Centre Back Options - One injury shows our complete lack of strength in depth

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Jonny Evans had Drogba in his back pocket during his debut, it can't be totally ruled out.
League debut. He had played in the cup and CL. He also played in a backline with Rio, Evra, Neville and a midfield of Hargreaves and Scholes with Park and Fletch as extra workhorses. Mengi would debut against the strongest front 3 in the world playing next to Lindelöf and an unsettled midfield.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Say this to Southgate
Eh. He wasn't involved in the first NT break and he played 121 minutes in the 2nd break. In total he's started 7 games this season, finishing 6 of them and not played in 3 or 74% of the total available minutes this season. That's nothing. 74% of the league is 28 matches and without injuries I'd expect him to play all of them.

OleGunnar20

Shambles, how the hell has Bailly managed to put himself out of this one?! Love him as a player, but he needs to go along with Jones & Rojo ASAP. Clean the slate.

TFM - Lindelof - Shaw

For tomorrow it is then.

reelworld

Bailly is never fit, and when he plays is appalling. It’s an indication of how bad he is, that I forgot him and even remembered Jones and Rojo ahead of him.

the point is valid, that beyond Maguire and Lindelof, we don’t have any back up.

Liverpool don’t have Bailly. jones and Rojo. No other PL club would want any of them on their payroll, we have all three.
I don't see how Jones and Rojo can even considered as depth when they're not even registered for Champions League.
I agree that our actual depth is appalling when you resort to Fosu Mensah and Tuanzebe for it.
Thing is, we can't actually increase our CB depth unless we get rid of Jones and Rojo

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
It doesn't matter if Rojo and Jones are fit or not, we have left them out of our champions league squad anyway.

Eric Bailly, Tim Fosu-Mensah, Victor Lindelof, Harry Maguire and Axel Tuanzebe appear to be our CB options in europe, which would put Jones and Rojo really as our 6th and 7th placed CBs.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's him or this guy.

:lol:

In a back three, where Tuanzebe is one of the three (pace) I don't mind too much. We need McTominay's energy further up the pitch. And just because Shaw is Shaw, doesn't mean McTominay isn't a high risk at the back :nervous:

Smores

I really don't think it's that much different to many other teams. Tuanzebe is our 4th choice CB and he's equivalent to others.

Web of Bissaka

Vs PSG, just park the bus and hit counter attacks, no problem with our deadly attacks, McT and Fred need to play in midfield to help defense.

DDG
AWB -- TFM -- Lindelof -- Shaw -- Telles
McTominay -- Fred

^ That's more than enough.​

It's the next set of games (PL) that is concerning.

Bestietom

This is why a reliable PL level CB should have been prioritised. We spent the whole last season with Lindelof and Maguire who has to play through fatigue and smaller injuries. How could not alarm bells have rung? It was just a question of time until one of them caught an injury. Doesn’t matter if Bailly is amazing, which he isn’t, or if Tuanzebe has potential, when they are never fit.
Jones had potential when we bought him, but injury prone also.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Haven’t we got more senior centre backs than just about any Premier League club? I mean, I don’t particularly rate them but that’s not the point, the club chose to buy all of them.

dalriada

Haven’t we got more senior centre backs than just about any Premier League club? I mean, I don’t particularly rate them but that’s not the point, the club chose to buy all of them.
Well, there's our problem - many CBs on paper but only two senior functioning players.

As far as Jones and Rojo are concerned, they weren't named in the UEFA squad of 25 (likewise Romero) and that can't be changed until January, so any changes until then have to come from the 'B' list, effectively Mengi at CB.

Tuanzebe seems to be just about available but hasn't played for ages, Bailly is injured again, so that leaves TFM, who to be fair looked very capable in his most recent games.

You almost have to regard Jones and Rojo as if they aren't here. They aren't training with the other players, Rojo apparently doesn't want to play unless he gets regular football (which is a bizarre situation) and Ole seems to be Ole's least favourite player, even if he isn't injured (he's almost certainly not match fit). Ludicrous situation given the money they're burning, but unless the club can find buyers it's stuck with them.

dalriada

Dare I ask how Bailly has managed to get injured. He was an unused sub only 2 days ago
I'm likewise a bit mystified - the same with Lingard. Both described as "not making it" but no details of why. Unless it's a genuine injury or something that can't reasonably divulged, it's not good that we have these "no shows", particularly when we're short in defence (accepting Lingard might not be needed anyway).

flappyjay

Shambles, how the hell has Bailly managed to put himself out of this one?! Love him as a player, but he needs to go along with Jones & Rojo ASAP. Clean the slate.

TFM - Lindelof - Shaw

For tomorrow it is then.
This is the only one that makes sense without playing people's favorites. Shaw is used to lcb and Fosu-Mensah has played rcb more times than the other suggested options, whilst also being quick enough to give Mbappe a bit of a challenge.

el3mel

Just when we were afraid of having defensive issues, Tuanzebe rises from the ashes and proves he can be a fantastic option for us there ! :D

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It was a shit thread last night and it's even more of a shit thread tonight :lol: :lol: :lol:

One for the classics