Celebrity Allegations, #MeToo etc

Goalfather

You can't. So then you have to decide what's more likely to have happened.

All the stats point to the amount of sexual assaults that go unreported far, far outweighing the number of false accusations. But people like you choose to believe the accused rather than the accuser. Why?

I don't even know you but I can bet that you personally would know far more people who have been sexually assaulted than people who have been falsely accused. And yet you're still siding with the accused?
You are correct on both counts but I also know of quite a few false accusations. You see the police are generally unlikely to prosecute women for making those allegations and many of the falsely accused are so relieved to be free of that burden that they are unlikely to pursue the matter to get civil relief. Therefore those stats are also often under-reported.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
You are correct on both counts but I also know of quite a few false accusations. You see the police are generally unlikely to prosecute women for making those allegations and many of the falsely accused are so relieved to be free of that burden that they are unlikely to pursue the matter to get civil relief. Therefore those stats are also often under-reported.
Whereas they're extremely likely to prosecute allegations of sexual assault? :houllier: seriously, what planet do you live on?

I'm not denying that people make false allegations but they're far outweighed by the number of sexual assaults. Again, I find it weird that you'd prefer to give the benefit of doubt to the accused.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Whereas they're extremely likely to prosecute allegations of sexual assault? :houllier: seriously, what planet do you live on?

I'm not denying that people make false allegations but they're far outweighed by the number of sexual assaults. Again, I find it weird that you'd prefer to give the benefit of doubt to the accused.
Isn’t that exactly what’s supposed to happen? Otherwise why bother with a trial?

arnie_ni

Seen an article that comedian Katherine Ryan has said it's an open secret a famous tv star is a predator.

Do they hold no moral or ethical values at all to report said person to the police?

What if the person abuses/attacks someone else?

2 man midfield

How about not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt and just await the trial? :nervous:
That’s what I mean really, just hold fire on any assumptions until the facts come out. It isn’t perfect but it’s still the best system we’ve got up to this point.

2 man midfield

Seen an article that comedian Katherine Ryan has said it's an open secret a famous tv star is a predator.

Do they hold no moral or ethical values at all to report said person to the police?

If it hasn’t happened to them then what can they do? I’m assuming they’ve tried to talk the victims into coming forward but they just don’t want to. They’re probably very aware of what can happen if they just name and shame people with no evidence. It’s a tough situation for her to be in.

nimic

something nice
Scout
You seem to ignore the other part of my post where I said... "Unless there are witnesses...or a text trail...or the woman was a minor"

What I refuse to do however is convict/condemn someone solely on the basis of an accusation and this to me is where the MeToo movement seems to be heading.
Why do you not answer the question? Where did you get the idea that this has anything to do with this specific case? If you're just looking to vent (or virtue signal), you should have made that absolutely clear and not replied directly to a post about a specific case.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
You can't. So then you have to decide what's more likely to have happened.

All the stats point to the amount of sexual assaults that go unreported far, far outweighing the number of false accusations. But people like you choose to believe the accused rather than the accuser. Why?

I don't even know you but I can bet that you personally would know far more people who have been sexually assaulted than people who have been falsely accused. And yet you're still siding with the accused?
It's not about believing the accused over the accuser. The problem is that there are false reports, people lie whether for compensation, revenge or simply to receive attention. There's many documented cases. Let's say 20% of cases are false, are we happy with those 20% being imprisoned and cancelled?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

What do you think would actually happen if Katherine Ryan were to report this to the police?

Less than 2% of rape cases reported to the police in England & Wales in 2020 resulted in a charge, so that's the very depressing context. And in this particular case she has zero evidence, zero first hand experience and would literally just be reporting rumour. Even if she could name someone she thinks might have been assaulted, that person is someone who either didn't want to report it to the police themselves or already reported it to no effect. What reason would anyone have to believe that report is going to prevent anyone from being attacked?

