Edinson Cavani - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesperjaap

Yea ok let me try again. For longer term needs, is there no one better?
Well that is a fair comment of course. I think that is a big problem at the moment, nearly all the quality strikers around at the moment are older, not many younger ones have emerged really

Well is he now at his age, who knows. But over the last years, yes he is a better out an out striker than Martial for sure, rose tinted glasses, Martial has been good for one season. Your second sentence, none of them are strikers
Couldn’t care less about history. Pele was better than them all... who was better last season, Cavani, Pele or Martial?

Would he be in the top 5 strikers in the PL. No. I even caveated the second group, and it’s clear they are attacking players rather than out and out strikers.

There are very few out and out strikers these days. Look at Liverpool. Would he get in the team ahead of Firminho, Salah and Mane - absolutely not, yet the only out and out striker they have is Firminho.

Hammondo

Well that is a fair comment of course. I think that is a big problem at the moment, nearly all the quality strikers around at the moment are older, not many younger ones have emerged really
For me personally someone to play on the right is more important, someone creative.

Renegade

Ighalo as back up for 6months isn’t ideal. Let’s not forgot his on +100k a week.

Lewa - 32
Benzema - 32 (33 in a couple months)
Suarez - 33
Giroud - 34

These guys around the same age as Cavani and still contribute/star players for their CL sides. I don’t think this would be a bad deal if it’s short term and nothing like Sanchez deal in my opinion.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Giroud is 34 and still playing for Chelsea. He starts today. What's wrong being 34 year old? Nowadays the players that look after themselves can play into their 30s easily. Suarez (33 same age as Cavani) is still playing for atlético madrid just scored 2 goals and 1 asist in 1 game as substitute.
We’ve Ighalo, Martial and Greenwood whom all can play as a striker why would we need Cavani when Martial scored 20+ and Greenwood who scored 17. I don’t really see what an ageing striker adds to our squad when we clearly need to strengthen elsewhere.

Paxi

Who said we aren’t signing a RW? If he’s still playing at a high level who gives a feck about age if it’s for 1 or 2 years as a back up?
Well it doesn’t look like we are at the minute are we? Why do we need him as a back up? We’ve Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, who all can play as a cf? Why the hell do we suddenly need cavani for one two years or any other striker?

croadyman

We’ve Ighalo, Martial and Greenwood whom all can play as a striker why would we need Cavani when Martial scored 20+ and Greenwood who scored 17. I don’t really see what an ageing striker adds to our squad when we clearly need to strengthen elsewhere.
Simple we need better than Ighalo and think we saw that when he didn't make the bench against Brighton

Ighalo has barely played since lockdown. Seems he’s out of favour. In any case, he’s gone in 3 months, so there is a need for a striker to come in either now or in the Jan window. Whether he’s the right player is a different question, but we do need someone.

croadyman

Ighalo has barely played since lockdown. Seems he’s out of favour. In any case, he’s gone in 3 months, so there is a need for a striker to come in either now or in the Jan window. Whether he’s the right player is a different question, but we do need someone.
Yeah we definitely need someone who offers something different to Tony, Mason & Marcus

Paxi

Simple we need better than Ighalo and think we saw that when he didn't make the bench against Brighton
We have better than Ighalo.

We have Greenwood, who’s not a winger but a traditional number 9.

He’s been shoehorned into a right wing position because we don’t actually have a right winger. Yet we’re actually looking to sign a player in a position that we actually don’t really need.

Abizzz

Would hate to see any of Martial, Rashford or Greenwood lose playing time because of him, but it will be a long season and we can't (and don't need to) really gamble on everyone staying fit all year. If he's content with sitting out while everyone else is healthy I wouldn't mind having him as backup.

Paxi

Because he’s not particularly needed that’s why he hasn’t played and neither is Cavani. If we sign a competent right winger then Greenwood will be there to help Martial in a 9.

White Fury

Getting Cavani would be great if its a loan deal for 1 season and not on 500k a week salary. We need better than Ighalo and a proven striker because we have none at the moment - Martial is inconsistent and needs competition, Rashford is shit as number 9, Greenwood not ready.

We have better than Ighalo.

We have Greenwood, who’s not a winger but a traditional number 9.

