Celtic and Rangers

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by DVG7, Nov 8, 2019 at 00:31.

1. Nov 9, 2019 at 09:29

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Supports:
    Free Speech
    No one cares about Scottish football anymore

But back when they did, United-Celtic definitely had more of an affinity than United-Rangers.

Firstly there is the religious aspect. Every time this is brought up, people debate this and say United aren't and never were a Catholic club, which is true, but they seemed to have a larger Catholic following. For starts, Manchester City was formed as a St Marks COE church team (All men were welcome to join, regardless of religion). Maybe that explains why the Catholic communities were more drawn towards United? Much was made of Best being protestant, but that much was made of it tells you something in itself. (although he supported a United Ireland football team)

Thankfully all that is resigned to the past.

Then you look at the fact that Manchester United and Celtic were successful at the same time. Celtic won the European Cup in 1967. United won the European Cup in 1968. The two clubs have hardly ever played each other, so there isn't really a rivalry between them.

More recently Henrik Larson was a Celtic Legend and briefly a Manchester United fan favorite.

Then you have Rangers trashing Manchester and stopping United getting a parade for their European double.
  2. Nov 9, 2019 at 10:10

Chipper Full Member

It's not a big thing at all in my experience, but yes, I would say here's more affinity for Celtic of the two. Far more don't care or dislike both.

A lot of it is Irish reds as you mentioned. There's a few other little things but it's mostly that.

When I first started going to United in the 80s I'd see the odd half and half hat with either United/Celtic or United/Rangers. The Celtic ones seemed more popular.

Fergie was Rangers as you say, but I think there's been comfortably more players to have played for United and Celtic down the years than United and Rangers. So if anyone cared about that sort of thing they may end up with a tiny preference for, or have a little bit of respect for Celtic. We've also played them in loads of testimonials as a result.

Sir Matt, while never anything anything to do with them was a big Celtic fan as well. He was also Catholic, and while it's obviously nowhere near as big of a deal in Manchester, if there were a religious divide between United and City it's United who were the more Catholic club at one point.

Perhaps some take a little bit out of Celtic win the the European Cup in '67 before we did in '68?

As already mentioned, Rangers smashing up Manchester didn't exactly go down well. Of course there's some IRA sympathy within Celtic's fanbase and they blew the place up but it wasn't Celtic fans directly doing it. It's often said that the rebuild helped rejuvenate the city centre anyway with some tongue-in-cheek saying they did us a favour. Anyway, back to Rangers, us not getting a parade after Moscow was blamed on what they did by many wasn't it?

Might even be something political in it for some. Manachester like most cities leans left, but there was Engels and Marx here, The Co-operatvie movement too so perhaps more than most, then Celtic being obviously left-wing as well.

Not saying these are great reasons to prefer Celtic, but I do think slightly more do of those that give a crap at all which is the minority by my reckoning too.

If I had to pick one or the other gunpoint I'd probably pick Rangers because of the IRA thing with some Celtic fans who might (moreso in the past) have beef with me just for being English, but I really don't care for either.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 10:41
  3. Nov 9, 2019 at 11:02

Classical Mechanic Full Member

For me I do lean towards Rangers a little. This is because I lived in Scotland for a while and despite being subjected to anti-English bigotry you mention on a fairly regular basis I had a lot of time for the Scottish people, especially Glaswegians from both sides. I think they're among the most characterful people I've encountered anywhere. But if you got a Celtic fan talking on the status of their club in world football the arrogance and delusion was something I'd not experienced before. It just made me root for Rangers that little bit, although I'm only really keeping an eye on proceedings currently to see how Gerrard does.
  4. Nov 9, 2019 at 13:08

Mark_Barca Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    This is inaccurate.

Villarreal were the better team but only had 4 shots on target in 90 minutes. One was a wonder goal. Apart from a great Bacca chance Rangers defended well and scored two good goals.

Rangers were robbed away to Spartak Moscow when Morelos scored for 4-2 and was wrongly chopped off. Excellent draw with 9 men in Russia, won in Croatia against a decent Oisjek side.

Beat Maribor 3-1 at home and finished off the tie with a 0-0 draw. Making it out they played cannon fodder and struggled which is just not true. The only poor result and performance was in Vienna in the final group game.
  5. Nov 9, 2019 at 13:14

Mark_Barca Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    Other clubs in Scotland including Hearts fans are bad as well, just not highlighted by the media as much. Racism towards Morelos recently a prime example!
  6. Nov 9, 2019 at 13:25

evil_geko Full Member

I really like Celtic, never had problems talking with their fans, don't really understand the hate for them here. Rangers on the other hand is another story...
  7. Nov 9, 2019 at 14:12

Steve Bruce Full Member

I was in Manchester when the old firm where playing and the bar I was in their was literally 4 celtic supporters and 2 rangers. The rest of the bar had no interest
  8. Nov 9, 2019 at 14:49

Ed9 New Member

I know Fergie played for them but did he grow up supporting them?
  9. Nov 9, 2019 at 15:18

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Supports:
    Free Speech
    Irish United fans prefer Celtic because Catholic.

Manc United fans prefer Celtic because 2008.

Everyone else prefers Celtic because Rangers
  10. Nov 9, 2019 at 15:22

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

I remember as a kid a mate telling me I had to support Rangers because we were Chelsea fans. Being the contrary tit that I have always been, I always rooted for Celtic.

Later, when I got a bit older I found out that the "Blues Brothers" connection is not one born out of friendship and happiness so I'm glad the very young me made that decision.
  11. Nov 9, 2019 at 15:46

Denis' cuff Full Member

It basically started with Busby giving preference to catholic players. When they were scouted as youngsters, he would assure their parents that they wouldn’t go off the rails and would attend mass. Bear in mind this was in the days when travel was less taken for granted than now and these lads were leaving home from other parts of the British Isles for the first time. He had a perception that they were disadvantaged in employment, generally. Every manager that came after Busby was catholic up to Atkinson, so the trend continued, largely. At club level, there was always a cordial relationship with Celtic that I grew up with, coming from a Manc/Irish catholic family and my dad (and his brothers) was in no doubt where his leanings were, although it helped that he was brought up a walk from the ground and his father worked on the docks in neighbouring Salford. At support level, it was never universally reflected to th same degree as Celtic but there was definitely a strong catholic core (reflected in terrace songs to the tune of Irish songs ie The Irish Ploughboy etc) Really had nothing to do with subsequent ira bombing or Rangers behaviour (which was really a ruse for the bluenose City fathers putting one over United - bias in employerment again?) By this time the trend had all but died out anyway and Fergie’s appointment further reflected that.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 15:53
  12. Nov 9, 2019 at 16:24

Classical Mechanic Full Member

He did, although the sectarian thing obviously didn’t mean much in their family because his dad supported Celtic and Fergie married a catholic.
  13. Nov 9, 2019 at 18:19

Ed9 New Member

I didn't know that, thanks.
  14. Nov 9, 2019 at 20:09

Untd55 Full Member

The league definitely needs the competition. Celtic have won the last 8 league titles. It must be a bit boring to watch such a predictable league. They might as well have made a second-place cup because Celtic were in a league of their own.

Gerrard seems to have done pretty well with Rangers. Either that or Celtic have gotten worse.
  15. Nov 10, 2019 at 07:14

VanAlden New Member

SAF supports Rangers to this day.
  16. Nov 10, 2019 at 19:46

Ed9 New Member

Wow I didn't know.
  17. Nov 10, 2019 at 22:46

MC89 New Member

Supports:
    Celtic
    Good win today, should’ve scored more, great finish by Eddy, Jonny Hayes class again as was Callum.