Given all the reasons women are disinclined to report their own sexual assaults to the police, it's a bit much to expect them to report rumours about other people. Especially when the person they'd be accusing is someone who, according to Ryan, "lots of people" have already failed to hold to account.

And beyond that, if women reported every single story or rumour they heard about other women being sexually assaulted then they'd barely be out of contact with the police.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's not about believing the accused over the accuser. The problem is that there are false reports, people lie whether for compensation, revenge or simply to receive attention. There's many documented cases. Let's say 20% of cases are false, are we happy with those 20% being imprisoned and cancelled?
Let's not

DiCanio (1993) states that while researchers and prosecutors do not agree on the exact percentage of cases in which there was sufficient evidence to conclude that allegations were false, they generally agree on a range of 2% to 10%.
https://www.maine.gov/dps/mcja/docs/Mandatory-Law/Handout 2 - So How Many Rape Reports are False.doc
In response to this perception of false allegations, some Rape Crisis Advocates search for a source to counter this argument, often stating that only 2% of reported rapes are false allegations, essentially the same rate as other crimes.
https://www.brown.edu/campus-life/h...g-violence/myths-about-sexual-assault-reports
False reports of sexual assault are dramatically overestimated. Poorly constructed studies and a lack of understanding of the dynamics of sexual assault contribute to this problem. In rigorous research, rates of false reports are consistently very low, ranging from 2% to 10%. This is similar to rates of false reports for other crimes.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45565684
Over the past 20 years, only 2-10% of rape accusations (Prof Ford's lawyer says she believes this was attempted rape) are proven to be fake, argue the authors of a 2010 US study.

That figure does not include any unsubstantiated accusations where an investigation was unable to prove a sexual assault occurred, so an accurate figure for the total remains unknown.
https://web.archive.org/web/2018010...gov/conference/handouts/False-Allegations.pdf

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
What do you think would actually happen if Katherine Ryan were to report this to the police?

Less than 2% of rape cases reported to the police in England & Wales in 2020 resulted in a charge, so that's the very depressing context. And in this particular case she has zero evidence, zero first hand experience and would literally just be reporting rumour. Even if she could name someone she thinks might have been assaulted, that person is someone who either didn't want to report it to the police themselves or already reported it to no effect. What reason would anyone have to believe that report is going to prevent anyone from being attacked?

Given all the reasons women are disinclined to report their own sexual assaults to the police, it's a bit much to expect them to report rumours about other people. Especially when the person they'd be accusing is someone who, according to Ryan, "lots of people" have already failed to hold to account.

And beyond that, if women reported every single story or rumour they heard about other women being sexually assaulted then they'd barely be out of contact with the police.
Great post

Also a cracking post

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Isn’t that exactly what’s supposed to happen? Otherwise why bother with a trial?
For other crimes, yeah I'd agree. Sexual assault is different, in my opinion, purely because of the nature of it and how difficult it is to prove.

arnie_ni

It just doesn't sit right that she's happy to say in an interview it's well know this star is a predator (kids?) But then not try and do something about it.

I don't know what the solution is but it's maddening that nothing can be done about these kinds of people

Maticmaker

Shouldn't it always only be about two things; the presumption of innocence until proven guilty, and the proper presentation/proof of valid evidence, that removes any doubt.

If, in the cases of assault/rape, the current burden of proof in law is at present deemed to be set too high, then the laws on evidence should be changed.

The problem in many rape cases seems always to be, especially between adults of legal age, to come down to whether consent was asked for/given or refused.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Shouldn't it always only be about two things; the presumption of innocence until proven guilty, and the proper presentation/proof of valid evidence, that removes any doubt.

If, in the cases of assault/rape, the current burden of proof in law is at present deemed to be set too high, then the laws on evidence should be changed.

