Cavani signs new contract

Ranchero

I want to cry, this is such good news. There is no way we will get Kane or Haaland. Forget that.
But he is undoubtedly still world class.

redrobed

Sky Sports reporting it already. They are absolutely obsessed with us.

Devil81

I want to cry, this is such good news. There is no way we will get Kane or Haaland. Forget that.
But he is undoubtedly still world class.
Thats a bit dramatic.

It's brilliant news I agree, we wouldn't sign either of those strikers for different reasons.

Cavani is still class and is key to the development of Greenwood now.

Ranchero

Do you call Martial a striker?
I
No
Aw man, i thought he was deffo going back to South America because Ole clearly wasnt confident. He would not stay if he didnt want to. We did have a year option but we wouldn't have kept him to that of he wanted to go back. That interview shows the man's class. I think i love him more than Bruno.
When the fans are back...instant hero worship. We need a song.

Nick7

I
No

Aw man, i thought he was deffo going back to South America because Ole clearly wasnt confident. He would not stay if he didnt want to. We did have a year option but we wouldn't have kept him to that of he wanted to go back. That interview shows the man's class. I think i love him more than Bruno.
When the fans are back...instant hero worship. We need a song.
He has one. There’s a video of him singing it.

Heinzesight

I just love this guy. You get these type of contract extension interviews and they are usually pretty mundane but he looks like a little kid who’s just signed for United...he looks genuinely happy to be here. Gets better every game too.

Ranchero

Thats a bit dramatic.

It's brilliant news I agree, we wouldn't sign either of those strikers for different reasons.

Cavani is still class and is key to the development of Greenwood now.
Bad few days and this news was like a great big comfort blanket. Kane and Haaland don't represent good value. We could do with Pogba putting pen to paper.

Walters_19_MuFc

Do you call Martial a striker?
Yeah. He's the lad who scored 17 league goals for us last season. Remember him?

As Neville alluded to on Sky Sports earlier, apart from Cavani, we haven't really got what you would call an out-and-out striker but then neither have City (other than Aguero, who hasn't played much). In Martial, Greenwood, Bruno, Rashford, and Pogba, what we have got, is quite a few goals across the board. Possibly Sancho added to that list too, which, in my opinion, is up there with the best, in terms of attacking options.

Last edited:

Ranchero

I just love this guy. You get these type of contract extension interviews and they are usually pretty mundane but he looks like a little kid who’s just signed for United...he looks genuinely happy to be here. Gets better every game too.
Yeah. I mean a tough decision for him. Not easy during Covid when his family is elsewhere. We not only get a genuine still world class striker but a real leader. And by god dont we need characters like that. Not often i have been chuffed by a signing but getting this deal done is such good news. I think it is mere coincidence that Woodward isnt around

Ranchero

Move Martial on and bring in a proper striker.

Cavani has shown how good we are with a proper striker, but he can't play 50+ games.
A player of his age needs to play regularly and he will. The only question will be injury. But as long as he is fit we have a top class performer both with end product and his influence on all around him

A player of his age needs to play regularly and he will. The only question will be injury. But as long as he is fit we have a top class performer both with end product and his influence on all around him
Cavani won't be playing 50+ games, that is guaranteed. He needs to be managed to stay fit.

During the games he doesn't play I want United to play another Striker not revert to having a depressed winger up front.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
What a signing he’s turning out to be. He’s been top class for us. I’m delighted more than most because with him being a CF it actually means we can spend money on Sancho and a CB. We’re only getting two players in the summer in my view.

Oranges038

Great that he's staying another year.

Should have signed him from Napoli.

croadyman

What a signing he’s turning out to be. He’s been top class for us. I’m delighted more than most because with him being a CF it actually means we can spend money on Sancho and a CB. We’re only getting two players in the summer in my view.
So you don't see a CDM as any possibility at all then

croadyman

Great that he's staying another year.

Should have signed him from Napoli.
Yeah in hindsight we should have but just chuffed he will have worn this shirt for two seasons as have been a fan for years and even picked him in a couple of my World Cup FF teams in the past as well

Ranchero

Looking at the extended interview brings a tear to the eye. Quite candid and touching comments about how hard the decision was due to family in Uruguay but he has been clearly touched by the response he has received from the fans...and a tribute song which he tried to sing. Also he says the players paid a part. A must watch

croadyman

Looking at the extended interview brings a tear to the eye. Quite candid about how hard the decision was due to family in Uruguay but he has been clearly touched by the response he has received from the fans...and a tribute song which he tried to sing. A must watch
There is a clip of it in the Player Performances thread

My only Eric

Whatever song is decided on must contain the words "gracias negrito".

Just to make some FA suits and sky pundits go grey with anger.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The whole 8m odd is on mutv. Brings a lump to the throat. Love the fact the kit man sung him our Cavani song to the tune of Gimme Gimme by Abba.
Yeah just watched it like 20mins ago. Awesome interview and what a great, humble guy. Even a player like Cavani who's done it all, says it's a dream and he can't wait to play in front of a packed Old Trafford.

"the fact that I can play in front of a packed house at Old Trafford, it is, to be honest, a dream and something marvellous when it actually comes true. It is something that you really want to experience, to really live and enjoy."

Fecking love that guy.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah just watched it like 20mins ago. Awesome interview and what a great, humble guy. Even a player like Cavani who's done it all, says it's a dream and he can't wait to play in front of a packed Old Trafford.

"the fact that I can play in front of a packed house at Old Trafford, it is, to be honest, a dream and something marvellous when it actually comes true. It is something that you really want to experience, to really live and enjoy."

Fecking love that guy.
He's great. Can't wait for him to get his wish and have the Stretford End belting his song out next season.

I'm desperate for us to win the UEFA cup and finish with silverware this term.

Ibi Dreams

Brilliant, brilliant news. Another year of a fantastic number 9 and another year to figure out our replacement for him

Ibi Dreams

As for a song

To the tune of Yes Sir I Can Boogie -

Oh Edin son Cavani
He's United all day long
Oh Edin son Cavani
All day long

Lyrics could use work but it fits the hook!

jesperjaap

Good news all round and he comes across well in his interview too have to say.

Its only one season here and no a huge amount of games, but he deserves to play in front of a packed stadium here

As I said when we signed him, old or not, when he plays he is one of the top 5 strikers in the premiership

If he left almost a necessity for us to be spending somewhere between £60-150 for a decent to excellent proper centre forward...and with us needing to strengthen a few areas, that would have been most of our budget gone

I just hope he can retain his fitness and level of performance next season. He isnt super quick, his goals are all about excellent mvoement.....but what hasnt been mentioned so much....he works so hard for the team as well, that as much as anything is where he needs the fitness