Centre Back... Who do we go for?

James Peril

Toby is the man. Stalling on a new contract as well. We should be all over him in the summer.
Ah man, why would you do that to yourself. You’ll have Glaston all over you like a rash, now you’ve set yourself up for a long story about Spurs’ magic history, their unique togetherness, Poch, Kane, new stadium with free wifi and NFL and the whole nine yards.

El Jefe

We should 100% be getting rid of Smalling and Blind. I would sell Rojo too but that may be excessive.

I doubt Alderweireld is a realistic option but if available should be our first option. Failing that I would say Harry Maguire, he really is ready for the step up.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We should 100% be getting rid of Smalling and Blind. I would sell Rojo too but that may be excessive.

I doubt Alderweireld is a realistic option but if available should be our first option. Failing that I would say Harry Maguire, he really is ready for the step up.
Looking at him against City yesterday, not too sure.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Alderweireld is the business; absolute best in the league and his style means age won’t see a quick decline. Spurs have signed Sanchez and Foyth (who also looks class) and Pochettino is on record saying he sees Dier eventually playing there permanently - pre-empting life without Toby?

Alderweireld would improve Jones, Bailly or Rojo too; he’s a calming influence, ideal to neutralise their chaos. He’d be the best United defender since peak Ferdinand and Vidic circa 2008.

Jericholyte2

Look at moving Blind, Smalling and probably Rojo on with Alderweireld coming in would give us Bailly, Jones, Alderweireld, Lindelof, Axel, TFM, I think that would be plenty enough.

Jonno

The phase out of sh!te in defence needs to begin. To be fair he's already started by bringing Bailly and Lindelof, I'm confident he will bring more, reducing the need to keep Jones, Smalling, Blind, Rojo and Young.

I very much doubt this is going to happen in the next window, it will probably take another 2 years to turn over our defensive squad with new players.

Acole9

Outstanding

Why is Alderweireld not a realistic option? I don't see why not. Whilst he's snubbing Spurs contract offers that publicised release clause remains and that is an absolute steal in the current market.

Maguire has looked good for Leicester but I'm not sure whether he's good enough to make that step up to play for a top side like ours. I think he's better than Smalling but I don't think he's better than Jones. I mentioned in another thread I don't think Jones long term is a solution for us in the starting 11 so signing Maguire would possibly be a waste of time and resources.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, how teams have defenders in their side which don't look suspect? There aren't many, the art of defending has changed a lot and for the worse it would seem. Top class, reliable defenders are in short supply.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Koulibaly from Napoli and Alderweireld and we are set. Can play in a 2 or 3 with Bailly. All comfortable on the ball.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Why is Alderweireld not a realistic option? I don't see why not. Whilst he's snubbing Spurs contract offers that publicised release clause remains and that is an absolute steal in the current market.

Maguire has looked good for Leicester but I'm not sure whether he's good enough to make that step up to play for a top side like ours. I think he's better than Smalling but I don't think he's better than Jones. I mentioned in another thread I don't think Jones long term is a solution for us in the starting 11 so signing Maguire would possibly be a waste of time and resources.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, how teams have defenders in their side which don't look suspect? There aren't many, the art of defending has changed a lot and for the worse it would seem. Top class, reliable defenders are in short supply.
The release clause does not become active until the summer of 2019 ... and only then if Spurs activate their option for a 1 year contract extension.

Alper Gün

Supports
SS Lazio
The main issue is, when you just look at the centre backs that we have, they simply lacking in "ball playing" issue, also some quality.

1) Chris Smalling - Not a bad defender but he is "only" a defender. he just cant play with the ball / pass the ball well, when he gets pressed, he just goes for the bad decisions %100.

2) Marcos Rojo - Not a centre back originated player to be honest. So his defending is not in "Manchester United" level. Also when you put him on centre back, he is very prone to make mistakes every game.

3) Phil Jones - Same type as Chris Smalling, cant really decide which one is better.

4) Lindelöf - Unfortunately, his technique is good but his defending skills are not good enough, a good defender for west ham / everton for example but not in "Manchester United" level. At least for now.

5) Eric Bailly - This guy is both good at defending and passing the ball and makes only max 1-2 mistakes in a game but i still dont see him as the top level defender as we are racing with top tier teams.... he can be the 3rd centre back of MAN UTD.

Who we need is,

1) A ball playing defender who is both good at defending and also has some good technique. As we can just use Bailly / Smalling (Jones) as a partner;

my candidates;

a) Alessio Romanogli
b) Stefan De Vrij
c) Daniele Rugani
d) Jonathan Tah

Sell: Rojo - Jones
Loan: Lindelöf as if we keep faith in his potential he needs to play every week...

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
a) Alessio Romanogli
b) Stefan De Vrij
c) Daniele Rugani
d) Jonathan Tah
Tah or De Vrij would be the best bets out of those four (not sure I'd want either, though). Romagnoli and Rugani are more talented than the other two, but both are very Italian (Vrij plays in Seria A, but has experience outside of it). How many defenders coming from Serie A have ever come into the the PL and hit the ground running? They're all young, too, which isn't really what we need (Bailly, Lindelof, Tuanzebe, TFM, all young CBs). If I were gambling on a defender from Serie A to make an instant impact (outside of the top tier established players, Bonucci, etc) I'd go for Skriniar. His passing is as good as any of the above but he has a harder edge to him.

