Centre Back... Who do we go for?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Good old Daily Star.

08:31KEY EVENT
Solskjaer 'gives green light' to Maguire deal
United are confident of landing Harry Maguire in a £65million transfer this summer, according to reports.

It is claimed by the Daily Star that OIe Gunnar Solskjaer wants to build his defence around the England centre-back.

United were interested in signing Maguire last summer but he ended up staying at Leicester having only joined the club from Hull a year earlier.

Please no. No. Just no

Hughie77

Just hope we've got better targets than Maguire? We're not getting a top one from a top club, Varane no chance, Koulabliy maybe but big bucks.
I'm like a few others A RB maybe more needed. £65 million for Maguire to much.

jem

Maguire makes no sense to me, particularly at the prices quoted. It's debatable that he'd be an upgrade on either Smalling or Lindelof, so why bother?

Canuckred64

When you are hoping for Koulabliy and/or Varane, Maquire just doesnt cut it. The English premium of £65m is laughable, he's worth about half that.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Maguire makes no sense to me, particularly at the prices quoted. It's debatable that he'd be an upgrade on either Smalling or Lindelof, so why bother?
He might be a slight upgrade to Lindelof, but not a 65m upgrade.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Maguire is a good defender, better than Lindelof? Well, he has a few wow factor while Lindelof doesn’t. He’ll be perfect combi with Smalling’s pace but £65m is a bit too much with Lindelof has done a fine job this season. Not desperate to spend that much for a centre back who is not going to put us into another level.

el3mel

Maguire gonna be a decent buy, not the best we can get but other options will cost even more which is what I believe Woodward must be thinking about.

Won't be spectacular but will do the job.

Devil may care

Maguire is too slow and cumbersome IMO, if we3 can't get one of the best like Koulibaly, de Ligt or Varane and are hellbent on buying one anyway, then I think @Adnan guy Milenkovic is the best of the rest, decent speed and mobility for a huge guy, solid on the ball and strong in the air.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Maguire gonna be a decent buy, not the best we can get but other options will cost even more which is what I believe Woodward must be thinking about.

He would cost a similar fee to De Ligt (if reports are to be believed) and would cost more than Milenkovic. Not to mention he isn't an upgrade on our current starting 2 CBs.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Maguire is a good defender, better than Lindelof? Well, he has a few wow factor while Lindelof doesn’t. He’ll be perfect combi with Smalling’s pace but £65m is a bit too much with Lindelof has done a fine job this season. Not desperate to spend that much for a centre back who is not going to put us into another level.
Sure there was a report in the paper that they had put the price right up again.

el3mel

He would cost a similar fee to De Ligt (if reports are to be believed) and would cost more than Milenkovic. Not to mention he isn't an upgrade on our current starting 2 CBs.
De Ligt looks like to be set on Barca and how do you know Milenkovic is the one who is gonna be an upgrade on Smalling? Can very well end on the bench as well.

For me Kouilbaly is the only one who we can all agree he's the best upgrade over Smalling and the guy is gonna cost +100m, something that can't see us doing.

So Maguire at 65m gonna be good. Experienced defender in premier league and international player and good quality overall. Definitely gonna be better option to have than the likes of Jones, Rojo and shite.

I don't know why are the people here so aggressive when it comes to Maguire signing since last year. Actually the fact that almost everyone is against this signing makes me want it even more and more optimistic about its success. History of Caf with signings is not really great is it.

Cassidy

De Ligt looks like to be set on Barca and how do you know Milenkovic is the one who is gonna be an upgrade on Smalling? Can very well end on the bench as well.

For me Kouilbaly is the only one who we can all agree he's the best upgrade over Smalling and the guy is gonna cost +100m, something that can't see us doing.

So Maguire at 65m gonna be good. Experienced defender in premier league and international player and good quality overall. Definitely gonna be better option to have than the likes of Jones, Rojo and shite.

I don't know why are the people here so aggressive when it comes to Maguire signing since last year. Actually the fact that almost everyone is against this signing makes me want it even more and more optimistic about its success. History of Caf with signings is not really great is it.
I didn't say I did, I simply said he a cheaper option than Maguire who isn't an upgrade on Smalling so could end up on the bench and costing us more money. Since you said the other options other than Maguire would cost more, then it make sense to point out that isn't correct.

el3mel

I didn't say I did, I simply said he a cheaper option than Maguire who isn't an upgrade on Smalling so could end up on the bench and costing us more money. Since you said the other options other than Maguire would cost more, then it make sense to point out that isn't correct.
Other better options than Maguire like Kouilbaly are going to cost more that's for sure. As for Milenkovic there's nothing that makes him a definite "better" option than Maguire at all except opinions. Maybe he's costing less because he's not as good?

Cassidy

Other better options than Maguire like Kouilbaly are going to cost more that's for sure. As for Milenkovic there's nothing that makes him a definite "better" option than Maguire at all except opinions. Maybe he's costing less because he's not as good?
Or maybe Maguire is in a price bracket he doesn't belong in. My point was anyway not to even say he was better, but was to point out your statement (all over options being more expensive) was factually incorrect.

