Centre Back... Who do we go for?

Mylock

The Ideal signing would be both Koulibaly and de legt. This isn't going to happen as de legt is going to go Barsa. Koulibaly would be the ideal signing as he is world class and he plays on the left side of the defence. All are centre halves and right side. I would also bring back Tuanzebe as he's far superior that all our current centre halves.

Last edited:

Wallez

I think Mario Hermoso from Espanyol is a very interesting option. 23 years old, came through the Real Madrid academy and has been very good this season, and has made his debut for the Spain national team. Similar to Ramos in his playing style, very good with the ball and a rare left-footed CB. Like most ball-playing CBs he is confident in his short passing, but unlike the majority he has shown some superb long-balls where he has played wingers and strikers through on goal with 50 yard passes. He is not very big for a CB (1.84 m), but has the pace and physique that is more typical for a full-back. If he can make the step into Prem level, I think he would be a perfect partner to Lindelöf. He has one year left of his Espanyol contract, and is likely to be relatively cheap.

Gordon S

I think Mario Hermoso from Espanyol is a very interesting option. 23 years old, came through the Real Madrid academy and has been very good this season, and has made his debut for the Spain national team. Similar to Ramos in his playing style, very good with the ball and a rare left-footed CB. Like most ball-playing CBs he is confident in his short passing, but unlike the majority he has shown some superb long-balls where he has played wingers and strikers through on goal with 50 yard passes. He is not very big for a CB (1.84 m), but has the pace and physique that is more typical for a full-back. If he can make the step into Prem level, I think he would be a perfect partner to Lindelöf. He has one year left of his Espanyol contract, and is likely to be relatively cheap.
Yes, could be a decent under the radar signing. A bit like Lindelöf was.
I think Fabian Schär could be another.

LuckyScout78

My last conclusion is De Ligt. United need a future leader and captain. In De Ligt United will have him. De Ligt move in to the "must get" category for me = the real deal.

And same as De Jong. Before i January transfer window. I recommendate to do a Barca deal with De Jong. Buy those player in January and let them play out the season with Ajax like De Jong. Like Pulisic for Dortmund. Ajax agreed to sell him. So they might agree to sell De Ligt if the price was good enough too, back in January.

Now, i think its all up to him where he want to play.

Red Devil Rising

Alderweireld is a relatively easy one to pull off considering the quality he would bring. 12 months left of his contract, only just turned 30, a leader at the back and comfortable with the ball.

De Ligt would be crazy money but Van Dijk now looks a snip at £75 million. Not sure if he would have a similar sort of impact though.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I would like us to go for De Ligt, but I feel it would be an impossible transfer to pull off.

Koulibaly would be excellent, and I think he’s attainable.

If toby will cost around 30 mill, we should be going for both.

Fosu-Mens

While de Ligt should be the first man on the list, the chance of this happening is far from being close to slim.

Alderweired or Ake are the only good alternatives (ability and price) in the EPL.
If we accept that we need a complete rebuild then we should get Godfrey from Norwich and loan him back to them next season (same with A-Arons).

If we decide to go outside the Prem, then there are a number of decent young options for a fair price and Koulibaly.

What about Tah from Bayer Leverkusen? I remember watching him a few seasons ago he was very good. He's good in the air and comfortable on the ball.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Regarding Alderweireld, it's madness that a player with one year left on his contract can fetch 20M plus (not counting the creme de la creme of the footballing world obviously).

Jibbs

I have a feeling De Ligt is going to Man city! Otamendi is leaving and Kompany is getting old. City will tap De Ligt to partner with Laporte.
Whereas we will have to settle for Alderweireld as all our first choice options are either too expensive or unwilling to come like Koulibaly, Varane, Skriniar and De Ligt. Of all the defenders who have been linked to us, I think Maguire is the one who will be most willing to come.

Last edited:

FredisRed

West Ham's Diop looked very good against Spurs but to be fair it was really the first opportunity to watch him.....

Eric's Seagull

West Ham's Diop looked very good against Spurs but to be fair it was really the first opportunity to watch him.....
Only started watching him recently and seems like a beast. Think we might have to get in early as
I've read PSG are interested. Agree he played well against Spurs. I particularly liked his tackles on Kane around 0:40 and 1:25. Havent seen enough yet but looks promising.

UpWithRivers

if we by some miracle sign De Ligt who will he partner - Lindelof? 19 year old and 24 year old both learning thier trade and the Prem and getting used to new country. Or do we forget Lindelof and keep using smalling/jones et al

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
has to be de light... but it won't be. I simply don't rate Maguire as highly as some managers seem to...

BlueHaze

I wonder how much Milenkovic from Fiorentina would go for.

There's a lot of potential in that lad.

croadyman

I can understand people have reservations about Maguire and his status definitely got inflated after his performances in the world cup last summer, however maybe he will relish making the step up and really grow in stature like Van Dijk has at Liverpool.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We either go big and sign Koulibaly who will give Ole tactical flexibility as well as experience. Or we go for someone that looks to be ready to step up like Nikola Milenkovic or Ibrahima Konate. All three options could comfortably play a high line or a deep line. All 3 also possess good recovery pace which would be helpful in a high line next to Lindelof who isn't the quickest.