Outside of that, I'd consider Sane from Hannover.

Bojan11

Toby has to be the priority.

But Maguire and De Vrij would be good options.

Sanche7

The trademark of every single Mourinho team has been how good they are defensively.But when I look at us defend, there is always this panic especially when Smalling and Rojo and the defenders.Bailly I feel is much calmer, Jones is OK but the other two struggle.
DDG has played a big role in us conceding the least goals in the league but any great team needs to be solid at the back which we are not.I think a ball playing CB is an absolute must buy.Shift Rojo, Blind for 30-35 million pounds, buy a top CB, like Alderweireld.We have more than enough quantity at CB but not enough quality

Kaushalmanutd

I think we need to ship out at least one of jones or smalling or both if possible which i doubt. They have been given ample games and time here under different managers but still are clumsy. They arrived here as teenagers/ youngsters and still haven't fulfilled their so called potential apparently. Also I'm pretty sure they wont flourish anywhere else and will end up at some mid to lower clubs eventually. Maybe then some posters who think they are good will realise how mediocre both of them are.

As for signing a centreback, for me there is only one defender which fits the bill regarding all the qualities of a centreback our defence needs i.e Toby Alderweireld. Commanding , experienced, right age, organiser, can play the ball, doesn't shit himself , pl proven so no time need to settle here, a real no non sense defender. The only problem is getting him away from levy but due to his contract situation there maybe a slight chance and if there is we shouldn't hesitate imo to get him. 35 - 40m should do because of his contract situation.

Ideally , move out jones, smalling, blind, darmian, bring in alderweireld and TFM, Axel for other spots for fb and cb

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Or he has just returned from a serious hamstring injury and wasn't risked in 2 of our biggest games on the season :lol:. He played against Newport and I would say we will see him against Rochdale.

If he doesn't sign a new contract he will be sold this summer, but that wont effect his game time too much.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Or he has just returned from a serious hamstring injury and wasn't risked in 2 of our biggest games on the season :lol:. He played against Newport and I would say we will see him against Rochdale.

If he doesn't sign a new contract he will be sold this summer, but that wont effect his game time too much.
I grant you that the premise is weak. Had it been "still not signed a new contract but can be sure to triple his wages elsewhere and win trophies" it would have been stronger. I just didn't know he was almost out of contract entering into his peak years as a defender. He might just be one of the main transfer stories in the summer. He's not really that ball playing defender that people are calling for, but if you've got a team with two skilled full backs, him and Bailly in the center would do more than nicely.

From what I can gather, he's earning 50K a week. Surely he's off.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I grant you that the premise is weak. Had it been "still not signed a new contract but can be sure to triple his wages elsewhere and win trophies" it would have been stronger. I just didn't know he was almost out of contract entering into his peak years as a defender. He might just be one of the main transfer stories in the summer. He's not really that ball playing defender that people are calling for, but if you've got a team with two skilled full backs, him and Bailly in the center would do more than nicely.

From what I can gather, he's earning 50K a week. Surely he's off.
The whole apparent issue with Toby is we have offered him a contract with the terms he wants but he also wants a release clause and Levy doesn't like release clauses. If he doesn't sign he will be sold in the summer I have no doubt about it, in or around £50M would be a fair price I would say. Of course I would also say Levy would prefer to sell abroad, but who knows we dealt with City very easily.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Tah or De Vrij would be the best bets out of those four (not sure I'd want either, though). Romagnoli and Rugani are more talented than the other two, but both are very Italian (Vrij plays in Seria A, but has experience outside of it). How many defenders coming from Serie A have ever come into the the PL and hit the ground running? They're all young, too, which isn't really what we need (Bailly, Lindelof, Tuanzebe, TFM, all young CBs). If I were gambling on a defender from Serie A to make an instant impact (outside of the top tier established players, Bonucci, etc) I'd go for Skriniar. His passing is as good as any of the above but he has a harder edge to him.

Outside of that, I'd consider Sane from Hannover.
De Vrij would be free transfer too.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The whole apparent issue with Toby is we have offered him a contract with the terms he wants but he also wants a release clause and Levy doesn't like release clauses. If he doesn't sign he will be sold in the summer I have no doubt about it, in or around £50M would be a fair price I would say. Of course I would also say Levy would prefer to sell abroad, but who knows we dealt with City very easily.
Yeah, I could see that. 50m would be a relatively low price for an outstanding center back, even if he's got only a year left. I for one hope we are working on it behind the scenes, but it's going to be a non-starter if we drop out of the top 4 :nervous:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah, I could see that. 50m would be a relatively low price for an outstanding center back, even if he's got only a year left. I for one hope we are working on it behind the scenes, but it's going to be a non-starter if we drop out of the top 4 :nervous:
I think you guys are good for a top 4 finish you would need to lose 3-4 games in the run in.

