Celtic Appoint Ronny Deila As New Manager

Bojan11

Celtic should never have pushed for Rangers to go down.

Yes they should have been punished, but I always felt relegation would have made the league much more worse.

If Giggs does a great job at Celtic it will mean nothing unless Rangers are competitive. It's sad times for the old firm when I feel Giggs and Moyes are better off joining championship clubs.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Celtic have regressed under him, they have some decent and some good players, but he really seems to have no clue how to set a team up, motivate or any tactical nous. In terms of the squad, when the team plays, the whole is far less than the sum of the parts. Leigh Griffiths (37 this season) is the only goalscorer Celtic - a team famed for its strikers and attacking football - actually have just now. Mark Warburton showed today how to set up a team and get the best out of his players, Deila has not a clue, he is incapable of making subs or tactical changes during a game when things are going wrong. The Rangers team today consisted of youngsters and free transfers, even had Griffith's free kick at the death gone in or had Celtic won the shoot-out, Rangers would have deserved all the plaudits for their performance. Celtic were shameful, they just didn't turn up, and that has happened in practically every big game they have played this season. They have done their utmost to throw away the League title this season, but Aberdeen have failed to take up the challenge miserably. Dundee United are bottom of the League just now, if their manager was in charge at Celtic just now then it wouldn't make much difference.
Born in 1990.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Yes they should have been punished, but I always felt relegation would have made the league much more worse.

If Giggs does a great job at Celtic it will mean nothing unless Rangers are competitive. It's sad times for the old firm when I feel Giggs and Moyes are better off joining championship clubs.
Yeah, plus Lennon left Celtic and ended up at the then relegation threatened Championship side, Bolton. He admitted himself that the EPL looked down on his Celtic achievements.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Rangers being in the lower leagues has undoubtedly dented Celtic, but I don't think it's affected the league all that much. Celtic and Rangers were often poor in Europe - barring the occasional good season - anyway, and title races were either the same race between the Old Firm, or one of them winning it comfortably because the other was performing poorly. Celtic will probably be glad they're back now though, for OF games on a regular basis again.

ZAGREB RED

Ronny Deila is a joke, he claims Celtic have progressed since he took over from Neil Lennon, for one reason he states that the players aren't allowed to drink Coke or Irn Bru in the canteen or have tomato sauce on their food. Progression - does that mean being knocked out of the CL in the qualifiers as opposed to getting out of a group that contained Barcelona, Benfica and Spartak Moscow. Of all the players he has signed only Craig Gordon could be considered a success thus far.
The man lives in cloud cuckoo land - Celtic have lost virtually every vital game under him this season, and more than a few last season. He is like the guy in the lab coat who has all these great ideas and theories but is utterly lost and clueless in the real world. He was originally lined up as Roy Keane's assistant but was elevated to the top job after RK pulled out. A typical penny-pinching move by the Celtic board, who have failed miserably to grasp the opportunity to put Rangers in the rear view mirror for years to come.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Leaving at the end of the season.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
He's resigned, sits out the season. Confirmed.

Castia

Announced on Twitter 20 minutes ago and nobody seems to give a feck its had like 600 retweets and 300 likes.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Announced on Twitter 20 minutes ago and nobody seems to give a feck its had like 600 retweets and 300 likes.
that's because it's celtic and scottish football. i could win the title with celtic without even bothering to do any managing whatsoever other than inspiring them before each game with an impassioned team talk that contained nothing more than the phrase "get your willies right up in their faces" repeatedly.

Robbie Boy

Seems like a nice guy but he's done a thoroughly shit job at Celtic. I was having a gander at their squad the other day and the quality of players they have these days is absolutely shocking.

Last edited:

Hammerfell

I'd honestly fancy a Warburton managed Rangers for the title next season if Celtic don't bring in someone decent.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
'Ronny has decided to leave in the summer'

:lol: Leaves on his own terms. Celtic's board is more useless than United's.

ZAGREB RED

Had to happen, I think Rodgers is Celtic's best option if he would take it. Celtic shouldn't take Keane as manager (No2 maybe), his track record as a manager is poor, Deila was actually supposed to be his assistant when Celtic had Keane lined up initially 2 years ago.
They need to bring in someone to sort it out and get them back on track not someone like Keane or Larsson as a sort of "people's choice" to get the fans back on side. Lennon is in that category but at least he did well in his first spell with results and the players he bought, for the most part anyway. He supposedly left though when he was told they were going to severely limit his transfer/wage budget though so maybe that would stop him returning.
Surprised they didn't wait till the end of the season or at least till they actually clinched the title.
I do wonder though if they might try to bring back Martin O'Neill, with Keane as No2, after the Euros, or maybe even Michael O'Neill.
I think the likes of Moyes and Rodgers would probably only take it in the absence of any better offers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lay

