Cavani replacement

Ekeke

Doubt we go with a huge superstar signing for our striker, I think we made our intentions clear when we went for Cavani - a short term holdover and were looking for a winger instead. Greenwood wont be impeded by someone like Haaland signing.

I think we'll go for someone more like Andre Silva who is having a good goalscoring season but isnt so good that Greenwood wouldnt get in if hes playing well and scoring goals. And in that scenario Silva could be rotated and rested with him

Bondi77

Danny Ings would be a good fit as he scores goals and is a sound technical footballer.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Danny Ings would be a good fit as he scores goals and is a sound technical footballer.
100%. I was crticised for saying it before but he's a very good footballer and has a great finish on him. He's capable of all types of goals and plugs in well around nimble quick players too in a complimentary manner. He would offer a good dimension to any attack but his only issue is fitness.

If skysports are to be believed, he's being eyed up by City too https://www.skysports.com/football/...ergio-agueros-potential-successor-this-summer

Sparky Rhiwabon

With Haaland going to City, I can see Ed going for Ronaldo to compete in the eyes of fans, as “big signing”. Another end of career stopgap to follow Ibra and replace Cavani

Bondi77

100%. I was crticised for saying it before but he's a very good footballer and has a great finish on him. He's capable of all types of goals and plugs in well around nimble quick players too in a complimentary manner. He would offer a good dimension to any attack but his only issue is fitness.

If skysports are to be believed, he's being eyed up by City too https://www.skysports.com/football/...ergio-agueros-potential-successor-this-summer
It would not surprise me as I think he could easily fit into a Pep team.

Bondi77

I wouldn’t object to a move for Luka Jovic if the price is right as some players just suit certain leagues and he is young enough and may be a good fit in England, he reminds me a little of Adriano with that lazy swagger.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
With Haaland going to City, I can see Ed going for Ronaldo to compete in the eyes of fans, as “big signing”. Another end of career stopgap to follow Ibra and replace Cavani
If United do this, I think it would be a huge mistake. Juventus have not improved since Ronaldo joined them, in fact they have gone backwards, that's certainly not all on Ronaldo, but having him in a team completely changes the way you play, he's a fantastic player still and scores goals of course, but if you want to play a pressing game with a high line, Ronaldo doesn't fit into that. Your press goes down and the tracking back by other forwards has to go up. It also means that suddenly the majority of your play goes through him, generally cutting in from the left.

I think resigning Ronaldo would turn your team development on its head and could also mess up the relatively calm dressing room you seem to have right now. Much better to try and keep Cavani, if you can of course, sign Haaland. But I really want to see a front 3 of Sancho, Greenwood and Rashford bed in, if Ole can get that firing at club level it would be fantastic for England for years to come.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Think that we will have no one as replacement for Cavani.

Don't think our budget will be as huge as usual (around 150M max usually)

Think that the club and Ole will rely and his usual Martial, with Greenwood and Rashford as back ups.

I hope that we will strengthen right wing and central defense rather than spending a huge fee on a striker.

Also, I wouldn't be again a lower class striker on loan, like we did for Ighalo

AKDevil

Doubt we go with a huge superstar signing for our striker, I think we made our intentions clear when we went for Cavani - a short term holdover and were looking for a winger instead. Greenwood wont be impeded by someone like Haaland signing.

I think we'll go for someone more like Andre Silva who is having a good goalscoring season but isnt so good that Greenwood wouldnt get in if hes playing well and scoring goals. And in that scenario Silva could be rotated and rested with him

remember thinking Portugal finally had a striker when this guy emerged but AC Milan spell concerns me a bit. A lot of pens in there too and not getting those of Bruno. Ivan Toney intrigues more than he probably should and Ings a good shout though fitness record not the best.

Ekeke

remember thinking Portugal finally had a striker when this guy emerged but AC Milan spell concerns me a bit. A lot of pens in there too and not getting those of Bruno. Ivan Toney intrigues more than he probably should and Ings a good shout though fitness record not the best.
Yeah same, always liked him but he wasnt scoring enough goals until this season. Now hes scoring goals. Get him chances in the box and he'll stick some away. Not the best striker in the world so Greenwood has no chance of starting

youngrell

Needs to be a top class striker like Haaland for me, no more stop gaps.

I don't care for blocking other's paths either, there's plenty of game time to go around and most of our forwards are flexible positionally to some degree, but we absolutely need a focal point for 80-90% of the time. In the limited time where Cavani has played (and played well) he has shown us the difference it makes. It would stop us running players like Rashford into the ground too if he has to share his pitch time with Martial, Greenwood etc.

If Haaland (or similar) is unattainable, then a world class right wing is the next best thing, as I think with equal effectiveness from both flanks will help Greenwood, Martial or whoever is central to improve/shine.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Think that we will have no one as replacement for Cavani.

Don't think our budget will be as huge as usual (around 150M max usually)

Think that the club and Ole will rely and his usual Martial, with Greenwood and Rashford as back ups.

I hope that we will strengthen right wing and central defense rather than spending a huge fee on a striker.

Also, I wouldn't be again a lower class striker on loan, like we did for Ighalo
Bloody hell, I’d forgotten about Ighalo. Ibra, Ighalo, Cavani. Probably Ronaldo next, then maybe Lewa when Bayern have finished with him. Stopgap United.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm sure Cavani misses home and his dad misses him... Just like in his PSG days.
He's here for the money. Nothing has changed.

Sign him up for another year. Get Haaland and sell the statue instead.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I don't think we should go for another striker considering we won't be able to get many players. We play a system with one striker, and we have 3 good ones, Martial, Mason and Rashford. I'd rather we went for wingers, so they can play as strikers.