Personally if we are paying £65m for a CB he better be better than the 2 we have already

Patrick08

We should stop worrying about cost in that position to be honest. An elite level cb is what we need and we should get either of the two in koulibaly or de ligt.

el3mel

Or maybe Maguire is in a price bracket he doesn't belong in. My point was anyway not to even say he was better, but was to point out your statement (all over options being more expensive) was factually incorrect.

Personally if we are paying £65m for a CB he better be better than the 2 we have already
Nope it's not. I said better options than Maguire will cost more. Claiming Milenkovic is better than Maguire is just your opinion with nothing to make it a fact.

el3mel

We should stop worrying about cost in that position to be honest. An elite level cb is what we need and we should get either of the two in koulibaly or de ligt.
I agree but not sure we'll do it. Koulibaly is my perfect choice.

Cassidy

Nope it's not. I said better options than Maguire will cost more. Claiming Milenkovic is better than Maguire is just your opinion with nothing to make it a fact.

Maybe you meant to say better, but it is not what you said. Also better than Maguire? Or better than what we have? Better than Maguire I would argue that incorrect, its not going to cost us more than £65m to find someone better than him. Better than what we already have, then possibly.

Varunie1208

I think natural fitness and injury proneness would be two very important factors to consider. Ideally we’d want someone who could play week in week out alongside Bailly and form a proper partnership. Rotating central defenders doesn’t seem like a very good idea to me.

I’ll edit him out
No way on Bailly. he's made of glass, can't distribute and frankly isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. lindelof needs a partner.

el3mel

Maybe you meant to say better, but it is not what you said. Also better than Maguire? Or better than what we have? Better than Maguire I would argue that incorrect, its not going to cost us more than £65m to find someone better than him. Better than what we already have, then possibly.
It's really clearly I meant better options in the market.

Just because you're underrating Maguire and thinking some other defenders are better than him is your opinion. It's simply not a fact as you're treating it.

Any better or world class options will be 70-100m. Anyone less than 50m in such era and I'll highly doubt his quality.

Cassidy

It's really clearly I meant better options in the market.

Just because you're underrating Maguire and thinking some other defenders are better than him is your opinion. It's simply not a fact as you're treating it.

Any better or world class options will be 70-100m. Anyone less than 50m in such era and I'll highly doubt his quality.
Its also not a fact as you are stating that any better options would be more expensive which was the point of my post to point out to you that, that was not correct as I stated a while ago

Why does better than him have to mean world class?

Just because you’re overrating Maguire doesnt mean other defenders are not better than him it is your opinion :rolleyes:

Again I simply disagree with you that getting a better CB than Magqure would
cost us more than 65m

The second thing is if we are going to spend 65m or more we have to sign a CB better than our current starters which Maguire is not (IMO)

Last edited:

el3mel

Its also not a fact as you are stating that any better options would be more expensive which was the point of my post to point out to you that, that was not correct as I stated a while ago

Why does better than him have to mean world class?
Yeah and your example that my point was wrong was pointing out Milenkovic will cost less even though there's absolutely nothing to prove he's better than Maguire except your opinion really.

We can go in this cycle of repeating posts for few more pages, I have no problem.

Cassidy

Yeah and your example that my point was wrong was pointing out Milenkovic will cost less even though there's absolutely nothing to prove he's better than Maguire except your opinion really.

We can go in this cycle of repeating posts for few more pages, I have no problem.
Again as I stated before I didnt say he was better I simply mentioned him as an example of another option. Since you didnt actully say better and it wasnt obvious....

Yes circles I agree

But you dont need to make out I said someone was better when I clearly did not

el3mel

Again as I stated before I didnt say he was better I simply mentioned him as an example of another option. Since you didnt actully say better and it wasnt obvious....

Yes circles I agree

But you dont need to make out I said someone was better when I clearly did not
Why would you point him as an option to sign instead of Maguire for less money if you don't think he's better option.

Anyway we can agree to disagree.

For me the best option for us is definitely Kouilbaly and beyond him most other defenders are up for debate.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Maguire is too slow and cumbersome IMO, if we3 can't get one of the best like Koulibaly, de Ligt or Varane and are hellbent on buying one anyway, then I think @Adnan guy Milenkovic is the best of the rest, decent speed and mobility for a huge guy, solid on the ball and strong in the air.
Couldn't agree more..

Milenkovic has mostly been used at RB at Fiorentina due to how strong they're at CB. With Mourinho not at the helm anymore, I don't think the young Serb is as big of a priority for Ole. I can see Mourinho buying him for the club he eventually ends up at.

I'd take Milenkovic over Maguire due to what you posted regarding their attributes. Milenkovic would cost less and has a higher ceiling than Maguire

Last edited:

Cassidy

Why would you point him as an option to sign instead of Maguire for less money if you don't think he's better option.

Anyway we can agree to disagree.

For me the best option for us is definitely Kouilbaly and beyond him most other defenders are up for debate.
I think I explained that already.
Maguire IMO isnt better than our starters. So if were getting someone who may be a bench option then we should spend less and focus on their future potential.

I agree I would certainly prefer Koulibaly.
But my main point was at the money being quoted for Maguire it doesnt make any sense to me to go for him