Centre Back... Who do we go for?

Craig Ward

Its a hard one to call, as we suffer so many injuries and have to chop and change the defence so regularly.

Each defender we have has good and bad points, but the key is finding the right pairing. For example, Jones and Smalling together rarely looks good, but Smalling seems better with Rojo or Lindelof even. Same with Jones. Jones/Rojo has looked good.

Bailly is our main CB, no doubt. But he has missed so much of this season its hard to rely on him.

Lindelof was baught for big money and has yet to show the good form, I think talk of him being sold at this point is rash, given Jones and Smalling have been here for years and haven't improved and each have issue's.

Ideally we'd play Lindelof / Bailly every game, but it hasn't worked that way.

With all available options, I would sell Darmian, Blind and Smalling. I would sign Toby from spurs.

Jose rates Jones and Rojo, I cant see him letting them go as well as the above.

Toby/Bailly would be a good pairing with lindelof, Jones, Rojo and Tuanzebe as back up. Given our injuries, we probably need this amount of cover.

everytime I've seen Tuanzebe he has looked good, so perhaps we already have the answer without making a signing.

One thing is for certain, Jones and Smalling together should not be used unless we have no other options, they are awful together

Jacko21

Doesn’t matter which central defender we sign. He’ll hit his head on the way in and be plagued by injuries for the foreseeable.

We don’t do fit defenders.

sparx99

Lindelof is a strange one. He was playing quite well around Christmas and then he disappeared. Mourinho has a had a weird habit of leaving players out who had begun to show form. Shaw is another one who has something like 3 MOM's in 8 appearances and yet is back behind Young in the pecking order. Martial in recent weeks as well.

I'm hoping Lindelof might be a bit like Stones. Signed for big money and struggled in his first season before really upping his game the next year.

If we do sell 2 from Smalling, Jones & Rojo I'd like to get either Koulibaly or Alderweireld. We could start next season with Bailly, Lindelof, Alderweireld/Koulibaly, one of those 3 mentioned & Tuanzebe as our 4/5 options.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agreed. People who thought he was good in the EL final haven't seen anything yet.

Leads his defense like he's 28. Very stable.

Don't know how accurate the MD piece is, but the major clubs would be asleep if he's still an Ajax player next season. And i really hope they are.
A friend of mine from Braabant raves about De Ligt.

How would you rate his aerial game?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If this guy de Ligt is the real deal, we should go for him regardless of the age. I'd rather we go and buy a player like that with big potential, than go for average player.
If he's good in the air aswel to go along with his fantastic ability on the ball, then we should stump up the cash...

sparx99

How's De Vrij playing these days? I saw Lazio fans put up a petition on Change.org to keep him. Available on a free means funds to spend elsewhere?

Sanche7

@Ajaxsuarez Thank You for the superbly detailed reply. Hopefully he can continue developing and become a top top CB.Hopefully we are keeping an eye on him

Kostov

If he's good in the air aswel to go along with his fantastic ability on the ball, then we should stump up the cash...
He should be, he looked enormous back in May, and he is probably still growing. My point was, I'd rather we go for the long term benefits of a world class talent, rather than the immediate average CB that won't be a big upgrade of what we have at the moment.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He should be, he looked enormous back in May, and he is probably still growing. My point was, I'd rather we go for the long term benefits of a world class talent, rather than the immediate average CB that won't be a big upgrade of what we have at the moment.
Agreed...

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
A friend of mine from Braabant raves about De Ligt.

How would you rate his aerial game?
if you look at the video in my last comment of his match against Roda, you'll see the second half is just aerial duels. His big and strong, though not quite as big as say Van Dijk or Kompany, he's taller than the three Spurs centrebacks, for example, and it's almost all frame, with a small head on top. He had a poor marking moment against the big striker Cornelius in the EL last season, but that's the only real aerial mistake I can think of. I'd say his biggest strength is his one-on-one defending over the ground, but with his physique and intelligence aerially is no problem either. he does get involved in the air quite a lot, also on corners.

