Cavani replacement

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
An unpopular decision but I would like to see Bamford as a potential. I'm sure he could be signed for a relatively decent sum of money and would jump at the chance to play CL.

Proved he can score in the PL, got great attributes to lead the line. Pretty versatile as well and something different to what we have. A good aerial presence and good strength, we could really do with that type of striker anyway.
He repeatedly misses tonnes of chances. No chance.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Hughill?
Martial (or a replacement... hopefully ) to lead the line
Rashford or Greenwood as backup
Hughill to step up from the u23 when we need to rotate a striker (league Cup... dead European legs etc)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Just sign Sancho and show us what was Ole's original plan last summer. We can hold on another season without world class no 9 as we already have enough goal scorers Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, Bruno & Sancho (if he comes) in the squad. What we are lacking is creator/assist provider.
I fear that Ole settled for Cavani (cheap short term buy) because he genuinely thought that we'll get Sancho. I won't be surprised if he wanted blow next summer's entire budget on a striker and a CB. If it was for me I would go all on for Haaland and hope that Greenwood would return to his best as RW with Diallo settling down. If that isn't possible then we might add a striker on the cheap and bring in a top RW.

SAF is the GOAT

I like Cavani, but he's scored six premier goals, let's not get hysterical about his likely departure.
You probably right but if we'll rely only on them without any regular substitutes, we'll probably "die on that sword".

Edinson is taking the focus and pressure off of them on and off the field.

Infra-red

Just sign Sancho and show us what was Ole's original plan last summer. We can hold on another season without world class no 9 as we already have enough goal scorers Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, Bruno & Sancho (if he comes) in the squad. What we are lacking is creator/assist provider.
I think he might be headed elsewhere (Liverpool).

Tallis

With such a dearth of No 9s, I was just trying to be whimsical and see if there was a forward or AM who could play in the role.

cyril C

A thousand times yes.
Putting the joke aside, Aguero must be our biggest miss since RVN. And I would put Lewandoski as well. Way better than Tevez, RVN and so on.

having said that, what is past is past. Better looking forward, for someone younger of course.

mikel

Putting the joke aside, Aguero must be our biggest miss since RVN. And I would put Lewandoski as well. Way better than Tevez, RVN and so on.

having said that, what is past is past. Better looking forward, for someone younger of course.
In a perfect world I agree with you 100%. But the need for a top level striker is so great and of the players that might be available Aguero looks like the surest thing. They need immediate help, not someone developing (Rashford, Greenwood). Aguero is 2 years younger than Cavani. I wouldn't mind Aguero starting up front with Cavani to eat some minutes and preserve Aguero's legs. Would Aguero up front take some pressure off Greenwood and Rashford and let them get back in the groove? Whether or not he would come to Man Utd from City is, of course, an entirely different question.

Red_toad

In a perfect world I agree with you 100%. But the need for a top level striker is so great and of the players that might be available Aguero looks like the surest thing. They need immediate help, not someone developing (Rashford, Greenwood). Aguero is 2 years younger than Cavani. I wouldn't mind Aguero starting up front with Cavani to eat some minutes and preserve Aguero's legs. Would Aguero up front take some pressure off Greenwood and Rashford and let them get back in the groove? Whether or not he would come to Man Utd from City is, of course, an entirely different question.
No he wouldn't join United and his injury issues 'should' rule us out of considering any such deal.

Trex

Liverpool won the league last season without a prolific centre forward, city are doing the same this seasons, it's be proven you can win the league without one, there are just two guys out there good enough, Kane and Haaland. Haaland is just to costly, plus he has a lousy agent. Kane I don't see coming here as we don't guarantee him trophies + the cost would be enormous. One thing is sure the club won't be breaking its transfer record during the current economic conditions. Shouldn't we go down the other root invest in other positions like right winger, dm, cb. Give Greenwood a chance to stake a claim.