Sanche7

De Vrij would be free transfer too.
No more bargains, no more betting on youngish guys who could become good, who may or may not adapt to the PL.If we are signing a CB, he must be top class, proven, a leader and Toby fits the bill.

I wouldn't mind De Vrij as the second CB signing if we decide to sell 3 of our CBs, say Blind, Rojo and Smalling, but as our only CB signing? No

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No more bargains, no more betting on youngish guys who could become good, who may or may not adapt to the PL.If we are signing a CB, he must be top class, proven, a leader and Toby fits the bill.

I wouldn't mind De Vrij as the second CB signing if we decide to sell 3 of our CBs, say Blind, Rojo and Smalling, but as our only CB signing? No
It would be good signing, good CB who will come as a free transfer. Player who is very good on the ball too. I'm not saying we should sign him ahead of someone like Toby just that De Vrij will be good addition.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think you guys are good for a top 4 finish you would need to lose 3-4 games in the run in.
I think so too, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility. We are in a bit of a rut it has to be said, while yourselves and Liverpool are in form. What happens with Chelsea is anyone's guess.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think so too, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility. We are in a bit of a rut it has to be said, while yourselves and Liverpool are in form. What happens with Chelsea is anyone's guess.
Would wanting them to fall off the bottom of England be too much to ask :lol:.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Would wanting them to fall off the bottom of England be too much to ask :lol:.
Ha. I'd love to see them continue their crisis but I just can't see it continue. Our poor will only help motivate them. If they do end up finishing outside the top 4, it will be a fight for Kante for sure...

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Ha. I'd love to see them continue their crisis but I just can't see it continue. Our poor will only help motivate them. If they do end up finishing outside the top 4, it will be a fight for Kante for sure...
I think they will win easily tonight, but I hope for once we can beat them this season.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Said in the other thread United need a stopper in the mould of Vidic.

I honestly think someone like Gilk would fit the bill. He's played at a very good level in France and Italy now, experienced in the champions league and obviously not impossible to sign. Chips in with goals aswell.

Amazed premier league clubs seemed to have passed on him.
I've liked Glik for a long time but I think we need better.
Yes Koulibaly is excellent on the ball. Arsenal were linked 18 months back.

Him and Bailly might be too similar in style though to work as a combination.

Just looking at the list on the front page....isn't Garay well into his 30s now? Name I haven't heard for ages but I remember him playing for Real Madrid 10 years ago so he must be getting on by now.
Yeah, I think he's one of the best ball playing CBs right now. I think a top CB should be a priority and one who's very calm on the ball as, apart from Blind who doesn't even play as a CB under José, we don't have one CB who doesn't panic when on the ball. Bailly's shown the potential to be able to develop that calmness but isn't that consistent, and Rojo can be competent on the ball, though he is prone to hoofing it and shooting from absurd angles.

tombob

Maguire for me. He reminds me a bit of Steve Roger Bruce.

SambaBoy

Kouliably would be the best option. Physically an absolute monster but under Sarri, he has been excellent at bringing the ball out the back and contributing from there. Not sure how much he would cost to prise from Napoli and whether we would be in for him (no rumours) but he is the one I would go for given the option.

Obviously Alderweireld would be an excellent option as well, but he seems to struggle with niggly injuries quite a lot and that's the last thing you need as a defender. Saying that, his quality is undoubted and with his contract situation it's a no brainer.

Then you have a mix of CB's that have the potential to be top class or could be the same level as Jones/Smalling.

Cliche Guevara

I think the hope is Bailly, Lindelof and Jones seriously fight it out for the first two places. I don’t think we’ll sign anyone.

Lindelof needs a chance and I think he’ll get it/take it.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Personallly I’d be getting shut of the lot of them with the exception of Bailly and Rojo and if these two are injured for lengthy periods next season I’d get shut of them too.

We can’t have injury prone centre backs, we need a regular back 4.

We should then buy a minimum of 2 quality centre backs with unblemished injury records.

settembrini

I still don't think we will sign a CB. We just have so many of them atm.

However if we could sign anyone I would like it to be Umtiti. He would complement Bailly as he plays as the LCB while many of the other possible targets like Alderweireld only play as the RCB.

Tanel

Play Lindelof and Bailly together with Luke Shaw at left back and we are sorted for years.. enough backup's also.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Anyone who follow my posts know that I never rated Smalling and Jones. Yet, I don't think its a good idea replacing them at this point in time. Love them or hate them there's a reason why we always end up with them as first teamers. Jones is not half bad and most of our defenders has either not settled down completely, are injury prone or are not good enough.

The bulk of our problem lie in CM were Matic alone can't be expected to do all the dirty work. Pogba is not a deep lying playmaker and he's no number 10 which means, we have to play in a 3 men midfield. Therefore money should be spent in getting a DM (cover/competitor for Matic) and a regista similar to Jorginho. That will strengthen the team's spine making the team more solid at the back and more efficient upfront as players will be able to focus more on what they are paid off to do.

Meanwhile we should

a- add some full backs (cover/competition for Valencia and Shaw)
b- send Tuanzebe on loan
c- give Lindelof more first team chances

The year after we can analyse what they do, within a stable side and act accordingly.