Eli Zee

If we can’t get Haaland is it really worth spending £60/70 million on someone like Calvert Lewin? It’s a point of diminishing returns with any of these other expensive options.

We’d be much better off investing that type of money in a RW like Sancho who would have far more of an impact on our overall attacking play.

Maybe someone me like Ings if we were able to get him on a cheap deal. Only a year left on his deal in the summer.
I think no matter what we need a new striker. Who do we have if not cavani? Martial isn't cutting it, in my opinion. Greenwood is young and has more PL experience as a RW than a ST at this point. We can't go into another season so weak in attack.

the only other option would be play Bruno as a false 9 and buy a RW and CAM... but that seems a bit far fetched.

croadyman

I don't think we should go for another striker considering we won't be able to get many players. We play a system with one striker, and we have 3 good ones, Martial, Mason and Rashford. I'd rather we went for wingers, so they can play as strikers.
Yeah I would rather we sign a proper RW creator and a quick CB, absolutely zero point whatsoever in mentioning a CDM because the club doesn't seem to see any issue there which I still find absolutely staggering

AgentSmith

I think no matter what we need a new striker. Who do we have if not cavani? Martial isn't cutting it, in my opinion. Greenwood is young and has more PL experience as a RW than a ST at this point. We can't go into another season so weak in attack.

the only other option would be play Bruno as a false 9 and buy a RW and CAM... but that seems a bit far fetched.
Who would you like as an option?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Outside of Halland and Kane, the one who catches my eye is Ivan Toney. 28 goals and 9 assists for Brentford so far this year. He's big, strong, has good movement and is a beast in the air. Plus he just turned 25 so he's at a good age...

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
People think we'll get either Sancho or Haaland?

Oh, you sweet summer children.
We have a chance at Sancho... it's mindboggling how anyone can think we have even a sniff at Haaland. He won't consider us no matter how much that may hurt.

We need a striker though so they better be not in the same mindset as some on the CAF. It really can't be that difficult to upgrade on Martial, we just need a competent striker. We have goals from Rashford and Fernandes and hopefully a new RW.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Well, Haaland only joined Dortmund in January of last season, his first debut is 18th January 2020.

First half of last season without Haaland, Sancho scored 9 goals and 10 assists in 13 bundes liga games more than 45 minutes with only 2 games under 45 minutes. 2 goals and 2 assists in 5 UCL starts and 1 sub during the group stage. So his number is pretty high even before haaland joined.

I think just to add extra note here, Sancho also capable to score goals, Bruno also capable to score goals not just Rashford, Greenwood or Martial. So our team have good number options for goalscorer just not enough option for assist provider or creator. I think the question is which one we need more and we can hold for another season right now, I would Sancho is the one we need more.
Agree with your point. Shut down Bruno and Pogba out of the team there is no creative outlet

Longshanks

We have to go for haaland, if we dont get haaland I'd be testing the waters with kane but I would imagine Levy would make that very difficult for us.

Calvert-lewin is a possibility would probably be overpriced though and I'm not sure he is quite good enough for us but would have a good re-sale if not.

Danny ings is a no from me, he is definitely not of the required quality and is tainted goods looks good in an average side.

CR7 is also no, we dont need a stop gap signing it would be a nice fairytale but that ship has sailed now.

If we are going to sign someone from overseas than I would say that they have to be absolute top quality someone that will hit the ground running not someone that may take a season or so to adjust to the PL and dealing with the pressure of playing for us.

This is a vital signing, a CF and a DM are the two most important signings this summer IMO got to get quality in to those positions.

arthurka

I think we shouldn't even try to keep him longer. Get a fresh good replacement in his place.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
If we sign Sancho then we no longer have to use Greenwood out wide on the right so that’d mean Martial and Greenwood as central strikers, personally I’d look into re-signing Depay as he’s a lot better than when he was when we had him and he offers depth through the middle as well as on the left and as a free transfer we’d save money as I doubt he’d want as much as Cavani is on.
Martial has proved time and again that he isn't fit to be a Central Striker for United. His off the ball movement sucks.

MZX7

• Calvert-Lewin would be north of £80m.

Ings is a very good shout, however. Still only 28, premier league proven, good all-rounder who would get us 20 goals a season I reckon. And affordable.
    It'll be fun if we buy Timo Werner for super cheap and he ends up scoring 30+ goals next season for us. :lol:

MZX7

Definitely not Ronaldo, he's the wrong age, cost way too much in wages, will put others out as he takes all free kicks and he doesn't track back, Haaland if not Sancho, keep Cavani another season,
If Pogba stays he has been used on the left so Rashford can also rotate as a striker
Just thought perhaps we could raid Spurs for Son?
The Pogba Dilemma is the most worrying thing coming up in the summer. I really hope talks are in progress to bind him down with another contract. One of the clauses in the contract should be that he should change his agent. :rolleyes:

SAF is the GOAT

If Cavani is off to South America next season we're screwed!

With the current stage of our forwards -I don't see us challenging for the top 4.

maximus419

An unpopular decision but I would like to see Bamford as a potential. I'm sure he could be signed for a relatively decent sum of money and would jump at the chance to play CL.

Proved he can score in the PL, got great attributes to lead the line. Pretty versatile as well and something different to what we have. A good aerial presence and good strength, we could really do with that type of striker anyway.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Just sign Sancho and show us what was Ole's original plan last summer. We can hold on another season without world class no 9 as we already have enough goal scorers Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, Bruno & Sancho (if he comes) in the squad. What we are lacking is creator/assist provider.