City not renewing Aguero’s contract shows the ruthlessness of winners. He’s only 32, can imagine at United we’d have given him an extension and called it a win.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Definitely not Ronaldo, he's the wrong age, cost way too much in wages, will put others out as he takes all free kicks and he doesn't track back, Haaland if not Sancho, keep Cavani another season,
If Pogba stays he has been used on the left so Rashford can also rotate as a striker
Just thought perhaps we could raid Spurs for Son?
This isn't very rational, but if Ronaldo said he wants to come back to end his playing days here, I'm throwing the sink and Ed at him.

Football is largely about emotion and romance and having one of your greats back is absolutely worth trashing the clubs budget for a couple years. At least it is for me.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
City not renewing Aguero’s contract shows the ruthlessness of winners. He’s only 32, can imagine at United we’d have given him an extension and called it a win.
Agüero has scored 1 goal in 14 months and is surplus to requirements.

1) Man C DID offer him a new deal with a paycut he chose not to accept. I somehow also don't believe that even the brass at United would have given a 32 year old forward a massive bumper contract when you've been out for so long.
2) Man C will erect a statue of him outside the Ethiad

3) I'm 99% sure that he's taking this one and only opportunity to play football with his best friend in Barcelona. Here's him calling Leo while streaming GTA because why not

TheReligion

Abusive
If that's how you choose to look at it.

I'm quite happy with the heritage and ethos we have at United. Wouldn't swap it with city's ethics for the world thanks.

If that's how you choose to look at it.

I'm quite happy with the heritage and ethos we have at United. Wouldn't swap it with city's ethics for the world thanks.
You do realise if Aguero played for any other club he’d likely be Cavani’s replacement, under our current ethos.

DSG

I fear that Ole settled for Cavani (cheap short term buy) because he genuinely thought that we'll get Sancho. I won't be surprised if he wanted blow next summer's entire budget on a striker and a CB. If it was for me I would go all on for Haaland and hope that Greenwood would return to his best as RW with Diallo settling down. If that isn't possible then we might add a striker on the cheap and bring in a top RW.
100% agree with this.

Actually, the thread should be about Martial’s replacement IMHO.

he’s scored one PL goal in a year, doesn’t play even when fit.

it’s not ruthless at all. Furthermore, it’s appears to be his decision to leave, and not the club.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Hasn't Ronaldo scored like 30 goals this season? Not bad for someone who's 'finished', another wonderful take by Schmeichel's Cartwheel.
23 goals in 24 Serie A appearances. 30 in 34 apps for all comps.

Not a long term solution but if we're going to wait out on Kane or Haaland I don't see it as a terrible idea, because no club will stump a huge cash offer for Pogba.

TrustInOle

I'm just gonna say it, Danny Ings would bang the goals in for this side. But I am recently on the side that Martial can't stay as our number 9 so I would definatley be looking at people with alot more pedigree than Ings, but he would be a perfect Cavani replacement if we had a solid number 9.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm just gonna say it, Danny Ings would bang the goals in for this side. But I am recently on the side that Martial can't stay as our number 9 so I would definatley be looking at people with alot more pedigree than Ings, but he would be a perfect Cavani replacement if we had a solid number 9.
He'd actually be my first realistic choice if he didn't have another onset of injuries this season :(

TrustInOle

He'd actually be my first realistic choice if he didn't have another onset of injuries this season :(
This is indeed a recurrence I would not like us to repeat with future signings. Such an adept finished in the box though and reasonably gettable. :(

Go and support city if you're that concerned
Unlike you, I didn’t decide to support United and not something I’m able to just change. But please tell me how does this choosing who you support thing work? How do you go about changing ? Who did you support before United, what made you leave them and choose United?

TheReligion

Abusive
He’s quality and still is, but that mentality is why United are forever “rebuilding” while when he leaves City, City will have no one left from the squad that won the league in 2012.
You don't think that has anything to do with the fact they have unlimited amounts of money and have been breaching FFP for years?

