Centre Back... Who do we go for?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Is Škriniar that good? I have not seen much of him, in fact all I've seen of him is that scoutnation video and he looked really clumsy, not really agile.
I don't know how good he's on the ball but in that video he looked a bit panicky on the ball.
His defending seemed mostly dependent on his physicality rather than reading of the game but again that's the impression I got from a 10 minute video and I could be wrong .
I think he's up there as one of the best one on one defenders playing right now, he's so clean at winning the ball from the opposition dribblers. Don't want to go over the top but I get Vidic vibes from watching him. Also drives forward with the ball as a CB, pretty good passer too.

I'm just of the opinion that if we're going to go for a CB it has to him or we shouldn't bother because the quality after Škriniar and possibly Varane is nowhere near worth investing in to replace what we've already got. Unless some how we figure a way to sign Vertonghen.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
I hear that there is this player called Tuzanbe, perhaps we should give him a go?!

MadMike

As far as priorities go getting a CB must be only above getting a new GK. But who knows.

United Pro

I can't see us signing any CB's given that it's the position we're probably most stacked in. Only way is if a top tier CB becomes available, but that's highly unlikely.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
As far as priorities go getting a CB must be only above getting a new GK. But who knows.
If De Gea leaves in the Summer it will highlight how awful our CBs actually are. We've been extremely fortunate to have such an immense keeper, he shows his class with his unbelievable statistics in comparison to the rest of the league.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
If De Gea leaves in the Summer it will highlight how awful our CBs actually are. We've been extremely fortunate to have such an immense keeper, he shows his class with his unbelievable statistics in comparison to the rest of the league.
Absolutely.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
It seems that most agree with the need for a proper center back to partner Bailly in the future. With Lindelöf still being young and not quite ready yet, Smalling/Jones just not good enough and Rojo too inconsistent, it wouldn’t be a big surprise if United spend a decent amount to bring in a new center back in the summer.

Who do we go for?

Some candidates:
David Luiz
Sokratis Papastathopoulos
Kamil Glik
Kostas Manolas
Kalidou Koulibaly
Samuel Umtiti
Ezequiel Garay
José Giménez
Mateo Musacchio
Ömer Toprak
Stefan De Vrij
Jonathan Tah
Eric Dier
Daniele Rugani
Matthijs De Ligt
Lucas Hernández
Alessio Romagnoli
Harry Maguire
Milan Škriniar

I don’t watch that much football outside the Premier League, but from what I know, my personal preference would be Manolas or Koulibaly (if top tier players like Boateng aren’t available)

@Damien or any other modmin, a poll with some of the main candidates would be greatly appreciated.
who agrees? we have 5 fecking centre backs who is all these people who agree?

dove

I can't see us signing any CB's given that it's the position we're probably most stacked in. Only way is if a top tier CB becomes available, but that's highly unlikely.
Stocked with Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Lindelof. None of them are good enough and the only one who looked good is always injured.

United Pro

Stocked with Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Lindelof. None of them are good enough and the only one who looked good is always injured.
I never said stacked in quality, I was referring to the number of CB's we have: Bailly, Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Lindelof, Blind and Tuanzebe. Purely from a numbers perspective, if anything, we have too many. Even if we were to sell say Blind and Rojo, we'd still have 5 CB's (6 if we include Fosu-Mensah). We are potentially lacking a world class CB, but like I mentioned in my first post, it's very unlikely that one will become available this summer. The likelihood is that if we were to move for a CB, it'd for a solid player, but not significantly better than what we currently have. In other words, a LVG type signing, where we end up spending a lot of money, without really improving the team. So, I'd much rather us spend in areas that we are more in need of improving, like a box to box midfielder or an out and out right winger. However, if a world class CB becomes available, I'd want us to move for him.

Hanky panky

True, I don't see why this thread is so active, we don't really need any new centrebacks.
How many world class CB:s we have? Or even near world class? We have Pogba, Martial, Lukaku and Sanchez in midfield and attack. So why should we be happy with tier-c defenders?

Web of Bissaka

Current options: Rojo, Bailly, Smalling, Jones, Lindelof, Blind + Tuanzebe.

