Centre Back... Who do we go for?

Fer

Why is Koulibaly unrealistic when it seems we are going to pay the same amount of money for Maguire?

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
What the point all the good cb have gone. plus our spending for this season is over. We not going to buy anyone else unless we sell someone.
It’s settled then. We can pretty much lock the transfer forum as we are not signing anyone else.

We are 100% going to sign someone. Would not be surprised if we sign 2-3 players. Too much smoke around Maguire, Longstaff and Bruno. Stay optimistic!

Redcy

We're being linked to Badiashile from Monaco again by L'Equipe in France. He's only 18 and would be one for the future. My preference would be to go with Badiashile & Ibrahima Konate instead of blowing £75m on Maguire.

Konate is still only 20 but from what i've seen and read, he would be perfect as the imposing CB we're looking for. Don't know too much about Badiashile but I know we've tracked him for a number of years now and the club must rate him very highly if we're giving the North London clubs a free run at Saliba from St Ettiene to target the Monaco teen. Who they value at €35m according to L'Equipe.
Konate in this market is going to cost you 60-75m based on other prices.

Redcy

YEah given players like militao are going for 63m, then add on the United tax

Andersons Dietician

Koulibaly
Konaté
Dias
Upamecano
Milenkovic
Maguire
Tah
Diop

Who else is out there that could be decent. Keep in to account that midfield is a shambles and needs 2 bodies in it so we can only really have 1 CB as I’m not sure that is the biggest problem anymore.

The Cafs massive global scouting network must have some more decent options. for a laugh we should have a mass vote on the signings we want in still and forward the results to Ed somehow or at least the Daily Mail.

bucky

Koulibaly
Konaté
Dias
Upamecano
Milenkovic
Maguire
Tah
Diop

Who else is out there that could be decent. Keep in to account that midfield is a shambles and needs 2 bodies in it so we can only really have 1 CB as I’m not sure that is the biggest problem anymore.

The Cafs massive global scouting network must have some more decent options. for a laugh we should have a mass vote on the signings we want in still and forward the results to Ed somehow or at least the Daily Mail.
Elvedi (Gladbach), Zagadou, Diallo, Akanji (Dortmund), Hermoso (Espanyol), Nunez (Athletic), Kamara (Marseille)

Haven't seen all that much of Nunez and Kamara, but the others I am currently quite confident about. Zagadou purely for his potential is very interesting and he basically has it all to become a very good CB. He'd be more risky though, since that's more of a projection. Whether Dortmund are actually willing to part ways with one of them, who knows, but Hummels' return could mean that Diallo or Zagadou are available.

Patrick08

Why is Koulibaly unrealistic when it seems we are going to pay the same amount of money for Maguire?
Because he is 2 years older and we don't think we should spend that kind of money on a player who is 28.

Bestietom

We need to get the CB sorted but we also need 2 top midfielders. We were lacking in this area last season and it needs to be addressed.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
We need to get the CB sorted but we also need 2 top midfielders. We were lacking in this area last season and it needs to be addressed.
If Pogba stays and Bruno Fernandes comes in we may be OK with just giving a chance to Garner and playing McTominay regularly, but if we don't buy a quality CB, we are in for another miserable season.

Worried about paying world-record fee for Maguire, though. He's solid defensively, but doesn't seem like the kind of fast CB we need to start our attacks. Diop sounds like a much better fit, even if slightly less proven CB...

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This needs to stop. Napoli made it clear they don’t want to sell, Koulibaly just signed a new contract in January & the only realistic way to get him is by paying his release clause and that cost £130m.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This is 18 year old Benoit Badiashile who plays for Monaco in France. United have reportedly tried to sign him on two occasions in the past few years without success. L'Equipe reported a few days ago that we've entered the race for his signature.

Fer

This needs to stop. Napoli made it clear they don’t want to sell, Koulibaly just signed a new contract in January & the only realistic way to get him is by paying his release clause and that cost £130m.
That's too much money for a defender.

I would prefer to sign Alderweireld and Tierney for 50m instead of 80m for Maguire.

If we sell Lukaku (70m), we could use that money (and the 30m we didn't use for Maguire) to sign a RW.

But I guess we are going to use that money for Longstaff and Yedder.

Fer

How much it would cost Konate or Upamecano? Are they better than Milenkovic?

Ballist1x

Posts like these make me wonder, do people really think they have the better knowledge than scouts, coaches and other professionals on the highest level in the world? Doesn't even cross one's mind there might be more to it? Do you genuinely think Tuanzebe is currently a better player than Maguire?
Yes in many instances. How else do you explain Fred?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
How important is it for a LCB to be a lefty?
It’s not, I used to prefer the left side even being right footed. The issue is if you can’t use your left foot to a decent enough standard. Then you’re fecked.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think he should get some of Jones' minutes as I think Jones should be gone, but I still feel we need another centre-back.
Definitely. Even if they were all top notch defensively, jones, rojo and Bailly are all injury prone and unreliable. We cannot be going into a full season with lindelof (with his own struggles), smalling (with fans on his back) and tuanzabe (inexperience) as our only choices. Maguire is the best choice available when you look at overall his skills and experience

dev1l

My concern with a Maguire - Tuanzebe partnership is that none of them looks aggressive enough. Imo Maguire needs someone aggressive and fast alongside him. Having said that, I ve seen Tuanzebe only a couple of times.