Pep has spent over £500m on defenders and goalkeepers alone since he's been there.

Unfortunately United are a club that must spend within its means.

You don't think that has anything to do with the fact they have unlimited amounts of money and have been breaching FFP for years?

Pep has spent over £500m on defenders and goalkeepers alone since he's been there.

Unfortunately United are a club that must spend within its means.
Net Spend Since Pep arrived.

2016-17:
Man Utd – £123.9m
Man City – £161.7m

2017-18:
Man Utd – £137.6m
Man City – £203.5m

2018-19:
Man Utd – £46.9m
Man City – £18.9m

2019-20:
Man Utd – £120.2m
Man City – £88m

2020-21:
Man Utd – £61.6m
Man City – £91.5m

United £490.20
City £563.60

Since Pep has arrived our spending within our means vs that of City spending “unlimited money” is very close, I’d imagine it would only look even closer if we were to compare our rivals in the prem and Europe.

Over the past 10 years City have outspent us by £150, when you consider they’ve spent just over £1b and we’ve spent £900m I’m pretty other clubs view us and city’s spending as in the same league.

Caesar2290

Net Spend Since Pep arrived.

2016-17:
Man Utd – £123.9m
Man City – £161.7m

2017-18:
Man Utd – £137.6m
Man City – £203.5m

2018-19:
Man Utd – £46.9m
Man City – £18.9m

2019-20:
Man Utd – £120.2m
Man City – £88m

2020-21:
Man Utd – £61.6m
Man City – £91.5m

United £490.20
City £563.60

Since Pep has arrived our spending within our means vs that of City spending “unlimited money” is very close, I’d imagine it would only look even closer if we were to compare our rivals in the prem and Europe.

Over the past 10 years City have outspent us by £150, when you consider they’ve spent just over £1b and we’ve spent £900m I’m pretty other clubs view us and city’s spending as in the same league.
That's a super simplistic way of looking at things or apples and oranges as they say. Pep already had his core team ready: Silva, Kompany, Aguero, KDB, Sterling, etc etc He was simply adding the right players to his system.

United on the other had where coming out of one rebuild started by Mourinho and then started another one under Ole. We are literally building a team from scratch. While City are just adding quality.

A more comparable thing would be if the 2007/08 Utd team had a similar net spent after winning the Double. Makes you think of what we could have achieved back then.

Wewinsoon

That's a super simplistic way of looking at things or apples and oranges as they say. Pep already had his core team ready: Silva, Kompany, Aguero, KDB, Sterling, etc etc He was simply adding the right players to his system.

United on the other had where coming out of one rebuild started by Mourinho and then started another one under Ole. We are literally building a team from scratch. While City are just adding quality.

A more comparable thing would be if the 2007/08 Utd team had a similar net spent after winning the Double. Makes you think of what we could have achieved back then.
Did mourinho do a rebulld, would say only van gaal did Even if it failed. And ofcource Ole even if he need time and better buys instead of overpay or player he don't like?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I wouldn't be against given Sergio Aguero a short-term deal: a year with another year if either side want it. I think he still has goal in him. Of course, I'd think differently if we signed Halaand but I just don't see than happening any more. Ole had his chance - given the Molde connection - and the player opted top go elsewhere. Aguero won't have forgotten how to score goals just like Zlatan didn't (and to a lesser extent Cavani)

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I wouldn't be against given Sergio Aguero a short-term deal: a year with another year if either side want it. I think he still has goal in him. Of course, I'd think differently if we signed Halaand but I just don't see than happening any more. Ole had his chance - given the Molde connection - and the player opted top go elsewhere. Aguero won't have forgotten how to score goals just like Zlatan didn't (and to a lesser extent Cavani)
He won’t have forgotten how to get injured again, that’s for sure. To a greater extent than Cavani has.

I’d rather our summer striker signing be someone we can physically rely upon — i.e. not Cavani, Aguero, ... or Danny Ings(?).