Edinson Cavani - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal&hyde

He wasn't, but I still think his time here has been romanticised a lot. God he was wasteful in front of goal, just ridiculously wasteful. Wouldn't have much confidence in Cavani having anywhere close to the impact either.
He would be backup to Martial and Ighalo leaves in Jan. Would much prefer this then spending 40mil on Joshua King or someone similar.

Red_toad

Not good enough for PSG, apparently that means he’s good enough for United! Jeez some fans are off their rockers...

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If we have those kind of wages to throw around, there has to be better things we can be doing with that money.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Not really, Falcao was brought in as a starter whereas Cavani will know he's going to be the rotation option. Ighalo's leaving in January anyway and has barely kicked a football since March.
huge wages on a back up striker, no thanks

Plus I dont think cavani would be happy being used as a sub player like Ighalo.

big rons sovereign

Ffs, Woodward being Woodward again. We need reinforcements all over the pitch so he signs a knackered South American with no knees.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Wouldn't mind him on loan but we seem to just do things in the market. We needed genuinely excellent players to take us up a level or two this summer, not stop gap solutions to help us just about manage 4th.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
True, although I was talking more generally about us always leaving it late before waking up. Someone should tell Ed the window actually closes in June, then he might get his arse in gear.
Oh I'm just accustomed to our shit planning now. I come to expect it.

The Original

Wouldn't mind him on loan but we seem to just do things in the market. We needed genuinely excellent players to take us up a level or two this summer, not stop gap solutions to help us just about manage 4th.
Can't you appreciate that one must walk before they fly? This is a long term project, and money, unfortunately, happens to be in short supply. I can imagine that the plan is to make the big money signing, Sancho, and paper over the cracks till next season when other positions can be addressed with more conviction.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
huge wages on a back up striker, no thanks

Plus I dont think cavani would be happy being used as a sub player like Ighalo.
For a year? It think it's smart business, that way if he doesn't work out we're not struggling to get rid of him.

If Cavani isn't going to be happy playing a lesser role then he won't join, if he does join then he'll know exactly what role he's going to be playing. If he thinks he can oust Martial then that's even better, it'll stop Martial getting too comfortable. We can't just never sign a player over 30 ever again, Cavani's got a wealth of experience that we've been lacking since Ibrahimovic left, Martial could learn a lot from having someone like Cavani in the side.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Cavani is the exact opposite of a transfer that we've been going for under Ole typically so I'm calling absolute BS. His age and fitness record is a huge risk even on a free as his wages will be ridiculous. He would have been a Jose signing for sure though.

Oh and doesn't Romano work for Di Marzio too? <runs away before the backlash comes> :)

El Zoido

Pretty pathetic how easily our fanbase is riled up over obviously-fake stories.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Firstly. feck yes he would be a brilliant option to have for us.

Has experience, a great mentality, brilliant movement and a selfless player. Height and physicality on paper for Telles would be so great knocking balls into him too.

That said, does Di Marzio say he's in talks with us? He just tagged us randomly.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Pretty pathetic how easily our fanbase is riled up over obviously-fake stories.
Agreed.

Ole so far has gone for home grown players or players from abroad who still have improvement potential. Signing a 34yr old with dodgy knees on huge wages doesn't sound like an Ole type deal does it?

But let's remember guys this is Di Marzio. Romano's boss. They don't make stuff up right? <runs away again>

:)

Okey

Has BS story written all over it. But in the real world, if he halves his wages like Suarez did, and accepts he'll be nothing more than a back up (he's close to retirement so can't imagine he'll expect different), might be a great signing for striker back up. The Milik pursuit (another BS story?) would be the much more rational/sensible approach though.

Devil81

I'd be happy if we got Cavani on a short term deal given the options we have upfront.

Idxomer

We're gonna see a lot of made-up stories the next few days till the window closes.

GlasgowCeltic

Has BS story written all over it. But in the real world, if he halves his wages like Suarez did, and accepts he'll be nothing more than a back up (he's close to retirement so can't imagine he'll expect different), might be a great signing for striker back up. The Milik pursuit (another BS story?) would be the much more rational/sensible approach though.
I’m sure in his own mind he’ll believe he’s still undoubtably a better striker and goal scorer than Martial

poleglass red

I call a severe case of bollicks in regards to this "link"
I'd be all over having a new striker to come in and challenge Martial, but it isn't this chap.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Wanted him, saw his injury record and its very poor.

For the wages he will demand, his injury record this won't end well.

SATA

Silly signing. We might as well go for Diego Costa if we want such a striker. At least his knees aren’t fecked and he knows the PL

DarkXaero

Cavani's issue has been staying fit over the last couple seasons, but he's still a very good player when healthy. Obviously, that's a huge question mark (fitness). That being said, I don't see a big risk in signing Cavani on a 1 + 1 deal (2nd year team option). He could be a great backup and potentially even a really good starter.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ighalo may as well head to Dubai on a long holiday if this happens.

CM

How good is Cavani these days? I thought I'd heard his performances had fallen off a cliff for PSG.

If he could come here and play a similar sort of role as Giroud does for Chelsea I wouldn't be against it. Ighalo has outlived his purpose.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I call a severe case of bollicks in regards to this "link"
I'd be all over having a new striker to come in and challenge Martial, but it isn't this chap.
Same here. Could be more possible to go after Jović and unlock his potential. It's definitely sounds more like Ole's way in United.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Would absolutely love Jovic here. Despite his struggles at Madrid, I think he's going to be a star for a big team, has a lot of talent.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I'd take Jovic. No shame in things not working out at Real - it's happened to better players who went on to have fantastic careers.

Cavani is finished though.

AaronRedDevil

We do need a striker with killer instincts. And a good backup for Martial or rashford

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Would absolutely love Jovic here. Despite his struggles at Madrid, I think he's going to be a star for a big team, has a lot of talent.
Much rather take a punt on him than Cavani. I thought those days were over for us. A washed up striker with chronic knee problems on huge wages. What could go wrong?

But then Jovic needs to play not sit on somebody else's bench surely? So I'm not sure I believe any of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.