7 options for 2 slot per game normally. Blind is just a cover, so basically 6 options per game.

4 of those are injury prone, yet good enough when on form (few bad games is normal). 3 of them can be inconsistent and prone to mistakes though except Rojo.

Mourinho's system means that as long as the two CBs follow instructions and not doing some silly mistakes, we're fine.

A new signing make sense only if we move one of the 4 or when all 4 freakishly out after Blind left.

Rather not though, still better to give Lindelof and Tuanzebe their chances.

Next transfer window, if there is a world-class or highly rated CB suddenly becomes available, we should go for it.
eg. Varane or Marquinhos, I trust Mourinho when it comes to signing central defenders.

J_Red 11

I doubt we will go for a centre back. We have enough for young age centre back. What we need is a leadership at the back, someone who can organise the back four, someone who can defend and also can be relied with his passing. I don't see us finding one, our current centre backs need to step up massively here.

Champagne Football

I could see Jose going in for Johnny Evans over the summer if the price was right. A good solid premier league defender who you can trust and who is not a sick-note. While possibly grooming Tuanzebe for the role eventually

He'lmurderyah15

Think trying to develop a pairing from now to May is important so we can have a settled defence in August. If we still haven't found a pairing by the end of next season id look to buy but probably too early this summer. We've 5 decent/good centre halves, think we're more than capable of getting a pairing there. Bailly Rojo for me

Theonas

Scout
How many world class CB:s we have? Or even near world class? We have Pogba, Martial, Lukaku and Sanchez in midfield and attack. So why should we be happy with tier-c defenders?
How do you exactly define world class and how many world class do you think there are in the league?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Not sure why we would need another centre back unless some are leaving. Personally, I think Jones and Bailley are among the best there are. Problem is keeping Jones healthy. But I see him as a future United legend. He's already the best in the EPL this year and he's only 25 (almost 26) years old. Still a lot of gas left in that tank, and at his age, he is still going to get better too...

Mcking

Škriniar and Bailly would be a monstrous partnership. If there's anyway we can make it happen with De Gea behind them. We'd be a freakish side.

Honestly don't mind who we offload as a CB as long as we make the above happen. If we can't sign Škriniar don't bother buying another CB.
Most here said the same when we signed Lindelof. We have some of the best at defending in the league, and should just stick with them. We should just stop signing 22 and 23 year old defenders with potential; they all end the same way.

JohnnyLaw

I think that people should be wary what they ask for, just look at how much the likes of Liverpool and City have spent and are still spending on the likes of Matip, VVD, Mangala, Stones, Otamendi, Laporte. We can talk about world class or not but I don't think that we have a worse CB department compared to any other team in the league.
The problem isn't defence but in the entire team. In fact I think that under the circumstances of the last few years, they've even perfomed quite amicably.
Ever since especially Van Gaals second year, basically since the implementation of the 4-2-3-1, our identity as a team has been pretty much non-existant. We were kind of a possession based team then to now being a kind of counter-attacking team, but then not really..
This lack of cohesion is affecting every part of the team, the defence is looking like an issue because our midfield is so easy to play through and our midfield is easy to play through because there doesn't seem to be a plan as to how and where we're supposed to win the ball back.
The team isn't pressing high as a unit but we're also not sitting back either which causes the team to become stretched, disconnected and easy to get at.
This isn't me having a go at the 4-2-3-1, the problem isn't just the formation, the defence, the midfield or attack. The problem for me is that when I watch us play I don't see any clear strategy as to how we're managed to attack or defend. This becomes even more evident and chaotic when we come up against the bigger teams, I don't think anyone can really predict how we'll approach these games anymore.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I think Koulibaly would be a great signing. Always impressed watching him.

Distracted Steward

We use Bailly and Jones.
What's up with all these people going into panic buying mode when we loose one game? Let's leave that to Pep.
This is what I lean toward. To be honest, I'm not that worried about the current options at center half. Jones and Bailley look the business. There are some concerns about fitness, but I'd like to see if Mourinho and crew can get that sorted. If they do, I think they'll be a fine first choice pairing. We've seen a lot from them already, but need to see them fit together more often.