The problem in many rape cases seems always to be, especially between adults of legal age, to come down to whether consent was asked for/given or refused.
It's not particularly high in most western judicial systems. Presumption of innoncence is the cornerstone of criminal law in most civilized countries and cannot be tempered with unless its for very, very specific reasons (minors for exemple since we consider they can't really give their informed consent).

That's the drama in sexual misconduct or rape cases, victims are supposed to prove they didn't give their consent and that's rarely possible unless there's visible traces of agression (i'll spear you the details), but there's not a whole lot you can change in the law to make it easier without tempering with presumption of innocence. The real first step would be to train police officers so they actually know how to deal with victims properly, beacuse it's rarely the case, a lot of them are not taken seriously.

I'm a lawyer btw.

phelans shorts

It just doesn't sit right that she's happy to say in an interview it's well know this star is a predator (kids?) But then not try and do something about it.

I don't know what the solution is but it's maddening that nothing can be done about these kinds of people
The fact that this has been twisted to make Katherine Ryan the bad guy and not, you know, the star who’s a sexual predator (no mention of kids in the allegation) is a very good example of why lots of victims don’t come forward.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
This research is based on zero evidence. Because you can't know in he said vs she said who is telling the truth. Tupac Shakur got done on for obvious BS sexual assault charges that ruined his life. I've had 2 women threaten me with BS rape accusations a couple of time without going through with it but they threatened to do so.1 of them, I didn't even have sex with after she was asking for sex all night long, after she said 'no' I stopped straight away. But because I rubbed my dick against her clit during foreplay that we both mutually agreed to and she said 'no' she thought she was raped when I stopped. Before this she kept asking if I had photos of my ex wife in my bedroom because she wanted the 'right atmosphere'. I've had another woman make up lies about me about domestic violence. And I've not had many girlfriends. Many women lie to get economic dominance over men or to punish them. Those studies aren't having sympathy to missacused men.

If you haven't been with such women, then it's good for you. But you could be devastated if you ever encounter one.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This research is based on zero evidence. Because you can't know in he said vs she said who is telling the truth. Tupac Shakur got done on for obvious BS sexual assault charges that ruined his life. I've had 2 women threaten me with BS rape accusations a couple of time without going through with it but they threatened to do so.1 of them, I didn't even have sex with after she was asking for sex all night long, after she said 'no' I stopped straight away. But because I rubbed my dick against her clit during foreplay that we both mutually agreed to and she said 'no' she thought she was raped when I stopped. Before this she kept asking if I had photos of my ex wife in my bedroom because she wanted the 'right atmosphere'. I've had another woman make up lies about me about domestic violence. And I've not had many girlfriends. Many women lie to get economic dominance over men or to punish them. Those studies aren't having sympathy to missacused men.

If you haven't been with such women, then it's good for you. But you could be devastated if you ever encounter one.
One of the most controversial disputes affecting the discourse related to violence against
women is the dispute about the frequency of false allegations of sexual assault. In an effort
to add clarity to the discourse, published research on false allegations is critiqued, and the
results of a new study described. All cases (N = 136) of sexual assault reported to a major
Northeastern university over a 10-year period are analyzed to determine the percentage of
false allegations. Of the 136 cases of sexual assault reported over the 10-year period, 8 (5.9%)
are coded as false allegations.
These results, taken in the context of an examination of
previous research, indicate that the prevalence of false allegations is between 2% and 10%.
There's the evidence of the study, the link is the Web.archive link I Posted above

It doesn't say that false allegations don't happen but that they are don't happen that often