Alemar

If we get Maguire, then it will be Maguire, Lindelof and Smalling as three primary options - simply on merit. Fine, but we will still have 4 more CBs (Tuanzebe, Bailly, Jones and Marcos Rojo).

A total of SEVEN senior CBs is too much by any standard (and there is Fosu-Mensah as well, after he recovers from his serious injury). It is mandatory to dispose of at least two CBs this window

Varun

Staff
If we get Maguire, then it will be Maguire, Lindelof and Smalling as three primary options - simply on merit. Fine, but we will still have 4 more CBs (Tuanzebe, Bailly, Jones and Marcos Rojo).

A total of SEVEN senior CBs is too much by any standard (and there is Fosu-Mensah as well, after he recovers from his serious injury). It is mandatory to dispose of at least two CBs this window
Won't be easy to get rid of the dross given the stupid wages we offer them.

Alemar

Won't be easy to get rid of the dross given the stupid wages we offer them.
Given the market, we can still receive 15-20m for any of Baiily, Jones or Rojo (and neither is on astronomical wages - rather high perhaps, but not unimaginably high). Sell two, and there is 30-35m of additional proceeds and some 150k/w off the wage bill.

They won’t play anyway, so it’s only logical to dispose of them (same for Darmian for a lesser fee, say 10m - he is a 5th option as a full-back and 8th option as a CB so won’t play either)

Redcy

Transfermarkt values Konate at £45m and Upamecano at £27m. Don't think know if we will get either for that price and not sure how good they are sorry.
Konate would probably be about 50-55, upanecano around 40. Trouble is both are young and playing in other leagues, v similar to lindelof and Bailly. Could turn out ok or awful. Arguably if maguire can’t be had you have to go diop at 70 or Toby at 25m and see what happens

SouthPredators4

To be honest, if push comes to shove, i will pay what Leicester wants for Maguire. However, that is contigent on us selling Darmian, Baily, Rojo and even Smalling. That should give us at least 55mil. Will roll with Maguire, Tuanzebe, Lindelof, Jones and a young centreback like Saliba. Nett spending would probably be 60mil and we have our back 4 sorted for the next decade.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
To be honest, if push comes to shove, i will pay what Leicester wants for Maguire. However, that is contigent on us selling Darmian, Baily, Rojo and even Smalling. That should give us at least 55mil. Will roll with Maguire, Tuanzebe, Lindelof, Jones and a young centreback like Saliba. Nett spending would probably be 60mil and we have our back 4 sorted for the next decade.
Arsenal bound.

romufc

I agree that we should sign Maguire to end the CB saga. However; I would argue that the ones to go are Baily, Rojo and Darmian. I don't see us selling Jones or Smalling as they signed new contracts. having 5 Cb over the season might be necessary.

However, i feel if Tuanzebe doesnt get regular game time, he will look to go elsewhere?

Eric's Seagull

Konate would probably be about 50-55, upanecano around 40. Trouble is both are young and playing in other leagues, v similar to lindelof and Bailly. Could turn out ok or awful. Arguably if maguire can’t be had you have to go diop at 70 or Toby at 25m and see what happens
Thanks for giving me a more frealirtic valuation. I think it might be a risk not to buy someone Premiership proven, in case it takes them a long time to adapt or even worse not adjust at all. Agree with your point in bold. I agree on Diop, as I am a big fan and would have liked us to go for him instead of Maguire and if we don't get Maguire,I think we should go for Diop and I would be very happy if we signed Diop :D

Axle17

It was blatantly obvious to everyone how poor we looked in the 2nd half against Inter. Smalling, Jones & Rojo are a calamity, the epitome of fumbleness.

Just send Darmian back to Italy in exchange for someone.. Anyone! Just take our money already!!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I hope we sign Badiashile from Monaco along with Maguire. Badiashile is only 18 but the potential is huge and could potentially save us a fortune in the future. I can't remember us signing a young CB with enormous potential in a long time.

Eric's Seagull

Definitely. Even if they were all top notch defensively, jones, rojo and Bailly are all injury prone and unreliable. We cannot be going into a full season with lindelof (with his own struggles), smalling (with fans on his back) and tuanzabe (inexperience) as our only choices. Maguire is the best choice available when you look at overall his skills and experience
I agree with your post. I think Rojo should also be gone because of his injury problems. Maguire would be a smart bet although I personally would have liked to go for Diop but the further we leave it towards the end of the window the harder we will find it to get anybody in as it leaves the selling club less time time to get a replacement also clubs are going to ask for extortionate fees as they know we are desperate.

Bestietom

I agree with your post. I think Rojo should also be gone because of his injury problems. Maguire would be a smart bet although I personally would have liked to go for Diop but the further we leave it towards the end of the window the harder we will find it to get anybody in as it leaves the selling club less time time to get a replacement also clubs are going to ask for extortionate fees as they know we are desperate.
I think we will sign Maguire, But I hope we go for 2 Midfielders after this signing. Things might be looking up after all.

Alemar

I think we will sign Maguire, But I hope we go for 2 Midfielders after this signing. Things might be looking up after all.
We don’t have room for 2 more midfielders if we don’t simultaneously sell at least one of those we already have. Most obvious candidates for sale would be Mata and Pereira