Kostov

I seriously don't know why we didn't sign this guy. Could have been for dirt cheap too. Wasn't he at some relegated team before Leicester?
Hull City, and he played against us in the Carling Cup semi's. To be fair, I didn't think he could transform that form to a bigger club back then.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
if you look at the video in my last comment of his match against Roda, you'll see the second half is just aerial duels. His big and strong, though not quite as big as say Van Dijk or Kompany, he's taller than the three Spurs centrebacks, for example, and it's almost all frame, with a small head on top. He had a poor marking moment against the big striker Cornelius in the EL last season, but that's the only real aerial mistake I can think of. I'd say his biggest strength is his one-on-one defending over the ground, but with his physique and intelligence aerially is no problem either. he does get involved in the air quite a lot, also on corners.
Cheers mate, sounds like a player who will be amongst the best in the world..

ozinjusz

If Alderweireld becomes available, we have to be all in for that. Proven, good age (28), probably a swap for C.Smalling is on the cards.

My other candidate has to be Milan Skriniar - young (1995), Slovak CB for Inter. He's a no non-sense defender, followed him since the U-21 EUROs where he was really good. He's already attracting a lot of attention so it's better to snap him now before the price increases.

The Mad Manc

Whilst I agree, there is no doubt apart from Bailey everybody else has failed to cement their position at central defence. We need a new central defender and whether that is TFM or Tunzabe it’s clear as day it’s not one of Jones Smalling Rojo or Blind. So if not we are left with lindelof TFM and Tunzabe so think we need to move some deadwood on Rojo and Blind perhaps and then buy a first choice centre back to partner Bailey then Smalling and Jones can be back up (great squad if so) with hopefully one of the three with potential stepping up. I would not mind Maguire from Leicester (said it when he was at Hull). I think he’s big, aggressive, mobile, good on ball and looks very hungry as a player to learn.
I think Lindelof has been slowly progressing and him and Bailly complement one another's skill set. I'd really like to see them have a decent run together. Rojo and Jones are good back-up. Smalling is the biggest liability and should be sold. Blind's time is probably up too.

As I say, I don't think we need to go blowing cash on a CB, but Maguire does look good. Absolute steal for Leicester at £12m.

Coxy

Every time this thread gets bumped I get twitchy about the American spelling of centre.

Cliche Guevara

I like Lindelof but suspect we might have jumped the gun in signing him, in relation to De Ligt.

I don’t know if we’re after another centre-back, but if we are I suspect the preference is for a current peak player like Alderweireld.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think Lindelof has been slowly progressing and him and Bailly complement one another's skill set. I'd really like to see them have a decent run together. Rojo and Jones are good back-up. Smalling is the biggest liability and should be sold. Blind's time is probably up too.

As I say, I don't think we need to go blowing cash on a CB, but Maguire does look good. Absolute steal for Leicester at £12m.
Think Bailley and Lindelof may struggle in the air in England to be honest. Would prefer them to be partnered with more a Vidic type.

The Mad Manc

Think Bailley and Lindelof may struggle in the air in England to be honest. Would prefer them to be partnered with more a Vidic type.
I think Bailly is Vidic-esque. He's not poor in the air and he's aggressive, physical, quick, strong in the tackle and a leader at the back.

Lawman

I think Bailly is Vidic-esque. He's not poor in the air and he's aggressive, physical, quick, strong in the tackle and a leader at the back.
Hope you are correct but I see him more of a King type central defender. No where near as good as Vidic in the air but good enough for himself but not dominant like a Terry or Vidic.

Swift Football

Vertonghen is 6 3' - definitely taller than De Ligt, and even Dier maybe. But, its not just height that makes a difference in air.
De Ligt looks good, but a move like United is just too soon for the lad. Its better if he gets some more experience there before moving.

Bailly is neither as tall as nor as strong as Vidic. Physical strikers can easily push him off the ball, but yeah he is aggressive, fast and good in tackles.

Silas

Bailly is neither as tall as nor as strong as Vidic. Physical strikers can easily push him off the ball, but yeah he is aggressive, fast and good in tackles.
Which strikers have easily pushed him off the ball?

Swift Football

Which strikers have easily pushed him off the ball?
Mounie for example, from the recent match I remember. He is aggressive, and has a great tackle in him, but strength to strength he falls short against the likes of Kane, Giroud, Murray, Deeney.

