Centre Back... Who do we go for?

settembrini

The tabloids in Germany and England think Zagadou could be moving this summer. Which is what I thought would happen when they signed Hummels.

Bild say that he has told his agent to find him a new club and the Sun say that Arsenal want him but are being hamstrung by their small transfer budget.

Rubbish sources but it makes sense to me that he would leave and if he does then I hope we for for him. His potential is huge and as a left sided, physically dominant centre back he would be a perfect foil for Lindelof. His downside is a lack of experience but that also applies to James and Wan-Bissaka so is clearly not a worry for Solskjaer.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No news of a CB signing at all lately. If we go into another season with Jones and/or Smalling likely to play alongside Lindelof then we simply were not paying attention last season. I am convinced that most of the problems in our team start in central defense.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
I am not sure, why it is so hard fo find a decent CB for ManUtd? There are other guys than de Ligt. In the Bundesliga i would mention Tah (23), Konaté (20) and Zagadou (20) as talented center backs.

Reactions: Varun

Allas8

I am not sure, why it is so hard fo find a decent CB for ManUtd? There are other guys than de Ligt. In the Bundesliga i would mention Tah (23), Konaté (20) and Zagadou (20) as talented center backs.
How would you rate Tuanzebe?

Skåre Willoch

As long as we sign someone, I'm happy really.

But please. Break the bank for De Ligt. If not, at least try to get someone like Maguire or Koulibaly. Not spending big at CB is objectively bad for business.

starman

Hopefully whoever we sign, a CB is next.

RB, CB, RW/FW are the absolute priorities this window and in that order. So one down, two to go....

Robbo*

Have you watched him regularly. Is he good enough to start and where would you put left CB or right cb
If we didn’t sign another CB now I’d be up for starting the season with Tuanzebe and Lindelof at the back. If nothing else it will give the staff and us lot a better look at him, and him the opportunity to bed in rather than come into the team in November when Jones, Smalling and Bailly are all injured.

If we don’t decide to do this, I wouldn’t be surprised if by the new year he is in the team anyway due to the inevitable injury crisis and some strong performances by him in the Europa League.

croadyman

Honestly feel that Utd need to keep more of an open mind when it comes to CB. There only seems to be links to Maguire and looks like they have been priced out for Koulibaly.

Might be worth looking at some of these guys mentioned in previous posts such as Milenkovic,Romagnoli,Andersen and Tah.

Mylock

We should look to buy 2 CB's, Aldervard and William Saliba. We could get both for under 60m. Aldvervard is still a top CB, where Saiba is going to be the next Varane. we could leave Saiba out on loan for the season until we clear out the deadwood. it would be a big mistake to miss out on him.

davidmichael

I’d happily sell Bailly, Rojo and Jones then sign Alderweireld and keep Tuanzebe so our options would be Alderweireld, Tuanzebe, Lindelof and Smalling. I’d also take us signing Maguire instead of Alderweireld as I think Maguire and Tuanzebe would complement each other perfectly.

Paddyreus

First off, bring Tuanbeze home.

Now focus on Koulibaly, Diaz, Linderlof and Tuanbeze

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Putting a lot of faith in Tuanzebe go perform if we don’t sign someone.

At this point I don’t think we will sign a CB and while I’m a big fan of Tuanzebe it’s asking a lot of him to be a starter.

ZLATAN9

We need Premier League proven all these risks on players from other leagues We can't afford for it not to work.

I think Alderweild at 25m would be a steal.
Also a lot of talk about Maguire I'm Not sure if he is fast enough for us so maybe Diop? Better then what we have.

The only problem we have is we've accumalated alot of CB's over last few years and Signed them on improved good contracts no one wants to leave , I would be surprised if we sign a CB as it would add to the long list we have .

For players like Darmian and Rojo They should be long gone by now shouldn't they?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bestietom

At this point I don’t think we will sign a CB and while I’m a big fan of Tuanzebe it’s asking a lot of him to be a starter.
It's a big ask from the youngster as a lot of fans want a big money signing for this position, but if he gets the chance I would back him to take it.

Pav1878

From what I've seen I think Spurs and Arsenal are quietly onto a winner with Saliba.

Strong, packet, reads the game well and has developed under the French system playing with very good players. We would be able to get him cheaper and probably best those two clubs to his signature

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
How would you rate Tuanzebe?
I can´t rate him. I only can tell, that Tah, Konaté and Zagadou are talented and have proven themself in the Bundesliga. I probably would try to sign Tah (23), because he far enough in his development to take the next step.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
The entire problem is nobody wants to buy Rojo, Smalling or Jones.

We're saddled with all of them.

Tuanzebe better get a chance and take it.

Lee565

The entire problem is nobody wants to buy Rojo, Smalling or Jones.

We're saddled with all of them.

Tuanzebe better get a chance and take it.
I think smalling could get into a team languishing between 7thth and 10th, maybe even Arsenal's side, the others are pretty hopeless, in hindsight we should have sent Rojo out on loan a season or two ago even if it meant paying a up to half of his wages as it's done no favours keeping here with handful of appearances per season on his full wages and plummeting his value even further down.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Curious who people would play Tuanzebe alongside because I don’t think he’d compliment lindelof at all

croadyman

We simply have to buy a CB and despite the cost think we should go all in for Koulibaly. My gut feeling is that this hinges on money and not champions league football.

Seems to me that is a case of either put up or shut up,however knowing Ed he will do the latter and we could get the same situation as last summer.

Le Red

We should look to buy 2 CB's, Aldervard and William Saliba. We could get both for under 60m. Aldvervard is still a top CB, where Saiba is going to be the next Varane. we could leave Saiba out on loan for the season until we clear out the deadwood. it would be a big mistake to miss out on him.
Is your keyboard missing letters?

The Last Jedaiiii

Much cheaper as well. If we are to go domestic, why not offer the likes of Jones as makeweights for say Maguire? That way you reduce transfer fees and remove dead wood from the books.

SER19

Catastrophe if we don't sign a CB. Cost us so much last season. Unless bailly somehow emerges like lindelof has. Even lindelof people seem to forget had a dreadful start to season I was sure West ham away was the last we'd see him under mourinho

Sea-Cow

To the people wanting to see Tuanzabe next year, or saying he is the best (!!) CB we have at the club.... I am sorry, but I just don't understand it.

I appreciate the optimism in our youth, but come on... there is just no evidence at all to support this! From what I remember, the consensus amongst Villa fans was that Mings was comfortably the better player. That is Tyrone Mings! If we were to buy him this place would melt down with the negative reaction, but yet some of you want a lesser player to come in and be our new CB?

Axel might one day be a prem level CB, and I hope he has a successful career, but expecting it to be next season for a team hoping to return to the top 4, is quite frankly ludicrous.