• New Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 125 53.9%
  • New Centre-back

Votes: 107 46.1%

• Total voters

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
We can absolutely survive with Fred there and some combinations to double pivot with him with Pogba (in less leggy games), perhaps McTominay or VdB can step up and fill the gaps there, with grandpa Matic helping when we need to reboot and if we fail to sign anyone then also we could keep Garner even though it might be one year early for him. It's not ideal but Fred would have to stay fit and we can't rely on his fitness and occassional dip in form.

What's risky though is that we have a world class defender paired with championship quality which will take us nowhere, so we should absolutely replace that fraud Lindelof with a starting quality and perhaps do some smart business and get another smart CB deal, either loan of experienced player or a youngster. Since the gap and depth looks really bad for a top club. Mengi unfortunately looked frightened, Fish is still far. Tuanzebe injured or not trusted and Bailly injured all the time.

If we could somehow get some 15mil for Lindelof from some dumb Seria A team or get 10m for Bailly or 10-15m for Tuanzebe we could fund some smart second CB transfer alongside Varane

alexthelion

Assume RW is a done deal and you had to choose between getting a very good CDM and a very good Center Back. Assume they'll gel into the team no problem next season with minimal adjustment period. Which position would you prioritize?
Both.

MadMike

To the people that answer "both" in a thread that asks you to choose one... how have you made it so far in life?

A-man

No problem there, just a complete fail of an analogy
No but agree with you. This is a clear case of priorities. After Sancho, we could probably cough up a medium high amount of money for one more player. Should that be a CB or a Dm?

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
Splash whatever you can for Kanté.
That boy won't stop running until its 2040

Kag

We can make do with two from McTominay, Fred, Pogba, Matic and Van de Beek.

A reliable central defender who can come straight in to partner Maguire would help us hugely. Lindelof just isn’t good enough over the course of a season (as a starter).

I mean, the unwritten answer is both. We desperately need a midfielder who has brilliant defensive positioning, but can also ping it about a bit. Who that player is I don’t know.

punk19

the team lacks leadership and drive is my personal assessment. Anyone coming in with a wealth of experience and a desire to win will only help us be more successful IMO. The problem with the team at the moment is that 8/10 they look like they need a kick up the backside. Someone like varane is of the right personality the right drive and has the necessary experience to offer guidance and be that motivating and dominating player on the pitch. If we replaced pogba with roy keane in our team every player on the pitch would give 10 percent more - just because the way that he was and his drive acted as a catalyst to spur on others around him and at the moment we don't have that. Nor do i think that we are particularly keen on going hell for leather to win with the current centre backs and i think ultimately that's what happened in the uefa final - there was some doubt. We are Man Utd - we should be able to go hell for leather to win games without worrying about losing a draw by making a mistake at the back and the players that we have at the moment don't do that. not for me anyway.

Synders

It depends where Ole want to play Pogba...
If Pogba played in left wing like last season, you could get away without upgrading McFred and spend more budget on CB...
But it means only one spot for Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood,etc. to compete...

If Ole want to play Pogba in midfield, you absolutely need to find someone who could cover defensive work for both Pogba and Bruno or it will be very top heavy...
And I really doubt either Mctom or Fred could do it well...
So I probably prefer a new, capable CDM in this case...

Reactions: Rood

LuckyScout78

CB options are United weakest area. Even with Maguire. United were so poor and conceded so many goals on set piece last season.

Lindelof got bully an outmuscled too often.

Bailly got injury too often and go into tackling to uncontrolled. You have to be sure you will hit the ball first.

Tuanzebe. I have said many times. He shall boss, dominate and command. Even playing next to Maguire. It’s always place for everyone to take theirs part. Show who you really are, not in the shadow of others. In others words. 11 captain on the pitch is needed. It mean you have to max and push yourself to the max. Not only the captain.

Mengi. Not sure if he is ready yet. Looked promising for the reserve team. But like Tuanzebe. Playing with the big boys. You have to hide and locked the respect, too much respect. In the dressing room. On the pitch. It’s equal. Take your part, express and show yourself how good you are. NO, new boy mentality. Be yourself and be your own boss.

Not cooky and arrogant. But I want to see the top confidence. Believe in yourself. Then go out there. Dominate and show it.

Compare to McTom and Fred. Special McTom. Not the most skillful cm player. But he has the mentality. He goes out there dominate and boss everyone he is meeting.
And Fred is a aggressive ball winner too.

And if Pogba stay. Then United might need someone to push and battle Pogba for the creative cm spot. Some really good upcoming cm player. Like the Monaco cm player TchouaménIi.

Conclusion. United need both. But this thread is about one of CB or CM. My vote easily and clearly for for a top CB.

But like i said. United shall get both. Monaco TchouaménIi is the one.

+ Against teams United shall dominate. Go for two creative cm player in Pogba and TchouaménIi.

+ Against top teams in Europe. Then you can put one or two ball winners. Like McTerminator and Fred. Or one of them with :

Balance cm duo = Tchouameni/Pogba - McTom/Fred = against teams on same level as United

offensive cm duo = Tchouameni & Pogba = against tight and parking bus. Then you go out ultra offensive.

defensive cm = McTom & Fred = Against teams that probably will have more ball possession than United. Then set up cm duo to break down opponents attacks. With counting attacks football. In combining with 4 ultra fast and skillful top 4 upfront. Then opponents teams will aware of it. Of your teams abilities and force.

That’s are mine analyzing of United CB and CM options. United didn’t concede only one goal on set piece. When you got bully to often and concede so many goals on set piece. Then you clearly and definitely have a problem. Your team have to solve. If not solving. Then your car only can drive in to top 2-4. Like last season. World class defend win you titles.

Charlie Foley

Difficult one. One part of me wants to see how a Maguire + Bailly partnership will work if Bailly stays fit for a longer period and get to play on regular basis. But.

I must admit I´m not fully convinced by Varane, so probably a DM then.
Would you rather have Bailly or Varane?

Bestietom

The only DM we have is Matic who is over the hill imo. Garner is still not ready to play a lone DM so we need to bring in someone who is commanding every single game.

Uniquim

If we don't land a DM this summer, we might end up playing with a higher line now that Varane has arrived. Especially in games where Henderson is the GK. That would help a bit, but we still need a really solid DM.