Centre Back... Who do we go for?

Aloysius's Back 3

He maybe could replace Rojo whilst giving cover for Shaw but I think people have this idea he is the same as Robertson when he is not. He’s not some great attacking threat, he I would say is a better crosser than Shaw but it’s not so other worldly that it over powers what Shaw is better than him at. He’s already been played as a LCB for Scotland and Celtic at times. Think he has even done a stint at RB for Scotland.
Ah okay.

It's just after seeing Dalot at LB im uneasy with just shaw aswell as a CB like Rojo who shows no grit. I think Tierney can be a good relatively cheap back up plan for those two positions.

SNes

What about Hummels he might be available as Bayern rebuild?

passing-wind

Skriniar would be my ideal choice, Koulabily too expensive for his age. Don't believe the Varane rumours and Umtiti is an accident waiting to happen despite being the best centre half we have been linked with.

Andersons Dietician

Don't believe the Varane rumours and Umtiti is an accident waiting to happen despite being the best centre half we have been linked with.
I was reading about his injury the other day which is bone fragments floating about his knee which also happens to be the same injury that forced Puyol to retire when he did. It does make you think there must be a concern over his knee if Barca are willing to even sell him as on his day he is one of the best around, but makes me think he is one that is probably best avoided unless he is going for absolute buttons and is just to keep the medical staff busy and play football a couple of times a year if we punt Phil Jones or Rojo.

We really should be pushing the basket out for DeLigt, we offered Sanchez a kings ransom to get him and outpriced City twice for both he and Fred. Let’s see how deep Barca’s pockets are and see if we can tempt DeLigt.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I was reading about his injury the other day which is bone fragments floating about his knee which also happens to be the same injury that forced Puyol to retire when he did. It does make you think there must be a concern over his knee if Barca are willing to even sell him as on his day he is one of the best around, but makes me think he is one that is probably best avoided unless he is going for absolute buttons and is just to keep the medical staff busy and play football a couple of times a year if we punt Phil Jones or Rojo.

We really should be pushing the basket out for DeLigt, we offered Sanchez a kings ransom to get him and outpriced City twice for both he and Fred. Let’s see how deep Barca’s pockets are and see if we can tempt DeLigt.
I don't think it really matters what we offer, it's down to De Ligt and he seems hell bent on joining Barca. It's another one of those 'It's my dream,' scenarios.

It would be crazy and desperate if we went down that road, and saying we didn't get him then other clubs will note our desperation and jack the price up for players who aren't even half as good

Andersons Dietician

I don't think it really matters what we offer, it's down to De Ligt and he seems hell bent on joining Barca. It's another one of those 'It's my dream,' scenarios.

It would be crazy and desperate if we went down that road, and saying we didn't get him then other clubs will note our desperation and jack the price up for players who aren't even half as good
I do agree that Barca would be I think more of a pull for him given the connection and history between the two clubs but I don’t think it would make us look desperate if we didn’t get him. We would have just gone hard for the greatest defensive talent on the planet. Doesn’t mean we’d offer the same or go as hard for a Koulibaly.

I think if we were offering a 100 mil for Koulibaly however that would make us look desperate and if we didn’t get him then everyone else would then start saying well you were willing to pay such and such let’s slap an extra 10 mil on Harry.

It just sucks that we’ve waited this long and people like Militao and Hernandez have been sold already and now our CB window looks even smaller. We are essentially down to 6 and two are pipe dreams( Varane, DeLigt), 1 constantly injured (Umtiti) 1 not good enough(Maguire),so it leaves Skriniar and Koulibaly unless we want to start looking at your Upemacano, Tah, Sane and the likes.

Champagne Football

A Lukaku - Skriniar swap deal would be nice.

Ole might feel bringing in a kid though who has world class potential might be the best way to go whether that's William Saliba or Joachim Andersen or whoever

Ole might feel bringing in a kid though who has world class potential might be the best way to go whether that's William Saliba or Joachim Andersen or whoever
I watched Skriniar in person for the first time the other day and I'm less convinced now. On TV he looks great but watching him live he looked very timid and the other defenders had to bail him out a few times. Maybe it was just an off game.

Champagne Football

I watched Skriniar in person for the first time the other day and I'm less convinced now. On TV he looks great but watching him live he looked very timid and the other defenders had to bail him out a few times. Maybe it was just an off game.
I'd prefer Koulibaly but I don't think the board will sanction £120 million for a 28 year old.

Maybe offering £60 million for a young player who is proven in the Premier league such as Issa Diop from West Ham, would appeal far more to the board.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Let’s be real. We won’t sign All the big names & big prospect names like Varane, De Ligt & the mega price Koulibaly. The realistic ball playing centre back that can still give us some improvement is Maguire. I think he’s a quality centre back and play him next to a quick centre back like Smalling or Bailly will at least cover his weakness for being a slow player, now that the World Cup hype has gone hopefully his price can goes down to £50m.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Just splash that cash on two CB and sell Rojo, Bailly and one of Jones/Smalling.

