Centre Back... Who do we go for?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Maybe we could get him, Grealish & Sancho if there was any truth to that release clause figure. I know it's very unlikely but nothing wrong in hoping.

Could be useful that he and Jack are both from the same agency but probably wouldn't matter at all.
Jonathan Barnett also represents Dean Henderson, Daniel James, Ethan Laird, Tahith Chong, Aliou Traore, Anthony Elanga and Marcos Rojo from memory. So it's interesting that Konate switched to Jonathan Barnett in particular, because United do seem to have a solid link with him it seems.

Last edited:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Jonathan Barnett also represents Dean Henderson, Daniel James, Ethan Laird, Tahith Chong and Marcos Rojo from memory. So it's interesting that Konate switched to Jonathan Barnett in particular, because United do seem to have a solid link with him it seems.
Would love Konate but I always felt Upamecano would be the one to move this window

Can't help but laugh at this comment (meaning laughing with you of course)

it's a shame really with Jones he always showed promise
I really like Phil Jones. Genuinely I’d be sad to see him leave. He never moans he knows he’s not the player he could be and yet he still keeps going. He’s a walking china shop ready to be smashed by whatever bull he tries to play with but god loves a trier!

RUCK4444

Upamecano ticks all the boxes imo.

We need somebody to partner Maguire long term. A lot of our good attacking play will be wasted unless we have a settled CB pairing.

Lindelof can be the cover.

LuckyScout78

Right now i am watching closely on the super fast and aggressive CB from Turkey playing for Leicester City. How much do you think they will ask for this time?

He is not tall. But he is really good on the rest. He would be a beast if he was 1.90-93 cm tall. And if the top acceleration and speed are still there. Could be an option.

croadyman

Jonathan Barnett also represents Dean Henderson, Daniel James, Ethan Laird, Tahith Chong, Aliou Traore, Anthony Elanga and Marcos Rojo from memory. So it's interesting that Konate switched to Jonathan Barnett in particular, because United do seem to have a solid link with him it seems.
Hmmm didn't realise that Konate had joined his client list,maybe there is something in these links to Utd then

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hmmm didn't realise that Konate had joined his client list,maybe there is something in these links to Utd then
It was reported by Sport Bild that Konate wants to leave and sees the EPL as his next destination. Sport Bild also stated that he has a €40m buyout in his contract.

-Supreme-

It was reported by Sport Bild that Konate wants to leave and sees the EPL as his next destination. Sport Bild also stated that he has a €40m buyout in his contract.
I wonder how much truth when Ole mentioned about looking for a left footed CB

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So it seems we might be on the look out for a new CB if the likes of Ducker, Dawson etc are anything to go by.

I also don't buy into this LCB lark personally and hope we go for the best one (regardless of foot fetish) that suits a team playing high risk football.

A new CB for me is more important than signing Grealish or VdB IMO. Sancho and a new CB with huge potential would be the way to go IMO.

-Supreme-

So it seems we might be on the look out for a new CB if the likes of Ducker, Dawson etc are anything to go by.

I also don't buy into this LCB lark personally and hope we go for the best one (regardless of foot fetish) that suits a team playing high risk football.

A new CB for me is more important than signing Grealish or VdB IMO. Sancho and a new CB with huge potential would be the way to go IMO.
I hope there isn't too much truth to it if I'm honest.
Yes I agree. A new CB will immediately improve our starting XI, unlike someone like Grealish or VdB.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Here's a selection, mix of prominent CBs and some we've been linked with. The ones in bold are left footed.

% Aerial Duels Won
Ibrahima Konaté79%
Dan-Axel Zagadou77%
Jordan Torunarigha76%
Virgil van Dijk75%
Harry Maguire74%
Chris Smalling70%
Ozan Kabak67%
Jonathan Tah66%
Dayot Upamecano66%
Alessandro Bastoni65%
Matthijs de Ligt65%
Benoit Badiashile64%
Gabriel Magalhaes62%
Alessio Romagnoli60%
Mohammed Salisu60%
Kalidou Koulibaly59%
Eric Bailly55%
Nathan Aké51%
Interesting list - where did you get those stats from? Would like to know if there are other areas covered too.

We of course will need a centre back who is composed on the ball, given how we want to play. Other than that, what we really need is a defender who loves to defend, someone dynamic, powerful and quick. Then Maguire can just play his elder statesman role next to them. Lindelof and Tuanzebe as cover + youth, sell the rest.

CM

I imagine we'll have to sell before we buy when it comes to a CB, but if we are in for one I would hope we're aiming a bit higher than Nathan Ake.

