Centre Back... Who do we go for?

croadyman

Sport Bild: The newspaper states that he has a release clause of around €40m this summer and has made it clear he would like to leave the club.

His ‘dream destination’ is England and to achieve this, he’s already swapped to the British agency Stellar, who are run by Jonathan Barnett.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/man-unite...er-backed-player-pushing-move-swapped-agents/
Maybe we could get him, Grealish & Sancho if there was any truth to that release clause figure. I know it's very unlikely but nothing wrong in hoping.

Could be useful that he and Jack are both from the same agency but probably wouldn't matter at all.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
@JPRouve What's your opinion on Benoit Badiashile. Do you think he's ready for a step up to challenge for a first team place at United or is it too early?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Badiashile and Upamecano have both been on our radar for years, and we’ve tried to do deals. We’ve shown a willingness to return before, and our targets tend to remain targets for years so long as they continue developing.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@JPRouve What's your opinion on Benoit Badiashile. Do you think he's ready for a step up to challenge for a first team place at United or is it too early?
He hasn't played much this season, after October he has mainly been out of the team. I would say that he isn't ready, it wouldn't be a bad idea for him to join Leipzig if Upamecano leaves. But I think that he has been linked with Rennes who are building an interesting new project.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He hasn't played much this season, after October he has mainly been out of the team. I would say that he isn't ready, it wouldn't be a bad idea for him to join Leipzig if Upamecano leaves. But I think that he has been linked with Rennes who are building an interesting new project.
Cheers..

E-mal

@JPRouve what's your opinion on Kounde in Seville, I have been impressed with him this season. My only worry is aerial issues with him. Other than that, he has impressed me.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@JPRouve what's your opinion on Kounde in Seville, I have been impressed with him this season. My only worry is aerial issues with him. Other than that, he has impressed me.
I haven't watched Sevilla but he was alright with Bordeaux, I generally don't have a lot of good things to say about their players because it's a chore to watch that team play football. Currently among you french CBs I wouldn't really look beyond Upamecano, Konaté, Kouassi, Todibo and Saliba. If we want to take a gamble maybe Barcelona would welcome an offer for Todibo.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We haven't been linked to any CB so far. It just seems like this position isn't a priority on next transfer.

Pav1878

Wouldn't be surprised if it's Badiashile, he fits the profile and we have been linked with him, and wouldn't cost a bomb.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We have. We've been linked with Badiashile Rodon Pau Torres and Salisu by reliable sourcss
Didn't know this. It seems like none is (potential) "world class" though. Which defeat the purpose of getting new CB. But I don't know much on any of those (maybe Rodon, but i don't have any impression of him).

SirScholes

One thing is for sure, picking the right CB this summer will be Ole's first real test.
His first test? Absolutely not

When he first came in after mou he needed to remove the stench mou left
When the honeymoon period ended and he had to motivate everyone again
Our best players being injured
The lock down
Signing the right talisman (fernandes)

Off the top of my head

croadyman

We haven't been linked to any CB so far. It just seems like this position isn't a priority on next transfer.
This is coming from a reddit tier 2 on transfers, I realise it doesn't disclose any names at all but at least does suggest a CB is on the radar.

Priority: The absolute priority is to get a RW in, secondary seems to be more on the CB front, and then another creative midfielder (Note this info came in BEFORE AkeGate).

keithsingleton

Is it a question of who we go for or who we can afford?

I'd like to go for Kalidou Koulibaly, he's a beast but price tag put on him makes it near impossible.

Milan Skriniar worth a mention and possibly Nathan Ake but not really watched them enough.

Thoughs anyone?

croadyman

I'd like to go for Kalidou Koulibaly, he's a beast but price tag put on him makes it near impossible.

Milan Skriniar worth a mention and possibly Nathan Ake but not really watched them enough.

Thoughs anyone?
Yeah I cannot see us signing both a marquee CB and RW in this window.

Like I said in a previous post I think we need to take our time and find the right CB rather than just buying one for the sake of it.

Last edited:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

Thoughs anyone?
Definitely Skriniar and Koulibaly are the top two options but the former won’t leave Inter. And regarding the second is Ole the type of manager to spend big again on a CB or is he going to go the youth route and buy a lesser known name but with potential for around 40m?

No Love

Wait a second! Are people here suggesting we actually buy Mings?
I can only assume those who think that haven’t watched him extensively enough. Aside from (IMO) not being of sufficient quality, he has a propensity for trodding on the head of downed opposition players. Insufficient ability coupled with a very questionable attitude ensures we shouldn’t go near him. Thankfully, Ole looks at the quality of the man as well the quality of the player, so I can’t see Mings being a realistic option. I think I made these points in a different thread recently; however, they’re applicable in here too.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Maybe we could get him, Grealish & Sancho if there was any truth to that release clause figure. I know it's very unlikely but nothing wrong in hoping.