He’s been shoehorned into a right wing position because we don’t actually have a right winger. Yet we’re actually looking to sign a player in a position that we actually don’t really need.
I disagree, Greenwood is playing on the right, because that’s where we can accommodate him whilst he gets used to first team football. He’s not getting into the team ahead of Martial of both are fit as a no. 9. Lots of players get eased in on the wings, and you can be more inconsistent there rather than in the middle.

If we need a goal with 30 mins to go, Greenwood is not the player to throw into the mix - that’s where we need depth. Greenwood is not ready to play as a regular striker. He’s not far off. OGS had managed him brilliantly.

Because he’s not particularly needed that’s why he hasn’t played and neither is Cavani. If we sign a competent right winger then Greenwood will be there to help Martial in a 9.
Read my post above. A second striker has been needed, but clearly Ighalo is not the right player in the managers eyes.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
1 year deal is worth it. If we are going to give him a 3 year deal like Matic then please no.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Getting Cavani would be great if its a loan deal for 1 season and not on 500k a week salary. We need better than Ighalo and a proven striker because we have none at the moment - Martial is inconsistent and needs competition, Rashford is shit as number 9, Greenwood not ready.
Who are you proposing we loan him from? He's a free agent. His contract with PSG has expired.

Injury prone, huge wages and nearly 34. Definitely doesn't sound like a deal Ole would go for so I think this is just the latest in the line of BS rumours.

Who are you proposing we loan him from? He's a free agent. His contract with PSG has expired.

Injury prone, huge wages and nearly 34. Definitely doesn't sound like a deal Ole would go for so I think this is just the latest in the line of BS rumours.
I agree. And he’s not going to come on a one year (9 month) deal. He will want, and rightly so a 2 year deal minimum wherever he goes.

lsd

The Oracle
He may be 33 and past his best but in a similar way to Henrik Larsson and Zlaton i would love to see him play for United . There is no reason to think he would not score 10 plus goals for us this season and just having him in the team would be a boost for us .

Paxi

I disagree, Greenwood is playing on the right, because that’s where we can accommodate him whilst he gets used to first team football. He’s not getting into the team ahead of Martial of both are fit as a no. 9. Lots of players get eased in on the wings, and you can be more inconsistent there rather than in the middle.

If we need a goal with 30 mins to go, Greenwood is not the player to throw into the mix - that’s where we need depth. Greenwood is not ready to play as a regular striker. He’s not far off. OGS had managed him brilliantly.
I wouldn’t say OGS managed him brilliantly, he was playing most of the games last season when it became evident that everyone else was subpar. Greenwood can also get to first team football more intermittently if he’s coming off the bench for Martial or Sancho. I disagree completely that we need a second striker when we’ve one who’s going to bench Martial soon enough.

I wouldn’t say OGS managed him brilliantly, he was playing most of the games last season when it became evident that everyone else was subpar. Greenwood can also get to first team football more intermittently if he’s coming off the bench for Martial or Sancho. I disagree completely that we need a second striker when we’ve one who’s going to bench Martial soon enough.
A young player needs to be eased in. He’s been fantastic this far, and that’s due to his management.

I think Greenwood has the potential to be sensational for Utd, but he’s still only 18, and has a hell of a lot to prove. He’s not displacing Martial soon, and he don’t think he’s anywhere near ready to be a sole striker for United. That’s no bad thing, and he will continue to develop as an inside right forward. He’s only 18.

croadyman

A young player needs to be eased in. He’s been fantastic this far, and that’s due to his management.

I think Greenwood has the potential to be sensational for Utd, but he’s still only 18, and has a hell of a lot to prove. He’s not displacing Martial soon, and he don’t think he’s anywhere near ready to be a sole striker for United. That’s no bad thing, and he will continue to develop as an inside right forward. He’s only 18.
So are you saying we should go for a different type of striker then

So are you saying we should go for a different type of striker then
I do. We need a plan B. In theory Ighalo is that, but he’s clearly out of favour. I think a traditional no 9/ target man would be a good option for us. I’m not advocating going 100% Andy Carroll, pump the ball into the box type forward. But someone who has a greater presence in the box would be good to have in our golf bag.

croadyman

I do. We need a plan B. In theory Ighalo is that, but he’s clearly out of favour. I think a traditional no 9/ target man would be a good option for us. I’m not advocating going 100% Andy Carroll, pump the ball into the box type forward. But someone who has a greater presence in the box would be good to have in our golf bag.
Yeah a plan B other than Ighalo would be such a useful asset to have in games where our fluid front three are struggling to make an impact

Eddy_JukeZ

For a 1 year deal, it wouldn't be the worst deal in the world.