Womp

idiot
Surely it's Upamencano? If the rumours of that release clause are true, we could get him alongside Sancho, given we make some smart sales. I do think Konate is the better of the two, but he would cost significantly more given the contract situation imo

croadyman

Yeah I am hoping they are right about us going for a CB but end up being wrong about no interest in signing a midfielder because you absolutely need squad depth to challenge for all trophies and we are still lacking that right now

JohnnyLaw

Here's a selection, mix of prominent CBs and some we've been linked with. The ones in bold are left footed.

% Aerial Duels Won
Ibrahima Konaté79%
Dan-Axel Zagadou77%
Jordan Torunarigha76%
Virgil van Dijk75%
Harry Maguire74%
Chris Smalling70%
Ozan Kabak67%
Jonathan Tah66%
Dayot Upamecano66%
Alessandro Bastoni65%
Matthijs de Ligt65%
Benoit Badiashile64%
Gabriel Magalhaes62%
Alessio Romagnoli60%
Mohammed Salisu60%
Kalidou Koulibaly59%
Eric Bailly55%
Nathan Aké51%
Zagadou is also left footed?

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I imagine we'll have to sell before we buy when it comes to a CB, but if we are in for one I would hope we're aiming a bit higher than Nathan Ake.
Smalling looks like he is gone for sure at the end of the season for 18-20m. Rojo is not coming back. Two gone already. Talk of Moyes wanting Jones so hopefully that works out too.

Rauður Djöfull

Rumour that Bayern will try and buy Havertz if they offload Alaba and Thiago. Surely we can help them out and at least buy one of them :p
Always wanted Alaba at Man Utd so would be great. Also always had a soft spot for Jose Gimenez but he seems unlikely to leave Atletico.

Andersons Dietician

Don’t tease me with this. I’d snap their hands off if it was true.

My only concern is I wonder If he was purchased which role in the partnership they would both play. You would think Konaté being the better athlete he’d be the better sweeper and letting Harry challenge for stuff. Thing is I think Konaté himself prefers to be the aggresso.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Don’t tease me with this. I’d snap their hands off if it was true.

My only concern is I wonder If he was purchased which role in the partnership they would both play. You would think Konaté being the better athlete he’d be the better sweeper and letting Harry challenge for stuff. Thing is I think Konaté himself prefers to be the aggresso.
Konate could do either, but what he would give us importantly is the option of playing a very high line against even the best teams which would be a game changer imo. And then you have his monster capability of winning duels on the ground and in the air which would give the attack a solid foundation to throw caution to the wind.

His ability to bring the ball out from defence would have to be tempered playing alongside Maguire though.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Konate could do either, but what he would give us importantly is the option of playing a very high line against even the best teams which would be a game changer imo. And then you have his monster capability of winning duels on the ground and in the air which would give the attack a solid foundation to throw caution to the wind.

His ability to bring the ball out from defence would have to be tempered playing alongside Maguire though.
I'm sold on this one. As a CB, this guy can play.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm sold on this one. The guy is a real footballer.

I just don't understand why there isn't a clamour for him like there was for De Ligt. I think Konate is better as a all round CB. And the way Konate absolutely bullied Lewandowski as a 19 year old was stunning.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I just don't understand why there isn't a clamour for him like there was for De Ligt. I think Konate is better as a all round CB. And the way Konate absolutely bullied Lewandowski as a 19 year old was stunning.
De Ligt had that CL exposure. Maybe. But who knows? Hopefully we can find another gem like Bruno with this one.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
De Ligt had that CL exposure. Maybe. But who knows? Hopefully we can find another gem like Bruno with this one.
I think you're right.

In think with this guy you find the closest thing to Van Dyke I've ever seen. He has unbelievable potential and I hope we're in Jonathan Barnett's ear to secure his services whenever that may be.

Last edited:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We need to unearth a gem here. Someone highly rated in the Russian league on the cheap.

CM

Smalling looks like he is gone for sure at the end of the season for 18-20m. Rojo is not coming back. Two gone already. Talk of Moyes wanting Jones so hopefully that works out too.
Aye, I expect there will be outgoings. Hopefully in the cases of Rojo and Jones we don't have to hang about for long.

croadyman

I think you're right.

In think with this guy you find the closest thing to Van Dyke I've ever seen. He has unbelievable potential and I hope we're in Jonathan Barnett's ear to secure his services whenever that may be.
Yeah we have obviously discussed Grealish with him so if you are prioritising a CB over that,need to see if we can negotiate a deal for this guy first.