Pairing either Skriniar or Aldeweireld next to Lindelof would make us susceptible to pace in a high line due their lack of pace.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Only started watching him recently and seems like a beast. Think we might have to get in early as
I've read PSG are interested. Agree he played well against Spurs. I particularly liked his tackles on Kane around 0:40 and 1:25. Havent seen enough yet but looks promising.
That's an impressive clip. He seems comfortable with the ball also. Get him and his teammate Rice also.

NJM78

I honestly do not believe we will sign a CB if we cannot get Koulibaly or De light, think Ole will stick with the current crop. Jones and Smalling had new deals not to sell them because frankly who would be mad enough to buy them that could afford their wages? Nope they are here to stay and Ole clearly likes them.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I honestly do not believe we will sign a CB if we cannot get Koulibaly or De light, think Ole will stick with the current crop. Jones and Smalling had new deals not to sell them because frankly who would be mad enough to buy them that could afford their wages? Nope they are here to stay and Ole clearly likes them.
Not sure about that

Eric's Seagull

In a perfect world in my opinion we wouldn't have renewed Jones' or Smalling's contract and they would both be getting shipped out. Maybe we should have tried selling them for less fees to cover the difference they get in wages compared to what the potential buying team is willing to pay them.

AngryCroat

if we by some miracle sign De Ligt who will he partner - Lindelof? 19 year old and 24 year old both learning thier trade and the Prem and getting used to new country. Or do we forget Lindelof and keep using smalling/jones et al
De Ligt-Lindelof would be dream CB's for our current situation. We haven't had better since Rio-Vidic. And why not try to put together young team. I was also very much for Shaw to be our first choice for future but I would now prefer if we can get Tierney. If we can get rid of De Gea, Pogba and Sanchez and start with young back line it would be start of something new and not upgrading this disappointment of club managing.
For me we should start building squad like this -

Tierney/Shaw-De Ligt-Lindelof-Dalot
----------------Romero/Navas-----------------

You wont find better answer.

Off topic - IMO we should also sell Lukaku and Martial and get Vardy and Jovic

Fosu-Mens

Most sensible buy would be Nathan Ake. Suited to the modern game, where one has to be able to play ball, defend 1v1 against agile attackers. Got experience and ability, while still being young. Suprisingly good in aerial duels as well.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
One down it appears.

14:36
Inter star signs new deal
Milan Skiriniar has signed a new contract with Inter Milan until 2023, amid reported interest from Manchester United.

The solid centre-back has impressed in Serie A in the past season but has committed himself long-term to the Nerazzurri and United will have to look elsewhere to bolster their central defensive region, it appears.

Infra-red

One down it appears.

14:36
Inter star signs new deal
Milan Skiriniar has signed a new contract with Inter Milan until 2023, amid reported interest from Manchester United.

The solid centre-back has impressed in Serie A in the past season but has committed himself long-term to the Nerazzurri and United will have to look elsewhere to bolster their central defensive region, it appears.
We need someone much better in the air than him to partner Lindelof.

Wallez

Umtiti surely.
Umtiti is a very interesting option, as he is a left footed CB at the perfect age, fairly experienced and very good with the ball. He was extremely good last season and carried the Barca defence through a poor Pique season. Rumors say that he is available for a reasonable fee as well, as Barcelona need money to bring in De Ligt. My only concern about him is his knee problems that has stopped him from contributing this season. Barcelona wanted him to fix his knee problem through surgery, but he chose to go through a lengthy process of fixing it by training the surrounding muscles. If we can bring him in for less than 50 mill and he stays injury-free, we will have made the bargain of the century. However, do we risk him getting injured in the first game of the season and being stuck with Smalling or Jones in our starting 11 for months?

This might be controversial, but I think Umtiti-Lindelöf will be the best CB duo in the league if Umtiti gets back to his top level and Lindelöf continues his steady development.

Fer

Umtiti could be a good option, he is a good ball-playing CB.

As far as I remember he is a bit small considering he's a defender.

Fosu-Mens

What do we actually want, a ball playing defender or a colossus of a defender to leave Lindelof to be the ball player?
You want someone that can do both... Do not to be a tower or a fridge to be effective in aerial duels.
Additionally if we are going to be playing a highpressing game, you will need someone that can stand his own ground in a 1v1 against agile attackers.

Ake ticks all boxes.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I personally prefer Maguire as he’s realistic signing, a ball playing, very composed on the ball & not afraid to bring the ball forward (something that we don’t have right now, I have yet seen it in Lindelof). Much much cheaper than Koulibaly. Quality is quality, but you don’t want to get ripped off by spending £130m on a centre back who’s going to be 28 while Maguire is 26 yo cost £60m.

If we stop playing Matic, sell him & have a destroyer as our DM, I won’t be too worry with Maguire lack of pace.

Fer

I would love someone like De Ligt or Koulibaly, but we have been related with Godfrey and Nathan Collins. So, I have no idea who Ole has in mind.

reddevilz007

I would love someone like De Ligt or Koulibaly, but we have been related with Godfrey and Nathan Collins. So, I have no idea who Ole has in mind.

Rio recommended Godfrey. I can see the resemblance there, he has the same facial expression as Rio. :)