Centre Back... Who do we go for?

meninred

Ole has two minimum jobs this season
get a striker
sort central defense
get another midfielder ( optional )

i think gk and full back positions are covered for now with backups available as well
we need 4 central defenders and perhaps one more youngster since defenders can get injured easily.
Ole has to decide on Rojo..Jones.smalling..bailley ,Tuanzebe and Timothy fosu mensah whether to keep them or get another defender.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
@meninred Striker isn’t a priority this summer. Why are people hell bent on overpaying for a striker but not okay paying for a position that actually needs immediate strengthening in the RW? CB yes I agree we need to get better too. But striker can definitely wait till next year.

croadyman

@meninred Striker isn’t a priority this summer. Why are people hell bent on overpaying for a striker but not okay paying for a position that actually needs immediate strengthening in the RW? CB yes I agree we need to get better too. But striker can definitely wait till next year.
Nothing in the striker links at all in my opinion,just remember who we didn't sign in that position

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Nothing in the striker links at all in my opinion,just remember who we didn't sign in that position
Won’t be the first time we missed out on someone big and certainly won’t be the last. We were in a bad place with his agent at that time and the board didn’t see fit to deal with him.

croadyman

Won’t be the first time we missed out on someone big and certainly won’t be the last. We were in a bad place with his agent at that time and the board didn’t see fit to deal with him.
I actually meant Werner and think we will be in the race for Haaland when the clause is activated.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah we have obviously discussed Grealish with him so if you are prioritising a CB over that,need to see if we can negotiate a deal for this guy first.
I hope so, because for me he's the absolute standout candidate for what we need. He has everything in his locker to be among the very best in his position.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Agreed. Konate is the one.
He's still very young as well (21). Looks like a perfect partner for Maguire. And might persuade Pogba to stay around, with another French legion joining in.

I hope we don't wait until the like of Juventus or Barca shows interest. If the price is right, of course.

Last edited:

croadyman

He's still very young as well (21). Looks like a perfect partner for Maguire. And might persuade Pogba to stay around, with another French legion joining in.

I hope we don't wait until the like of Juventus or Barca shows interest. If the price is right, of course.
Haven't been any links to him at all though which is worrying for someone so talented

jamesjimmybyrondean

The striker links makes some sense though. Yes Ighalo is here till January but January is a very bad time to get one. Ighalo was literally a panic loan at the the last hour. We spent all of January looking for a striker but no one wanted to sell at all and we had to go all the way to China where they weren't playing any football and still even that team valued Ighalo.

So unless we want to wait till January when Ighalo's loan expires then start panicking again because cluvs wouldn't sell their strikers then if makes sense to target one now. I can see us striking a deal with Bournemouth for King

UpWithRivers

Not gonna happen but we should sell all the backups except Tuanzebe. They are all too injury prone, useless or dont want to be here. How did we get to a situation where we have 7 CB's and the majority are useless to us?

Sell - Smalling 20m, Jones 10m , Rojo 10m and even Bailly 20m. - 50/60 m
Buy Sarr on a free + Konate or Upamacano - 50m

That would leave - Maguire /Lindelof / Tuanzebe / Konate / Sarr - much better if you ask me

Plus if Liepzig are loosing their CB's then part exchange should interest them - Bailly + Smalling would be a good CB pairing :)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Haven't been any links to him at all though which is worrying for someone so talented
We have been linked to him with Sport Bild saying we have a serious interest in the player and the players dream destination is England. They also reported that the player wants to leave and had a meeting scheduled with Leipzig chief Markus Krosche before Covid-19 hit which postponed things. The player also changed agents and is now represented by Jonathan Barnett who United have a very strong link with.

I think things will become clearer once our league season is over which will give Ole a better idea of how much there's to spend.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I dont think we are after a CB that can pair with Maguire. Ole does say we are looking for a left footed CB and we've been linked by reliable sources to Torres Salisu Rodon Badiashile. Asides from Rodon they are all left footed and none of them would start. We are probably looking for someone that would replace our left footed CBs Rojo and Jones if they leave.

If we are looking for a left footed CB to pair with Maguire then there are very few with proven quality and available and they would demand a price I don't see us paying after spending so much on Sancho. Alaba is also probably the only one that may be good enough and available given his contract issues and I don't see us interested in him too.