Funny how even though Celtic have had clear runs to the title, they still end up in a bit of a shambles. Though, a few did predict that without the threat of Rangers that Celtic would regress.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Had to happen, I think Rodgers is Celtic's best option if he would take it. Celtic shouldn't take Keane as manager (No2 maybe), his track record as a manager is poor, Deila was actually supposed to be his assistant when Celtic had Keane lined up initially 2 years ago.
They need to bring in someone to sort it out and get them back on track not someone like Keane or Larsson as a sort of "people's choice" to get the fans back on side. Lennon is in that category but at least he did well in his first spell with results and the players he bought, for the most part anyway. He supposedly left though when he was told they were going to severely limit his transfer/wage budget though so maybe that would stop him returning.
Surprised they didn't wait till the end of the season or at least till they actually clinched the title.
I do wonder though if they might try to bring back Martin O'Neill, with Keane as No2, after the Euros, or maybe even Michael O'Neill.
I think the likes of Moyes and Rodgers would probably only take it in the absence of any better offers.
Rodgers is too good for this job imho.

He is should be aiming higher.

ZAGREB RED

Rodgers is too good for this job imho.

He is should be aiming higher.
Agreed, but maybe the fact he is a Celtic fan might have some pull for him. I agree though, he could do much better. Another aspect might be if he takes it, and does well in Europe, it might bring in offers at a higher level. I seriously doubt he will be at Celtic next season....LVG maybe after he leaves United in the summer ? Mourinho at Celtic if he doesn't get the United or PSG jobs ? In case anyone wonders, tongue firmly in cheek with the last 2 comments.....

ZAGREB RED

Look at Aberdeen tonight - their last chance to put pressure on Celtic to have even any lingering chance of catching them, if Celtic slipped up on Sunday, what do Aberdeen do ? Get pumped 3-0 by St. Johnstone. Practically every chance they have had to put pressure on them they have bottled it, even stranger when you think they have actually beaten Celtic twice this season in the League, but they crumble when faced by the likes of Inverness CT, Partick and Motherwell.

Laphroaig

Seems like a nice guy but he's done a thoroughly shit job at Celtic. I was having a gander at their squad the other day and the quality of players they have these days is absolutely shocking.
But is that his fault? He's not had any money (I think) and the league doesn't have any pull these days. And how involved is he in the scouting and buying bit? That's a genuine question. The purchase of Johansen suggests he does have some input at least. And Ajer too, who will come after the season. I pity him, he's a decent talent, but nothing special. Without Deila there I reckon his Celtic stint will be a disaster.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
Look at Aberdeen tonight - their last chance to put pressure on Celtic to have even any lingering chance of catching them, if Celtic slipped up on Sunday, what do Aberdeen do ? Get pumped 3-0 by St. Johnstone. Practically every chance they have had to put pressure on them they have bottled it, even stranger when you think they have actually beaten Celtic twice this season in the League, but they crumble when faced by the likes of Inverness CT, Partick and Motherwell.
Aberdeen tonight were a disgrace, and I say that as a supporter of the club.
But I really wonder how many people on here actually watch Scottish Football?

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
I watch Scottish Football...

I have seen Aberdeen progress....There is a thread from last year, on here, where I said they'll pip Celtic...Granted, they didn't but, I do watch....Convinced you will win it soon....

As for Celtic, Giggs needs to take that job, if he is offered it

Lay

J watch it here and there. In the thread last year I said Aberdeen will finish ten points behind Celtic after a few said they'd do much better.

This season is the same, Aberdeen are a decent side but they just don't have the experience to sustain a title challenge.

Robbie Boy

But is that his fault? He's not had any money (I think) and the league doesn't have any pull these days. And how involved is he in the scouting and buying bit? That's a genuine question. The purchase of Johansen suggests he does have some input at least. And Ajer too, who will come after the season. I pity him, he's a decent talent, but nothing special. Without Deila there I reckon his Celtic stint will be a disaster.
Aye true, I find it hard to believe that he is solely involved in all of the transfer business. Some of the signings have been woeful and now the squad is filled with a-lot of deadwood. Johansen was a good signing but he's failed to hit the kind of form he showed last season and Ajer will be a very good coup if he reaches his potential.

dogwithabone

I'd love to see Giggs get this. It would be just the sort of grounding he needs to prepare himself for the United job in five or six years time.

Huge club in relative terms where the media attention would be intense. He'd also win stuff which would set a precedent of expectation.

I think he'd be a great fit.

ZAGREB RED

That's a fair point, but the fact there is a Scottish football thread on here means at least some do, although I think most people in England take little notice outside of Celtic/Rangers and/or when these teams play in Europe. Also been a fair bit of discussion on here about Ronny Deila, but to illustrate your point, i think a few people on here might well struggle to name the Celtic manager and probably very few would be able to name Aberdeen's current boss. Maybe not though..........