By all accounts, he's a model professional as well.

Hopefully the wages aren't obscene.

Jericho

Some people saying Greenwood isn't ready to play up top. I think he looks more than ready, he's probably our best option.

SinNombre

Cavani on 1+1 on 200k/week would be reasonable.

Or Jovic on loan.

We need 5 attackers for Ole to be able to rotate. Right now, we have 3 in Martial, Rashford and Greenwood. Sancho hopefully will be the 4th. We still need a 5th and Ighalo and James are not.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
1 year deal and not outrageous wages. Would be better than Igahlo.

ti vu

Ighalo as back up for 6months isn’t ideal. Let’s not forgot his on +100k a week.

Lewa - 32
Benzema - 32 (33 in a couple months)
Suarez - 33
Giroud - 34

These guys around the same age as Cavani and still contribute/star players for their CL sides. I don’t think this would be a bad deal if it’s short term and nothing like Sanchez deal in my opinion.
He may be 33 and past his best but in a similar way to Henrik Larsson and Zlaton i would love to see him play for United . There is no reason to think he would not score 10 plus goals for us this season and just having him in the team would be a boost for us .
I am sorry but Cavani has been declining sharply. We're talking about Higuain kind of falling off the cliff decline. Giroud showed he was aging finer than Higuain. While the like of Benzema, Luis Suarez, Lewandolski are still at high level. There is a reason, PSG had to spend money and not so cheap wage for Icardi service, and even at Choupo- Moting's mercy. Cavani on reduced wage should be cheaper right?

Even the like of Juventus, rather loaning with huge fee option to purchase Morata than taking a pop at free agent like Cavani. A young Cavani would have been a good foil for Ronaldo.

Cavani has always been wasteful. Now when he's declining it's even worse. Cavani never has the leader aura like Zlatan or Henrik Larsson. I don't see what he would add than being better than Ighalo which is very low standard.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I am sorry but Cavani has been declining sharply. We're talking about Higuain kind of falling off the cliff decline. Giroud showed he was aging finer than Higuain. While the like of Benzema, Luis Suarez, Lewandolski are still at high level. There is a reason, PSG had to spend money and not so cheap wage for Icardi service, and even at Choupo- Moting. Cavani on reduced wage should be cheaper right?

Even the like of Juventus, rather loaning with huge option to purchase Morata than taking a pop at free agent like Cavani. A young Cavani would have been a good foil for Ronaldo.

Cavani has always been wasteful. Now when he's declining it's even worse. Cavani never has the leader aura like Zlatan or Henrik Larsson. I don't see what he would add than being better than Ighalo which is very low standard.
I confess I've not observed his performances closely this season, so alarming if this is true. If he's anywhere near to what he actually was, then a one year contract is a pretty good deal, committing to more than that is not sensible.

In any case, we need better than Ighalo, and that better needs to be more sensible long term than Josh King, or a loan move for someone actually good.

Foxbatt

It is not Cavani who is going to score but his presence is going to create chances for others to score when we need another option. Martial and Greenwood are not going to score too many goals in the air. Someone like Cavani is going to create that space for others.

ti vu

It is not Cavani who is going to score but his presence is going to create chances for others to score when we need another option. Martial and Greenwood are not going to score too many goals in the air. Someone like Cavani is going to create that space for others.
He had lost that presence for at least 2 seasons now. It used to be him looking busy even when he had a mare finishing chance. The last 2 seasons, he had been more and more pointless and invisible. His greatest weapon is his movement, and workrate, so he's not transforming into a Zlatan who know how to play with less robust movement. Cavani is more likely heading down the Rooney route if not already.

As I explained, someone like Icardi who is pointless in build up, and Choupo-Moting who offers presence in final third cost PSG more than just renewing Cavani on reduced wage, but PSG had to take the more expensive option.

Last edited:

RedDevil@84

We couldn't get crocked Bale. So lets get crocked Cavani.
On ridiculous wages will be icing on the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.