So for me If the plan is for a left footed CB then i think we are definitely looking for a Daniel James type of signing (very cheap but with potential) rather than someone to pair with Maguire. Tuanzebe has also gotten high praise from Ole and even though he's injured Ole would probably want to give him the chance to see if he can stake his claim in the starting 11

jamesjimmybyrondean

We have been linked to him with Sport Bild saying we have a serious interest in the player and the players dream destination is England. They also reported that the player wants to leave and had a meeting scheduled with Leipzig chief Markus Krosche before Covid-19 hit which postponed things. The player also changed agents and is now represented by Jonathan Barnett who United have a very strong link with.

I think things will become clearer once our league season is over which will give Ole a better idea of how much there's to spend.
Sport Bild is a bad source

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Was the person that wrote the story reliable? I just think if Konate had a release clause and was interested in coming to the pl we would have seen more reports
I don't know know who the journo was because I can't remember now.

We have signed players in the past out of the blue without any speculation at all. Martial is one example..

Bondi77

He looks impressive to me and has good stats aerially which I think is a must for the Premier League.
The link to Ake makes no sense to me as Shaw has looked decent when played as a LCB and he is quicker and taller believe it or not.

Andersons Dietician

I just don't understand why there isn't a clamour for him like there was for De Ligt. I think Konate is better as a all round CB. And the way Konate absolutely bullied Lewandowski as a 19 year old was stunning.
It is weird when you consider Upemcampo gets lots of hype but Konaté is easily the better of the two by some distance. Maybe people just know the name more as he was hyped first And have stuck to it.

Onerealunited

I have long had a love for Ozan Kabak of Schalke. He is young, atletic, strong and have very good positioning skills compared to his age. I would definitely go for him as a man for the future. He is only 20 years old

Infra-red

Interesting and i'm not surprised Konate is top.
Me neither. He's tall, strong, fast - basically a nightmare to go up against in defensive duels, whether on the ground or in the air. That is not meant to denigrate his technical ability in any way, which is very good, too.

croadyman

Me neither. He's tall, strong, fast - basically a nightmare to go up against in defensive duels, whether on the ground or in the air. That is not meant to denigrate his technical ability in any way, which is very good, too.
Yeah didn't I see some stat yesterday that he had won even more aerial duels than Van Dijk which is mad

Infra-red

Yeah didn't I see some stat yesterday that he had won even more aerial duels than Van Dijk which is mad
He's won a higher % of the aerial duels he's attempted, yes:

Here's a selection, mix of prominent CBs and some we've been linked with. The ones in bold are left footed.

% Aerial Duels Won
Ibrahima Konaté79%
Dan-Axel Zagadou77%
Jordan Torunarigha76%
Virgil van Dijk75%
Harry Maguire74%
Chris Smalling70%
Ozan Kabak67%
Jonathan Tah66%
Dayot Upamecano66%
Alessandro Bastoni65%
Matthijs de Ligt65%
Benoit Badiashile64%
Gabriel Magalhaes62%
Alessio Romagnoli60%
Mohammed Salisu60%
Kalidou Koulibaly59%
Eric Bailly55%
Nathan Aké51%
(all statistics drawn from whoscored.com)

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Interesting and exciting. Couldn't infer anything from Ole's press meet yesterday. He completely denied that we are even in for a defender. I know it doesn't say anything but with Mengi and Axel coming up ,just dont see it this summer. Hope I am wrong though.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
It seems that most agree with the need for a proper center back to partner Bailly in the future. With Lindelöf still being young and not quite ready yet, Smalling/Jones just not good enough and Rojo too inconsistent, it wouldn’t be a big surprise if United spend a decent amount to bring in a new center back in the summer.

Who do we go for?

Some candidates:
David Luiz
Sokratis Papastathopoulos
Kamil Glik
Kostas Manolas
Kalidou Koulibaly
Samuel Umtiti
Ezequiel Garay
José Giménez
Mateo Musacchio
Ömer Toprak
Stefan De Vrij
Jonathan Tah
Eric Dier
Daniele Rugani
Matthijs De Ligt
Lucas Hernández
Alessio Romagnoli
Harry Maguire
Milan Škriniar

I don’t watch that much football outside the Premier League, but from what I know, my personal preference would be Manolas or Koulibaly (if top tier players like Boateng aren’t available)

@Damien or any other modmin, a poll with some of the main candidates would be greatly appreciated.
Just came across this and spat out my drink with the first two names.