Silas

Mounie for example, from the recent match I remember. He is aggressive, and has a great tackle in him, but strength to strength he falls short against the likes of Kane, Giroud, Murray, Deeney.
Mounie that plays for Huddersfield? Didn't Eric only come on for about the last 5-10 minutes against them? His first match back after the injury, wasn't It?

Toad

I like Rojo, when he has a constant run of game he is pretty boss. I think Jones will stay as he can be a good partner for Bailly as we have all seen.

Smalling needs selling with someone to replace him, I honestly can’t see anything other than that happening. Left back is a more pressing issue this summer .

JohnnyLaw

Maguire please.
I'd love to see this. Big, dominant, capable with the ball and even more importantly I can't find a single injury on his record. I think he'd be a better buy than Alderweireld because I think he'd compliment Rojo, Bailly, Lindelöf and Jones better as they are all susceptible to a powerful CF. Send Smalling the other way.

United Pro

Its just Varane's agent out to get him a new deal. Madrid would be utter numpties if they let him go.
He just signed a new contract this season and it only runs out at 2022, so I doubt that. I still don't think we have any chance of getting him though.

tomaldinho1

I'd love to see this. Big, dominant, capable with the ball and even more importantly I can't find a single injury on his record. I think he'd be a better buy than Alderweireld because I think he'd compliment Rojo, Bailly, Lindelöf and Jones better as they are all susceptible to a powerful CF. Send Smalling the other way.
Seriously? You'd genuinely rather we signed Maguire than Alderweireld?

Maguire looks good in this Leicester team who are basically a solid mid-table club and a counter attacking team. Michael Keane looked great at Burnley before his move and his reputation has since plummeted. John Stones doesn't start at City anymore. Maybe he could make the step up but I don't think it's worth the risk, we've got a lot of 'good but not great' CBs already, no point just adding another one.

Cliche Guevara

Maguire please.
I first really noticed him when we played Hull last season and liked the look of him. I wonder how good he really is and if he can cut it at a big club, or whether he’s the type to just stand out at a mid-table side. He doesn’t look the most athletic boy.

I noticed again against Chelsea at the weekend he was bringing the ball out of defence and bursting forward on mazy runs. Something we definitely need.

I suppose if we’re making one signing for centre-half he really should be World Class. I’d be interested to see what Maguire could do for us domestically, as a rotation player, however. Would he perhaps compliment Bailly well.

PoTMS

Alderweireld (£50m) and De Vrij (free) - and show Smalling the door. We should get a good fee too as I'm sure he'll have plenty of suitors, Arsenal probably being one of the numerous midtable sides who would take him.

CA1

Maguire is a similar and in my opinion slightly inferior version of Phil Jones.

We need a calm head who can read the game well to go along with Bailly's aggressive, slightly erratic style. Alderweireld is the obvious choice if he's available.

I'd keep Jones and Smalling as back up they both have some qualities.

Lindelof isn't good enough- people say he needs to settle, I've seen enough personally. Not got any attributes to his game that stand out. I think he was meant to be that calm defender we need, Mourinho mentioned his playing out from the back when we signed him. He's not good at playing out from the back, he might have been in the Portuguese League but in our league he isn't. He can ping a pass when he's got time but under pressure he melts (hence why they really call him the iceman)

Lawman

I first really noticed him when we played Hull last season and liked the look of him. I wonder how good he really is and if he can cut it at a big club, or whether he’s the type to just stand out at a mid-table side. He doesn’t look the most athletic boy.

I noticed again against Chelsea at the weekend he was bringing the ball out of defence and bursting forward on mazy runs. Something we definitely need.

I suppose if we’re making one signing for centre-half he really should be World Class. I’d be interested to see what Maguire could do for us domestically, as a rotation player, however. Would he perhaps compliment Bailly well.
I rate him higher than Stones he’s excellent on the ball. Senses danger and is dominant and aggressive. Would sell Rojo Blind Shaw and Darmain and buy Maguire and Sandro to replace these guys. I’d also consider selling Lindelöf and usually I’d say to anyone (eh?) give the kid time but if I’m being honest I’ve not liked the look of this guy at all defensively from the off since joining.

Devil may care

Alderweireld makes the most sense although we have to take a good look at this injury lay-off. I get the feeling Mourinho would take Varane in any De Gea deal, and the other one that I reckon might happen is Skriniar from Inter.