If we were to move for a center half, I'd want it to be for a special player that could really elevate the team. I don't see the need to move for a player short of that.

No mention of Alderweireld ?
WHY has nobody mentioned Toby Alderweirald he would be absolutely ideal, leader, premier league proben and a world class CB. We need someone senior in the centre back role
Alderweirald would be that player for me. He's absolute class as a center half. He'd step right into the team and elevate an already solid defense. He'd be fine in a pairing with Jones or Bailley or three man back line--giving Mourinho options. He's EPL proven with a style well-suited for Europe too. I can't think of many center halves that could make the impact that he could.

A side bonus is that signing him for the wage he's worth would be a real blow to Levy's efforts to keep that underpaid Spurs squad together.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Most here said the same when we signed Lindelof. We have some of the best at defending in the league, and should just stick with them. We should just stop signing 22 and 23 year old defenders with potential; they all end the same way.
I can't speak for Lindelof, but I've actually watched Škriniar a lot.

Number1

We sign a centre back or 2 every year, do we really need to improve in that area?

United have the best defensive record in the Premier League.

United_We_Stand

"United have joined City in the chase for Leicester defender Maguire setting up a summer tug-of-war. Mourinho ruled out adding any attacking players to his squad when the transfer window reopens following Alexis Sanchez’s arrival but is aiming to improve his central defensive options and has been impressed by £50m-rated Maguire."

Reports Adrian Kajumba of the Mirror.

Okey

I
He’s actually excellent on the ball. I think he’s too good for Leicester.
I think Harry Maguire has the potential to be world class. Absolutely outstanding on the ball. Dribbled better than most Prem midfielders. I' love for the next guy to be left footed though. Gives even better balance to the team. Of course Laporte is gone now. I've coveted him for a while. I'm sure there's others out there though. That's why we have scouts eh?

Okey

It's a decision between quantity and quality. We have lots of centre backs by trade. But only one or two who are of the required standard. Frankly same goes for a few other positions. Quality is what will win you things. At least now that the freak genius of SAF is gone. 2 consistent solid centre backs who are good on the ball can change a team in an instant. If the other departments are stacked with quality as well. United are getting used to making do with 'Just about managing'. I say if proven quality is available, you get him. Move on the ones we all know aren't quite good enough. Centre back as well as other positions. Good can always be better. Have a team that actually matches up with the best in the world. That's where we belong. That's where we should be trying to get back to.

Bestietom

If De gea decides to go, then I think Varane will come here in part of the deal. De Vrij will be free this summer.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Said in the other thread United need a stopper in the mould of Vidic.

I honestly think someone like Gilk would fit the bill. He's played at a very good level in France and Italy now, experienced in the champions league and obviously not impossible to sign. Chips in with goals aswell.

Amazed premier league clubs seemed to have passed on him.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Koulibaly would be perfect. Very good defensively and on the ball. I'd have said Sokratis a couple of years ago but I don't think he's good enough anymore.
Yes Koulibaly is excellent on the ball. Arsenal were linked 18 months back.

Him and Bailly might be too similar in style though to work as a combination.

Just looking at the list on the front page....isn't Garay well into his 30s now? Name I haven't heard for ages but I remember him playing for Real Madrid 10 years ago so he must be getting on by now.

Canagel

Toby is the man. Stalling on a new contract as well. We should be all over him in the summer.

James Peril

Said in the other thread United need a stopper in the mould of Vidic.

I honestly think someone like Gilk would fit the bill. He's played at a very good level in France and Italy now, experienced in the champions league and obviously not impossible to sign. Chips in with goals aswell.

Amazed premier league clubs seemed to have passed on him.
I’d never swap Glik for Bailly, and Bailly is a lot like Vidic. Strong, brave, loves to tackle and take responsibility. If anything, we need a new Rio. Varane? Extremely quick

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Mental if Spurs let him go. Has he fallen out with Poch?

I actually rate him as best CB in the premier league.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I’d never swap Glik for Bailly, and Bailly is a lot like Vidic. Strong, brave, loves to tackle and take responsibility. If anything, we need a new Rio. Varane? Extremely quick
I meant Gilk to play alongside Bailly.