I’d be happy to buy Alderweireld and Maguire this summer.

I cried yesterday when I saw Laporte playing that easily against us, in comparison of having Smalling on the opposite.

Keano was right about defense yesterday. Guardiola came and bought 4/5 defenders in a year or two, same for Klopp.

We are all crying for wingers, strikers, midfielders, but we can’t do anything with such a defense.

Woodward has to shut his f****** mouth and splash the cash him and the Glazers didn’t spent last year.

I am not a big fan of Maguire, but surely is a better solution than Bailly, Jones, Smalling and maybe an easier target than Koulibaly.

Alderweireld for 30M and Maguire for 70M, even if we have to send one of Dumb and Dumbers at Leicester.

Suvvernmanc

I watched Skriniar at Wembley v spurs this year in the CL and he had a very solid game. When spurs attacked with numbers, Skriniars positioning was very good and didn't let alot past him and force spurs into shooting from outside the box alot.

On the ball he looked very calm and received the ball with confidence and distributed it out with good technique.

I've seen him 2 or 3 other times on TV and thought he was a stready 7/10. My worry is that he plays in the Italian league which from a defensive point of view is great but can he cope in a quicker league. We already have Smalling and Lindelof who In my opinion are good defenders. I'd rather have a better ball player like Anderson, Toby or obviously de ligt.

abailey123

I'd certainly recall Tuanzebe, he's at the right age (21-22) to be making a break through and Villa fans seem to love him. He certainly will have had a good grounding playing in a very difficult championship.

I'd probably look at signing Manolas also from Roma, relatively low release clause (£31m), good age.

If we could tempt Leicester with a bid for Maguire, but I think it would cost us north of £70m to sign him, having just signed a new contract in the summer.

I'm a bit put off Alderweireld with his age, I think he'd be a Schwenisteiger type signing.

Sell Rojo and Bailly.

Lee565

If we as a club are looking to aspire to the likes of Man City and Barcelona by being able to control games once again then what about Wan Bissaka as a central defender on the right side of a back 3, I think this guy has the attributes to become a great modern day central defender, good defensively, he's maybe not good enough on the ball for a right back in an attacking team but for a central defender he would most definitely be better than the likes of Smalling, Jones and Bailly on the ball, he's no push over physically and he's got pace to burn.

Plus ideally also Alderweireld or McGuire depending on whether alderweireld would join us, especially if we miss out on ucl football.

Ekeke

Fabian Schar and Jan Bednarek are my picks from the PL. Bednarek as a more longterm solution though with Schar at 27 but maybe Schar would have more of an instant impact

Schar is a very combative defender who wins the ball a lot but has also joined play and scored some great goals and set up some others this season getting forward too. He looks to make something happen going forward with his dribbling and a pass, which is the cherry on top for me but most importantly he doesn't shirk defensive responsibilities. So he's balanced on both sides. He has 3 league goals which is something none of our CBs have offered this season. Even Smalling who has consistently been our best goalscorer from CB cant match him this season.

Bednarek is 23 so hes more of a longer term option. He makes a lot of interceptions, almost as many as Schar. He can also find a pass to get his team on the front foot

Two players who dont have a lot of hype, but have got on with business very well this season

Both players give the ball away more than Smalling and Lindelof, but thats what you have to expect when CBs are trying to play more adventurous passes forward. And both of them have more key passes than Lindelof.

Roboc7

I'd certainly recall Tuanzebe, he's at the right age (21-22) to be making a break through and Villa fans seem to love him. He certainly will have had a good grounding playing in a very difficult championship.

I'd probably look at signing Manolas also from Roma, relatively low release clause (£31m), good age.

If we could tempt Leicester with a bid for Maguire, but I think it would cost us north of £70m to sign him, having just signed a new contract in the summer.

I'm a bit put off Alderweireld with his age, I think he'd be a Schwenisteiger type signing.

Sell Rojo and Bailly.
Manolas would be a good signing for that price which is why he’s all set to go to Juve. Would definitely bring back Tuanzebe especially if we are in the Europa.

Koulibaly and De Ligt are pipe dreams and too expensive given how much money we need to spend elsewhere, Maguire could be too pricey as well but I think he might be our target.I can see Alderweireld going to Liverpool so I expect we will get someone with a lower profile or possibly even no one. Think we have to be prepared that or everything can or will be done in one window and some of the same old players will still be playing next season.

BiggusCrickus

We need a leader someone like Van Djik who has kicked Liverpool on. De Ligt would be great but think he will follow De Jong to Barcelona. Koulibaly for me is the right choice can play the left side of the defence pushing Lindlof across to his natural right side . Koulibaly can then lead the back 4 and i think it would put us back on the right path

Aloysius's Back 3

I'd only buy maguire for a direct replacement of Jones & Bailly or Smalling.

Sell 2 RCB for a ball playing RCB. Get Tuenzebe back. Our RCB will look like maguire, Lindelof, Smalling & Tuenzebe.