Brophs

The One and Only

Extraordinary.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I dunno guys, that seems like a pretty shitty situation if he's not fabricating it, and probably the kind of thing that'd cause you to take a more extreme viewpoint than is true. I've not had that sort of experience myself thankfully.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Probably not as much as getting shot did tbh.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I dunno guys, that seems like a pretty shitty situation if he's not fabricating it, and probably the kind of thing that'd cause you to take a more extreme viewpoint than is true. I've not had that sort of experience myself thankfully.
Very true and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I don't think that means he can just start pulling statistics out of thin air and dismissing actual studies done to look at the numbers though.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
Get back in here, you coward. We’re just about to call Tupac a diddler.
i see no charges, all i see is empty cases
misplaced claims makes disgrace to rapists
we under, i wonder what it takes to make this
one better place, let’s erase the whatsapps
take the evil out the people, they’ll be acting right, cos i’ll rub my dick against your clit tonight.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Get back in here, you coward. We’re just about to call Tupac a diddler.
https://www.ladbible.com/news/celeb...f-rape-has-spoken-for-the-first-time-20180131

Ayanna said she told Tupac 'no' several times but he kept his hand on the back of her head. She described parts of the encounter like an out-of-body experience because she couldn't believe it was happening to her.

Ms Jackson recalled her stockings and dress being ripped off by the other men in the room before being raped by Tupac. Eventually the singer left the room and his friends then raped her.

It wasn't until she 'came to' that she realised what had happened to her.
I think getting shot ruined 2pac's life more than my complicit in a sexual assault

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

And like... You weren't being coerced into posting this? You wrote this and posted it and weren't drunk?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
fecking hell the posters abusing the guy who shared his experiences aren't much better than the one saying they don't believe victims of sexual abuse.

If you're okay with online bullying (no mater who it is) then you're a cnut too.

The poster has obviously had multiple experiences that has clouded his views, much like anyone would and bullying him isn't a great way to get your point across to him, he'll likely double down on his views now, so well done cnuts.

On the topic at hand though, rape and sexual crimes has a staggeringly low conviction rate, I'm not smart enough to know how to solve that issue, but I'd hope many recognise that it is a huge problem.

Those saying that false allegations are an issue are correct too, but it doesn't take away from the fact that rape is under reported because of the low conviction rate, two issues can be present involving the same subject - rapists and predators staying out of prison at the rate they are is a much bigger problem though (this coming from a guy that has been falsely accused - don't make fun of me...).

nimic

something nice
Scout
fecking hell the posters abusing the guy who shared his experiences aren't much better than the one saying they don't believe victims of sexual abuse.

If you're okay with online bullying (no mater who it is) then you're a cnut too.

The poster has obviously had multiple experiences that has clouded his views, much like anyone would and bullying him isn't a great way to get your point across to him, he'll likely double down on his views now, so well done cnuts.

On the topic at hand though, rape and sexual crimes has a staggeringly low conviction rate, I'm not smart enough to know how to solve that issue, but I'd hope many recognise that it is a huge problem.

Those saying that false allegations are an issue are correct too, but it doesn't take away from the fact that rape is under reported because of the low conviction rate, two issues can be present involving the same subject - rapists and predators staying out of prison at the rate they are is a much bigger problem though (this coming from a guy that has been falsely accused - don't make fun of me...).
There's a time and a place for everything, but I'm not sure describing how you rubbed your dick on someone's clit, and that women often lie to punish you, is just sharing experiences. This isn't therapy, it's a thread about MeToo. He chose to bring it up and he chose how to bring it up.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
There's a time and a place for everything, but I'm not sure describing how you rubbed your dick on someone's clit, and that women often lie to punish you, is just sharing experiences. This isn't therapy, it's a thread about MeToo. He chose to bring it up and he chose to bring it up in the most disturbing way possible.
Plus its a weird reaction to the old guy from Squid Game being accused of sexual misconduct. 99% of the people here hadn't even heard of him that long ago.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
There's a time and a place for everything, but I'm not sure describing how you rubbed your dick on someone's clit, and that women often lie to punish you, is just sharing experiences. This isn't therapy, it's a thread about MeToo. He chose to bring it up and he chose how to bring it up.
He was trying to make his point, a rather weird share clearly, but to then trash him isn't really constructive to trying to get him to see your point and won't do the guy any good when he seemingly isn't in a great space about the subject as is.