Could be useful that he and Jack are both from the same agency but probably wouldn't matter at all.
" The website claimed they had been in contact with the player’s entourage and were ready to make a move to take him from Leipzig this summer. "

As soon as I hear the words "entourage" when it comes to dealing with a player, I don't want him. My immediate thoughts are if this player has an entourage, then he's going to be more trouble than he's worth...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Nathan Ake seems like the obvious pick for me. Young, quick, left footed, he's a good defender and good with the ball, and his team is likely going to get relegated. If he wants to come to United, then I say we make a serious bid for him...

Champagne Football

Nathan Ake seems like the obvious pick for me. Young, quick, left footed, he's a good defender and good with the ball, and his team is likely going to get relegated. If he wants to come to United, then I say we make a serious bid for him...
Bournemouth are going down. We could probably land him for 20 million. I think it's a no brainer as that is the max we can afford after Sancho, and Ake can cover also for Matic as a defensive midfielder as that's where he used to play

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
This is coming from a reddit tier 2 on transfers, I realise it doesn't disclose any names at all but at least does suggest a CB is on the radar.

Priority: The absolute priority is to get a RW in, secondary seems to be more on the CB front, and then another creative midfielder (Note this info came in BEFORE AkeGate).
Good to know. Thanks, mate.

The Red Thinker

Smalling. Still the best CB United have.
Just because Smalling is excelling in the Serie A in a different system, doesn’t magically make him a ball playing centre half.

We cannot at any cost take a defender who can’t pass in tight situations. So much of our build up play is from the keeper to the defender. It’s about remaining calm in possession. Smalling for all his pros... has a con that he can’t fix at this stage of his career.

nainaisson

Just because Smalling is excelling in the Serie A in a different system, doesn’t magically make him a ball playing centre half.

We cannot at any cost take a defender who can’t pass in tight situations. So much of our build up play is from the keeper to the defender. It’s about remaining calm in possession. Smalling for all his pros... has a con that he can’t fix at this stage of his career.
I'm forced to wonder whether anyone who wants Smalling back has actually watched us play this season. With Smalling in the back line, we might as well just give the ball to the closest pressing opposition forward.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'm forced to wonder whether anyone who wants Smalling back has actually watched us play this season. With Smalling in the back line, we might as well just give the ball to the closest pressing opposition forward.
Smalling rarely gave the ball away. He knew he was poor on the ball so didn't try to do too much. He just normally made the easiest safest pass.

The Red Thinker

Don't think these people even analyse the game as a whole. It's all "defending", "attacking", "pace", "power" ... All well and good and that is in consideration in every discussion.

But, a team's style of play cannot be discussed that way. A system is only as reliable as it's players. If the player cannot pass the ball out from the back when under a heavy press, he will destroy the whole system. Simple as that.

The Red Thinker

Smalling rarely gave the ball away. He knew he was poor on the ball so didn't try to do too much. He just normally made the easiest safest pass.
Agree completely.

It's not just about giving the ball away is it now? It's about playing the ball out from the back with smart decisions, good technique and timed efficiency.

The BEST PASS is a lot different from a safe pass.

The Red Thinker

What worries me about Ake is that he is just a fast Lindelof. He too is not great with headers. Last thing we want is another defender who does okay with headers, but is not likely to come second best more often than not. He's 6ft which is quite short for a CB. He's not Patrice Evra who had an amazing spring.

Saddy

Declan Rice appeared on our radar a lot in the past year but Chelsea or City are now being quoted as being interested - probably Chelsea are the front runners.

He would fit perfectly into our need for another CB and cover for Matic IMO

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
What worries me about Ake is that he is just a fast Lindelof. He too is not great with headers. Last thing we want is another defender who does okay with headers, but is not likely to come second best more often than not. He's 6ft which is quite short for a CB. He's not Patrice Evra who had an amazing spring.
You haven't watched him play if you think he's just as fast as Lindelof. I picked Ake because his attributes compliment Maguire. The main one being his speed. And he doesn't need to be great at headers (not sure if he is or isn't to be fair) because Maguire is. It's about complimenting each other. Rio and Vidic were great because their attributes were different. Vidic and Terry are probably two of the greatest defeders ever to play in the EPL but they probably wouldn't make good defensive partners because their attributes were too similar and didn't compliment each other...

poleglass red

You haven't watched him play if you think he's just as fast as Lindelof. I picked Ake because his attributes compliment Maguire. The main one being his speed. And he doesn't need to be great at headers (not sure if he is or isn't to be fair) because Maguire is. It's about complimenting each other. Rio and Vidic were great because their attributes were different. Vidic and Terry are probably two of the greatest defeders ever to play in the EPL but they probably wouldn't make good defensive partners because their attributes were too similar and didn't compliment each other...
the previous poster said he's just a fast Lindelof, he didn't say just as fast. He felt that Ake is just a faster version of him. I don't agree with assertion but that's what he was saying.