Get a left footed LCB & sell Rojo - hopefully de ligt but seems unimaginable so Ake.

Our LCB options will be Deligt/Ake, Maguire or Lindelof.

If rice comes he can cover some places too.

SambaBoy

There's plenty of options out there but all seem to have some question marks against them. No-one doubts Koulibaly's quality but he's 28 and costing close to £100m may not seem a good move. Skrinar has question marks coming from the Italian league, which should also apply to Koulibaly.

Alderweireld is proven in the Prem, but his form has dropped in the last year or so as he has struggled with injuries, and he's getting close to 30. Will demand a long contract and big wages most likely but for £25m, it's a move we should make IMO.

Maguire is another option, but I'm not sure how he will deal with the step up to a big club like United and then there's the price tag as well.

I can't see us getting Varane, Umtiti or De Ligt. Any of these would be quality signings but why would they come to United at this point?

Rocknrolla69er

Great article on sky sports today on who could have a Van Dijk effect on us, some good stats included
A few unobtainables on there id say such as De ligt and Varane, but some very interesting cases Jonathan Tah has very similar stats to Van Dijk and also Benoit Badiashile from Monaco posting some very impressive stats, bith of these players are very physical , one plays left sided centre back one plays right sided centre back

Anybody know how much Tah and Badiashile are valued at or would probably cost

Chillosophy

Great article on sky sports today on who could have a Van Dijk effect on us, some good stats included
A few unobtainables on there id say such as De ligt and Varane, but some very interesting cases Jonathan Tah has very similar stats to Van Dijk and also Benoit Badiashile from Monaco posting some very impressive stats, bith of these players are very physical , one plays left sided centre back one plays right sided centre back

Anybody know how much Tah and Badiashile are valued at or would probably cost
Have no idea about Badiashile, never seen him play. Tah would probably cost around 40m which means we would probably end up paying 45-50.

Red_toad

Issa Diop is looking a very good prospect. I'd imagine he'd be 40 million plus, but lad is rapid, good in the air and pretty decent with the ball at his feet. I'd say he could come under consideration if other targets aren't available.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
De Ligt looks the real deal for me (no pun intended), I would push the boat out for him, but none of the others fill me with great confidence. Tuanzebe could be a great player in time, would certainly want him to be involved in pre season tour. I think we'll only be getting rid of Rojo as centre backs go, Lindelof, Jones, Smalling and Baillie will all stay I believe, unless a ridiculous bid comes in for any of them. That would still leave us with 6 CB's.

Fer

De Ligt and Alderweireld.

One is the best CB we can get and the other the best option considering the price. They would replace Rojo, Jones and Bailly.

The other option could be Rice (instead of Alderweireld), he could play as Defensive midfielder and CB of needed.

I would like Koulibaly but he is too expensive considering his age.

Is there any other CB we can get better than Alderweireld for 25m?

croadyman

How do we beat barca and juventus to the signing of De ligt?
Get Ole to contact him personally at the end of the season and outline he wants him to be the leader at the centre of defence.

Failing that contact Edwin and get him to really sell the Manchester United thing to him,not saying either will work but gotta be worth a try

Mainoldo

Get Ole to contact him personally at the end of the season and outline he wants him to be the leader at the centre of defence.

Failing that contact Edwin and get him to really sell the Manchester United thing to him,not saying either will work but gotta be worth a try
Tell him he’s club captain and tell him our 4 year plan. If we fail he’s 23 and still can go anywhere he wants in the world.

Since96

Toby Aldewiereld seems like no-nonsense defender. Likely that he will sign and partner Lindelof or Bailly but what of the other guys like Smalling, Jones, Rojo? Will they like to play second or third fiddle?

Mark Pawelek

It stat time again.
I'm not keen on Koulibaly because I think United need a rebuild, de Ligt is the one. Here's a comparison stat chart of FIFA Index. It's ordered on my derived stat called "Avg Defend", which is just the average of Marking, Slide tackle, Standing tackle, Strength, Jumping, Aggression, Reactions, Interceptions, Composure, Heading.
There are four basic kinds of players in the table. a) Top centre backs, b) United centre backs & tall players (background peach), c) prospects (background light green), and players United have been linked to.
Notice a few things.
1. WhoScored ratings aren't much use, but most top centre backs have ratings over 7. Doesn't tell us much.
2. Some defenders are very limited in most areas of their play. Especially Koulibaly!
3. Alderweireld has a highly rated defensive partner. Take him out of that partnership and he may no do so well.
4. de Ligt has 2 more years left on his Ajax contract. At 19, he's already better than any defender United have. 2 years of improvement and he could be the best in the world.
5. According to my "Avg Defend", Blind and Matic would probably make as good a centre back as Jones!
6. Some other players, apart from centre backs, got included. I could not be bothered to remove them.
7. Apart from top players, there are lots of other centre backs better than United's. Had I included all of them the list would be much longer. I tried to only include younger ones.