tomaldinho1

In a summer window where it's clear spending will be limited - priority is RW and a DM in my opinion. We don't need another CF because Martial, Rashford and Greenwood all play there and who re we going to get who doesn't cost £100m plus? We also have a lot of CBs although some will leave this window, I think Ole will go for someone younger with a lot of potential with a view to phasing them in rather than someone like Koulibaly which will blow the budget. Dan Axel Zagadou at Dortmund for example - physical, tall, left footed CB who also has a turn of pace and decent enough on the ball. Think he got injured but looked promising when I watched Dortmund.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It is weird when you consider Upemcampo gets lots of hype but Konaté is easily the better of the two by some distance. Maybe people just know the name more as he was hyped first And have stuck to it.
I started watching RBL because of Upamecano but quickly realised a player I'd never heard of was the more impressive of the two. You just have to compare RBL with and without Konate to see the big difference IMO.

But he's getting the credit now, and many have now mentioned Konate being the more impressive of the two. Even Arsenal fan tv have said Konate is the better player...:D

Last edited:

Suv666

A year old article from a Bayern blog comparing Konate and Upamencano. Interesting read.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.c...konate-and-upamencano-and-how-they-would-help

Would be happy with either of them. If we spend 100 on Sancho I doubt we can afford to spend big bucks on CB, dont think either of them will cost less then 50m. Bit unrealistic.We'll probably buy some relatively unknown young CB for 20-30 max, that is if we do buy a CB at all, which after Ole's conference seems unlikely.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I don't think the plan is to get a suitable partner for Maguire that will replace Lindelof. I think Ole would give Tuanzebe another opportunity to stake that claim next season. Despite his injuries, he's been highly rated by Ole so I don't see why Ole would want to get someone to pair with Maguire when he thinks Tuanzebe has the potential.

We will probably put a hold on getting a Maguire partner for one more season to see if Tuanzebe can come through. If we are getting a CB this season I can see it being a cheap squad option to replace the outgoing ones - Rojo and Jones. A left footed one too since Rojo and Jones our only left footed CBs would be gone

LuckyScout78

A option is. Calling Smalling. Give Bailly, Jones and Tuanzebe play time to prove that they what it need to be regular winning teams.

United have CBs right that are good enough for top3/4.

Then maybe go for Juventus De Ligt about few years time. Then De Ligt turn 22-23 then. Perfect age.

United next CB shall be like Liverpool Van Dijk. A missing link. Not another second rate CB

Be patient. Patient is the key. United will be a dominate team in few years time. The United will be attractive to De Ligt to join.

De Ligt is not super fast in first metres too. But he is good to use his big and strong physical body. And De Ligt is good in the air.

De Ligt become 21 in August. Perfect age that suit United current age. De Ligt beside Maguire. De Ligt is super aggressive. A dominant CB.

Again. RW and CB has to be closest to best level. Like Sancho and De Ligt.

DarkXaero

How has Thiago Silva been this season? He'll be 36 this year, but he is available on a free transfer, and he has been a world class CB for a good amount of his career. If our budget will be spent on Sancho, possibly Grealish, and another signing, Thiago Silva on a free could be a decent option.

Red Stone

How has Thiago Silva been this season? He'll be 36 this year, but he is available on a free transfer, and he has been a world class CB for a good amount of his career. If our budget will be spent on Sancho, possibly Grealish, and another signing, Thiago Silva on a free could be a decent option.
I like the idea of Thiago Silva as a Blanc-esque stopgap if we haven't got funds to strengthen the first eleven. We need some experience from a serial trophy winner in what has become a very young and inexperienced squad.

Otherwise, going strictly off of the fact that he's an FM god since I haven't seen him play, can any Portuguese posters tell me if Ruben Diaz is actually good enough for us?

gajender

I like the idea of Thiago Silva as a Blanc-esque stopgap if we haven't got funds to strengthen the first eleven. We need some experience from a serial trophy winner in what has become a very young and inexperienced squad.

Otherwise, going strictly off of the fact that he's an FM god since I haven't seen him play, can any Portuguese posters tell me if Ruben Diaz is actually good enough for us?
I think Portuguese posters have already given their opinion on Ruben Dias he is not upto United Standard currently according to them Lindelof was better than him when he played in Portugal and they didn't rate him that high to begin with.
One thing I have noticed about Portuguese posters on here is they tend not to hype anybody from their league unless it's warranted ,their assessment of players from their league tend to be spot on.