CDM or Centre Back Priority? | Poll added

Which is the higher priority?

• New Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 125 53.9%
  • New Centre-back

Votes: 107 46.1%

• Total voters

Raveneye

Assume RW is a done deal and you had to choose between getting a very good CDM and a very good Center Back. Assume they'll gel into the team no problem next season with minimal adjustment period. Which position would you prioritize?

Tallis

CB for me. We leaked too many soft goals last season - headers, weak defending

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Assume RW is a done deal and you had to choose between getting a very good CDM and a very good Center Back. Assume they'll gel into the team no problem next season with minimal adjustment period. Which position would you prioritize?
Both positions are of equal importance, in my opinion. Maguire needs a partner to share the load as Lindelof is plain unreliable at this point, and if we're ever going to help Pogba realize his ability, we need a DM of genuine quality.

Ole and the transfer committee seem to be leaning towards CB if recent activity in the transfer forum is anything to go by. It would be beyond great if we could fix both positions, but that's highly unlikely.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We play 2 paired CB and not 3 man midfield formation. Assuming we don't sell anyone else then in my view, we need a CB more than CDM because of the way how we set up.

People keep saying look at City without a CDM in UCL final. The counter argument would be they play 433 which requires CDM, we play 4231 which doesn't require a CDM as priority.
Bayern has no CDM because they play/played 4231 and they won treble.

Bwuk

CB. We need someone at the level of Maguire. We concede far too many ridiculous goals.

choccy77

I'd want a top defender (CB) and a Roy Keane / Robbo type of CM that can win the ball and move it forwards quickly. That gives Bruno and the wingers options.

OL29

CDM for me first. Our defenders are serviceable at least, and I think we struggle to get out of our defensive third against teams that press high, ie the Liverpool match at Old Trafford. I think a CDM with a good passing range and the ability to beat the press would really improve our build up play.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
CDM.

Instead of 7 players 'back' (not literally but goalie, 4 defenders and McFred) meaning a front 4 have to create/score most our goals - Bruno, forward, wide left, wide right...

We have 6 'back' and can add Pogba (if he stays) which doesn't just give us purely one extra player up front, it gives us a different type of attacking threat... a player who runs at players directly with the ball, creating gaps for others and able to make a pass at speed.

DM we haven’t had a decent one since Carrick retired. It would be nice to control games from the midfield again.

Eddy_JukeZ

DM we haven’t had a decent one since Carrick retired. It would be nice to control games from the midfield again.
I find that more systematic than down to the personnel

I don't think Ole is the type of manager who wants to control games/dominate the ball

el3mel

Midfield for me.

The center back isn't a priority. A new CB will be nice but Maguire-Lindelof aren't a bad pair.

Crashoutcassius

CM

we have one of the best defenders in the world, whose weakness is he is going to struggle when the midfield gets overrun and he is caught high up the pitch.

right now we have a double pivot that wouldn't fly at any other major club in europe, with basically no options to swap it around

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
CM but I don't see it happening unless we can sell Pogba. I'm thinking we might see more of Van de Beek in a deeper role also.

I'm not 100% convinced by the CBs we seem to be linked with but Lindelof can surely be improved on.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
CB.

Though that's possibly because I see two CBs I like (Varane + to a lesser extent Torres) seemingly available and we've been linked to both. Whereas I'm unsure what exactly we need in CM (especially given the question marks around Pogba) and who is available to fill that role.

Dve

Difficult one. One part of me wants to see how a Maguire + Bailly partnership will work if Bailly stays fit for a longer period and get to play on regular basis. But.

I must admit I´m not fully convinced by Varane, so probably a DM then.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
OP: "Which of X or Y would you prioritize if you had to choose?"

People who don't understand hypothetical questions: "We need X and Y."

A-man

DM. We got clean sheets against all the best teams, now it’s time to dominate the midfield.
I think many of the fans of the more reactionary type, got themselves a reality check when they saw how all the amazing CBs conceded so many goals and had such a weak performances in Euro.

Last edited:

CM

I think there's a better chance of us getting the CB we need so I'd probably go with that

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
DM. We got clean sheets against all the best teams, now it’s time to dominate the midfield.
I think many of the fans of the more reactionary type, got themselves a reality check when they saw how all the amazing CBs conceded so many goals and had such a weak performances.
Is that something we can ever really do against better sides when we have Bruno and Pogba? For all their quality they're not the Xavi/Iniesta or Modric/Kroos combination.

Tarrou

CDM for sure

we're not going anywhere with McT and Fred as our centre mid

but we clearly need both, and this is where we've differed from Chelsea and City in recent years - they plug all their gaps every summer, and we don't

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Difficult one. One part of me wants to see how a Maguire + Bailly partnership will work if Bailly stays fit for a longer period and get to play on regular basis. But.

I must admit I´m not fully convinced by Varane, so probably a DM then.
Don’t do it to yourself

Dve

I think many of the fans of the more reactionary type, got themselves a reality check when they saw how all the amazing CBs conceded so many goals and had such a weak performances.
I think you are on to something there. As I´ve said before, I suspect that many fans watch United in a bobble and believe the gras is so much greener on the other side. Meanwhile, Ramos and Varane pull out pretty poor performances for RM, Upamecano makes blunders for Leipzig and Kounde is being bullied in the CL. We need a CB, but the truth is there are not so many out who would be such a massive upgrade from what we´ve got. E.g., what could Tuanzebe deliver if he got regular game time? And Bailly too, of course, if he´d ever stay fit.

A-man

Is that something we can ever really do against better sides when we have Bruno and Pogba? For all their quality they're not the Xavi/Iniesta or Modric/Kroos combination.
That’s a good point. Is it even something we want to do, when playing them? They are not the patient types. Bruno has a style that mean he will always lose possession a lot.

A-man

I think you are on to something there. As I´ve said before, I suspect that many fans watch United in a bobble and believe the gras is so much greener on the other side. Meanwhile, Ramos and Varane pull out pretty poor performances for RM, Upamecano makes blunders for Leipzig and Kounde is being bullied in the CL. We need a CB, but the truth is there are not so many out who would be such a massive upgrade from what we´ve got. E.g., what could Tuanzebe deliver if he got regular game time? And Bailly too, of course, if he´d ever stay fit.
I’m 100% of the same opinion. It’s easy to see all the shortcomings of your own players and then you mainly watch the rest through highlight material without the forensic view. I believe we need another CB, mostly because our two backups have problems staying fit.

Gator Nate

OP: "Which of X or Y would you prioritize if you had to choose?"

People who don't understand hypothetical questions: "We need X and Y."
And then there's the reality pointing to us being more likely to get a CB (Verane) over a CDM regardless of this discussion.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
Both are essential in this crucial moment for the core players in our club.

Enough don’t have to splash £70m+ each for a DM or CB. CB will be relatively cheaper seeing how the market is. So in that sense, it should balance out enough to be able to secure both positions.

...enough of this “it’s either A or Z”.We didn’t spend last summer to back Ole when he proved himself the year prior. Chelsea/City/lesser middle tier clubs have spent more than us in the last year+.Glazer’s have a fire lit underneath them which they’ve acknowledged. No more fecking around, it’s time to just get the business done for once! No if’s and’s or but’s !!