 2020.

First half of last season without Haaland, Sancho scored 9 goals and 10 assists in 13 bundes liga games more than 45 minutes with only 2 games under 45 minutes. 2 goals and 2 assists in 5 UCL starts and 1 sub during the group stage. So his number is pretty high even before haaland joined.

I think just to add extra note here, Sancho also capable to score goals, Bruno also capable to score goals not just Rashford, Greenwood or Martial. So our team have good number options for goalscorer just not enough option for assist provider or creator. I think the question is which one we need more and we can hold for another season right now, I would Sancho is the one we need more.